Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Kidnapped! Galen Gering on the Search for Sydney; Sony interview
Topic Started: Jan 26 2010, 05:43 PM (4,507 Views)
Angie79
Member Avatar
Royal Reporter

Kidnapped! Galen Gering on the Search for Sydney

For anyone involved, a kidnapping is a trying, stressful time. And that's certainly the case for Sami, Rafe and EJ with Sydney's kidnapping. Especially, perhaps, because everyone had just learned that Sydney was, in fact, Sami and EJ's child. "Obviously it was great when we got her back, and then for her to be taken again, I think, made it perhaps even more difficult for the two to endure. It just shakes you again," Galen told us about Rafe and Sami. And although he has the benefit of having something to do in actively running the investigation and trying to get the child back, Rafe continues to be torn between his two lives.

"There's a delicate balance there for him," Galen says. "I think in some recent storyline there's been a time when he's been too much of the professional FBI guy and not enough of the loving, supportive boyfriend. And as an actor it's also a very delicate balance. How much to impart as far as that emotional level versus the business level. (Executive Producer) Gary Tomlin has been awesome in helping me balance that. It's really great to have a rudder and he's really helped me through that.

"My background was a film student, to produce and direct," Galen continued. "I came right out of film school right into the soap opera. The day I graduated I started on Passions. I always found it so weird that in the soap genre, basically the directors for the most part were … you never saw them. Maybe in a dry block or something like that or they'd give notes, but they weren't on the floor, they weren't really accessible. Every once in awhile they would come over the loudspeaker and say something. It was not at all what I had grown to expect or think a director did. Having Gary as a producer, in many ways he's really acting as a director and clearly has an overall vision of the show. Not to mention, we move so quickly that a person has to be right there and accessible. It's got to be a tiring job to be on point that many hours a day, every day, day in and day out, in addition to all of the other responsibilities that the guy has. It's really awesome. Except when we want to screw around! You get the eye roll, then he circles his finger like 'let's get going.'"

Galen continued telling us his thoughts about Gary Tomlin's role and performance as executive producer. "I think that our genre begs it more than any other because of the pace at which we move. There's not time as an actor to get rehearsals. I just think there's so many reasons why it's soundly important. I would think that it would be a business model that every show would want to take. But, again, it takes a lot of work and I don't know if people are willing to do that. There have been many, many instances where having him there, without question, has made the show better, leaner, meaner. More interesting, on a lot of levels."

Along with having Gary Tomlin around to help him develop and direct his character, Galen likes being able to read ahead to see what's coming up, a luxury only possible when the writing staff, as it is now, is far enough ahead of the production schedule. "I'd say one of the most important aspects for me is to be able to see what is coming ahead," Galen said. "For instance, this past week, I knew that I had a scene where I was going to be completely breaking down emotionally. You see the guy in his office and the whole situation has gotten the best of him. So I know that that's obviously the most fragile, the softest side of this guy. Leading into that, I know that I can be the opposite. You can see this gruff exterior. It's just a contrast. I was able to play a contrast there. That's a nice thing to have, the luxury to have scripts that are at least seven, eight, ten shows ahead so I can read them."

While reading ahead is great, shooting those scripts out of order, as the show is currently doing, is more of a challenge. "It does take doing some homework and it's been difficult, I will say, because of the fact that we're really shooting out of order now in an effort to maximize cost-effectiveness. We're going to shoot episode 76 and then we're going to shoot 84 and then we're going to shoot 71 and you're just like, what is going on?! I have plans to actually map it out even further so that I'm more organized. I think that's going to help me, as well."

Galen went on to discuss that scene where Rafe finally breaks down emotionally under all the stress. "For my character," Galen said, "it's difficult because you know this guy, you don't really see him like that. I think only once he's been like that, when Grace died. I have to be very careful to pick and choose those moments. And they're intense. That's for sure. Definitely as an actor, as a person, I go to a place where in normal life I really don't go, either, that much. They're intense; they're fun. It's definitely like getting on a roller coaster."

Many actors enjoy these kinds of scenes, where they get to plumb the depths of their emotions. They do, however, have their drawbacks. As Galen told it, "they're kind of stressful in that, for instance, the one scene that I was describing, I saw it before we went on a break. We had the two weeks off for the Christmas holiday and I knew that I had this scene the day that we were coming back. When you first come back after a vacation like that you're usually just a little rusty. Much in the same way an athlete would be rusty if they weren't playing whatever sport they're doing all the time. They're a little rough around the edges. So I was a little apprehensive being you don't see this character go to that place that often, I wanted it to be good. I was definitely surprised by how accessible it was for me to go there. Certainly I thought about it and planned, but you really don't know until you're out there. And when you're out there, there are a lot of pressures of the set. The noise, the pace, the inherent fact that forty people are staring at you! Now I've just got to lose it?! But, yeah, it was good."

Part of this storyline has involved Sami lying to her boyfriend (and lead investigator in Sydney's kidnapping). EJ brought her the ransom notes the "kidnapper" sent regarding Sydney, and talked Sami into keeping them to herself. Of course, Rafe was bound to learn the truth; somehow, that always happens in Salem. He "was very disappointed," Galen said. "Saddened by what he feels is potentially lost time … lost clues … Jeopardizing the investigation, really." And this brought back the tension of that balance between FBI agent and boyfriend.

"You've got this professional guy trying to head up this investigation and the person he loves and cares about the most in the world has, for all intents and purposes, sort of betrayed him by not giving him this information," Galen told us. "Yet at the same time, it's also her child. Her and EJ's child. It's really a tightrope there. The most important thing clearly is getting this child back alive and bringing this person to justice. So he has to not let his ego get in the way, although certainly there is some of that, it can't be the most important thing … If the tone that shines through is 'oh my God, you lied to me, blah, blah, blah' it's sort of missing the point. The point is we need to get the child back. You didn't tell me, I think that may have sacrificed part of this investigation. Hopefully, we can get things back on track. 'Please do not lie to me. This is crucial.' Move on! You know what I mean? You can't dwell on that. Certainly, once the child is back, there will be issues that I think will be addressed in regards to that. But at this point in time, it's like, keep fighting the fight."

What is complicating the situation is the fact that, well, EJ is EJ (meaning not necessarily the nicest guy and willing to do whatever it takes to win), and he is the father of the child in question, not Sami's current partner, Rafe. Galen, however, does not believe that Rafe feels threatened by EJ. Instead, he thinks he "feels as though EJ, at this point – a little later, it will become more clear – is, for whatever reason, using the situation to get closer to Sami. He has this perverse look in his eye…. It's all very subtle but it's just a tone that Rafe seems to be picking up on. Like in some way he's getting some kick out of the whole thing. That's not the overall feel, but it's in the back of Rafe's mind." Odd, but perhaps not too surprising if you know what EJ is really up to.

"I don't think he's threatened any more than he was threatened before," Galen continued. "If Sami wants to be with this guy, that's her choice. I think if that is her choice, then Rafe and Sami don't belong together anyway. You know what I mean? I think she's smarter than that. I think she knows to a certain degree who EJ is, what he stands for, albeit he is very convincing especially with that accent! I think if she chooses to want to be with him, I don't know how much Rafe gets in there and fights. I think that the thing that Rafe loves about her is that she's smart, that she's perceptive, that she's independent. And it's those qualities that not only make him attracted to her but also make her the person she is and give her the ability to make these choices on her own."

Rafe's FBI training also helps him to understand that Sami why pushing him away, even if EJ may be partly responsible. "He knows that emotionally it's a very trying time for her, as well as for him, as well as for EJ, for all intents and purposes," Galen said. "Weird stuff is bound to happen. Hopefully, they're going to be able to get through all of this, weather the storm, get the kid back, etc., but all bets are off. He understands that relationships that go through this kind of situation, their chances of success diminish. Hopefully, cooler heads will prevail in the long run."

We hope so, too. And we've got to say, Rafe sounds like a great boyfriend.

http://daysofourlives.com/specials/interviews_detail_4304.html
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

kitkat
Member Avatar

ooooooh! so Good!
Edited by kitkat, Jan 26 2010, 06:07 PM.

Kenny
Member Avatar

Angie79
Jan 26 2010, 05:43 PM
While reading ahead is great, shooting those scripts out of order, as the show is currently doing, is more of a challenge. "It does take doing some homework and it's been difficult, I will say, because of the fact that we're really shooting out of order now in an effort to maximize cost-effectiveness. We're going to shoot episode 76 and then we're going to shoot 84 and then we're going to shoot 71 and you're just like, what is going on?! I have plans to actually map it out even further so that I'm more organized. I think that's going to help me, as well."
That must be why the show seems like such a zig-zaggy mess. I'm sure it's difficult for the actors to really find a groove and allow their performances to flow naturally when they're constantly jumping from episode to episode and shooting the scenes out of order, in bits and pieces. That would drive me insane, LoL. And it clearly affects the final product. As we all know though, the final product doesn't matter. It's all about saving money. Blah.

Anyway, yeah... Galen sucks, LoL.

SocRMum1
Member Avatar
Much prefers sweevil, snarky EJ over Father Figure Fucktard Eejiot.

Kenny
Jan 26 2010, 06:10 PM
Angie79
That must be why the show seems like such a zig-zaggy mess. I'm sure it's difficult for the actors to really find a groove and allow their performances to flow naturally when they're constantly jumping from episode to episode and shooting the scenes out of order, in bits and pieces. That would drive me insane, LoL. And it clearly affects the final product. As we all know though, the final product doesn't matter. It's all about saving money. Blah.

:iagree: with all of what you said. Especially the last part.

kitkat
Member Avatar

SocRMum1
Jan 26 2010, 06:12 PM
Kenny
Angie79

Tho, I do find the episode zig-zagged, I'm glad everyone doesn't walk around with the same opinion. What a boring world it would be, I mean freedom of expression is a good thing, but my thoughts on James will remain, well with me. I do find those pink shirts a bit interesting... really I do.

TINA222
Member Avatar

Ass kisser. I hate those types.
Sami is smart and independent. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Since when??
Edited by TINA222, Jan 26 2010, 06:55 PM.

Kenny
Member Avatar

TINA222
Jan 26 2010, 06:52 PM
Ass kisser.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

aimees76
Member Avatar

TINA222
Sami is smart and independent. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Since when??
LOL. That's what I took away from this interview, too.

Eric83
Member Avatar
"Relax nobody's having sex.... at least not yet"

SocRMum1
Jan 26 2010, 06:12 PM
Kenny
Angie79

Count me in as well. :lol:

TINA222
Member Avatar

GG and Tomlin probably have matching tattoos. BFF's FOREVER. :lol: no the BF does not stand for best friend. :biggrin:
Edited by TINA222, Jan 26 2010, 07:05 PM.

kitkat
Member Avatar

TINA222

not since EJ has got involved lately and that maybe their biggest problem, lately she's lost her marbles.

Eric83
Member Avatar

TINA222
Jan 26 2010, 07:01 PM
GG and Tomlin probably have matching tattoos. BFF's FOREVER. :lol: no the BF does not stand for best friend. :biggrin:
LMAO!

Manda1

aimees76
Jan 26 2010, 06:58 PM
TINA222
LOL. That's what I took away from this interview, too.
It's interesting that this is your perception I took it as Sami seems to be falling for everything EJ is saying hook, line and sinker at the moment but may begin to become suspicious........I would hope so because the Salem brain has been with Rafe and now EJ hopefully it will soon be Sami's turn.

Also I am glad this interview states that we aren't going to see Rafe using any underhand scemes to get Sami to remain in a relationship with him. She is going to be left free to make whatever choice she wants and I am really pleased about that. So the only real manipulator she'll have to worry about is EJ because he will want to 'ensure' she goes back to him! Somehow I don't think EJ subscribes to the belief 'If you love someone let them go...if they were yours they will come back to you' :lol:

samixxx
Member Avatar

Great interview, thanks for posting. I can't wait to see the scenes that Galen was speaking of coming up for Rafe, I thought he was wonderful during Grace's death storyline.

samixxx
Member Avatar

Quote:

It's interesting that this is your perception I took it as Sami seems to be falling for everything EJ is saying hook, line and sinker at the moment but may begin to become suspicious........I would hope so because the Salem brain has been with Rafe and now EJ hopefully it will soon be Sami's turn.

Also I am glad this interview states that we aren't going to see Rafe using any underhand scemes to get Sami to remain in a relationship with him. She is going to be left free to make whatever choice she wants and I am really pleased about that. So the only real manipulator she'll have to worry about is EJ because he will want to 'ensure' she goes back to him! Somehow I don't think EJ subscribes to the belief 'If you love someone let them go...if they were yours they will come back to you' :lol:
I agree that's one of my favorite parts, Go Rafe. :wub:
Edited by samixxx, Jan 26 2010, 07:18 PM.

TINA222
Member Avatar

God I hope Sami chooses Rafe. If I didnt hate him so much I would pity the bastard. Go Rafe! Win the prize in the cracker jack box.

Mason
Member Avatar

TINA222
Jan 26 2010, 07:20 PM
God I hope Sami chooses Rafe. If I didnt hate him so much I would pity the bastard. Go Rafe! Win the prize in the cracker jack box.
More like the litter box.

Eric83
Member Avatar

Mason
TINA222
More like the litter box.
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

I find it interesting about the comment on the directors, seeing as we sometimes comment there IS no direction. Other than that.........meh. These articles are all starting to read the same to me.

Daytime
Member Avatar

LMBO! Galen sure does kiss up alot. Whatever school he went to for acting, he should get his money back. He sucks bigtime. I guess Galen's lips is permantly glued to GT and AS backside. LOL

Loser!

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums with no limits on posts or members.
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply