Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
SOD: Bryan Dattilo on DAYS Exit; January 26th issue; article summary
Topic Started: Jan 14 2010, 02:51 PM (3,429 Views)
Angie79
Member Avatar
Royal Reporter

Please link to DR.

"It's like a graduation, not a funeral," says Bryan of leaving Salem after playing the role of Lucas for 15 years. "It's a good thing; everything happens for a reason in life. The show is a great show and always will be. I hope it lasts long and I hope the ratings are soaring. I love everyone there. Having a place to go everyday is going to be missed, but I wasn't working that much at the end anyway, so it weaned me off of it."

Bryan got the news about the show not renewing his contract right before the holiday break. He says he was kind of suprised when Gary Tomlin came in at the end of the day, but he kind of knew it. "I knew my contract was up, and the way the storyline was headed, I knew I didn't have one, so after being in that business for that long, I know that's not a good thing." Bryan says he had running jokes with one of the guys in wardrode. "I would say, 'Oh, you didn't hear yet? Well, I'm going to be fired any day,' and he would be like, 'No way.' And I would say; 'I'm telling you; I'm not going to be renewed. I know when it's coming. My head is already lined up in the guillotine.'"

Bryan says that sticking around in a reccuring capacity doesn't interest him. "It would be kind of rough for me to go recurring the way the character was," he explains. "It just didn't seem to have much development and it became harder to play. It was cool because one of the initial things Gary Tomlin said to me when he came on was he thanked me for not pushing my character on him and understanding how the character had to work - he didn't get the girl and the storyline doesn't go through Lucas. And that was fine - it's a really good supporting role, and I loved playing it, but it just seemed like they saw the character in one light. It kind of outgrew itself, it seems. After that amount of time, maybe I burned out on it; maybe the character burned out on me. Or maybe it was a combination of the two. But I have no bad feelings at all toward anybody. I don't feel like I've been wronged. I just kind of feel like it happened because it needed to happen."

Dattilo, who has left before, feels like this is the end. "That's it; 15 years, 16 total, but I was in a coma for a year, so it doesn't count. Fifteen years on air; I can say I did a soap opera that long." Looking ahead, he says, "I can't wait to see what happens. It's hard to get a job, but I was looking for the job when I got DAYS, so it's back to the grind of pilot season, preparing myself and making the most oout of the opportunity. I know I'll work again."

More from SOD
Under casting news it says his last airdate is February 16th. He didn't do a formal goodbye on set, but he did sneak a note in to Stuart's (the stage manager) desk because Bryan had cleaned out his dressing room over the vacation with his son, Gabriel. Bryan says, "So, that was kind of eerie that that would be the last time I was there. I was walking through the studios, in the dark, telling my son, 'This is where I started.' So I left a little note, 'To all my friends at DAYS, I'll miss you so much,' and signed my name. I put it in the desk because eventually, Stuart will look in the desk and find it. So maybe he'll announce it over the PA, hopefully."
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Days4Life

He's got a great attitude. I've never been a Lucas fan but that was mostly the fault of the writers and not Bryan Datillo, who always seemed to be a really nice guy. Good luck to him, and I hope he finds work soon.

kitkat
Member Avatar

:shame: :frustration: :frownie: :frownie: :frownie:

Ally
Member Avatar
The Royal Princess

:(

There was SO much potential with Bryan! SO much! He could have had scenes with Suzanne (Maggie) with all this Mickey stuff! There is going to be fallout from his death, and Lucas is one of the few close family members of Maggies' :frustration:

Angie79
Member Avatar
Royal Reporter

I just added this to first post:

More from SOD
Under casting news it says his last airdate is February 16th. He didn't do a formal goodbye on set, but he did sneak a note in to Stuart's (the stage manager) desk because Bryan had cleaned out his dressing room over the vacation with his son, Gabriel. Bryan says, "So, that was kind of eerie that that would be the last time I was there. I was walking through the studios, in the dark, telling my son, 'This is where I started.' So I left a little note, 'To all my friends at DAYS, I'll miss you so much,' and signed my name. I put it in the desk because eventually, Stuart will look in the desk and find it. So maybe he'll announce it over the PA, hopefully."

SocRMum1
Member Avatar
Much prefers sweevil, snarky EJ over Father Figure Fucktard Eejiot.

Very, very classy way to go out. Kudos to BD - I wish him nothing but success wherever he goes.

glfanalways

Bryan Datilo will be miss!! LUCAS Bye Bye don't let the door hit you. Lucas had loads of potential, that the bleep writers refuse to explore.

aimees76
Member Avatar

:'( :'( :'(

Gary Tomlin can go fuck himself. Bryan may not have any bad feelings, but I do. :flipoff:

Alligato
Member Avatar

:'(
I'll miss you Lucas. You should be on right now.
Good luck with the pilots! If i can watch Darin Brooks nasty ass tv show pilot, I'll certainly watch yours. :)

TINA222
Member Avatar

Not only do they fire him they pat him on the head for not making waves. :soapbox: How nice. Tomlin is an evil little troll. :flipoff:

aimees76
Member Avatar

TINA222
Jan 14 2010, 03:28 PM
Not only do they fire him they pat him on the head for not making waves. :soapbox: How nice. Tomlin is an evil little troll. :flipoff:
Yeah. That part got my blood boiling all over again. :angry:

Red Mist
Member Avatar

I am glad he is so positive. I wish him the best of luck.

mer4santo
Member Avatar

Good on BD. He will get work again that will play to his talents.

SoapGal1
Member Avatar

Best of luck BD, classy way to go out! :cheers:

LuvingLumi
Member Avatar
♥ LUMI ♥

What is this fascination that Tomlin has for GG/Rafe? He appreciated the fact that BD didn't make waves about his character not being utilized? I want BD to jump into one of the most successful sidcoms since Friends/Seinfield or something..let's go Bryan...you can do it! and then tell them all to FUCK OFF!

Vicky4Mimi

LuvingLumi
Jan 14 2010, 05:14 PM
What is this fascination that Tomlin has for GG/Rafe? He appreciated the fact that BD didn't make waves about his character not being utilized? I want BD to jump into one of the most successful sidcoms since Friends/Seinfield or something..let's go Bryan...you can do it! and then tell them all to FUCK OFF!
Yes! I agree!! He is better than this.

six
Member Avatar

TFP. I wish him the best in whatever he decides to do next.

dooldooldool

He will be back. Maybe not until the big Will-Gaby Wedding of May Sweeps 2011, but he will be back.

UKDaysFan
Member Avatar

LuvingLumi
Jan 14 2010, 05:14 PM
I think it's that GT didn't see BD as a leading man who could win the girl which he obviously does with GG :embarrassed: and thought that was an essential ingredient for "the story"with Sami.

So he swapped BD/Lucas for GG/Rafe to satisfy his love-triangle obsession, as that's the only sort of story he seems interested in telling. Once the character of Rafe came on the scene, Lucas became redundant in their triangle focused world.

Glad that Bryan got whatever bitterness he had in the article that ran last month, so that he left with as much class as is possible. If Days is still around in 12-18 months, I'm sure GT will be knocking.
Edited by UKDaysFan, Jan 15 2010, 02:05 AM.

Q Steph
Member Avatar
Put your hands up for Obama

I'm glad he is staying positive. This show has abused him for over a decade. They don't deserve another day.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply