Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
SOD: Bryan Dattilo on DAYS Exit; January 26th issue; article summary
Topic Started: Jan 14 2010, 02:51 PM (3,400 Views)
Aliaron
Member Avatar

Who the heck is GT to just pingonhold a character and an actor. Lucas doesn't get the girl? Well, I remember when he got his girl there was a wave of support. But then Lucas and his girl got a rewrite by several horrible writers and they haven't been the same since.

Only a narrow-minded, unimaginative writer would tell an actor, we're never really going to invest time and use you properly. We already have in our mind who the "lead" actors are.

I really think that's soaps real problem. They invest too much in the same people. And fans end up tired of the same people front and center and good characters ignored.

I really think it has nothing to do with bryan's ability. They don't know his true ability because they didn't truly use him. I think GT want clean slate characters with no real history because it's easier to write them.

Look at the three or four characters with real history, not rewritten/currently paste together mess, then ask-- are they really being written correctly? Is he really utilizing these characters to their best?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

TINA222
Member Avatar

That he expects actors to just accept being pushed aside and not fight for their jobs or role on the show. scary and quite sad. I wonder how he views actors who dont accept being treated like shit?Who stand up for themselves?? Fire them too I guess. Lazy narcissistic mother fucker.

Paxton
Member Avatar
Dreaming of a Melanie-free Days

Aliaron
Jan 15 2010, 10:39 AM
Only a narrow-minded, unimaginative writer would tell an actor, we're never really going to invest time and use you properly. We already have in our mind who the "lead" actors are.

I really think that's soaps real problem. They invest too much in the same people. And fans end up tired of the same people front and center and good characters ignored.
I am not a Lucas fan or a fan of BD's acting, though I think he's a nice, charming man. However, I think you are completely right that any writer worth his or her salt should be able to craft a compelling story for any character. Soaps are ensemble shows for a reason--they're on five days a week and rarely pre-empted. They have hundreds of episodes per year. They need to be able to have multiple stories going on so that somebody who isn't interested in the baby switch might be interested in the Bo/Hope/Carly story, for example. I rarely find ALL the stories interesting at one time and there are some characters who I literally can't stand and either have to FF or grit my teeth when they're on, but I stick around because of the stories and characters I do like. And, even with characters I'm not emotionally invested in I can enjoy their story if it's well written. I don't care for Lucas, but I'm not opposed to seeing him in a well-written story. I've never found him a plausible romantic lead, but tastes vary and I can see why other people do. I think there was plenty of room for him on the canvas as at least a B-story player.
Edited by Paxton, Jan 15 2010, 12:03 PM.

Aliaron
Member Avatar

It wasn't too long ago that AS was not a considerable romantic lead. It's called giving someone a chance. It's called writing to a character's strength instead of constantly trying to make fun of and point out his weaknesses.

All the writers wanted to write was how Lucas was so weak, just look at his relationship with his mother. And he's an alcoholic. But that's so one sided.

Lucas was a strong in other ways. He was never scared of Stephano and willing to take on that family. He was immensely loyal to those he loved. That's why people still believe he didn't shoot EJ. He's a Horton that never quite fit the Horton mode. He spent years with Victor, worked under Tony, went toe to toe with Sami yet maintained a complex good guy nature. And he has a connection to every family on that show.

Yet the writers don't think story can move through him? WTF! And they get paid for this?
Edited by Aliaron, Jan 15 2010, 12:40 PM.

aimees76
Member Avatar

Aliaron
Jan 15 2010, 12:32 PM
It wasn't too long ago that AS was not a considerable romantic lead. It's called giving someone a chance. It's called writing to a character's strength instead of constantly trying to make fun of and point out his weaknesses.

All the writers wanted to write was how Lucas was so weak, just look at his relationship with his mother. And he's an alcoholic. But that's so one sided.

Lucas was a strong in other ways. He was never scared of Stephano and willing to take on that family. He was immensely loyal to those he loved. That's why people still believe he didn't shoot EJ. He's a Horton that never quite fit the Horton mode. He spent years with Victor, worked under Tony, went toe to toe with Sami yet maintained a complex good guy nature. And he has a connection to every family on that show.

Yet the writers don't think story can move through him? WTF! And they get paid for this?
:hail:

Halloween Family
Member Avatar

Aliaron

Personally, I think the character needs to be rested for a while, just like I think Alison S. should have taken a longer maternity leave and James Scott should have had more time off during the summer. Bryan is right that they left him too one dimensional and it's nice to hear him verbalize that it makes it difficult to play the character as an actor. Aside from the only one take rule, it appears that many of the actors have no idea what is driving their characters or what their motivations are.

However, your post has made some excellent points!!

e83talus
Member Avatar

A very professional and class act. Good luck to Bryan!

lysie
Member Avatar

Aliaron

It's just too easy...

esp13
Member Avatar

TINA222
Jan 15 2010, 11:47 AM
That he expects actors to just accept being pushed aside and not fight for their jobs or role on the show. scary and quite sad. I wonder how he views actors who dont accept being treated like shit?Who stand up for themselves?? Fire them too I guess. Lazy narcissistic mother fucker.
If you want an example of what happens to actors who fight for their characters, please see Stephen Nichols and Mary Beth Evans. I'm not saying that's why they were let go because I have no inside information, but fighting for their characters certainly didn't keep them around.

Mason
Member Avatar

Aliaron
It wasn't too long ago that AS was not a considerable romantic lead.
She's still not, LoL.

TINA222
Member Avatar

Beat me to it. AS is not a romantic lead. I dont care how much they try and push it. Like putting a square peg in a round hole. Its never going to fit.

Kevc1980
Member Avatar

As much as I like Lucas and Bryan Datillo, I don't think I'll even notice that he isn't on the show. They have hardly used him the past year. He didn't even get much play in his own storyline with Chloe, Daniel and Kate. I just feel like he is already off the show. It's too bad. Hopefully they can get him back on occasion for stuff with Will and the Horton holidays.

samixxx
Member Avatar

Nice interview, thanks for posting.

ejamirules
Member Avatar

I was Never a Lucas Horton Fan I always Thought Him and Sami would Never Make it as a couple and i think the writer's Felt the same way there was nothing there anymore no chemistry No passion it was Gone. I wish Bryan All the Luck and Love in what ever Endeavor's he Decides In the future I'm sure the Lumi fans aren't happy, But There was nothing there to Hope for In anyway they were Just Boring together, it was Like watching A brother and sister....

Daysfan2202

This was a great interview. I will miss him on Days. I hope one day Lucas returns and reunites with Sami.
Edited by Daysfan2202, Jan 19 2010, 02:31 AM.

lastDays
Member Avatar

I always hate it when actors whine and bitch when they've been let go.It takes a classy person to deal with it in a positive light.

LuvingLumi
Member Avatar
♥ LUMI ♥

UKDaysFan
Jan 14 2010, 08:58 PM
LuvingLumi
Jan 14 2010, 05:14 PM
What is this fascination that Tomlin has for GG/Rafe? He appreciated the fact that BD didn't make waves about his character not being utilized? I want BD to jump into one of the most successful sidcoms since Friends/Seinfield or something..let's go Bryan...you can do it! and then tell them all to FUCK OFF!
I think it's that GT didn't see BD as a leading man who could win the girl which he obviously does with GG :embarrassed: and thought that was an essential ingredient for "the story"with Sami.

So he swapped BD/Lucas for GG/Rafe to satisfy his love-triangle obsession, as that's the only sort of story he seems interested in telling. Once the character of Rafe came on the scene, Lucas became redundant in their triangle focused world.

Glad that Bryan got whatever bitterness he had in the article that ran last month, so that he left with as much class as is possible. If Days is still around in 12-18 months, I'm sure GT will be knocking.
and that is just the thing...BD was leading man for many years with the girl...and it was successful for Days...and if he really thinks that GG is more leading man material than BD he is looking through someone's Rafe colored glasses because realistically....I can tell you BD's Lucas can be much more entertaining than GG's Rafe.....and I'm not knocking the actor at all....I'm mainly trying to see the rational behind this leading man crap....in the end....AS isn't leading lady material even if they've pushed her through to the front and sat her there....AS and BD meshed better than AS and GG will, at least they played many angles in their relationship throughout the years...friends, enemies, lovers, coparents......
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

soapfan1

LuvingLumi
Jan 19 2010, 01:57 PM
UKDaysFan
Jan 14 2010, 08:58 PM
LuvingLumi
Jan 14 2010, 05:14 PM
What is this fascination that Tomlin has for GG/Rafe? He appreciated the fact that BD didn't make waves about his character not being utilized? I want BD to jump into one of the most successful sidcoms since Friends/Seinfield or something..let's go Bryan...you can do it! and then tell them all to FUCK OFF!
I think it's that GT didn't see BD as a leading man who could win the girl which he obviously does with GG :embarrassed: and thought that was an essential ingredient for "the story"with Sami.

So he swapped BD/Lucas for GG/Rafe to satisfy his love-triangle obsession, as that's the only sort of story he seems interested in telling. Once the character of Rafe came on the scene, Lucas became redundant in their triangle focused world.

Glad that Bryan got whatever bitterness he had in the article that ran last month, so that he left with as much class as is possible. If Days is still around in 12-18 months, I'm sure GT will be knocking.
and that is just the thing...BD was leading man for many years with the girl...and it was successful for Days...and if he really thinks that GG is more leading man material than BD he is looking through someone's Rafe colored glasses because realistically....I can tell you BD's Lucas can be much more entertaining than GG's Rafe.....and I'm not knocking the actor at all....I'm mainly trying to see the rational behind this leading man crap....in the end....AS isn't leading lady material even if they've pushed her through to the front and sat her there....AS and BD meshed better than AS and GG will, at least they played many angles in their relationship throughout the years...friends, enemies, lovers, coparents......
I don't agree with Tomlin's opinion of BD either.BD must have been doing something right for Lumi to gain the huge following they did.I agree about AS not being true leading lady material either.She was so much better playing Sami as the scheming,bad girl that people loved to hate.

I feel bad for Bryan being tossed aside for a less talented actor who is only there as eye candy.I hope Bryan finds a new job that is a million times better than Days so he will never have to look back.It's Days loss that they didn't want him,not his.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply