Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Twinkle Little Star and EJ's Motivation
Topic Started: Jan 9 2010, 04:22 PM (3,736 Views)
ema

After the past two days, I have to admit that the writing of the whole baby hiding/switch/kidnapping that has gone on for the past year and a half has really taken us fans for a spin.

Yes, it was spoiled who it probably was, if you read the spoilers, but still now that we know that EJ was behind the kidnapping it will be interesting to find out if this was something planned or a spur of the moment decision.

Plus it will be interesting to find out the reasons he really did it and what will need to happen for this "kidnapping" to end. Who is he protecting and who is he protecting them from.

I really did not know what to think after the first day, whether to be happy or sad, as I had a lot of questions in my mind, but after todays epi where we see EJ talking with Anna and Sydney, some of them were answered, but I know there is still alot of speculating to do.

So here is what I get out of what I saw. I would love to see what others think. Please try to keep this to the storyline and not attacking the characters that you don't care for, we all have our favorites but most importantly, it's all about the storyline, the mystery and the twists.

IMO EJ has plays his role secretively very very well. I can see where the people around him would not guess that he is behind it. This exterior cracked a little when he went to see Anna and when he saw Sydney. I got the feeling that he did this for Sydney. She was his first priority. Also, it seems that Anna is his confidant. That's good cause he needs one! She seems to be doing it to get back at Stephano and for the money that was Tony's that she felt should have become hers after he died. She also does not like Sami, but she loves Sydney.

It seems that Ej has an agenda that he is not even going to let Anna in on, he is keeping it to himself. I know that he has been lied to and crossed over by his Father, who seems obsessed with his grandkids- especially Sydney. But he also does not trust Sami, but I am really unsure if he is doing this to get back at her personally or is it to protect her from the people that he doesn't trust? Maybe that Stephano will come after her and Sydney of she is with her? They did apologize and seem to forgive each other over the past month, but then both seem to not trust the other... or is it that EJ doesn't trust Rafe even though he is" FBI".

When he was on the phone to Sami, EJ didn't seem to be having a hateful look in his eye, so it made me think that maybe it was not Sami personally, but the circumstances of all that happened.

Then at the end of the show, when Anna asked when he thought this would be over, he told her that it will be over when I say so... or something very close to that so what do you think has to happen and how long is it going to take?

It was a tender moment with him singing to Sydney at the end of the show singing" Twinkle, Twinkle little star." it made me start thinking as I only half listened to the words, I had to rewind the DVR a couple of times and then ZI went onto google and googled the lyrics as it almost seemed to be having Sydney as a metaphor to the Star and it's twinkle...
The bold parts are what he sang.

Twinkle, twinkle, little star
How I wonder what you are.
Up above the world so high
Like a diamond in the sky

Twinkle, twinkle, little star
How I wonder what you are!
When the blazing sun is gone,
When he nothing shines upon,
Then you show your little light,
Twinkle, twinkle, all the night.

Twinkle, twinkle, little star,
Then the traveler in the dark
Thanks you for your tiny spark;
He could not see which way to go,
If you did not twinkle so.
Twinkle, twinkle, little star,
The symbolism of the nursery rhyme is sailors used to be guided by the North Star. They couldn't determine their location until the Sun went down and the stars came out.

Sydney is EJ's "Little Star." Everyone wonders "Where you are." She's untouchable "Like a diamond in the sky".

"When the Blazing Sun is gone" means the threats to Sydney (specifically Stefano, and secondarily Rafe's intention to be Sydney's Daddy) are gone she will show her little light to others again.

He didn't sing the part about the dark traveler, but singing the whole thing would have eaten up a lot of show time so they just hit the two most important parts. I'll go ahead and infer that EJ is the "Dark Traveler" and his star is guiding his way (providing his motivation.)
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

SocRMum1
Member Avatar
Much prefers sweevil, snarky EJ over Father Figure Fucktard Eejiot.

That's a really interesting analogy regarding the nursery rhyme and it's meaning. I think you may be on to something.

I haven't decided what I think EJ's full motivation is just yet. As much as I am a died in the wool EJami fan, I won't be upset if EJ is actually doing this to hurt Sami initially - as a means of revenge against her and everyone he feels conspired against him. But after watching the conversation with Anna I'm not sure that's the way it will play out. It did seem to me that EJ was uncomfortable with Anna's harshness toward Sami - he was claiming he didn't want Sydney to hear the harsh words but EJ has long had a problem with people speaking out against Sami, except for the period of time when he was so angry with her after Grace died. His demeanor makes me think they are writing this in the direction that he is planning to manipulate things so that he can Sami wind up raising their children together, as a united family. Again...I'm a EJami fan first and foremost so I'm torn on this. A big part of me loves the idea of what might come from that - even though I have no doubt it will eventually blow up in his face. But I'll be happy enough to enjoy the ride while it lasts. But at the same time, I'm not particularly thrilled at the prospect of EJ once again being the interloper in another of Sami's relationships - working behind the scenes to manipulate her into being with him. I love the devious, dark and intelligent EJ - but even I am tired of watching him chase after Sami while she gives him very little indication that she wants to be with him. :shrug:

Halloween Family
Member Avatar

Soc, I think Sami might be one of those "blazing suns" and wouldn't be surprised if he really wants to stick it to her good. EJ is possesive so EJ might be upset with Sami and can be negative about her but when someone else does ie anna he wants none of it. EJ has used restraint in what names he calls Sami. At this point, I am happy that some of my old EJ is showing through right now. Hopefully, he remains intelligent.

dooldooldool

He's a DiMera. Sydney cannot become an official Brady until she has been kidnapped by a DiMera. It's the same DOOL storyline since 1984.

SocRMum1
Member Avatar

dooldooldool
Jan 9 2010, 05:44 PM
He's a DiMera. Sydney cannot become an official Brady until she has been kidnapped by a DiMera. It's the same DOOL storyline since 1984.
Hmmmm...I don't think Sydney needs to become an 'official' Brady since she's a DiMera already. I don't see the parallel you're making. :shrug:

ema

I must say I am member in forbidden love what I understood James himself did not want to play again the ej running after Sami and he said it, too. I do not believe he would be the interloper of Rafe and sami relationship Be calm :smooch:

Daytime
Member Avatar

I like your analysis. However at this point, I am just so happy to have EJ scheming again, I can't contain myself. To have smart cunning EJ back is my consolation prize if I can't have Ejami right now. I can settle for EJ making everyone whom has wronged him life a living hell. Maybe his motivation for taking Sydney is to protect her or getting revenge or maybe both, but at least he's not a pod any longer and maybe, just maybe once Sami finds all this out, this will snap her out of this homemaker type of person that she has become. I can't even recognize this shell of a woman they call Sami Brady.

Halloween Family
Member Avatar

Daytime
Jan 9 2010, 06:19 PM
To have smart cunning EJ back is my consolation prize if I can't have Ejami right now.
Yes, he was at his sexiest when he was fully clothed. I almost don't care if Sami loves him as long as he's classic EJ.

kitkat
Member Avatar

Two seperate theories, first EJ is doing this to make shift the family he wants and will crush anyone in his way to get there.

Second EJ is doing this for sure sweet revenge, to hurt those who hurt him, but the only problem is he's hurting people who have never hurt him. Namely Ari, Johnny, & Will... These people have never even been mean to him if anything they've been nice. He's preying on Ari's goodness and her sympathy for his, vomit, pain. Johnny, he's taken away his little sister, and though he's a child he knows something is definitely wrong. Will, this young man has been very kind to him sending him those pictures of Grace, and how does he repay him by putting him through this hell.

If this was just about Sami, Rafe, Nicole, Brady, & Stefano.... his "betrayers" it would be different, but this involves the whole Brady Clan and even his own sister who loves him. Making others suffer the loss of this child, is outragous. And though EJ loves his kids, maybe the kind of love he's given is not the kind they need... just saying.
Edited by kitkat, Jan 9 2010, 06:47 PM.

SocRMum1
Member Avatar

Halloween Family
Jan 9 2010, 06:22 PM
Daytime
To have smart cunning EJ back is my consolation prize if I can't have Ejami right now.
Yes, he was at his sexiest when he was fully clothed. I almost don't care if Sami loves him as long as he's classic EJ.
I agree he's uber-sexy when he's smart and cunning. And while I still want Sami to love him - I don't want it to be based on a lie and have EJ actually believe he can hold on to the relationship that way. He shouldn't need to beg or manipulate for love -even from Sami. However, if it turns out that they wind up together under questionable circumstances and when the truth comes out it pisses Sami off enough to have her revert back to some of her former glory I'd enjoy that, too. I want EJami together primarily because I love the chemistry that I see between JS and AS. But I'm not a big fan of the bland, needy, simpering Sami we've seen for months - any more than I was a big fan of the clueless, naive version of EJ that was so easily fooled by everyone around him.

SocRMum1
Member Avatar

kitkat
Jan 9 2010, 06:37 PM
Two seperate theories, first EJ is doing this to make shift the family he wants and will crush anyone in his way to get there.

Second EJ is doing this for sure sweet revenge, to hurt those who hurt him, but the only problem is he's hurting people who have never hurt him. Namely Ari, Johnny, & Will... These people have never even been mean to him if anything they've been nice. He's preying on Ari's goodness and her sympathy for him, vomit, pain. Johnny, he's taken away his little sister, and though he's a child he knows something is definitely wrong. Will, this young man has been very kind to him sending him those pictures of Grace, and how does he repay him by putting through this hell.

If this was just about Sami, Rafe, Nicole, Brady, & Stefano.... his "betrayers" it would be different, but this involves the whole Brady Clan and even his own sister who loves him. Making others suffer the loss of this child, is outragous. And though EJ loves his kids, maybe the kind of love he's given is not the kind they need... just saying.
I haven't seen enough interaction between Ari and EJ to think he's 'preying' on her. And ultimately, any plans he has involving Ari are likely a way to get back at both Brady and Rafe. Two down in one fell swoop? Who can resist that? :lol:

All the things you've mentioned about EJ hurting 'innocent' people in his speculated quest for revenge are true - but the same would be said for those that hurt him. Sami's lies actually had a much more jarring impact on the lives of innocent people. Nicole's and Stefano's certainly did - right down to the ultimate death of Doc Baker. But through all of that I never doubted that Sami loves her kids - or even that Nicole and Stefano love Sydney. The simple fact is - love is very rarely perfect and without cost.

kitkat
Member Avatar

SocRMum1
Jan 9 2010, 06:43 PM
kitkat

Second EJ is doing this for sure sweet revenge, to hurt those who hurt him, but the only problem is he's hurting people who have never hurt him. Namely Ari, Johnny, & Will... These people have never even been mean to him if anything they've been nice. He's preying on Ari's goodness and her sympathy for him, vomit, pain. Johnny, he's taken away his little sister, and though he's a child he knows something is definitely wrong. Will, this young man has been very kind to him sending him those pictures of Grace, and how does he repay him by putting through this hell.

I haven't seen enough interaction between Ari and EJ to think he's 'preying' on her. And ultimately, any plans he has involving Ari are likely a way to get back at both Brady and Rafe. Two down in one fell swoop? Who can resist that? :lol:

All the things you've mentioned about EJ hurting 'innocent' people in his speculated quest for revenge are true - but the same would be said for those that hurt him. Sami's lies actually had a much more jarring impact on the lives of innocent people. Nicole's and Stefano's certainly did - right down to the ultimate death of Doc Baker. But through all of that I never doubted that Sami loves her kids - or even that Nicole and Stefano love Sydney. The simple fact is - love is very rarely perfect and without cost.
We've seen Ari take up for him and show him comfort because she thought he was hurting he even kissed and hugged her for giving him the vigil ideal. While in truth, he's not in any pain from the loss of Sydney, he's sitting back eating mental popcorn and enjoying the show. And their are people he's hurting that have showed him nothing but love through all his faults and the greatest one is his sister Lexie, I hope when the truth comes to light she wants nothing more to do with him. While I prefer the evilness of EJ, he's more entertaining that way-- he doesn't do good well-- the man should have to pay for his sins.

And Frankily the stuff said about the people that did things to him, on some, doesn't wash... He was certainly not innocent when it came to Sami... He raped Sami and kept her in a marriage she did not want to be in. Now Nicole and Stefano get what they deserve and him hurting Stefano makes me want to laugh, and Nicole's blubbering got to be annoying... but of course I witness the pain of the loss of that child. And she was right, if she had told him that she loss that child and could not have another one, he would have dumped her. He said it himself, he only married her because of Sydney. But my feeling sorry for Nicole is suffocated by her lies. And ole' Dr. Baker, well maybe he's in that pine box somewhere, and rightfully so.
Edited by kitkat, Jan 9 2010, 07:02 PM.

Halloween Family
Member Avatar

SocRMum1
Jan 9 2010, 06:38 PM
Halloween Family
Daytime
I want EJami together primarily because I love the chemistry that I see between JS and AS. But I'm not a big fan of the bland, needy, simpering Sami we've seen for months - any more than I was a big fan of the clueless, naive version of EJ that was so easily fooled by everyone around him.
I agree not a fan of the clueless. The chemistry is what makes me not care what the context of the story is. It doesn't bother me if those two are lying and manipulating one another. What I go for are moments of tenderness interspersed in all that bad stuff. However, I don't like the genuiness to be tarnished at a later date because the writers want to backtrack to seem tricky.

Halloween Family
Member Avatar

kitkat
he's hurting people who have never hurt him.
This is one of the reservations I had/have with the mastermind scenario, not only with EJ but Anna too. It seems like he's taking a big risk (Syd) in the name of revenge (if that is what is driving this)...it feels like a Man on Fire set up.
Edited by Halloween Family, Jan 9 2010, 07:23 PM.

SocRMum1
Member Avatar

Halloween Family
Jan 9 2010, 07:19 PM
SocRMum1
Jan 9 2010, 06:38 PM
Halloween Family
Daytime
I want EJami together primarily because I love the chemistry that I see between JS and AS. But I'm not a big fan of the bland, needy, simpering Sami we've seen for months - any more than I was a big fan of the clueless, naive version of EJ that was so easily fooled by everyone around him.
I agree not a fan of the clueless. The chemistry is what makes me not care what the context of the story is. It doesn't bother me if those two are lying and manipulating one another. What I go for are moments of tenderness interspersed in all that bad stuff. However, I don't like the genuiness to be tarnished at a later date because the writers want to backtrack to seem tricky.
I couldn't agree more. :cheers:

six
Member Avatar

Halloween Family
Jan 9 2010, 07:22 PM
kitkat
This is one of the reservations I had/have with the mastermind scenario, not only with EJ but Anna too. It seems like he's taking a big risk (Syd) in the name of revenge (if that is what is driving this)...it feels like a Man on Fire set up.
That's my problem with it too. Also that letting Sami's imagine the worst about Sydney's fate is pretty cruel. I do agree with Socr, though that Sami's lies also hurt innocent people, which equals things out a bit. One big thing for me is that EJ is doing what Sami tried, and failed because of Nicole, to do. He's keeping Stefano out of Sydney's life. I wonder if that will be addressed, or if things will be different because while her scheme deprived EJ of the right to raise his daughter, she's the one losing out this time.

SocRMum1
Member Avatar

six
Jan 9 2010, 07:40 PM
Halloween Family
Jan 9 2010, 07:22 PM
kitkat
That's my problem with it too. Also that letting Sami's imagine the worst about Sydney's fate is pretty cruel. I do agree with Socr, though that Sami's lies also hurt innocent people, which equals things out a bit. One big thing for me is that EJ is doing what Sami tried, and failed because of Nicole, to do. He's keeping Stefano out of Sydney's life. I wonder if that will be addressed, or if things will be different because while her scheme deprived EJ of the right to raise his daughter, she's the one losing out this time.
I think the difference will be that Sami never intended to allow EJ to be a part of their daughter's life, but it doesn't look to me like EJ intends to keep Sydney from Sami forever. I forget the exact dialogue but Anna made mention of Sydney deserving better from both her parents and EJ responded with something like she'll get that now. That makes me think that EJ intends to reunite Sami and Sydney at some point.

sungrey

kitkat
Jan 9 2010, 06:54 PM
SocRMum1
kitkat

We've seen Ari take up for him and show him comfort because she thought he was hurting he even kissed and hugged her for giving him the vigil ideal. While in truth, he's not in any pain from the loss of Sydney, he's sitting back eating mental popcorn and enjoying the show. And their are people he's hurting that have showed him nothing but love through all his faults and the greatest one is his sister Lexie, I hope when the truth comes to light she wants nothing more to do with him. While I prefer the evilness of EJ, he's more entertaining that way-- he doesn't do good well-- the man should have to pay for his sins.

And Frankily the stuff said about the people that did things to him, on some, doesn't wash... He was certainly not innocent when it came to Sami... He raped Sami and kept her in a marriage she did not want to be in. Now Nicole and Stefano get what they deserve and him hurting Stefano makes me want to laugh, and Nicole's blubbering got to be annoying... but of course I witness the pain of the loss of that child. And she was right, if she had told him that she loss that child and could not have another one, he would have dumped her. He said it himself, he only married her because of Sydney. But my feeling sorry for Nicole is suffocated by her lies. And ole' Dr. Baker, well maybe he's in that pine box somewhere, and rightfully so.
James Scott, to me, does not wash as a romantic hero (EJ, not James). Now, when it comes to playing a son of a bitch I can easily see that. I can't get behind EJ as romantic because of what he did, but I certainly see him as a junior version of Stefano.

Halloween Family
Member Avatar

sungrey
Jan 9 2010, 08:06 PM
James Scott, to me, does not wash as a romantic hero (EJ, not James). Now, when it comes to playing a son of a bitch I can easily see that. I can't get behind EJ as romantic because of what he did, but I certainly see him as a junior version of Stefano.
IMO, EJ/JS is such a refreshing romantic lead, he doesn't necessarily have to be the hero to make it work. In 2007 Ej was such a compelling character, he doesn't have to be pigeonholed into Days' interpretation of villian. I'm also really enjoying seeing this side to Stefano, I don't remember when he was married to Viv how it played out but Stef n Kate show a tender side to the super villian.

SocRMum1
Member Avatar

sungrey
Jan 9 2010, 08:06 PM
kitkat
Jan 9 2010, 06:54 PM
SocRMum1
kitkat

I see it just the opposite. I think making him only a villian would be a complete waste of such an obvious romantic, leading man. Which isn't to say that I think he should be a sap or have to be completely redeemed in order to be a romantic lead. I think a combination of the two makes for the most compelling character - and he is perfectly suited to play that.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply