Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Sourcebooks to Launch Days of Our Lives Book Line
Topic Started: Jan 7 2010, 01:01 PM (1,504 Views)
dc cubs
Member Avatar

Thank to Daytime Confidential for the tip.

Sourcebooks to Launch Days of Our Lives Book Line

By Rachel Deahl -- Publishers Weekly, 1/5/2010 1:40:00 PM

While General Hospital may be stealing many of the headlines these days for featuring James Franco's art project-inspired arc as bad boy artist Franco, that soap isn't the only afternoon drama trying to shake things up. Days of Our Lives, which has been on the air since 1965, has inked a publishing partnership with Sourcebooks to do a line of branded titles. The deal, brokered by agent Jeff Herman and done in conjunction with Corday Productions (the production company of Days executive producer Ken Corday) and Sony Pictures Consumer Products, will produce nonfiction and fiction titles, from novels featuring the cast to historical "behind the scenes" accounts of the show itself.

Days of Our Lives Publications will launch with the May 2010 title, by Corday (who is also the son of the creators of the show, Ted and Betty Corday), The Days of Our Lives: The Untold Story of One Family's Deam and the True History of The Days of Our Lives. Sourcebooks calls the title "an insider memoir" about the family behind the soap, adding that it will show fans "the true stories that drive the fictional ones they love on TV." Sourcebooks is also planning a coffee table-style illustrated book to celebrate the show's 45th anniversary for release in the fall, as well as a number of novels based on Days characters.

According to Sourcebooks, Days, which airs on NBC, reaches some three million viewers daily.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

Well, now! Looks like I better start clearing some space on my shelves for some new reference books. :P

Ally
Member Avatar
The Royal Princess

Matt
Jan 7 2010, 01:06 PM
Well, now! Looks like I better start clearing some space on my shelves for some new reference books. :P
You and Jason better copyright what you've written....Corday may use it, and claim it as his own.

Thanks dc cubs for posting!

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

Awesome!

jane1978

Sounds wonderfull. I always hoped Corday will write a book about backstage of the show. As for the novels, I wonder who will be the writers and if it will focus more on current or past characters. They could create a whole line of books focused on the different past supercouples and with no budget and focus groups limitation finally give them the big sweeping romantic adventures the fans are craving for.

Southofsoap
Member Avatar

Ally
Jan 7 2010, 01:08 PM
Matt
Jan 7 2010, 01:06 PM
You and Jason better copyright what you've written....Corday may use it, and claim it as his own.
Better yet, you should contact Sourcebooks about writing the book for them!

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Wow! Awesome news!

I suspect this is mostly driven by finances. It's another source of revenue for the show. I really wish they would start releasing some DVD's too. That is something just waiting to be explored for at least a trial run.

I don't think the backstage stuff will be anything too scandalous. it will all be filtered, which I guess is no surprise.

Whatever the case, it will still be great. The last time they released a book for any reason was the 30th Anniversary, I believe.

I'm very interested in whatever original content they produce too in terms of novels. That is intriguing.

Days4Life

This is a great idea. I may have to buy a new bookshelf.

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

PhoenixRising05
Jan 7 2010, 02:11 PM
Wow! Awesome news!

I suspect this is mostly driven by finances. It's another source of revenue for the show. I really wish they would start releasing some DVD's too. That is something just waiting to be explored for at least a trial run.

I don't think the backstage stuff will be anything too scandalous. it will all be filtered, which I guess is no surprise.

Whatever the case, it will still be great. The last time they released a book for any reason was the 30th Anniversary, I believe.

I'm very interested in whatever original content they produce too in terms of novels. That is intriguing.
I can only hope that they'd release some kind of DVD collections. From the best of my understanding, the Cordays kept every episode of the show (unlike P&G and the networks which didn't start keeping all eps until the early 80s). I know releasing every episode on DVD is a daunting (and some say impossible) task. Look how long it took Dark Shadows to release all 5 years. However, I'd be all in favor of couple-centric or storyline-centric boxed sets. Can you imagine "The Complete Story of Doug & Julie's 'Look of Love'"? It could be full of select episodes and clips chonicalling their entire history in one boxed set. It would include their first meet, Doug's wedding to Addie, Hope's birth, Addie's death, the full episodes surround both on-screen weddings, Julie's facial scarring in the fire, Doug's marriage to villainous Lee Dumonde, and others, all introduced by Bill & Susan Hayes with commentary on select episodes. I'd buy it in a heart beat.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Matt
Jan 7 2010, 02:19 PM
PhoenixRising05
Wow! Awesome news!

I can only hope that they'd release some kind of DVD collections. From the best of my understanding, the Cordays kept every episode of the show (unlike P&G and the networks which didn't start keeping all eps until the early 80s). I know releasing every episode on DVD is a daunting (and some say impossible) task. Look how long it took Dark Shadows to release all 5 years. However, I'd be all in favor of couple-centric or storyline-centric boxed sets. Can you imagine "The Complete Story of Doug & Julie's 'Look of Love'"? It could be full of select episodes and clips chonicalling their entire history in one boxed set. It would include their first meet, Doug's wedding to Addie, Hope's birth, Addie's death, the full episodes surround both on-screen weddings, Julie's facial scarring in the fire, Doug's marriage to villainous Lee Dumonde, and others, all introduced by Bill & Susan Hayes with commentary on select episodes. I'd buy it in a heart beat.
I agree.

As I said, they should explore at least a trial run. I would think they may start with stuff like the Cruise of Deception, Buried Alive, Possession, etc. They can maybe release 3 story/couple focused sets and see how they do and then go from there.

Angie79
Member Avatar
Royal Reporter

Oh, cool!

Mason

I love this!

Matt, I'm with you on the DVDs. I would just DIE if the complete Possession storyline was released on DVD (or really anything from the 90s, LoL).

Eric83
Member Avatar
"Relax nobody's having sex.... at least not yet"

Cool! I might check these out.

dylan76
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Jan 7 2010, 02:27 PM
I would think they may start with stuff like the Cruise of Deception, Buried Alive, Possession, etc. They can maybe release 3 story/couple focused sets and see how they do and then go from there.

That would be AWESOME as those are 3 of my top 5 favorite storylines ever. With commentary & behind-the-scenes stuff added... Holy hell, sign me up.

dc cubs
Member Avatar

dc cubs
Jan 7 2010, 01:01 PM
Sourcebooks is also planning a coffee table-style illustrated book to celebrate the show's 45th anniversary for release in the fall, as well as a number of novels based on Days characters.

I found it interesting that they are talking about Day's 45th Anniversary as if its a foregone conclusion. Days current contract with NBC runs until September 2010 and their 45th anniversary would be in November. We're still waiting to hear about an announcement of whether Days is renewed. I have a good feeling that it will get renewed but its a little presumptuous of Sourcebooks to talk about it yet.

Dorothy595
Member Avatar

I wouldn't be interested in the original stories written but would enjoy any backstage information on the actors and actresses.

Who would write the stories? I've seen more interesting ones on line that people have written, I'm betting.

cassie1013

PhoenixRising05
Wow! Awesome news!

I think the only way, logically, they could do the DVD's is by story edits. Even then, I doubt it would include every single scene that character was in during the time frame, and you have to deal with certain stories crossing over (like Princess Gina stuff affecting Shelle - who are their own story).

And then it could also have commentary by the actors during the edits, or interviews in retrospect as special features.

I think they should explore it.

cassie1013

Mason
Jan 7 2010, 06:02 PM
I love this!

Matt, I'm with you on the DVDs. I would just DIE if the complete Possession storyline was released on DVD (or really anything from the 90s, LoL).
LOL you would think they would want to with all these people online selling the DVDs. I think it's actually illegal.

The other thing they could do is work with iTunes to create the entire DOOL database/library.

There's no way they could release 40 something years on DVD. That would be strictly story edits I would think, but they could potentially do episodes online. If it's a source of revenue, why not?

Beth
Member Avatar

I would buy the entire 40 years on DVD or at least put it on my wish list for Christmas.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply