Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Weekly Discussion: 1/11-15; R.I.P. Mickey Horton
Topic Started: Jan 9 2010, 06:12 PM (16,130 Views)
Eric83
Member Avatar
"Relax nobody's having sex.... at least not yet"

Hope, no one minds if I start this. I found a bunch of great Mickey and Maggie clips.

Mickey and Maggie music video tribute

Melissa, Maggie, and Mickey- June 27, 1983

Mickey and Maggie become engaged Pt. 1

Pt. 2

Maggie's homecoming

Discuss :D
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

kitkat
Member Avatar

Hey Guys, Gals... you think they'll change the voice of the announcer... It was McDonald Carey when he was alive. But after he passed it became the guy that plays or played Mickey, hopefully since he's still really alive it will stay the same. Don't you miss McDonald Carey saying it, I need a tissue, "Like sands through the hourglass so are the days of our lives, this is McDonald Carey and these are the days of our lives." Makes me sad thinking about it.

lysie
Member Avatar

kitkat
Jan 10 2010, 06:55 PM
Hey Guys, Gals... you think they'll change the voice of the announcer... It was McDonald Carey when he was alive. But after he passed it became the guy that plays or played Mickey, hopefully since he's still really alive it will stay the same. Don't you miss McDonald Carey saying it, I need a tissue, "Like sands through the hourglass so are the days of our lives, this is McDonald Carey and these are the days of our lives." Makes me sad thinking about it.
It's still Macdonald Carey...

Eric83
Member Avatar
"Relax nobody's having sex.... at least not yet"

kitkat
LOL, what made you think it was John Clarke (Mickey) saying the voiceover in the opening.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

Definitely Mac Carey. I think there would be grand mutiny if they changed that. It's just been shortened.

Partnersincrime
Member Avatar

kitkat
it still McDonald Carey voice they only differnet his that after McDonald Carey dies they remove the part of voice announcer this is McDonald Carey and these are the days of our lives

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

Only two people have ever done the opening voice over --- Ed Prentiss & Macdonald Carey. Prentiss did the voice over for approximately the 1st 6 months (according to most sources) which was worded slightly differently "Like sands through the hourglass, so are the Days of Our Lives. Days of Our Lives, a new dramatic serial starring Macdonald Carey". When Carey took over the voice over, it was changed to the more familiar version that ran through 1993. When the new opening with the rerecorded theme and computer graphics debuted in 1993, Carey rerecorded his opening voice over. When Carey died in 1994, there was some discussion about what to do with the voice over. Consequently, there are a few episodes from this period with the full opening, but NO voice over. Eventually, it was decided to leave the heart of the voice over in tact as a tribute to Carey, but removing the "This is Macdonald Carey" portion since he'd passed. It's the shortened voice over that's still used today, although the opening itself has been (disgustingly) shortened as a whole.

SocRMum1
Member Avatar
Much prefers sweevil, snarky EJ over Father Figure Fucktard Eejiot.

Matt
Jan 11 2010, 12:54 PM
Only two people have ever done the opening voice over --- Ed Prentiss & Macdonald Carey. Prentiss did the voice over for approximately the 1st 6 months (according to most sources) which was worded slightly differently "Like sands through the hourglass, so are the Days of Our Lives. Days of Our Lives, a new dramatic serial starring Macdonald Carey". When Carey took over the voice over, it was changed to the more familiar version that ran through 1993. When the new opening with the rerecorded theme and computer graphics debuted in 1993, Carey rerecorded his opening voice over. When Carey died in 1994, there was some discussion about what to do with the voice over. Consequently, there are a few episodes from this period with the full opening, but NO voice over. Eventually, it was decided to leave the heart of the voice over in tact as a tribute to Carey, but removing the "This is Macdonald Carey" portion since he'd passed. It's the shortened voice over that's still used today, although the opening itself has been (disgustingly) shortened as a whole.
Very interesting! I knew it was still Macdonald Carey and that they had left it as a tribute - but I was not aware that anyone else had ever done it, nor that he rerecorded the opening just a year or so before he passed away. Thanks for the info. :)

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

This is the 1st version of the Days opening with Ed Prentiss doing the voice over...

Keith
Member Avatar

People can say what they will about how they're handling this Mickey storyline, but all I know is Suzanne Rogers had me bawling like a newborn today. I love that Julie was next to find out. She was so close to Mickey growing up. They hit all the right beats today, including Nathan calling Melissa and her flight arriving that night. While some may pan the Melanie drama, it was a nice dose of reality. Time doesn't stop for the dead. It was nice to see someone on the frontburner give new viewers a stronger connection to Mickey and Maggie through Melanie. Fickle as she is, she is trying to make the right choice and find what Maggie had.

Vivian and Philip's scene was great. Louise plays her so eccentric that even when she's being vulnerable and serious she is just bizarre. I saw a lot of what drove her relationship with Lawrence in the 90's in these scenes. It's almost like Philip is replacing Lawrence, or at least, filling that void. It was a very important beat to play and will make things very interesting in the coming weeks, I think, especially if speculation is true. Did anyone else think Victor was talking about Philip before they cut to Bo when he said he hopes they're not too late before she gets her claws into my son? They made that as almost a subtle hint, even though they cut right to Bo/Carly.

Meanwhile, there was nothing romantic in what happened. Bo is a great prick and I can't wait for him to find out what happened to Hope's family and FEEL like a great prick. I'm sorry, but the whole forget about the outside world thing was SO an excuse for him not to feel any guilt or responsibility towards Hope and his family and it was just downright rotten. Carly's no better for letting him convince her. It was nice to see Reckell topless again, though.

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

I just have to say that Susan Seaforth Hayes looked FABULOUS today. The woman is, day in and day out, simply drop dead gorgeous. I wasn't sure how the traditionally raven haired Julie (save a couple of brief turns as a blonde) would handle the silver locks, but she's rocking the look. At the other end of the spectrum, am I the only one who thinks that they put way too much makeup on JKJ? It looked like he had lipstick on today.

Paxton
Member Avatar
Dreaming of a Melanie-free Days

Matt
Jan 11 2010, 02:18 PM
At the other end of the spectrum, am I the only one who thinks that they put way too much makeup on JKJ? It looked like he had lipstick on today.
Yes, too much makeup and not enough shampoo.

SocRMum1
Member Avatar
Much prefers sweevil, snarky EJ over Father Figure Fucktard Eejiot.

Paxton
Jan 11 2010, 02:21 PM
Matt
Jan 11 2010, 02:18 PM
At the other end of the spectrum, am I the only one who thinks that they put way too much makeup on JKJ? It looked like he had lipstick on today.
Yes, too much makeup and not enough shampoo.
I was so hoping they'd finally do something with his hair around the same time they finally got rid of that awful mess that was James Scott's hair for a while. :shame:

And I couldn't agree with Matt more about Susan Seaforth Hayes. Lordy mercy - that woman has never, ever not looked fabulous. The silver locks are just as stunning on her as every other look has been.

Red Mist
Member Avatar

I think Mickey dying would have a much greater impact if we had seen the character recently. To alot of ppl, like my daughter, this sl looks like grieving over a phantom husband. I think Rogers is doing a wonderful job. I have enjoyed all of her scenes so far. I even enjoyed the scenes with Maggie and Melanie, though I did want to knock Mel's teeth out when she made her cute little comment, "Who died?"

I fast forwarded through all of that slut Carly and that cheating bastard Bo. Sorry, this felt like watching Dad cheat on Mom to me. I don't think I have ever been so pissed over a sl like this. lol When Ej screwed Nicole or when Sami screws Rafe I don't get upset like this. I get annoyed, maybe disgusted, but not pissed.

I really hope Vivan destroys Carly for good.

I liked the scenes with Viv and Phillip. She seems to want to connect with him so bad, and he is such a smart ass. It really cracks me up.

Victor was awesome today. When he told Brady , "I think I liked you better when you were high," I about died! Whoever is writing his lines is doing a great job. Victor just keeps getting better and better. I think I enjoy him more then Stefano now.

The Nathan and Mel scenes were snore worthy. I just don't give a damn.

Ari is a nut for wanting Brady. I would run like hell in the opposite direction when I saw him coming. He needs to get bent.

The show for what I bothered to watch was good for the most part imo.

Paxton
Member Avatar

I love Victor and I'm happy to see him so much more--I've always liked him better than Stefano--but I'm not that happy with the way they're writing him. He's coming off like just a grumpy old misogynist with dementia instead of a villain we should all fear. Plus, even though fortunately we haven't seen much evidence of it lately, I've hated how he seems to think Dr. Orangelove can do no wrong but he's constantly belittling and berating Philip and Brady. Since when does Victor think more of his godson who we never knew existed prior to 2008 than his own son and grandson? Granted neither Philip nor Brady are a world-famous doctor of everything like Daniel but even so, I don't think Victor would put him in such high esteem.

Mirage75
Member Avatar

Paxton
Jan 11 2010, 03:14 PM
I love Victor and I'm happy to see him so much more--I've always liked him better than Stefano--but I'm not that happy with the way they're writing him. He's coming off like just a grumpy old misogynist with dementia instead of a villain we should all fear. Plus, even though fortunately we haven't seen much evidence of it lately, I've hated how he seems to think Dr. Orangelove can do no wrong but he's constantly belittling and berating Philip and Brady. Since when does Victor think more of his godson who we never knew existed prior to 2008 than his own son and grandson? Granted neither Philip nor Brady are a world-famous doctor of everything like Daniel but even so, I don't think Victor would put him in such high esteem.
ITA about Victor and his all of sudden high pedestal he has for Daniel. It's really sickening. I wouldn't blame if Phillip, Brady and Justin revolted against Victor. I like the man, but this crap with Daniel is stupid.

I rather Victor worry about Justin, Phillip and Brady, Bo- his own damn family. To me, Daniel is nothing and should not be put on this high pedestal.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Paxton
Jan 11 2010, 03:14 PM
Victor berates Daniel too. He's always making comments about his choosing Chloe, only lately he tries to be more subtle about it. I think the fact that Brady and Philip live with him and he's more active in their lives is why we tend to see him do it to them more but Daniel has not been exempt. No one has.

Which leads me to something I liked about today's episode. I loved when Brady called out Victor on sounding like a broken record with hos "Chloe's a slut," "Arianna's a drug dealer," etc and I loved that he threw his hanging around with Vivian in his face. Judging by the look and little eyebrow nudge Victor had after Brady left, he clearly realized how hypocritical he was being. I hope for more of that, especially from Philip.

The Philip/Vivian scenes were great. I love how creepy and weird Vivian gets. As Keith noted, today's scenes were a critical beat. We saw a special moment of bonding with them and Philip seemed to soften toward her. It did come off like Vivian and Lawrence. i look forward to more of this.

I got chills in the Vivian/Victor scenes when she updated him. Vivian's line about Carly being "on her way to hell" was the line that most struck me. I like how they are building the suspense as Vivian closes in on Carly and her daughter.

Carly/Bo= :wub: . Those scenes were fantastic and, granted, Bo did come off like a prick but if Hope can be a bitch, Bo can be a prick LOL. That is the way I see it. CC just looked so beautiful.

LOVED the scenes at Maggie's. As Keith said, all the beats were played. Loved the text message stuff and the way in which Julie and Nathan found out and rushed to Maggie. So many of the little things...Maggie cleaning at the start of the episode, Nathan blaming himself and wondering if he could've done anything as a doctor if he were there, Julie counseling him on Melanie at the beginning of the show, Nathan calling Melissa, etc. Julie, Maggie, and Mickey always had a special relationship so I've appreciated the use of that dynamic. I also liked the way Melanie came in and said "What a welcome, who died?" That is who she is and that is a very real moment I could see someone in real life doing.

The Maggie/Melanie scenes were FANTASTIC. It actually served to develop Melanie and painted her in a good light while also showcasing Maggie and Mickey's relationship. Very well done and Molly Burnett and Suzanne Rogers' real life relationship was very much on display here. She brings the best out in her and both actresses were wonderful. Just the little mentions of Maggie seeing the dishes Mickey washed after breakfast, seeing Mickey's eyes, the sports page, etc and then seeing Melanie in her scenes with Nathan seeing the sports page and being in anguish as Nathan mentioned marrying Philip...so many beats and all played to perfect. I should also say for the first time ever I saw long-lasting sat couple potential in Nathan and Melanie today. Maybe it was all the heavy emotion but their scenes today at the end sold me.

Wonderful job by all but especially by Suzanne Rogers, who is proving her worth big time.

I can't wait for tomorrow.
Spoiler: click to toggle

Paxton
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Jan 11 2010, 04:00 PM
Victor berates Daniel too. He's always making comments about his choosing Chloe, only lately he tries to be more subtle about it. I think the fact that Brady and Philip live with him and he's more active in their lives is why we tend to see him do it to them more but Daniel has not been exempt. No one has.
But as I see it that's still more about Chloe and Victor's seething (and mysogynistic) hatred for her than it is about Daniel. I don't recall Victor having any complaint about Daniel other than that he chose Chloe, whereas with Philip he attacks him for not being a good enough Kiriakis (as well as his choice in women/girls, which I approve when it comes to Melanie) and with Brady he's pretty harsh about his drug addiction, in addition to again complaining about Brady and the women he's with.

Sindacco
Member Avatar

Dragonish1
Jan 11 2010, 03:01 PM
Victor was awesome today. When he told Brady , "I think I liked you better when you were high," I about died! Whoever is writing his lines is doing a great job. Victor just keeps getting better and better. I think I enjoy him more then Stefano now.
I haven't seen it yet but that line sounds stupid, Brady wasn't even in Salem when he was on drugs.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Paxton
Jan 11 2010, 04:19 PM
PhoenixRising05
Jan 11 2010, 04:00 PM
But as I see it that's still more about Chloe and Victor's seething (and mysogynistic) hatred for her than it is about Daniel. I don't recall Victor having any complaint about Daniel other than that he chose Chloe, whereas with Philip he attacks him for not being a good enough Kiriakis (as well as his choice in women/girls, which I approve when it comes to Melanie) and with Brady he's pretty harsh about his drug addiction, in addition to again complaining about Brady and the women he's with.
But what else should Victor get on Daniel about? There is nothing else LOL. Plus, for as much as Victor professes that Daniel is "family," it's still not the same as Brady and Philip, who are blood relatives. It's different with them. Brady is his beloved Isabella's son and Philip is the one child he's had the chance to actually be a father to since he was born. I wouldn't expect Victor to be as hard on Daniel as he is those two. And Victor has been hard on Daniel in the past. It's just always been over the women in his life and that is simply because he's never had another reason to be hard on him about.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply