Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Crystal Chappell Days Q&A
Topic Started: Jan 25 2010, 01:51 AM (2,534 Views)
AlisonLou

Crystal just did a Q&A at her official message board she gave her view on the Hope and Carly scenes coming up this week here it is:

Question: BBK What do you think about the Carly and Hope relationship?

Answer: "It’s a great relationship. Both of them are strong and being written true to their perspectives. Nobody is clobbering the other. But neither of them know each other very well. Hope thinks that Carly is into money when in fact she never has been and Carly thinks that Hope has changed. She says to Hope, “ When you were gone before, Bo was devastated and if it hadn’t been for Shawn Douglas, I don’t know what he would have done. I had a small part in raising that little boy and it was a privilege and I thought that you must be this amazing person to have been loved liked that, but I do not know who I am seeing right now. “ In other works, she didn’t know Hope before and she doesn’t know her now. But it has been fun forging this new relationship and who doesn’t like two strong women going at it?"

Question: Kelly How does Carly feel after sleeping with Bo and being the other woman?

Answer: "She doesn’t see herself as being the other woman. Bo has told her that his marriage is over and she is not expecting anything from him. She does love him, but her main focus is her daughter. She does feel guilty about a lot of things and the timing probably wasn’t right, but she is aware that Bo has a mind of his own and would never intentionally hurt her. None of the 3 characters involved are totally right or totally wrong. I think it is all pretty evenly matched."

Question: intheOZ What is the best part of playing Carly the second time around?

Answer: "That she is not perfect. She is still strong and recovering from years of abuse and her heart is still in the right place. She loves the people she loves fiercely and is passionate about what she believes in, but she is impulsive, speaks too much when she should probably be quiet and at this point, she is really self-loathing to a degree. She doesn’t know how to feel good about herself but she is trying."

Question: Kelltwomyn

Hey Crystal!

Loving those fierce Carly scenes..seems the only time she can be fierce is when she is in Mama Bear mode. Vivian and Lawrence have done a real number on our feisty Carly. Do you think Bo will ever accept what Carly told him: that she isn't the same?

Answer: "I think Carly feels horribly insecure right now because she was abused for nearly two decades and she was nearly beaten so her daughter could live and be safe. I think who she is as a person is basically the same and Bo recognizes that."

Question: COCA

Crystal,

I simply adore you as Carly. So far my favorite Carly interactions since her return as been with Justin. Those two are so m interuch fun to watch. You and Wally Kurth are a joy to watch. How would feel about a Carly/Justin pairing?

Answer: "I think Wally Kurth is an amazing actor and a terrific person. As much as I love and adore working with Peter, you always want to keep yourself open to all the relationships on a canvas, even if it is not a romantic one, it could be interesting."

Question: Junebuggnc

I am loving seeing you on DOOL. Hated to see Otalia end. Am loving Venice too. One thing I am not quite getting on DOOL is that I think Carly has mention Nicky only twice. Once in her semi confession to Hope and then a reference that he would not be spending the holidays with her. That seems unrealistic to me. I know that she is all about protecting her daughter, but she has a son too.

Are there plans to mention more of Nicky or possibly bringing that character back onto the canvas?

Keep up the great work!!!

Answer: "Well thank you. I honestly do not know that what their plans are for Nicky. Carly feels so guilty about what she has done to Bo and Hope, Melanie, Melanie’s Father, and certainly Nicky. Nicky won’t even talk to her, but I would love to have the character on the canvas."

Question: Lily617

I have 2 questions if that's cool

How far in advance do you film everything?

and

If you could choose one character to have more scenes wblith or just scenes with in general who would it be?

Thanks for answering the q's and being such an inspiration! =]

Answer: "We are probably a couple of months ahead…I think… and I just love working with everyone, but it is so fun to work with John Aniston. He has a great sense of humor."

Question: Wirelessgal

Hi Crystal,

Welcome back to Days, I'm loving it again! You have amazing chemistry with Galen Gering on Venice. I loved the scenes with Carly and Rafe. Would you like to see Carly paired up with Rafe?
Thank you.

Answer: "So to go to from brother and sister on Venice and then lovers on Days…. that’s a big leap! I adore Galen and think he is so talented. I would work with him if I absolutely had too (laughingly)…and look at that pretty face all day."

Question: Luminous_Love

QUESTION: If you were the producer and writer for Days and you pretty much have carte blanche to do anything you want, what would you do differently with Carly's character in terms of storyline? What sort of issues would you like to focus on in conjuction with or completely separate from the current storyline?

Answer: "I do not think I would do anything differently."

QUESTION: Carly's grossly misunderstood and treated like an outsider. Pretty much everyone is against her. Hopefully when the truth does come out, this will change. Will she ever find some real friends she can trust and confide in besides Bo and Daniel? Personally, I don't think she should be romantically involved with anyone right now.Much love to you Crystal. I think you're brilliant and such an amazing woman in so many ways.

Answer: "I like the way the way they re-introduced Carly. It is better to have a lot of flaws in the beginning so I don’t think I would change anything. It is more interesting for the actor. I agree that Carly, Bo and Hope are people who are going through difficult periods in their lives and the timing is wrong, but it is a soap opera."

Question: Maksam3

Hi Crystal, You Rock!

I've wanted to ask these for a while! Thanks for forum.

I still battle with the fact that Carly ran off with Lawrence in the first place. She knew exactly what kind of a man he was.
Was she brainwashed? It seemed out of character.

Answer: "I think it was a quick wrap-up for our exit. That is the most obvious truth. However, I truly believe that Carly saw the man that she fell in love with and more so, she wanted to give Nicky a family and a home. I think a great deal of her motivation was her son."

Question: Carly was always a very strong and strong-willed character. She's definitely no saint, Helloooo Melanie.
Why would Carly do something, again, so out of character and stay with Lawrence even though he was all kinusids of abusive? Why not seek help sooner? She had friends, evidently.

Answer: "What happened was this. Lawrence and Carly got married and had a normal life with Nicky. Lawrence got sick, she helped him recover, but he became increasingly unstable and abusive. She stayed with him because of her son. She went to a medical conference had one night with a friend, admitted it was mistake, told Lawrence the truth and when she found out she was pregnant, Lawrence agreed to raise the baby with her. From the time of Melanie’s birth, she stayed with him so her baby would be alive and safe. So she stayed and took the punches. It was the most noble thing she could do for her child."

Question: Carly was also a person who did things on her own terms. After the murder charge was dropped, don't you think that disclosing Melanie's identity would have been a far better way to protect her? Reveal the secret on her own terms instead of the truth coming out in a way that she can't control it.

Answer: "Well no because even though the charges were dropped, Lawrence still had Family that made Melanie vulnerable and at that point, she was still deciding whether she would tell her at all…in order to keep her safe, If she had told Melanie and everyone knew she was her daughter, Vivian would have made a b-line for her."

Question: Where is Nikki? Could he not see that his mother needed help or is he now a mini Lawrence who will challenge the Di Mera's for alpha dawg status one day?

What does Carly think of Nikki's affair with Kate? Why has she never asked Kate about it or do Carly and Nikki have no contact? I have a million questions but I'll leave it at that.I'm loving the Carly storyline now. You have to be comfortable in your own skin to play Carly 2,0. She's so different!

Thanks
L

Answer: "Well I don’t think I have had scenes with Kate yet that have aired, but no her son won’ talk to her because of what she did to his Father. I am assuming he is living in Europe."

Question: Tvcat

Hello Crystal

Are there any more Lawrence flashbacks we can look forward to?

How do you possibly stay in character when Louise Sorel delivers her lines? (lurch happy elevator ride) Have you ever broken character?

What are your hours? Do you work long hours?

What's your commute time to work? 30 min, 1 hour?

Do you have a parking space at the studio or is it first come first serve?

Answer: "There are many more flashbacks scenes with Lawrence, Vivian and Carly. Lawrence just tortured Carly…. although I still think he is very cute…from me as the actress! Louise and I stay in character, but we laugh and have a great time and their hatred for each other is just too funny. We have short days at work and yes I do have a parking spot. I have pass to get on the lot too! And, I live about and ½ hour away."

Question: Samxart

Crystal, are you surprised by how popular Carly and Bo are becoming on the show now? I am noticing on a daily basis the onslaught of fans poppy up on message boards either remembering C&B 1.0 with great love and affection, or those like me discovering them for the first time. The magic is still there, defying the odds, and we're all in it for the long haul! Thank you.

Answer: "I am glad. I really love Bo and Carly and adore Peter. As long as there is good story, who know what can happen, and I have noticed the support and I am so grateful, and hopefully we can still tell a great story."

Question: Olddoolfan

and another similar quickie ....

Peter Reckell in three words? Last question I promise.

Answer: "Sweet, talented and delicious!"
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

King
Member Avatar

Sweet, talented, and delicious! LOL. Cute.

I love her on DAYS. I just have a bad feeling like it can end at any moment, and she can get her pink slip. Dunno why. :(

Kenny
Member Avatar

King
Jan 25 2010, 02:14 AM
I love her on DAYS. I just have a bad feeling like it can end at any moment, and she can get her pink slip. Dunno why. :(
I have the same worry. After this story arc is finished, she'll probably be ushered out a la Billie Reed. People who come between Bope don't seem to last long, LoL. Franco was written out... Billie was written out... Larry was written out... Patrick was written out...

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

They won't let her go. I'm not even convinced Bope will survive this, to be honest. Sure, if the show were to end in the near future (which I doubt), then Bope would be reunited but I do think they may be looking to take them in new directions for the time being. Just the sense I get.

CC's too popular (the show knew she was a hot commodity when they brought her back) and the fact that they bothered to test her with other characters/love interests (Rafe briefly, Justin, Daniel) and connected her to Melanie tells me they have an interest in keeping her on even if her story with Bo comes to an end soon. If they just brought her back and made her about nothing but Bo, then I would be a bit more concerned.

I would be more concerned about LS depending on how they handle this revenge plot. Sure, the show did a good job of integrating LK, JM, and JA into many plots this past year but LS is all about revenge on Carly and her daughter. Her and Victor aren't really anything beyond partners in crime and her relationship with Philip I can't see being enough to keep her on should they go too far with her. She's one I can see going pretty quickly, if anyone.

Kenny
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Jan 25 2010, 02:27 AM
I would be more concerned about LS depending on how they handle this revenge plot. She's one I can see going pretty quickly, if anyone.
She better not! I love her. Everyone loves her. She's too popular to let go.

As for Crystal, I do think the show brought her on knowing she was a hot commodity, but I'm not sure if they expected so many people to hate her like this, LoL. She's generated alot of story, but like most supercouple "interlopers," she is widely disliked by many viewers. I could see the writers getting rid of her once the story ends.

dylan76
Member Avatar

They would be truly stupid to let Crystal go AGAIN. If these are the last years of DAYS, than I hope that Carly AND Crystal are a huge part of that.

AlisonLou

I think Wally Kurth and maybe Louise Sorel would be gone before her. I think Justin will be written out sometime this year. Vivian will probably only be on till her contract expires. I think they are trying to tie up Crystal with most of the cast so that when they do reunite Bo and Hope she can be moved onto other stories. I think they will start to move her onto Daniel soon to get her out of Bope's orbit a little bit. I don't see them keeping her with Bo for too long.

Kevc1980
Member Avatar

Great interview. I'm excited for some Kate and Carly scenes. Looks like we get them soon.

AlisonLou

It wasn't an interview. People were just asking her questions on her messageboard/forum and she answered them.

Mirage75
Member Avatar

Yeah, there is no way that they would get rid of her. Crystal/Carly has brought in a lot of excitement to the show. DAYS would be stupid to let her go. There is still a lot that can do with her. She certainly doesn't need to be strapped to Bo as a love interest. I rather she be with someone different any way (Justin). :)

I'm glad she's back, I may hate parts of her stories- Melanie and Vivian crap, but I'm still enjoying her.
Edited by Mirage75, Jan 25 2010, 07:06 AM.

karmakatch63

Kenny
Jan 25 2010, 02:33 AM
PhoenixRising05
I would be more concerned about LS depending on how they handle this revenge plot. She's one I can see going pretty quickly, if anyone.

As for Crystal, I do think the show brought her on knowing that she was a hot commodity, but I'm not sure if they expected so many people to hate her like this, LoL. She's generated alot of story, but like most supercouple "interlopers," she is widely disliked by many viewers. I could see the writers getting rid of her once her story ends.
Honestly, I think they expected the hate. But I imagine they are surprised about the popularity of Bo and Carly and the disgust with Hope's treatment of Bo. Supercouples have a pattern of the sainted female victim half and the manipulated, stupid male half. Not this time.
It's long overdue, but Billie never had the impact on Bo and Hope (with Peter) as Carly has.
They had to use gimmicks and manipulation.
Kate hiring Franco, PG, brain chip sex, and Chelsea and Patrick manipulating- all were required to get Bo or Hope into bed with another.
The only gimmick, possibly, was Bo's vision but that's barely mentioned and when it is Hope mocks it.
No one manipulated Hope to be a nasty, selfish, blaming Bo for Ciara's kidnapping wench.
No one manipulated Bo to turn to Carly and feel his feelings for her and have sex with her.
No one is "dead."

I think Bo and Carly in a few months have a huge following compared to Bo and Billie after years and years and years of gimmicks.

Faye

I like Carly a lot, and she and Bo are cute together! As for Melanie, gosh I want her to know the truth already!!

karmakatch63

Kenny
PhoenixRising05

As for Crystal, I do think the show brought her on knowing she was a hot commodity, but I'm not sure if they expected so many people to hate her like this, LoL. She's generated alot of story, but like most supercouple "interlopers," she is widely disliked by many viewers. I could see the writers getting rid of her once the story ends.
One more thing. I think, I hope, that the day of writers not being allowed to do anything besides gimmick stories or not allowed to break up a supercouple ended when they got rid of J/M and S/K and they found out it would not kill DAYS ratings wise. In fact, I think they are probably shocked that the show is doing better ratings wise this year than any other show, gaining more viewers.
Supercouple fans may be vocal on a few message bbs, but imo that's a miniscule piece of the viewing pie.

I sure hope for the sake of Peter and Kristian that you are wrong. If this is the same old, same old "supercouple must rule" end game, I see Peter and Kristian gone before Crystal, or even worse, as the new Tom and Alice, no stories, stuck on the back burner in supporting roles.
No one better say they would "NEVER"........because we all know better. If "supercouples" were the future of DAYS they would not have rid the show of Shawn and Belle; they would have kept J/M and B/H to prop them. As for now, the only "mature actors" getting work are the nasty, the mean, the insane....Vic, Viv, Stephano, Kate. Even they take a back seat except when after a young person/couple. I'd hate to see Bo and Hope reduced to the role Roman now plays, on once a week to prop someone.

sandyeggo1

Kenny
Jan 25 2010, 02:17 AM
King
I have the same worry. After this story arc is finished, she'll probably be ushered out a la Billie Reed. People who come between Bope don't seem to last long, LoL. Franco was written out... Billie was written out... Larry was written out... Patrick was written out...
Ah, don't tease me. LOL! I'm hoping Venice gets picked up somewhere and becomes a real soap for her. Her heart is obviously there.

sandyeggo1

Sam09
Jan 25 2010, 08:16 AM
Kenny
PhoenixRising05

As for Crystal, I do think the show brought her on knowing that she was a hot commodity, but I'm not sure if they expected so many people to hate her like this, LoL. She's generated alot of story, but like most supercouple "interlopers," she is widely disliked by many viewers. I could see the writers getting rid of her once her story ends.
Honestly, I think they expected the hate. But I imagine they are surprised about the popularity of Bo and Carly and the disgust with Hope's treatment of Bo. Supercouples have a pattern of the sainted female victim half and the manipulated, stupid male half. Not this time.
It's long overdue, but Billie never had the impact on Bo and Hope (with Peter) as Carly has.
They had to use gimmicks and manipulation.
Kate hiring Franco, PG, brain chip sex, and Chelsea and Patrick manipulating- all were required to get Bo or Hope into bed with another.
The only gimmick, possibly, was Bo's vision but that's barely mentioned and when it is Hope mocks it.
No one manipulated Hope to be a nasty, selfish, blaming Bo for Ciara's kidnapping wench.
No one manipulated Bo to turn to Carly and feel his feelings for her and have sex with her.
No one is "dead."

I think Bo and Carly in a few months have a huge following compared to Bo and Billie after years and years and years of gimmicks.
Since Hope's "treatment of Bo" was manufactured for sake of Da Plot, I'm sure they knew what to expect. Just as they know what they are doing with all of the disgust with Bo's behavior currently. All part of Da Plot.

sandyeggo1

Sam09
Jan 25 2010, 08:30 AM
Kenny
PhoenixRising05

One more thing. I think, I hope, that the day of writers not being allowed to do anything besides gimmick stories or not allowed to break up a supercouple ended when they got rid of J/M and S/K and they found out it would not kill DAYS ratings wise. In fact, I think they are probably shocked that the show is doing better ratings wise this year than any other show, gaining more viewers.
Supercouple fans may be vocal on a few message bbs, but imo that's a miniscule piece of the viewing pie.

I sure hope for the sake of Peter and Kristian that you are wrong. If this is the same old, same old "supercouple must rule" end game, I see Peter and Kristian gone before Crystal, or even worse, as the new Tom and Alice, no stories, stuck on the back burner in supporting roles.
No one better say they would "NEVER"........because we all know better. If "supercouples" were the future of DAYS they would not have rid the show of Shawn and Belle; they would have kept J/M and B/H to prop them. As for now, the only "mature actors" getting work are the nasty, the mean, the insane....Vic, Viv, Stephano, Kate. Even they take a back seat except when after a young person/couple. I'd hate to see Bo and Hope reduced to the role Roman now plays, on once a week to prop someone.
I couldn't disagree with you more (surprised right? :laugh: ). I just looks like sour grapes from a borly fan to say that "if Bo and Hope get back together they will be over". There are plenty of stories to be told. The only thing this storyline has proved is that Bo and Hope do not belong on the back burner.

Liz<3Days
Member Avatar

I this the hate's concentrated on MBs because those of us that care enough to be on MB and seek out other to talk to about DAYS are going to have passionate opinions. A lot of those fans are also "old school" DAYS fans who relate to the "supercouple" formula. They may see this as the end of the "supercouple" road....I can picture this..no more Bope for a while. GT just doesnt seem interested in keeping couples longer then a year..sign of the times.

As for the interview, right now, I dont see Bo, Carly and Hope as equals. Carly has been off the canvas far too long for her to compare herself to Hope in Bos eyes- at least it should be that way. I think thats another reason why people dont like this character.

I also dont buy the explanation about staying with Larry for 15+ years. Her affair would have lasted a year, why stay 14 more? I know people that have been abused sometimes dont get out of a relationship, but 14 years?? I dont see a strong Carly, but a weak one, one that frankly I thought I would be rooting for against Hope. And she's a bit stalkerish when it comes to Melanie-its totally obvious there's a connection and why Vivian hasnt picked up upon it until this past Friday, I have no clue.

CC's here to stay, I just wish they did a better job of introducing her. I wish it would have been something medically related in which she was the "only" specialist and came back to save someone in Salem...have her do that...all in the while, BOPE, are fighting all over the place...maybe it could have been Ciara that was sick and BOPE fighting because this brings up old memories of Zack, and they never dealth with them. Then SLOWLY, you get the flashbacks of Carly escaping Larry, etc.

dc cubs
Member Avatar

Kenny
Jan 25 2010, 02:17 AM
King
I don't think Carly will be leaving Salem anytime soon. The fact that they are tying Carly to other characters is a good thing. Having her be Melanie's mother is a good move and should keep her on the canvas. Then there's the Daniel connection which I could see Days exploring.

PhoenixRising05 is right that Vivian's story is all about Carly's revenge. So if they got rid of Carly than what's left for Vivian. That's why I don't see either Carly or Vivian leaving Salem anytime soon.
Edited by dc cubs, Jan 25 2010, 11:00 AM.

karmakatch63

Liz<3Days
Jan 25 2010, 10:32 AM
I this the hate's concentrated on MBs because those of us that care enough to be on MB and seek out other to talk to about DAYS are going to have passionate opinions. A lot of those fans are also "old school" DAYS fans who relate to the "supercouple" formula. They may see this as the end of the "supercouple" road....I can picture this..no more Bope for a while. GT just doesnt seem interested in keeping couples longer then a year..sign of the times.

As for the interview, right now, I dont see Bo, Carly and Hope as equals. Carly has been off the canvas far too long for her to compare herself to Hope in Bos eyes- at least it should be that way. I think thats another reason why people dont like this character.

I also dont buy the explanation about staying with Larry for 15+ years. Her affair would have lasted a year, why stay 14 more? I know people that have been abused sometimes dont get out of a relationship, but 14 years?? I dont see a strong Carly, but a weak one, one that frankly I thought I would be rooting for against Hope. And she's a bit stalkerish when it comes to Melanie-its totally obvious there's a connection and why Vivian hasnt picked up upon it until this past Friday, I have no clue.

CC's here to stay, I just wish they did a better job of introducing her. I wish it would have been something medically related in which she was the "only" specialist and came back to save someone in Salem...have her do that...all in the while, BOPE, are fighting all over the place...maybe it could have been Ciara that was sick and BOPE fighting because this brings up old memories of Zack, and they never dealth with them. Then SLOWLY, you get the flashbacks of Carly escaping Larry, etc.
Respectfully but TOTALLY disagree.
Quality not quantity is more important in a fictional love story. Even in real life people have been know to have stayed many years in a loveless marriage ....and not until they found love did they think about moving on. May not thrill some people, but that's the truth.
Abused woman don't easily leave.....especially when a child might be left behind. It's hard enough for many women in a democracy to get out safely. In a country like Alamainia, where Bo made it clear that it is in a part of the world where , women have no rights, it's almost impossible. And that's true even in REAL LIFE. When folks say why did she just not do it, (even in real life cases) clearly people don't know what it takes to escape the physical and social power men have in many countries.

Carly is a woman who made a bad choice with Lawrence. Not unique, even on DAYS. Hope made a terrible choice with Larry Welch; with Patrick. Kayla made a terrible choice with Jack. Marlena made a terrible choice with Alex North, or Commissioner Gates. The only difference is that they were ONSCREEN so they were given a man to rescue them. Offscreen, no one gets help at all. Why didn't Marlena or Hope or Steve or Roman escape from Stefano all those years? They don't get trashed for not overcoming the power people who were abusing them. But Carly is at fault for not escaping Lawrence????

I see that as unfair and misogynistic. An abused woman is supposed to do it herself less she gets blamed. Unless of course it's a "supercouple female.." Then she has no responsibility and is always rescued by others.

duckie
Member Avatar

Sam09
Jan 25 2010, 11:40 AM
Abused woman don't easily leave.....especially when a child might be left behind. It's hard enough for many women in a democracy to get out safely. In a country like Alamainia, where Bo made it clear that it is in a part of the world where , women have no rights, it's almost impossible. And that's true even in REAL LIFE. When folks say why did she just not do it, (even in real life cases) clearly people don't know what it takes to escape the physical and social power men have in many countries.

Carly is a woman who made a bad choice with Lawrence. Not unique, even on DAYS. Hope made a terrible choice with Larry Welch; with Patrick. Kayla made a terrible choice with Jack. Marlena made a terrible choice with Alex North, or Commissioner Gates. The only difference is that they were ONSCREEN so they were given a man to rescue them. Offscreen, no one gets help at all. Why didn't Marlena or Hope or Steve or Roman escape from Stefano all those years? They don't get trashed for not overcoming the power people who were abusing them. But Carly is at fault for not escaping Lawrence????

I see that as unfair and misogynistic. An abused woman is supposed to do it herself less she gets blamed. Unless of course it's a "supercouple female.." Then she has no responsibility and is always rescued by others.
THIS.

I have worked in the legal system for years, and for years I have seen women drop the charges against their abusers because they're afraid the abuser won't be convicted and things will be worse for them after the man gets out. Or they drop the charges because they mistakenly think the abuse comes from a place of love, or because they think they don't deserve any better because they've been abused since childhood, or because they think the abuser can change. Abuse of any kind is way more complicated than just condemning the abused party as being weak.

In the answers to her questions, though, CC makes it clear that she didn't stay because she loved Lawrence, or because she thought he could change, or that she thought he abused her because he loved her. She stayed to protect her child. The flashbacks we've seen have also made that clear. Lawrence took the child and gave her away. He threatened to harm the child if Carly ever left, so she stayed to protect the child. When Carly was first reintroduced, she had just found out that despite all the years she had stayed with him and kept up her end of the bargain, Lawrence had ordered that the child be killed anyway. There was a flashback for that, too. That's what launched this storyline.

Long-term abuse like that has lasting effects. I've seen it in my work and in my personal experience. Unfortunately, soaps don't generally deal with it in any sort of realistic way. Hope came back from the dead with no real effects (other than amnesia). The years of her kidnapping didn't really leave her traumatized. The same thing with Marlena, etc. This is the first time on Days (to my knowledge) that we've seen an attempt to deal with the effects of long-term trauma on a woman. We've seen attempts to deal with memory loss, but not what I would consider PTSD due to extreme long-term abuse.

If you watch Carly, she actually appears quite competent and capable in her job and in her dealings with everyone, except Vivian and Melanie. That's very normal for someone in her position. Vivian is the one her buried her alive and is going to be a tremendous trigger for her. Melanie is also going to be a trigger because she's the daughter she can't identify herself to. So she's not weak; she's just not as strong as she can ultimately be once she deals with her abuse.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create your own social network with a free forum.
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply