Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Crystal Chappell Days Q&A
Topic Started: Jan 25 2010, 01:51 AM (2,511 Views)
LawlyFan4ever
Member Avatar

dc cubs
Jan 25 2010, 10:38 AM
Kenny
Jan 25 2010, 02:17 AM
King
Jan 25 2010, 02:14 AM
I love her on DAYS. I just have a bad feeling like it can end at any moment, and she can get her pink slip. Dunno why. :(
I have the same worry. After this story arc is finished, she'll probably be ushered out a la Billie Reed. People who come between Bope don't seem to last long, LoL. Franco was written out... Billie was written out... Larry was written out... Patrick was written out...
I don't think Carly will be leaving Salem anytime soon. The fact that they are tying Carly to other characters is a good thing. Having her be Melanie's mother is a good move and should keep her on the canvas. Then there's the Daniel connection which I could see Days exploring.

PhoenixRising05 is right that Vivian's story is all about Carly's revenge. So if they got rid of Carly than what's left for Vivian. That's why I don't see either Carly or Vivian leaving Salem anytime soon.
That's what Vivian was all about back in the 90s and she remained on the show for at least 5 years after CC & MS made their exit.
I have no concerns about LS exiting anytime soon. The actress can hold her own even without trying to bump off Carly.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

karmakatch63

esp13
Jan 25 2010, 05:04 PM
I don't think Carly is weak for staying with Lawrence under the circumstances that the writers have presented us with. The problem that the writers can't get around is that Carly looks like an idiot for leaving with Lawrence in the first place. CC and her fans can rationalize it all they want as a result of the departures of MS and CC from the show. And they can talk about how it had everything to do with Nicholas, etc., and not Lawrence. I get it, I sympathize with it, but it doesn't change the fact that Carly willingly left town with a man who had raped her best friend, tried to kill the man she claimed to love, succeeded in killing somebody else, and had not been remotely redeemed for any of those acts. Like it or not, it's a little harder to sympathize with someone who puts herself willingly into the hands of a man she knows (or by any reasonable measure should know) is capable of all kinds of heinous crimes.

For all the comparisons to Marlena, Kayla, and Hope, I don't think the stories are remotely similar. Kayla had no reason to know that Jack might turn violent and, to the best of my knowledge, neither did Marlena or Hope in their situations. They may have made bad choices but they didn't knowingly enter into relationships with violent people.

Now, before I get told that I'm blaming the victim, let me make myself clear. Carly's idiotic choice DOES NOT excuse or justify Lawrence's actions. But, it's not something to be ignored either. If the show was smart (snort!) it would simply address that problem by having Carly acknowledge she was wrong and that her decision to leave was brought on by her mixed-up emotions following her near death and amnesia, etc. That would go a long way towards fixing the problem.
And the writers allowed rapist Jack to change because he was on the canvas...
and allowed thug and attempted murderer Steve (who tried to kill Bo, Hope, Shane, Pop Shawn) to change because Reckell went to tptb (at a time when actors were allowed to do that) "reform and change".

It's a soap. It's fiction. So the writers can do and have characters say anything.
Jen knew Jack was a rapist and married him anyway. In real life, there would be a better than average chance she would end up like Carly. Kayla knew Steve was violent. In real life, doubtful he would have become Mr. Nice guy and best friends with his victims.
Had MS and CC stayed on screen, same thing....reform, voila, rapist and thug is OK.

The writers NOW can say anything they want to justify Carly's choice because she is a fictional character. Maybe it was the herbs. Maybe it was ptsd from being buried alive. People get all kinds of "excuses" on the soaps for making bad choices. Why should Carly not be allowed an excuse too?

esp13
Member Avatar

Sam09
Jan 25 2010, 10:21 PM
and allowed thug and attempted murderer Steve (who tried to kill Bo, Hope, Shane, Pop Shawn) to change because Reckell went to tptb (at a time when actors were allowed to do that) "reform and change".

It's a soap. It's fiction. So the writers can do and have characters say anything.
Jen knew Jack was a rapist and married him anyway. In real life, there would be a better than average chance she would end up like Carly. Kayla knew Steve was violent. In real life, doubtful he would have become Mr. Nice guy and best friends with his victims.
Had MS and CC stayed on screen, same thing....reform, voila, rapist and thug is OK.

The writers NOW can say anything they want to justify Carly's choice because she is a fictional character. Maybe it was the herbs. Maybe it was ptsd from being buried alive. People get all kinds of "excuses" on the soaps for making bad choices. Why should Carly not be allowed an excuse too?
Yes, both Jack and Steve were allowed to change, but that's the whole point. They both had long-term redemption arcs BEFORE they were paired up with their respective leading ladies. The audience was able to see the changes in these characters play out over time. However unrealistic in might be in real life, redemption stories are the life blood of soaps and both characters got good ones. That never happened with Lawrence. He wasn't gradually turned into a decent guy before he and Carly left together. So, no matter how you want to explain it, the fact is that she left town with a guy who had shown no remorse or redemption for his prior bad acts. That's the difference between Lawrence and Jack or Lawrence and Steve.

And, if you re-read my message, I think it's clear that I'm not saying that Carly isn't allowed an excuse. The writers have a ready made one on hand. She was in a totally mixed-up emotional place after her near death and amnesia. Plus, she was afraid of losing her son. All that mixed up emotion caused her to make a bad decision and put her faith in an unfounded belief that Lawrence had changed. Voila . . . excuse provided. She made a bad decision because of all the bad things that had happened to her. But until that issue is addressed in some way, for those of us that remember Lawrence, his crimes, and his lack of redemption, it still makes Carly look stupid for running off with him and then being surprised when he turned out not to be a good guy.

lysie
Member Avatar

Sam09
Jan 25 2010, 10:21 PM
esp13
Jan 25 2010, 05:04 PM
I don't think Carly is weak for staying with Lawrence under the circumstances that the writers have presented us with. The problem that the writers can't get around is that Carly looks like an idiot for leaving with Lawrence in the first place. CC and her fans can rationalize it all they want as a result of the departures of MS and CC from the show. And they can talk about how it had everything to do with Nicholas, etc., and not Lawrence. I get it, I sympathize with it, but it doesn't change the fact that Carly willingly left town with a man who had raped her best friend, tried to kill the man she claimed to love, succeeded in killing somebody else, and had not been remotely redeemed for any of those acts. Like it or not, it's a little harder to sympathize with someone who puts herself willingly into the hands of a man she knows (or by any reasonable measure should know) is capable of all kinds of heinous crimes.

For all the comparisons to Marlena, Kayla, and Hope, I don't think the stories are remotely similar. Kayla had no reason to know that Jack might turn violent and, to the best of my knowledge, neither did Marlena or Hope in their situations. They may have made bad choices but they didn't knowingly enter into relationships with violent people.

Now, before I get told that I'm blaming the victim, let me make myself clear. Carly's idiotic choice DOES NOT excuse or justify Lawrence's actions. But, it's not something to be ignored either. If the show was smart (snort!) it would simply address that problem by having Carly acknowledge she was wrong and that her decision to leave was brought on by her mixed-up emotions following her near death and amnesia, etc. That would go a long way towards fixing the problem.

Because this story isn't playing out like that now and didn't play out like that before.

And seriously? The "this is fiction" defense? That's right up there with haters...

cassie1013

Quote:

Question: Where is Nikki? Could he not see that his mother needed help or is he now a mini Lawrence who will challenge the Di Mera's for alpha dawg status one day?

What does Carly think of Nikki's affair with Kate? Why has she never asked Kate about it or do Carly and Nikki have no contact? I have a million questions but I'll leave it at that.I'm loving the Carly storyline now. You have to be comfortable in your own skin to play Carly 2,0. She's so different!

Thanks
L

Answer: "Well I donít think I have had scenes with Kate yet that have aired, but no her son woní talk to her because of what she did to his Father. I am assuming he is living in Europe."

THANK YOU!!! LOL - I guess she doesn't know about the awesomely hot, yet hilarious, Kate and Nicky!

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Fully Featured & Customizable Free Forums
Learn More · Sign-up for Free
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply