Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Locked Topic
Days of our Un-SORASed Lives; an ongoing project
Topic Started: Jan 2 2010, 11:16 AM (98,249 Views)
Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

You know, I was thinking the other day about how screwy soap characters' ages are and how too much SORASing totally fucks everything up. I mean, it's turned into a big joke that Alice's granddaughter Julie has a grandson (Scott) who would now be well into his 40s. Or how Mike Horton was in his 20s in the 1970s and then in his 30s in the 1990s. Or how Philip & Will were born the same year, but Philip is at least a decade older. And let's not even get started on baby Elvis...

Anyway, what I'm planning on doing (and posting the results here in this thread) is an overview of DAYS's entire history but told from the point of view that no one ever jumped from age 5 to 15 in the span of 6 months. In other words, no one has ever been SORASed. For example, Hope Williams was born in 1974, making her 35 today. "But she married Bo in 1985" you say. Did she marry him when she was 10?! Nope. She still married when she was 19, but that would've been in 1993. The son Shawn-Douglas was born in 1987 -- Hope was 21. That means Shawn-D would've really been born in 1995. Consequently, Shawn-D is only 14 today. So, exactly how old would everyone *really* be today? More interestingly, who hasn't even been born yet?!

As I said, this is an on-going project and it'll take some research for accurate dates (and, in some instances, I've got to make an educated guess), but I think this will be interesting. For the most part, the early years of the show are only a foundation because (to the best of my knowledge) Mike Horton was the first character SORASed in the early 1970s. I already have some preliminary findings, which I'll post shortly.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Ally
Member Avatar
The Royal Princess

Looking forward to this.

Don't forget Belle in 1999, she went upstairs as a kid and returned as a teenager when her parents returned from vacation. LOL.

Offline Profile Goto Top

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

Alrighty, let's get this show on the road...

When DAYS premiered in 1965, it introduced us to Tom & Alice Horton and their 5 grown children. Eldest son Tommy was already missing and presumed dead in Korea. Eldest daughter Addie (Tommy's twin) was married to Ben Olson, a wealthy banker, and they had two children, Julie & Steven. Next was Mickey, already a practicing lawyer, and then Marie, a lab tech at the hospital. Let's do some digging on ages, shall we?

It is widely established (in nearly every single reference source I can find) that Tom & Alice were married in 1930. In the last few years, Tom's birthyear is given as 1913 and Alice's is 1914 (Tom's appeared on a tombstone during the SSK storyline while Alice's was reference during one of the times the celebrated her birthday on air). However, I believe these dates to be inaccurate. First of all, those are the actual birthyears of Macdonald Carey & Frances Reid and I feel the writers gave Tom & Alice those birthyears in tribute to the performers. If those were accurate, then Tom & Alice were married when they were only 17 & 16 respectively. Of course, that's not so unheard of in 1930 (my own grandmother married in 1934 when she was 14), but I'm sure it's been reference over the years that Tom had either played minor-league baseball or had been in the military prior to the marriage (even though they were highschool sweethearts). Family trees printing in the 1995 Maureen Russell book "Days of Our Lives: A Complete History of the Long-Running Soap" gives Tom's birthyear at 1910 and Alice's birthdate as January 23, 1911. Tom's headstone in 2004 gives Tom's birthdate as March 15, 1913. In 2003, Alice's birth year was given as 1914. I believe that the dates given by Russell are accurate and make the most sense given the wedding date. So, let's establish this as FACT for the purposes of this project.

DR. TOM HORTON
born: March 15, 1910
ALICE GRAYSON HORTON
born: January 23, 1911

Tom & Alice were married in 1930 according to most sources I've found. However, according to the Maureen Russell book, they were married in 1929. Either date seems realistic and logical given our established birthdates. Although it would stand to reason that since we used the Russell reference for the birthyears, we should likewise use her reference for the marriage year. However, I've decided to ere on the side of majority and go with 1930 and the date of March 7, 1930 (source: Beth's Days Page)

Dr. TOM HORTON (age: 19/20) & ALICE GRAYSON (age: 19)
married: March 7, 1930

Tom & Alice's twins, Tom Jr. or Tommy and Addie were born in 1931, cited both both Maureen Russell's book as well as the 1995 Lorraine Zenka book "Days of Our Lives: The Complete Family Album". From the best of my research, no actual birth date has ever been given for the twins. Let's establish as FACT then that...

DR. TOM "TOMMY" HORTON, JR.
born: 1931
ADELAIDE "ADDIE" HORTON
born: 1931

Next born was Mickey Horton. The Maureen Russell book lists Mickey's birth year as 1932. Likewise, the Lorraine Zenka book states that Mickey was 33 in 1965 (which would correspond to the 1932 birth year). According to Beth's Days Page, Mickey's actual birth date is January 19, 1932. I believe we can accept as FACT that...

MICHAEL "MICKEY" HORTON
born: January 19, 1932

Our next Horton born is Bill Horton. According the the Maureen Russell book, Bill was born in 1939. According to the Lorraine Zenka book, Bill was 25. Since we've used the Russell reference for previous birth years, let's be consistant and use the 1939 year. I have not been able to locate an establish birth date, however. Let is now establish as FACT (for our purposes)...

DR. WILLIAM "BILL" HORTON
born: 1939

The youngest Horton child is Marie Horton. The Russell book states that Marie was born in 1942. The Zenka book also give 1942 as Marie's birth year (and states that she's a biochemistry graduate student). I don't think her actual birth date has ever been established. In any event, we can state as FACT that...

MARIE HORTON
born: 1942

Let's concluded this beginning post with this established Horton family tree...

DR. TOM HORTON (b.3/15/1910) & ALICE GRAYSON HORTON (b.1/23/1911)
married: 3/3/1930

DR. TOMMY HORTON (b.1931)
ADDIE HORTON (b.1931)
MICKEY HORTON (b.1/19/1932)
DR. BILL HORTON (b.1939)
MARIE HORTON (b.1942)
Edited by Matt, Jan 2 2010, 12:38 PM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

mirabella

What a wonderful idea and researcher you are! I am looking forward to the upcoming posts, too. This is so interesting and I have been wanting to know how old characters really are supposed to be. I know most of the younger generation but not the older ones.

Thanks for doing this. I know it is very time consuming.
Bella
Offline Profile Goto Top

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

Alright. Let's continue, shall we? In my last post, we established as FACT (for the purposes of this project)..

DR. TOMMY HORTON (b.1931)
ADDIE HORTON (b.1931)
MICKEY HORTON (b.1/19/1932)
DR. BILL HORTON (b.1939)
MARIE HORTON (b.1942)

Moving forward in time, let's focus on an adult Tommy. When DAYS premiered in 1965, Tommy was already missing in action and presumed dead in Korea. The Zenka book lists 1953 as the year Tommy disappeared. By this time, Tommy had already married Kitty and had fathered daughter Sandy. The Zenka book states that Tommy & Kitty met and married while he was in basic training and Sandy was born while Tommy was in Korea. According to the Zenka book, Kitty & Tommy first met at a USO dance in 1950. Therefore, Tommy & Kitty had to marry between 1950 & 1953. Since most military basic & specialized training can last between a few months to a year, let's say (for our purposes) that Tommy & Kitty married in 1951. The Korean War, itself, was from 1950 unitl amistace in 1953. I believe Tommy would've left for Korea in 1951 and I suspect that Sandy would've been born after his departure, either in 1951 or 1952. Heather North, the actress who played Sandy from 1967 - 1971 was born either in 1946 or 1950 (Wiki gives 46, IMDB gives 50). Of course, it's not uncommon for older actors to play younger. Martha Smith (Sandy #3 1982) was born in 1953 (both Wiki & IMDB). Pamela Royland (Sandy #4 1983-1984) was born in 1952 (IMDB). Given all this information, I propose that we establish an estemated birth year for Sandy Horton at 1952e (e = estemated). As for the age of Kitty, Regina Gleason who played Kitty from 1967-1969 was born 5/22/28 (according to Jason's site, neither Wiki nor IMDB lists a birthdate). John Lupton, who played Tommy from 1965-1972 & 1975-1979) was born 8/23/28 (Wiki & IMDB). Considering that both actors playing Tommy & Kitty were born the same year, I propose that we assume as FACT that both Tommy & Kitty were born the same year. Consequently, let's establish as FACT (for our purposes)...

DR. TOMMY HORTON (b.1931 - d.1953)
KITTY (maiden name unknown) HORTON (b.1931)
married: 1951 (Tommy, age: 20; Kitty, age: 20)

SANDY HORTON (b.1952)
(Tommy, age: 21; Kitty, age: 21)
Offline Profile Goto Top

lysie
Member Avatar

Wow. In a good way.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

Let's look at our Horton family tree up to this point before I move onto what will eventually be the most problematic branch of the family:

---DR. TOMMY HORTON (b.1931 - d.1953)
------KITTY HORTON (b.1931)
------(m.1951)
---------SANDY HORTON (b.1952e)
---ADDIE HORTON (b.1931)
---MICKEY HORTON (b.1/19/1932)
---DR. BILL HORTON (b.1939)
---MARIE HORTON (b.1942)

Now, let's look at Tommy's twin-sister Addie. I'm sure she never had any idea how complicated & problematic her branch of the family would become. According to the Zenka book, Tommy married wealthy Ben Olson in 1949 (making her roughly 18 at the time of the marriage). However, in the actual episodes, Alice mentioned that Ben & Addie had married in Washington right after the war (pesumabely WWII) which would put their wedding as early as late 1945. Pat Huston (Addie #1, 1965-1966) was born in 1928 (IMDB) (interestingly, the same year as the actor who would later play her twin Tommy). Patricia Barry (Addie #2 1971-1974) was born in 1921 (IMDB). Perhaps we should establish a wedding date via Ben & Addie's daughter Julie who was a teenager when the series began in 1965. Charla Doherty (Julie #1, 1965-1966) was born in 1946 (Wiki & IMDB). Again, it's obvious Doherty was playing younger. Catherine Dunn (Julie #2, 1967) was also born in 1946 (according to Jason's site where he lists her as Kathleen Dunn). Cathy Ferrar (Julie #3, 1967-1968) was also born in 1946 (according to Jason's site). Susan Seaforth (Julie #4, 1968-present off and on) was born in 1943 (Wiki, IMDB). Julie has long been established as the 1st born Horton grandchild and no mention has ever been made of her being born *before* Ben & Addie wed. She was at least 16 when DAYS premiered in 1965 (which would put her birth year around 1949). In an episode of Days on youtube from 1966, it is mentioned that Julie will be 18 soon (how soon, it doesn't say). If she's 17 in 1966, that again puts her birth year in 1949. Considering Addie was born in 1931, she would be 18 in 1949. I can't find any information about a birth date for Julie, so Ben & Addie could have married in early 49 while Julie was born in late 49 (presuming conception didn't occur before the wedding). Ben & Addie's son Steven is much easier to pin-point. According to Zenka's book, Steven is two years younger than Julie which, using the birth year of 1949 for Julie, would put Steven's birth year at 1951. Flip Mark (Steven #1, 1965) was born in 1948 (Wiki, IMDB, & Jason's). James Carroll Jordan (Steven #2, 1972) was born in 1950 (IMDB & Jason's). Stephen Schnetzer (Steven #3, 1978-1980) was born in 1948 (Wiki & IMDB). I think, given this information, that it's very safe to assume that Steven was, in fact, born in 1951. Now, as far as Ben Olson's age. I feel it's safe to assume that he's at least as old as Addie, putting his year of birth at 1931 or earlier. Robert Knapp was the only actor to play the role in 1965 and he was born in 1924 (IMDB & Jason's). That puts Ben's performer 4 years older than Addie's performer. Personally, I feel this is a realistic gap. Of course, we have no idea when Ben & Addie first met or how long they dated before they were married. Presuming that they met in Salem and that they had a short courtship (Ben was from a wealthy family and Addie was rather materialistic and concerned with social class and standing), I feel the 4 year age gap can be established as an estemated FACT for our purposes, putting Ben's birth year as 1927. That would mean that Ben was 22 when he and Addie married in 1949. So, let's establish as FACT the following....

ADDIE HORTON (b.1931)
BEN OLSON (b.1927e)
married: 1949 (Ben, age: 22; Addie, age: 18)

JULIE OLSON (b.1949)
(Ben, age: 22; Addie, age: 18)
STEVEN OLSON (b.1951)
(Ben, age: 24; Addie, age: 20)
Offline Profile Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

I have been doing the same type of project myself. I am currently at the year 1995.
Goto Top

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

Okay, let's see where we're at...

------(m.1951)
---ADDIE HORTON (b.1931)
------BEN OLSON (b.1927e)
------(m.1949)
---------JULIE OLSON (b.1949)
---------STEVEN OLSON (b.1951)
---MARIE HORTON (b.1942)

Since nothing has really gone on with Mickey & Bill prior to DAYS's premiere in 1965 (other than Mickey is an attorney and Bill is in Harvard Medical School according to Zenka's book), we'll move on to Marie who is a graduate student in biochemistry at Salem University and engaged to marry Horton nextdoor neighbor Tony Merritt. Dick Colla (Tony #1, 1965-1966) was born in 1936 (IMDB & Jason's). Don Briscoe (Tony #2, 1966) was born in 1940 (Wiki, IMDB, & Jason's). Ron Husmann (Tony #3, 1966-1967) was born 1937 (Wiki, IMDB, & Jason's). At the beginning of DAYS it is established that Tony is looking forward to a teaching fellowship in Boston. Tony would be at least Marie's age (b.1942) and at oldest, I'd guess late 20s (b.1936). For further clues to Tony's age, let's look at his father, airline pilot & widower Craig Merritt. David McLean (Craig #1, 1965-1967) was born in 1922 (Wiki, IMDB, & Jason's),making him 43 when Days premiered and 14 years older than Tony #1 & 18 years older than Tony #2. Harry Lauter (Craig #2, 1966) was born in 1914 (Wiki, IMDB, & Jason's) making the actor 8 years older than Craig #1. To be honest, in regards to Tony & Craig, we're just going to have to guess. lol I say, for the hell of it, we put Tony's birth year as 1938 (splitting the difference between all 3 Tonys) and Craig 20 years older with a birth year of 1918 (incidently, smack in the middle of the ages of both Craigs). It really doesn't mean much right now and Tony & Craig are both gone by 1967, but it's important for Marie's early story.

The only remaining important character introduced in 1965 is Diane Hunter, Mickey's girlfriend. Diane is established as being divorced with a teen-aged daughter named Susan. Susan is Julie's best friend at school and is presumed to be the same age (which means that Susan was born in 1949). Although Susan wasn't introduced until 1966, we'll go ahead and deal with her here. Denise Alexander (Susan #1, 1966-1973) was born in either 1939 (Wiki & IMDB) or 1944 (Jason's). Either way, she was playing younger if she's the same age as Julie. Bennye Gatteys (Susan #2, 1973-1976) was born in 1940 (Jason's). Either way, I don't think we can get away with saying that Susan was born in any other year than 1949. However, we might be able to push her birth year back to 1948 considering that Susan married David Martin (a character we'll deal with later) in 1966. Jane Kean (Diane #1, 1965-1966) was born in either 1923 (Jason's) or 1924 (Wiki & IMDB). Coleen Gray (Diane #2, 1966-1967) was born in 1922 (Wiki, IMDB, & Jason's). This means that Mickey was dating a *much* older woman. Considering that Susan #1 was obvious playing younger, we can presume that Diane #1 was playing younger as well and I would guess that Diane was around Ben & Addie's age. This would put her birth roughly 1931. This would make Diane 2 years older than Mickey. Personally, I think the gap is more obvious than that. I think Diane is actually about the same age as Ben, putting her birth year at 1927. When Diane is introduced, she is already divorced from Susan's father Richard Hunter. Terry O'Sullivan (who played Richard from 1966-1968) was born 1915 (Wiki, IMDB, & Jason's). For anyone who cares about such things, O'Sullivan is probably best known for his decade long run as Arthur Tate (Joanne's husband) on 'Search for Tomorrow'. Anyway, Richard was already 50ish when he was introduced (much older than the rest of the characters), so we really can't garner any good pin point for Diane's age. So, for the hell of it, let's say Susan was born in 1948, Diane was born in 1927, and Richard (being signifcantly older) was born in 1920. This gives our premiere list of characters (keeping in mind that Bill came on in 1965, but after the premiere and both Susan & Richard didn't start until 1966) as follows, setting as FACT (at least for our purposes)...

------(m.1951)
---ADDIE HORTON (b.1931)
------BEN OLSON (b.1927e)
------(m.1949)
---------JULIE OLSON (b.1949)
---------STEVEN OLSON (b.1951)
---MARIE HORTON (b.1942)

CRAIG MERRITT (b.1918e)
MRS. MERRITT (unknown, but deceased prior to 1965)
---TONY MERRITT (b.1938e)

RICHARD HUNTER (b.1920e)
DIANE HUNTER (b.1927e)
(married and divorced prior to 1965)
---SUSAN HUNTER (b.1948)

And that brings us up to the November 8, 1965 premier. Starting with my next installment, we start building upon this foundation with actual on-air events. As I said before, the 1st 5 years are easy. It's not until poor young Mike Horton starts getting SORASed that things start to go wonky for the Salem Time Line.
Offline Profile Goto Top

IMissAremid
Member Avatar
After all... tomorrow is another day!

hmmm. how does that work if Alice was married in March 1930, yet was already finishing up her second pregnancy in Jan. 1932? Did she already have a bun in the oven when her and Tom married? ;)

I mean... I guess if Alice IMMEDIATELY conceived on her wedding night she could have given birth to the twins in late Dec-early Jan and then if she immediately conceived again as soon as she and Tom were able she could have gotten knocked up with Mickey. Hmmm.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

IMissAremid
Jan 2 2010, 03:53 PM
hmmm. how does that work if Alice was married in March 1930, yet was already finishing up her second pregnancy in Jan. 1932? Did she already have a bun in the oven when her and Tom married? ;)

I mean... I guess if Alice IMMEDIATELY conceived on her wedding night she could have given birth to the twins in late Dec-early Jan and then if she immediately conceived again as soon as she and Tom were able she could have gotten knocked up with Mickey. Hmmm.
Do you think Tom & Alice's wedding should be pushed back to 1929 as the Russell book states? That would put Alice at 18 and Tom at 19 when they married, still within the bounds of realism given the 1910 & 1911 birth years. Does anyone else have thoughts? I'd like the ages nailed down by concenses of everyone before I go forward.
Offline Profile Goto Top

jam6242
Member Avatar

Matt
Jan 2 2010, 04:13 PM
IMissAremid

Do you think Tom & Alice's wedding should be pushed back to 1929 as the Russell book states? That would put Alice at 18 and Tom at 19 when they married, still within the bounds of realism given the 1910 & 1911 birth years. Does anyone else have thoughts? I'd like the ages nailed down by concenses of everyone before I go forward.
I think 18 & 19 are reasonable ages for marriage during that time period. I think the 1910 and 1911 birth dates for Alice & Tom are most accurate. In the script of the first episode that Jason47 posted on his website, it specifically states that Tom is 55 and Alice is 54. The script also says Mickey is 33 and Marie is 23.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

jam6242
Jan 2 2010, 04:34 PM
Matt
Jan 2 2010, 04:13 PM
IMissAremid

I think 18 & 19 are reasonable ages for marriage during that time period. I think the 1910 and 1911 birth dates for Alice & Tom are most accurate. In the script of the first episode that Jason47 posted on his website, it specifically states that Tom is 55 and Alice is 54. The script also says Mickey is 33 and Marie is 23.
Oh! I didn't see that script! I've got the 1st ep of DAYS on tape, but I never read the actual script. I'm inclined to adjust Tom & Alice's wedding date to 1929 despite the prevelant use of 1930 in quite a few places. The Maureen Russell book makes a point of stating that all dates given are taken from actual scripts and show bible material, so (at least IMO) that might be given more merit.
Offline Profile Goto Top

☼ Jinx ☼
Member Avatar
Live. Love. Laugh. ♥

I look forward to reading your findings, Matt. Such a wonderful idea.
Offline Profile Goto Top

esp13
Member Avatar

I don't think you need to change the wedding year because that doesn't really effect the date of birth of the kids. If Tom and Alice married in early 1930, the twins could have been born in early 1931. The bigger issue is Mickey's January birthdate. Alice would have had to have gotten pregnant with Mickey pretty quickly, but it's not unheard of. I have two friends who both have kids that are almost exactly one year apart. So, I think we can make it work. It's not out of the realm of believability and that's what matters in all of this.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Dorothy595
Member Avatar

I thought the oddest sorasing was of Brady and Belle. They went from toddlers to teens while John and Marlena were on their honeymoon.
Offline Profile Goto Top

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

esp13
Jan 2 2010, 04:51 PM
I don't think you need to change the wedding year because that doesn't really effect the date of birth of the kids. If Tom and Alice married in early 1930, the twins could have been born in early 1931. The bigger issue is Mickey's January birthdate. Alice would have had to have gotten pregnant with Mickey pretty quickly, but it's not unheard of. I have two friends who both have kids that are almost exactly one year apart. So, I think we can make it work. It's not out of the realm of believability and that's what matters in all of this.
I actually went to high school with siblings who were 10 months apart, and the timing was such that, at that time, they could still be in the same class. (She was born in October and he was born in August, I think, and the cut-off date for starting school was late August.). It's plausible.
Offline Profile Goto Top

cassie1013

Ooh, love this! I can never figure out the age difference between Julie, Doug and Hope... unless Addie was older when she had Hope..
Offline Profile Goto Top

jam6242
Member Avatar

cassie1013
Jan 2 2010, 05:31 PM
Ooh, love this! I can never figure out the age difference between Julie, Doug and Hope... unless Addie was older when she had Hope..
Addie was older when she had Hope. Julie was married with a son of her own when Hope was born, and Julie and Hope's brother Steven was also an adult then.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Eric83
Member Avatar
"Relax nobody's having sex.... at least not yet"

This is great! Thanks Matt.
Offline Profile Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create a free forum in seconds.
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Locked Topic