Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
SOD: Maggie - Drinking?; February 2nd issue; article summary
Topic Started: Jan 21 2010, 02:14 PM (2,311 Views)
Angie79
Member Avatar
Royal Reporter

A grieving Maggie contemplates risking her sobriety after she receives Mickey's belongings from his office. The boxes come and Maggie and Melanie start going through them. Melanie leaves and takes some things to donate and then Maggie is in the kitchen alone. She goes through a boxed marked 'Christmas Presents', and it's ones that Mickey hadn't brought home, he just kept them in the office. There is a bottle of alcohol in the box and that's what starts it. She picks it up and it's the question of whether she wants to succumb or not.

Maggie, who hit the bottle in 1978 after her foster daughter was kidnapped, got sober, then served as Lucas's sponsor. "It's an upsetting moment," says Suzanne. Nathan comes home to find Maggie with an empty bottle of scotch. "She called her sponsor and poured the alcohol down the drain." explains Suzanne. "But when Nathan comes home and sees the empty bottle, he thinks she drank it."
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Mason
Member Avatar

This is a good start, but I hope we soon see Maggie taking a flying leap off of that wagon, LoL.

lysie
Member Avatar

Do we not get to see her pour the bottle down the drain and call the sponsor? Because...I feel like those are important parts.
Edited by lysie, Jan 21 2010, 02:25 PM.

Mason
Member Avatar

lysie
Jan 21 2010, 02:21 PM
Do we not get to see her pour the bottle down the drain and call the sponsor? Because...I feel like those are important parts.
I'm sure we won't. We rarely ever see the moments that we consider important but the writers don't. We didn't even get to see Maggie finding Mickey's body.
Edited by Mason, Jan 21 2010, 02:25 PM.

doolcrazy
Member Avatar

Thanks. I'm looking forward to this story with Suzanne as Maggie. She is a fun actress to watch as she brings Maggie to life and I have enjoyed her since the first show with her in it. While I hate to see anyone fall off the wagon I'm sure it will be gripping to watch her grapple with her alcoholism.

lysie
Member Avatar

Mason
Jan 21 2010, 02:22 PM
lysie
I'm sure we won't. We rarely ever see the moments that we consider important but the writers don't.
Even aside from the story, I feel like that would have the best material for a good performance. *sigh*

Kenny
Member Avatar

lysie
Of course we won't see those scenes. For whatever reason, Days likes to leave out the most impactful moments -- like Maggie finding Mickey, for example. The writers have a nasty habit of sucking all the best stuff out of the scripts.

Thanks for the article, Angie!

cassie1013

Kenny
Jan 21 2010, 02:28 PM
lysie
Of course we won't see those scenes. For whatever reason, Days likes to leave out the most impactful moments -- like Maggie finding Mickey, for example. The writers have a nasty habit of sucking all the best stuff out of the scripts.
Yep, it'll be the same thing so they have their 10 seconds of suspense - we'll see her with the bottle, and next scene will be her crying next to an empty bottle. So predictable. We (and Nathan) will be lead to believe she drank it, then the next episode begins and we learn she dumped it and called her sponsor off screen. :eyeroll:

Kenny
Member Avatar

cassie1013
Jan 21 2010, 02:30 PM
Kenny
lysie
Yep, it'll be the same thing so they have their 10 seconds of suspense - we'll see her with the bottle, and next scene will be her crying next to an empty bottle. So predictable. We (and Nathan) will be lead to believe she drank it, then the next episode begins and we learn she dumped it and called her sponsor off screen. :eyeroll:
Mm-hmm. Probably. Given the choice between meaningful, emotional scenes with impact and cheap fake drama that toys with the audience, the writers will go with the latter every single time.

Alligato
Member Avatar

I hope that is not the end of the story. Otherwise, that is pretty sad all we can do.
I think I will enjoy it though...where's Lucas to help her out? Didn't he just come back from the rehab?

Thanks Angie!

lysie
Member Avatar

cassie1013
Jan 21 2010, 02:30 PM
Kenny
lysie
You know what one of the problems with them doing that is? There will be people who, no matter what, will insist that she really did drink it. And one day when they're out of "twists" and "secrets" they'll change it so that she did actually drink it, and while she was still drunk she ran out of the house, faked someone's death, and switched a blood test. Mickey will be the one who reveals all this because he's not actually dead...we would know this if they had shown us the scene where she "found" him. That's what they do when they skip these scenes.

Kenny
Member Avatar

Alligato
Jan 21 2010, 02:38 PM
I hope that is not the end of the story. Otherwise, that is pretty sad all we can do.
It better not be the end. One or two episodes of Maggie being tempted (and then not falling off the wagon) just isn't enough. I'm glad the writers are addressing her alcoholism at all though.

dc cubs
Member Avatar

I'm looking forward to this story. I'm glad that Maggie didn't start drinking so soon. They should show her struggle with her sobriety and eventually end up losing the battle. I do agree that they should show Maggie pouring the alcohol down the drain and calling her sponsor. It would have more of an effect this way.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

This sounds great. I like that she doesn't just start drinking right away either. I think this is just the beginning.

As for not showing her call her sponsor, eh. The important thing that needs to be shown is her thinking about taking a drink. I don't need to see her dumping the damn alcohol LOL. Maybe after a long drawn out fall off the wagon her dumping a bottle of alcohol would be significant but not at the start. I like the idea of Nathan walking in and the audience wondering if she actually did it.
Edited by PhoenixRising05, Jan 21 2010, 03:09 PM.

aimees76
Member Avatar

I have a bad feeling that that is all it is going to be, then she will bounce back and be fine.

Thanks for posting.
Edited by aimees76, Jan 21 2010, 03:16 PM.

Kenny
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Jan 21 2010, 03:08 PM
I don't need to see her dumping the damn alcohol LOL.
"I don't need to see her finding the body."

"I don't need to see Alice."

"I don't need to see Sarah."

"I don't need to see her calling her sponsor."

"I don't need to see her dumping the damn alcohol."

Is there anything else they can leave out that we don't need to see?

Of course we don't need to see these things -- nobody's gonna keel over if these things aren't shown -- but it would be nice if the most important moments of this story would actually happen ON SCREEN for once. I don't like feeling like I've accidentally missed scenes or been jipped of emotional moments just to suit the cheaper beats of the plot.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Kenny
Jan 21 2010, 03:17 PM
PhoenixRising05

Of course we don't need to see these things -- nobody's gonna keel over if these things aren't shown -- but it would be nice if the most important moments of this story would actually happen ON SCREEN for once. I don't like feeling like I've accidentally missed scenes or been jipped of emotional moments just to suit the cheaper beats of the plot.
Is it their fault you couldn't see Alice? No.

Was it their fault you couldn't see Sarah? No. (unless you want to recast the role and that would be a stupid time to do it)

As far as her finding the body, that is debatable. I see both sides.

I just don't think seeing her dumping the alcohol would have weight right now. Months from now after she's been drinking for a long time, sure. That would be heavily dramatic. Doing it now would have no impact. She hasn't even done anything.

lysie
Member Avatar

Kenny
Jan 21 2010, 03:17 PM
PhoenixRising05

There are also a lot of things that we do see that I don't need to see. It wouldn't kill them to give us some substance or fill in the missing scenes.

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Jan 21 2010, 03:24 PM
Was it their fault you couldn't see Sarah? No. (unless you want to recast the role and that would be a stupid time to do it)
But you were one of the people hoping we got a Sarah recast! :lol:

Anyway, I would have liked to see Maggie dumping the bottle and calling her sponsor. It would just help progress the story along, as well as give Suzanne Rogers even more scenes to blow away.

Mason
Member Avatar

This would have been the perfect time to bring back Sarah. What better reason for her to return to Salem than to support her mother after her father's death? And it's not like the show doesn't need her, because it does. But oh well, just another wasted opportunity.
Edited by Mason, Jan 21 2010, 04:36 PM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply