Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Weekly Discussion: 1/4-1/8
Topic Started: Jan 2 2010, 10:48 PM (19,570 Views)
leela46
Member Avatar

Thanks Matt, for the trip down memory lane. I was watching Days back then but I had forgotten some of the details of the Mickey/Maggie storyline. They just don't write soaps like that anymore. So many people only know Days during the eighties and onward supercouple era. But I really feel Days best writing was prior to that. There were no prisms, brain chips, or implanted memories. Just good emotional, character based storytelling. Days seems to be trying to return to that and I for one am glad.

I am especially enjoying the Bo/Carly/Hope/Justin story going on now. Adding Vivian and Victor to the mix is only making everything better. Bo learning about Hope and Justin's kiss is only going to push Bo further towards Carly.

It looks like this is going to be a great week this week on Days. It seems like all the storylines are really going to be pushed into high gear.

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

And soap towns were small then. There were mutlinational corporate conglomerates and shipping companies headquartered in tiny Salem. The biggest (and pretty much only) company in town was Anderson Manufacturing. There were no "super villains". Instead, you had cads like Neil Curtis (a womanizer with a gambling problem) and connivers like Brooke Hamilton (secretly Bob Anderson's daughter, she wanted her piece of the Anderson money and started imbezzling it from Anderson Manufacturing and tried to help her dying mother Adele) or Linda Phillip trying to use her daughter Melissa to come between Mickey & Maggie (or Mickey, in a psychotic rage, attempting to kill his brother Bill). No wonder Days was so close to the top of the ratings in the 1970s along with Another World.

Alligato
Member Avatar

I am starting to like the Bo/Carly/Hope/Justin/Victor/Vivian story going on...except I don't know why I was annoyed with Victor giving Hope a good lashing. I mean, it was good to see someone shut her up, but Victor really isn't in a position to talk about relationships and what works.
Loved the Barly flashback...I really am kind of torn as to what pair I am rooting for. Great job, writers!
I might have missed something last week, but why does Vivian have the puzzle box in her room?

Brady and Nicole were pretty good. Kind of random, but it was nice to see Nicole again, and Brady's little pep talk was nice. It is a cold day in Hawaii when someone in Salem says "I messed up, I deserve to be punished"...good for you, Nicole!

I liked Phillip and Nathan, and DAMN if he doesn't look like Matt Damon. I didn't expect Stephanie to ditch him like that just on what Phillip said. Doesn't she want his side? And really, Stephanie has nothing to do with Nathan wanting to caution Melanie about Phillip. HOw does that relate to her? She Nathan stop giving a shit because he and Steph are an item?
Oh, and why are those two hotties fighting over Melanie? Like Sami, she ain't all that.

Speaking of, I think that is why I enjoyed the show so much today...no Sami. When I saw the preview of her and EJ plotting, I felt dread on having to watch it.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Matt
Jan 4 2010, 03:20 PM
And soap towns were small then. There were mutlinational corporate conglomerates and shipping companies headquartered in tiny Salem. The biggest (and pretty much only) company in town was Anderson Manufacturing. There were no "super villains". Instead, you had cads like Neil Curtis (a womanizer with a gambling problem) and connivers like Brooke Hamilton (secretly Bob Anderson's daughter, she wanted her piece of the Anderson money and started imbezzling it from Anderson Manufacturing and tried to help her dying mother Adele) or Linda Phillip trying to use her daughter Melissa to come between Mickey & Maggie (or Mickey, in a psychotic rage, attempting to kill his brother Bill). No wonder Days was so close to the top of the ratings in the 1970s along with Another World.
It was also all about the characters and relationships. It was simple storytelling. The emotions is what made it complex. Stories were paced beautifully and you didn't need big, melodramatic moments or twists to move stories. It was all about the characters interactions and the writing. Simple scenes with characters talking to family members would push story forward.

The show has gotten back to that and they were right to. It's what soaps are all about. It's the characters and the writing that draws people in and gets them to care. It's not about supercouples or stunts. What I think Days is doing well is that it recognizes that it had to go back to this but they also kept enough "destined lovers" feel and campiness to keep it's other fans interested.

That is why I loved the way they handled the baby switch reveal. I know that went that route mainly out of budget reasons and out of the approach they took with the story but it was about the characters and rightfully so. The payoff was seeing Nicole vs Sami, EJ vs Nicole, etc and the rest of the fallout. Just seeing those characters play out those scenes made the payoff worth it. I think it was Brad Bell who said that the current period of budget woes is forcing shows to put more emphasis on writing and what soaps are supposed to be and I think he is right. Budget cuts have forced shows like Days and OLTL to watch their spending and to compensate with their writing and, as a result, it's like being back in the 70's.

The closet I can remember Days being to this is the period between late 1990-JER's arrival. You had both Hope and Steve gone. Roman and Marlena were on their last legs as the affair story was starting. You still had Jack and Jennifer as a supercouple and Bo and Carly were up and coming but, other then that, it was all about the characters. There was no feeling that so and so HAD to be together. The show took fans on a journey to see if said couple would end up together. The suspense was there. You had a sense of who the rooting couples were at times but you never felt it was certain they would end up together. That is the way to approach it. Keep things open and keep people in suspense. That is what makes people watch. If fans know who will end up together, they won't care and the ratings drop. You can't invest in a story for which you already know the outcome. That is why how Days approaches Bo and Carly in the next few months MAY be vital. If they can convince enough people that they have a chance, then I see the show having a goldmine of a story on it's hands in regards to all involve there.

I just hope the show continues on the route it is. It just keeps getting progressively better writing-wise and I just read on SON that Carolyn Culliton is joining Days as a SW and is joining her husband, Richard, who is Days' BEST SW. That can only make things better.

luvpumpkns
Member Avatar

it was really hard for me to like nathan today. i wish someone would ask him why he wants melanie back, or at least why he is so concerned with her well-being, since she couldn't be alone with philip for more than five minutes while she was dating nathan without falling all herself to make out with him. i'm just at a total loss as to why nathan isn't anything but pissed at her. yay for stephanie, tho. it's rare when the third wheel stands up for themselves and shows a glimmer of self-respect, so good for her for refusing to help nathan.

not sure how i feel about how quickly justin and hope threw bo and carly under the bus to hide their own snooping. i don't know, it just felt so tattle-taleish when they both immediately ratted bo and carly out to make themselves look better, especially justin, as it isn't any of his business to be spreading bo and hope's marital problems around town.

the nicole/brady stuff was random, but enjoyable. i can accept them as a couple, but i wish the writers wouldn't have done this 'they've loved each other all along' story. i'd rather see a couple, i don't know, fall in love instead of being told they've done so when that makes no sense.

Kevc1980
Member Avatar

This storyline between Bo, Hope, Carly, Justin, Victor and Vivian is fantastic. I'm loving all the interactions we are getting. It's great seeing all these vets getting so much airtime.

Halloween Family
Member Avatar

Hope's selfishness was highlighted with her using the Justin kissing as a cover. Loved Victor scolding Hope. You can see Vic is upset over this and wants to side completely with Bo but Hope is Isabella right now, making it too hard for him to be too cold with her. I am really loving Kristen Alfonso right now, very expressive eyes. The Carbo flashback was good but the multiple bell ringing started to give me a headache. I continue to be impressed with how well CC and PR have aged. There are some problems with Carbo, the "oh, I can't come between you & Hope" crap gets old but it's totally understandable why they keep seeking one another out. While I am enjoying Carly/CC, I think KA is a much better actress from what I've seen so far. Oh and Bo is going to demolish Justin.

Give it a rest already, Brady! Props to Ari again for the no makeup, it didn't look like she had a stitch on...too bad they ruined it with the wig.

The quad is a mess. I'm not convinced Nathan is all that into Melanie. He's more of a protective big brother and they should play it from that angle. Stephanie's dress was strange but she was so pretty in it. I'm really loving Stephanie in this quad, I don't see her as a weak link at all, loved that she tore up the release form. The best are when Steph and Mel interact, it's full of jealousy, resentment, guilt and softness all at once.

six
Member Avatar

luvpumpkns
Jan 4 2010, 05:16 PM
not sure how i feel about how quickly justin and hope threw bo and carly under the bus to hide their own snooping. i don't know, it just felt so tattle-taleish when they both immediately ratted bo and carly out to make themselves look better, especially justin, as it isn't any of his business to be spreading bo and hope's marital problems around town.
LOL, as soon as Victor confronted Hope, I thought "now she's going to throw Bo under the bus to save herself" and I see she didn't disappoint. On one hand, I can't blame her since she had to have some kind of explanation, but on the other hand, I think she was waiting for an opening to do that since she saw it. Justin on the other hand was his usual sneaky self. Was he always like this? Lurking in the background, smirking, and manipulating things in his favor? He needs to grow a handlebar mustache so he can twirl the ends while he causes trouble.

Loved the Vic/Hope confrontation, though, and how everything has fallen into place. Things are being built on a bunch of misunderstandings, but they're plausible.

I'm starting to like Stephanie again, and am glad she left Nathan to rot. It's nice to see someone with some self respect.

It's insane that we have Sami living it up juxtaposed by Nicole barely making it through the day. Since Sami is coping just fine for the most part, why am I supposed to be upset with Anna and her accomplice again? Team Sydanna all the way.
Edited by six, Jan 4 2010, 06:05 PM.

Mirage75
Member Avatar

Loved the Justin/Hope/Victor and even that annoying gnat Vivian scenes today. Justin and Hope are lucky that their story was somewhat bought, but not really lol. It was a good try.

I wanted to smack Victor though, why the hell did Justin have to move out? :( He's family damn it!!! And yet that annoying gnat Vivian still gets to live there. I'm so livid about that. Justin belongs there more so than Vivian. Victor can bite me on that decision. I understand why he was angry, but still he could have kept Justin there. So annoyed. There goes my hope of any good Kiriakis moments between Justin/Victor/Phillip/Brady. :(

Vivian was somewhat tolerable with Justin- I credit Justin for that. I liked their interaction and I hope that there is more scenes between those two. Wally and Louise were fun to watch.

Maybe both Justin/Hope did throw Bo/Carly under the bus, but oh well... it just makes the story even messier lol.

I enjoyed the Justin/Hope scenes. I want more. And I liked Justin's flashback of the kiss. that looked pretty hot! Hopefully they will have more in the future.

As for the rest of the show- I still find Bo/Carly boring together. Adore them, but I just find them contrived. How I'm still enjoying the whole Justin/Hope/Bo/Carly quad story.

The Hope/Victor scenes were good.

Vivan certainly gives Maggie a run for her money as the town gossip.

As for the quad with Phillip/Melanie/Nathan/Stephanie- I found boring. I just don't see what both Phillip and Nathan see in Melanie. i just don't get it. oh well...

I enjoyed today especially the stuff with my favorite story.

dc cubs
Member Avatar

Decent show today. Good for Stephanie in leaving Nathan's ass in jail.

I still can't help myself in feeling sympathy for Nicole. Apparently neither can Brady.

I loved the Victor and Hope scenes. He was really pissed at her. I'm adoring Vivian and she just loved telling Bo that gossip. My Bo/Carly heart loved that flashback.

I didn't see a Days trivia question today. I enjoy them so I hope Days hasn't cut them.

Lambchop

Quote:

While I am enjoying Carly/CC, I think KA is a much better actress from what I've seen so far.

While I enjoy KA as Hope, and think she is talented, I think CC is the best actress working in soaps.

I think it is very subjective. :smile:

Halloween Family
Member Avatar

Lambchop
Jan 4 2010, 07:48 PM
Quote:

While I am enjoying Carly/CC, I think KA is a much better actress from what I've seen so far.

While I enjoy KA as Hope, and think she is talented, I think CC is the best actress working in soaps.

I think it is very subjective. :smile:
I do agree about the subjective part. When Carly had her first breakdown, the crying looked fake and when she had her meltdown that spawned the Carbo kiss it was OTT. It wasn't bad, it conveyed what the character was going through, it just didn't seem authentic. I am hoping that Hope has a huge chew up the scenary freak out moment not only to compare but I think it would entertaining to see KA challenged in a good way. KA's eyes express tons of emotion.

IMissAremid
Member Avatar
After all... tomorrow is another day!

I was kind of bored with today's show.

I wish I could get invested with Bricole but knowing AZ is about to ship off to maternity leave and just the stupid way they've tried to convince us that Brady simultaneously has this intense (and not physical AT ALL unfortunately) loving connection with Nicole at the same time he's also so in love with Arianna... yet Brady's not actually supposed to be a cad or a douchebag being in love with these two women but actually the upstanding hero despite how fickle he is... it's just a mess the way it's written. Like someone mentioned upthread, I would have much rather they really went all out and had Brady and Nicole fall for each other (rather than just subtly hint at some super romance they had in the past) in the midst of her going to such lengths to get and hang on to EJ before realizing it wasn't EJ she really wanted after all and then just at that point you could have had Brady just making love to Arianna for the first time and then the real soapy fur could fly. Or the show could have told an interesting story with Brady actually going on the run WITH Nicole before knowing the full story of what happened and him thinking he was protecting her from EJ and her being torn with really caring for him but needing to lie to him out of necessity and them getting closer to each other in the process and them having sex just before Nicole got caught, resulting in an extremely hurt Brady no longer protecting Nicole (which would be more realistic than this knight in shining armor doormat who is supposedly in love with someone else) and then when she comes back to Salem from early release or whatever she can be pregnant with a miracle Bricole baby just as Brady has truly moved on with Arianna or maybe is about to marry her *sigh* But I guess if I was writing the show a lot of things would be different.

The way they are writing Melanie still has me turned off to the quad so I couldn't get that much excitement out of all of that.

Victor just seemed like such a jerk going off on Hope the way he was. As if he has any room to talk as some paragon of virtue. And all this time he's been going on about what a whore Carly is and badmouthing Bo to Hope as well that it just seemed out of nowhere to me that he even cared how Hope was hurting Bo. Maybe it just especially seemed harsh to me because I am probably one of the few people who actually feel bad for Hope getting cheated upon and of course we all knew that it wasn't a real kiss between her and Justin. Glad Justin is moving out of the KiMansion though. He always had issues with Victor so at least him seeing this kiss gives an impetus for Justin and Victor to revisit their rift.

Vivian sure is a treat even in an otherwise lackluster show.
Edited by IMissAremid, Jan 4 2010, 08:20 PM.

mbdimera
Member Avatar

Normally I'm indifferent to Stephanie, but I actually felt bad for her today. Nathan was a jerk and I wished Phillip would have punched him again.

Victor is always a hoot, even if his rantings and ravings make no sense. His being offended over Justin & Hope kissing seemed a bit OTT. I LOL'd when he compared Carly to Nicole, Sami and Chloe all rolled into one. :laugh:

I love Bricole and can't wait to see what they do with them when AZ gets back. :wub:

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

I was a little surprised Victor told Justin to leave. I wasn't expecting him to kick out Hope and Ciara, but Justin has always been like a son to him. But I guess Victor's quest for acceptance from Bo makes him do things like this to the family members that actually claim him (Justin and Philip). The same thing goes for Brady. It seems like he'll bend over backwards to cater to Brady, in hopes that it makes up with the time he lost with Isabella. Poor Philip.

I'm starting to think Bo and Carly definitely have long-term potential. These two together are really starting to make me forget all about Bo and Hope's destined to be together crap that we've been fed for the last two decades. Unlike Billie, I can see Bo choosing Carly in the end and it would work.

Nathan was definitely written as the unfavored person in today's episode and I don't think that was intended. But it definitely came out that way. If we're supposed to be rooting for Nathan and Melanie in the end, they can't have Nathan acting the way he did today. It seemed like he was being written to prop Philip and I don't think that's the case at all, or it shouldn't be.

I'm so glad Philip told Stephanie that Nathan isn't over Melanie and that's what the fight was about. And good for Stephanie for storming out of the station, leaving Nathan on his own. I saw that spark that Stephanie used to have today and I hope it continues because she's been written like a wet blanket for too long now. This is Steve and Kayla's daughter, damnit!

I wasn't into Brady and Nicole's scenes at all today. They just felt out of place throughout the entire episode. That and the fact that Arianne Zucker's going to be leaving soon, which means Nicole will be off-screen for a while, I can't get into this. Hopefully, once Zucker returns, Brady and Nicole will be given the fair shot they deserve as a couple.

Red Mist
Member Avatar

I could not agree more with Vivian...Carly is a little Tramp. I about puked when Carly brought up New Years with Bo on the boat...Oh heavens no, you don't want to get in the middle of a marriage...Never! *Rolls Eyes* She is the classic Damsel in distress, and he is the classic hero complex...UGH!

I I I I I.......That is all ( I ) EVER hear Nicole say...It is all about her. And pod Brady is pathetic. I am going to start forwarding through their scenes. They are use-less...same ole dialogue another day. I have no pity for Nicole and no repsect for Brady.

I spaced off during the Nathan and Philly exchange. Mind blowingly boring. This whole sl sucks. I don't give a fig about these characters.

Today was pretty bland. Vivan once again was the only thing I enjoyed.

I love how protective she is of Victor.

Her toying with Bo was fun.

I am starting to like Justin.

uclan
Member Avatar

:puke: Justin sucks. But I can see him going after Hope, cause he's rebounding.
Yeah they wrote Nathan as the bad guy...but Philip is an ass. His arguments and justifications were lame and his spin to Steph was pure manipulation. He played her like a fiddle. And when did Stephanie and Nathan become an item. One date does not a couple make. I thinks Stephanie's gullabilty and jealousy made her act that way. Boy, Vic and Viv are real busybodies.

Mirage75
Member Avatar

DrewHamilton
Jan 4 2010, 08:33 PM
I was a little surprised Victor told Justin to leave. I wasn't expecting him to kick out Hope and Ciara, but Justin has always been like a son to him. But I guess Victor's quest for acceptance from Bo makes him do things like this to the family members that actually claim him (Justin and Philip). The same thing goes for Brady. It seems like he'll bend over backwards to cater to Brady, in hopes that it makes up with the time he lost with Isabella. Poor Philip.

You make a good point about Victor doing this to family members that truly accept him for who he is like Justin and Phillip. I know his reason for being so offended was because of Bo, but still... it was heart breaking to watch him kick Justin out like that. :( I didn't like it.

I miss Justin/Victor's "father/son" relationship. I wish we had that again.

I think the writers are writing this quad (Justin/Hope/Bo/Carly) very well. Nobody is really the bad guy in any of this. Of course that depends on what side you're on lol. But you can definitely see that either one of those pairings would work for those characters.

Edited by Mirage75, Jan 4 2010, 09:47 PM.

lazydazes
Member Avatar

I enjoyed today's show. :cheer: I always enjoy Bricole and can't wait for AZ to return so that they can truly flesh out the story. The writers have really only teased the audience with the prospect in a few episodes or so. So, I'm one fan hoping to get the real deal when Nicole returns.
Vivian and Victor are always a delight to watch. I loved that line that Vivian used on Bo, "Oh, dear. You are already having a bad day." Vivian was absolutely busting at the seams to tell Bo about Hope/Justin. That's why I love the character of Vivian so much. She's a terror on one hand then a comedian on the next one. I just love it.
Even though the story has a lot of twists and turns, I'm still digging the fact that Kristian Alfonso and Peter Reckell have finally landed a frontburner storyline. Crystal Chappell has always been one of my favorite actresses as well. They are still great after all these years. I'll admit to being both a Bo/Hope and Bo/Carly fan. I am absolutely thrilled with the direction of this story.
As for the quad, I never thought the day would come where I would actually like Melanie. But, by golly, I do. As for who I want her with, I'm kind of conflicted. While I like Melanie/Phillip together, I think that Melanie/Nathan would make a viable match. When Nathan was pleading his case using those puppy dog eyes of his, I was all about Nathan/Melanie. For a split second, Melanie/Nathan reminded me of Jack/Jenn. Odd, I know. So, I'm actually thinking that I want Nathan to win her heart.

AlisonLou

uclan
Jan 4 2010, 09:22 PM
:puke: Justin sucks. But I can see him going after Hope, cause he's rebounding.
Yeah they wrote Nathan as the bad guy...but Philip is an ass. His arguments and justifications were lame and his spin to Steph was pure manipulation. He played her like a fiddle. And when did Stephanie and Nathan become an item. One date does not a couple make. I thinks Stephanie's gullabilty and jealousy made her act that way. Boy, Vic and Viv are real busybodies.
I agree with you about Justin. He's just not doing enough for me in this sl. I like him as Hope's friend but that's it. There is no chemistry with him and Hope. That kiss with them was awkward. I didn't see anthing hot about it! He is getting a bit more agressive in his pursuit of Hope. But geez did he have to make moves on Hope on christmas day? In front of Ciara and Bo? It happened off screen. According to what Bo said to Carly that's what he did! It makes Justin look sleezy!Of all days Justin could have put the moves on Hope did it have to be christmas day? That's not cool! I don't know why they had Bo talk about christmas day if it didn't happen onscreen! Hope and Justin have generated very little to no interest on any of the boards as a potential couple. I don't get how they can possibly have these two as a couple! I'd much rather see Justin with Carly or someone else like Chloe then have him paired with Hope. I wonder why the writer had Justin move to the inn though? Was it so he could shag Hope without Victor walking in? I seriously hope these two don't have sex! How nauseating! I'm not looking forward to the Bo and Carly sex so I would really like it if they could not go there with Justin and Hope. I don't know about anyone else but I'm not about a married couple cheating on each other! Especially when they are still married! I hated Bope cheating on each other in the Billie/Patrick storyline and I doubt I'll like them cheating in this sl! Anyone remember the infamous split screen with Bo/Billie/Hope/Patrick it was soooo gross! I DO NOT want to revist THAT! It was like the writer had a porno fantasy when he was writing it and decided to have it come alive on screen! They didn't need the cheating in that sl it would have been much better without it! Just like I think this sl would be much better without the cheating!

As for Bo and Carly being a couple in the future I don't think it will happen. I do think Bo and Hope will get back together! Also the ratings have really not done them any favours. The ratings for christmas week were just posted and Days lost viewers again and are in danger of losing the 3rd spot. The ratings for last week should be interesting! If Days lose anymore viewers they will lose the 3rd spot. Bo and Carly were on alot on christmas week and that was when she confessed to Bo she was falling in love with him again. To me the writers made a big mistake breaking up Bo and Hope and it is showing now. The ratings are starting to get bad again. Days should be gaining viewers not losing them.
Edited by AlisonLou, Jan 5 2010, 01:38 AM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply