Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
SOW: A Closer Look at Maggie; Article Summary (1/19 Issue)
Topic Started: Jan 8 2010, 07:00 PM (2,326 Views)
Kenny
Member Avatar

Please link to DR only. Thank you! :)

A Closer Look at Maggie

As Mickey Horton is put to rest this week, Suzanne Rogers shares what it felt like to finally say goodbye to her long-time TV husband and her new role as the Salem matriarch.

Suzanne says that she was worried when the writers came to her with this "out of the blue" story twist because she thought the audience might not even know who Mickey is. That's the reason they started showing more pictures of John Clarke in recent episodes.

As soon as Suzanne learned the show was going to kill off Mickey, she phoned John Clarke to tell him about it but he already knew because someone had mailed him a script. He seemed okay with it and he told Suzanne that he was sure she would do a terrific job with the scenes.

Suzanne describes the taping of the post-funeral reception as "lovely and warm." Many characters are there trying to support Maggie. Lisa Trusel (Melissa) brought her two youngest children with her (now teens) to the set. Bill and Susan Hayes were there as well.

Maggie wears the infamous red shoes that Mickey gave her to the funeral. Suzanne promises that there will be many heartwarming flashbacks (including the red shoes) as the Horton family remembers their beloved Mickey. Suzanne says that the scenes were great to play because she loves to act, but she hates that the show has lost another Horton -- although she understands why it was necessary to put the character of Mickey to rest.

As for being the new "den mother" of Salem, Suzanne loves it. She enjoys being called Grandma and she thinks the audience appreciates seeing a matriarch like her on the show. She explains, "It's something the audience can relate to. If they're not a grandmother, they have a grandmother."

Suzanne looks forward to sharing more scenes with Molly Burnett, Taylor Spreitler and Mark Hapka in the future. She says that she and Molly (nicknamed "Strawberry Shortcake") have the same energy level and they both laugh/cry at the same things. She says Taylor Spreitler is "sweet and kind" and she loves working with her. She also loves working with the "very loving" Mark Hapka because of the look he gets in his eye when she shares scenes with him.

Finally, when asked about what's coming up for Maggie, Suzanne previewed the following: "I don't know. Melanie is getting married. I'm going to hate her moving out. I'm going to have an empty house. I'll have Mia there. Maybe Nathan will move back in? I felt like the woman who lived in the shoe. That's what I kept referring to myself as."

Here's a photo from the magazine of Lisa Trusel, who is returning as Melissa.

Posted Image
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

Looks like there won't be a funeral. Idiots. But damn, Lisa Trusel on my screen :wub:
Quote Post Goto Top

Kenny
Member Avatar

Quote:

Finally, when asked about what's coming up for Maggie, Suzanne previewed the following: "I don't know. Melanie is getting married. I'm going to hate her moving out. I'm going to have an empty house. I'll have Mia there. Maybe Nathan will move back in? I felt like the woman who lived in the shoe. That's what I kept referring to myself as."
It sounds like there won't be much fallout from Mickey's death. Just tears... a little sadness... a little moping around... and then back to propping the newbies. No return to alcoholism? How unfortunate.

Anyway, I love that Maggie wears the red shoes to Mickey's funeral. How fitting.

dc cubs
Member Avatar

I don't know if there will be a church service but there is a memorial for Mickey at their house.

Pic from SOW. Thanks to Win for the scan.

Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

Trusel looks great! Much better than her last appearance in 2002.

dc cubs
Member Avatar

Kenny
Jan 8 2010, 07:08 PM
It sounds like there won't be much fallout from Mickey's death. Just tears... a little sadness... a little moping around... and then back to propping the newbies. No return to alcoholism? How unfortunate.

I think a return to Maggie's alcoholism is still a possibility. Days probably doesn't want to give that away yet if they are going that route.

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

Yeah I wouldn't rule out Maggie falling off the wagon yet. It could still happen.

Red Mist
Member Avatar

Thanks Kenny, I am really looking forward to seeing the flashbacks. I think this could still turn into a good sl.
'
I wish Bill and Susan Hayes were back to being regulars on the show. I think when ages in characters vary it shows depth, more like real life.

KMan101
Member Avatar

Doug and Julie should stick around. Maggie becomes the Alice fixture while Doug and Julie take on the Mickey/Maggie aspect. I still say they should bring Marie back as the Horton matriarch but Maggie works, she's far more established.

I do hate they aren't getting more people back for Mickey's "funeral" (Bill, Laura, Mike, Jennifer, Jack) but I can accept it. Although the day we lay Alice to rest, it better top Tom Horton's funeral in 1994. I want returns galore.
Edited by KMan101, Jan 8 2010, 07:46 PM.

six
Member Avatar

TFP. If Maggie is going to go back to alcoholism, I wouldn't want it to happen now, anyway. She's been sober for so long, and it'd have more impact if she struggled to make it on her own w/o Mickey for awhile, and then gave in, instead of it happening too soon after his death.

KMan101
Member Avatar

Yeah, I wouldn't like it if the day after Mickey's laid to rest, Maggie blows her sobriety and falls off the wagon. It needs to happen slowly. Maggie discovers she has no one and then turns to alcohol. I'm certain there will be fallout.

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

KMan101
Jan 8 2010, 07:48 PM
Yeah, I wouldn't like it if the day after Mickey's laid to rest, Maggie blows her sobriety and falls off the wagon. It needs to happen slowly. Maggie discovers she has no one and then turns to alcohol. I'm certain there will be fallout.
Agreed. Now would be too soon and unbelievable for her to fall off the wagon. I say give it a couple of months and then gives us that part of the story.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

I would like to say it's a breath of fresh air to see "A Closer Look" on something that doesn't involve babynapping, quadrangles, triangles, love angles, or teenagers. LOVE this attention on Maggie!

Aliaron
Member Avatar

I'm sorry. I see that picture of Nathan with Maggie sharing memories of Mickey and I roll my eyes. That should have been Lucas. You know? The Horton she's been helping since he was 18 and an alcoholic. I know DOOL loves clean-slate characters but Nathan has no connection with Mickey what so ever.

Angie79
Member Avatar
Royal Reporter

Lisa Trusel Revisits Days
January 8, 2010 2:15 PM By Courtney Potter

The passing of longtime Days of our Lives patriarch Mickey Horton (we know! Can you believe it?!) this week means that several faces from the past will be returning to Salem to help Maggie and her family grieve. One such face is Mickey and Maggie's adoptive daughter -- and young doctor Nathan's mother -- Melissa Horton.

Actress Lisa Trusel -- who portrayed Melissa from 1983 until 1988 (and who returned for brief stints in 1994, '96, and 2002) -- will be coming back to mourn the loss of Mickey, per Soap Opera Weekly.

For the uninitiated: When Melissa was born in 1971, her mother Linda Phillips claimed that Mickey Horton was her real father -- but it was later revealed that Mickey was sterile, and Melissa's dad was Linda's husband Jim. Later, when Melissa returned to town in the '80s as a teenager, Mickey and his second wife Maggie took her in and adopted her.

Look for Lisa's Melissa to return to Salem on January 14th and 19th.

http://sn.soapnet.go.com/news/article/lisa-trusel-revisits-days

Kenny
Member Avatar

Angie79
Jan 9 2010, 01:08 AM
The passing of longtime Days of our Lives patriarch Mickey Horton (we know! Can you believe it?!) this week means that several faces from the past will be returning to Salem to help Maggie and her family grieve. One such face is Mickey and Maggie's adoptive daughter -- and young doctor Nathan's mother -- Melissa Horton.
I hope they got Melissa Reeves back and they're keeping it a secret!

Angie79
Member Avatar
Royal Reporter

I was thinking that too.

Nubia
Member Avatar
The Queen

I wonder if they will explain why Sarah didnt come home.

dc cubs
Member Avatar

I'm wondering if Soapnet is counting Doug and Julie in the "several" category. There's been no talk of anyone else returning for the funeral.

I would love for Missy Reeves to return as Jennifer for a short or long term stint. She would also fit very well in the Bo/Hope/Carly story.

Kenny
Member Avatar

dc cubs
Jan 9 2010, 01:17 AM
I'm wondering if Soapnet is counting Doug and Julie in the "several" category.
Ugh, probably. I hadn't thought of that. :(

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply