Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
It's Official! Simon Cowell Quits Idol
Topic Started: Jan 11 2010, 04:02 PM (1,092 Views)
King
Member Avatar

We all knew it was coming, but it's official. :)

http://hollywoodinsider.ew.com/2010/01/11/simon-cowell-confirms-his-departure-from-american-idol-this-season/

It's official: Fox gets 'X-Factor,' Cowell quitting 'Idol'

Sources confirmed to Hollywood Reporter exclusively that Cowell will quit the top-rated show on television at the end of this season as part of his plan to focus on launching a new series, "The X-Factor." Fox has picked up "Factor" for the fall of 2011, when "Idol" is on hiatus.

Fox chairman Peter Rice and entertainment president Kevin Reilly officially announced the "Factor" pickup and Cowell's "Idol" departure today at the Television Critics Association's winter press tour in Pasadena.

"In my opinion it's like having a good player in a good football team," Cowell told the critics. "But when the player retires the team will continue to be very successful. I'm confident 'Idol' will continue to be the No. 1 show. I want to leave 'Idol' this year bigger and better than it's been before."

The U.S. version of "X-Factor" will be a similar format to the UK version, with Cowell acting as judge and executive producer.

The "X-Factor" plan means Cowell will be off American television for more than a year.

"I loved that first year on 'Idol' when I didn't know know whether it would work or not," Cowell said. "I have that feeling now [about 'X-Factor.']"

In the FremantleMedia and Cowell-produced "X-Factor," a wide range of singing talent is split into groups and mentored by one of the show's four judges. The format of the U.S. version is expected to be similar.

Cowell arrived in Los Angeles yesterday for the start of Hollywood Week on "American Idol" and to sign his deal with Fox. Negotiations were touch-and-go up to the last minute, with executives prepping for two different possible Q&As with critics. In a bit of theater, Cowell signed the last page of his "contract" on stage.

Fox is also planning to order three more seasons of "Idol," but that deal is not yet finished. Cowell's decision to walk away from his estimated $36 million-per-season "Idol" gig could have major consequences for the show, which has declined in the ratings in recent years. Given that Cowell was the most expensive part of producing "Idol," however, Fox could end up with a more profitable show, even if ratings drop due to losing its most popular judge.

Fox executives also shot down speculation that there's a current deal to bring Conan O'Brien to the network.
Edited by Rick, Jan 11 2010, 04:24 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Rick
Member Avatar
Dreamlander

just posted 1 minute before LOL

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Isn't it weird how in an interview last year Simon basically said that without him Idol would drop like a rock and X-Factor would dominate? Now he's saying that he feels secure it will still be the number 1 show and that he feels secure it's being left in good hands. To me, that would indicate Idol is going to lead-in to X-Factor to help get it going rating-wise. The guy isn't stupid. He knows American Idol is the brand most people will recognize and viewers won't just flock to X-factor because it has Simon and Paula. He needs to ensure people give it a chance and the only way for that to happen is to have Idol as a lead-in. None of the other shows like Idol have taken off. X-Factor NEEDS Idol.

I won't miss Simon. If you asked me two years ago, I would've felt differently and actually would've felt worried about the show. Not anymore. I've seen so much backlash against the judges on Idol, especially last season, that I think many will welcome continued change in that regard. I read that Piers Morgan is the likely contender to take over Simon's spot (I'm guessing Simon selected him and pushed for him as they are friends). He can more then satisfy Simon's role and while I think the show will continue to see viewer declines (it's getting older and most shows are with the advent of DVR's, online, etc), I do think it will be just fine.

It will be refreshing to have less bias and BS at the judge's table. I also give Simon credit for confirming this now so we don't have to deal with it all season. The focus should be on the contestants. That is what the show is about. No need to let rumors and judge's crap take over the show like it did so many times last year and in the past.
Edited by PhoenixRising05, Jan 11 2010, 04:18 PM.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Just read the column Rick posted. So it's going to be air in the Fall? That is not the best idea. I think the show will flop based on that. It needs a solid lead-in and Idol could've been it.

The articles makes a point. Even if the show suffers a MAJOR viewer loss (and I doubt it will, at least not one caused by the judge's leaving), losing Simon takes away a HUGE contract.

I think the show will lose a bit but will be fine. I still feel people overestimate the impact of losing Simon and Paula, especially when I've seen more people that are sick of the judge's and their bias and BS then I have people that actually give a damn about them anymore. I would say a few years ago that would've been different. Now, I think the changes will only help the show. I still think it will continue to gradually lose viewers but what doesn't as it gets older? Plus, ratings in general for most shows have been going down as a result of more people viewing via DVR, online, etc and Idol will only go as far as it's contestants. If viewers are interested in them, the numbers will be fine. If not, they will go down. That has always been the case.
Edited by PhoenixRising05, Jan 11 2010, 04:25 PM.

Rick
Member Avatar
Dreamlander

PhoenixRising05
Jan 11 2010, 04:25 PM
I still think it will continue to gradually lose viewers but what doesn't as it gets older?
Family Guy, Criminal Minds, Big Bang Theory, NCIS, America's Got Talent, Two and a Half Men....

Or was that rhetorical? :lol:
Edited by Rick, Jan 11 2010, 04:31 PM.

Snowing Fan
Member Avatar

Well I guess my IDOL days will be done,love him or hate him IDOL will be a completly different show without him,I will watch X-FACTOR though.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Rick
Jan 11 2010, 04:31 PM
PhoenixRising05
Jan 11 2010, 04:25 PM
I still think it will continue to gradually lose viewers but what doesn't as it gets older?
Family Guy, Criminal Minds, Big Bang Theory, NCIS, America's Got Talent, Two and a Half Men....

Or was that rhetorical? :lol:
How many of those shows are around ten years old? Family Guy is animated and, if they catch on, they always seem to break the trend (see The Simpson's).

In most cases, viewership goes down as a show gets older. Some shows go off the air before it hits (Everybody Loves Raymond, Friends) and some don't. There will be the occasional exceptions, especially if a network has built successfully around that particular show (like CBS has with many of it's shows).

Just take a look at CSI. That eventually feel. Desperate Housewives has started showing signs, as has Grey's Anatomy. ER eventually had the same thing happen to it. It happens. It will continue to happen to Idol, especially since the ratings system is a complete joke. We live in an age where so many people view their shows online somewhere or they DVR or Tivo or whatever and so many of those people's viewership doesn't even count and that is what we've seen happen in the past few years. As the weather warms up and people get busier, the ratings in Spring drop off. Why? Because people aren't around watch. They either watch online, watch later on DVR, or don't watch at all.

Rick
Member Avatar
Dreamlander

BalscoFan5
Jan 11 2010, 04:43 PM
Well I guess my IDOL days will be done,love him or hate him IDOL will be a completly different show without him,I will watch X-FACTOR though.
You're definitely not alone, That's pretty much the consensus I'm seeing most places.

I just told my friend Simon was leaving and the first thing she said was "Well, I'm done watching after this season" I have a feeling there's a lot of viewers that will feel that way.

Eric83
Member Avatar
"Relax nobody's having sex.... at least not yet"

There really is no point in watching at all anymore. They always built the show around Simon, and to a lesser extent Paula. This show is doomed. :laugh: :laugh:

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Rick
Jan 11 2010, 04:47 PM
BalscoFan5
You're definitely not alone, That's pretty much the consensus I'm seeing most places.

I just told my friend Simon was leaving and the first thing she said was "Well, I'm done watching after this season" I have a feeling there's a lot of viewers that will feel that way.
I've seen the opposite but who knows. Last year I saw so much venom towards the judges, especially him. In fact, I've seen many react to Paula's exit and the rumors of him leaving with a "who cares" or "the show's been stale and it needed change" or "he's not the same anyway and he's gotten too biased" and so on.

I'm not saying it won't lose any viewers but acting like this will be some sort of loss of more then half their audience is just ridiculous IMO. I'm sure some did watch for the judges and what they bring but if more then half the audience did then it is time to cancel the show because that is not what the show is about.

The other factor here is Ellen. How many viewers will she bring in? What about Simon's replacement? If it's Piers Morgan, he could draw in some people as he's exactly what Simon USED to be in many ways. They may see some uptake in viewers to offset the losses.

Eric83
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Jan 11 2010, 04:52 PM
Rick
BalscoFan5

I've seen the opposite but who knows. Last year I saw so much venom towards the judges, especially him. In fact, I've seen many react to Paula's exit and the rumors of him leaving with a "who cares" or "the show's been stale and it needed change" or "he's not the same anyway and he's gotten too biased" and so on.

I'm not saying it won't lose any viewers but acting like this will be some sort of loss of more then half their audience is just ridiculous IMO. I'm sure some did watch for the judges and what they bring but if more then half the audience did then it is time to cancel the show because that is not what the show is about.

The other factor here is Ellen. How many viewers will she bring in? What about Simon's replacement? If it's Piers Morgan, he could draw in some people as he's exactly what Simon USED to be in many ways. They may see some uptake in viewers to offset the losses.
I disagree, Ellen may bring some in, but a faux-Simon (British accent and all) is not going to gain new viewers. This show was always Simon, Paula, and Randy. Losing two original judges will kill it IMO.
Edited by Eric83, Jan 11 2010, 04:55 PM.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

ga68153
Jan 11 2010, 04:54 PM
PhoenixRising05
Rick
BalscoFan5

I disagree, Ellen may bring some in, but a faux-Simon (British accent and all) is not going to gain new viewers. This show was always Simon, Paula, and Randy. Losing two original judges will kill it IMO.
But the show is about the contestants. I understand it will lose some viewers but enough to kill it? Come on, now.

Not to mention you have people threatening to quit watching year after year when certain people get eliminated or win and most of those people never actually quit. I will believe a massive viewer drop when I see it. Plus, people WILL tune in to see how the show is without Simon and Paula. There will be an intrigue there. It may lose some after that but I think the show still lives or dies on it's contestants and whatever the interest level is in them.

Eric83
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Jan 11 2010, 04:59 PM
ga68153
PhoenixRising05
Rick

Quoting limited to 4 levels deep

But the show is about the contestants. I understand it will lose some viewers but enough to kill it? Come on, now.

Not to mention you have people threatening to quit watching year after year when certain people get eliminated or win and most of those people never actually quit. I will believe a massive viewer drop when I see it. Plus, people WILL tune in to see how the show is without Simon and Paula. There will be an intrigue there. It may lose some after that but I think the show still lives or dies on it's contestants and whatever the interest level is in them.
Ok I can see that. Maybe ublic interest will wane significantly once the initial curiosity factor ends. I still think the show will never be able to garner as much interest as it used to. I saw the first 5 Idol winners sent their debut singles to #1. Starting with Jordin Sparks that no longer happens, and the franchise will just become more and more obscure as it goes on. It was a phenomenon for its first 4 years or so, but the huge public interest in the show is gone.

Rick
Member Avatar
Dreamlander

PhoenixRising05

Quote:

How many of those shows are around ten years old? Family Guy is animated and, if they catch on, they always seem to break the trend (see The Simpson's).

None of them, but neither is Idol.

Idol is 7 1/2 years old. It debuted siummer of 2002

Quote:

We live in an age where so many people view their shows online somewhere or they DVR or Tivo or whatever and so many of those people's viewership doesn't even count and that is what we've seen happen in the past few years. As the weather warms up and people get busier, the ratings in Spring drop off. Why? Because people aren't around watch. They either watch online, watch later on DVR, or don't watch at all.

No offense to you personally Tim, but that's an excuse used ny network heads when their shows are failing and they want someone or something to blame. Springtime viewing only drops an average of 2% and most DVR shows gain no more than an extra million viewers.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

ga68153
Jan 11 2010, 05:04 PM
PhoenixRising05
Jan 11 2010, 04:59 PM
ga68153
PhoenixRising05

Quoting limited to 4 levels deep

Ok I can see that. Maybe ublic interest will wane significantly once the initial curiosity factor ends. I still think the show will never be able to garner as much interest as it used to. I saw the first 5 Idol winners sent their debut singles to #1. Starting with Jordin Sparks that no longer happens, and the franchise will just become more and more obscure as it goes on. It was a phenomenon for its first 4 years or so, but the huge public interest in the show is gone.
I agree with you there. I think alot of that has to do with the show getting away from it SHOULD be about: the contestants. Even in the early seasons, you still had the judge's banter and absurd antics/rumors but the focus was still on the contestants. Something began to happen in season 6. It's almost like the show began not to trust itself and the attention swayed away more and more from the contestants. It became all about controversy (David Archuleta's dad, Paula coming or going, Kara and Paula hate each other, Simon and Randy putting a petty competition of who is right ahead of judging without bias, etc). Alot of times I feel the show stirred the put even further on purpose. Meanwhile, good talent slipped through their fingers because of all that. I tend to think all these problems are bigger issues facing the show then two judges leaving, which is why I'm happy to be getting fresh judges on the show. Kara really was a breath of fresh air IMO last year.

We'll see. I'm not saying people are wrong to feel this could really hurt the show. I just think IF this results in a major viewer loss, it will more then likely be the straw that broke the camels back for many people rather then the only reason people drop the show.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Rick
Jan 11 2010, 05:09 PM
PhoenixRising05

Quote:

None of them, but neither is Idol.

Idol is 7 1/2 years old. It debuted siummer of 2002

Quote:

We live in an age where so many people view their shows online somewhere or they DVR or Tivo or whatever and so many of those people's viewership doesn't even count and that is what we've seen happen in the past few years. As the weather warms up and people get busier, the ratings in Spring drop off. Why? Because people aren't around watch. They either watch online, watch later on DVR, or don't watch at all.

No offense to you personally Tim, but that's an excuse used ny network heads when their shows are failing and they want someone or something to blame. Springtime viewing only drops an average of 2% and most DVR shows gain no more than an extra million viewers.

Yeah but, technically, Idol is going into it's 9th season so that is what I'm going by LOL.

Anyway, yes it's an excuse but it's a valid one. The numbers you quoted are more then likely not even an accurate representation and therein lies the problem. You and I have had discussions in the ratings threads the past two years around March/April and we've seen viewership drops for many shows. I still stand by my view on that. I've seen/read of so many people who either DVR or watch their shows online once the weather gets nice or they stop watching entirely until something big happens because they don't have time. Just because the DVR numbers you've seen don't support that theory doesn't mean it doesn't happen. That just may mean more people watch online or don't watch at all. Also, correct me if I'm wrong but don't the DVR numbers only reflect same day viewing? I know there is some sort of restriction on that and I'm sure most who do DVR something don't watch it the same day it aired LOL.

As I said, I don't feel anyone is wrong to think this could be bad for the show but I don't think it's as foregone a conclusion as others. After all, did losing John and Marlena kill Days? I do recognize it's a soap and all but you never know until you see things play out.

Kenny
Member Avatar

Wow. So he's really leaving?

Stick a fork in Idol. It's done. Without Paula and Simon on the judging panel, the show is going to tank like we've never seen a show tank before. Poor Ellen jumped onto a sinking ship, LoL. I mean, yeah, ratings are still good for the show, but it's clear that Idol is losing steam fast.

cubsgirl
Member Avatar

One reason I could see this being bad for Idol is that I think more people tend to agree what Simon says versus what Randy or Kara say. I just don't see a judging team of Ellen, Randy and Kara being able to find anything new and fresh. But maybe without the distractions of Simon and Paula maybe the shift could be back on the contestants.

Now has is been announced that Paula is joining Simon on X-Factor? I could see that blowing up in Simon's face. Obviously he is banking on everyone following Paula in all her craziness. But I think he forgets that was what turned off a lot of people and could stop people from even starting to watch X-Factor.

Rick
Member Avatar
Dreamlander

PhoenixRising05
Jan 11 2010, 05:17 PM
Anyway, yes it's an excuse but it's a valid one. The numbers you quoted are more then likely not even an accurate representation and therein lies the problem. You and I have had discussions in the ratings threads the past two years around March/April and we've seen viewership drops for many shows. I still stand by my view on that. I've seen/read of so many people who either DVR or watch their shows online once the weather gets nice or they stop watching entirely until something big happens because they don't have time. Just because the DVR numbers you've seen don't support that theory doesn't mean it doesn't happen. That just may mean more people watch online or don't watch at all. Also, correct me if I'm wrong but don't the DVR numbers only reflect same day viewing? I know there is some sort of restriction on that and I'm sure most who do DVR something don't watch it the same day it aired LOL.
I'm not going to pull out the numbers for fall vs spring because I dont have the time right now, but there's not much of a difference at all.

Live+Same Day includes viewing during the same broadcast day with a cut-off of 3:00AM

For example, last night's Cleveland Show scored 7.6 million Live viewers and 8.5 million in Live +SD so nearly a million people watched it later that night.

King
Member Avatar

Yeah, I am done with Idol.

Idol without Simon and Paula just doesn't seem right. LOL.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Primetime Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply