Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
SON Tweet About Days Future on NBC
Topic Started: Jan 28 2010, 01:25 PM (3,264 Views)
dc cubs
Member Avatar

Here's a tweet from Soap Opera Network (SON) about a possible renewal for Days.

https://twitter.com/SoapOperaNetwrk/status/8332410551

Quote:

#DAYS - Signs pointing to NBC renewing the series for multiple seasons.

SON is pretty accurate when it comes to reporting news in the soap industry. I take this as a good sign especially since the renewal could be for more than one year. Have any of the other DR Days insiders heard something about a renewal? I would think an announcement should come by early April one way or another.
Edited by dc cubs, Jan 28 2010, 02:53 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Everything I've heard suggests that the option to renew Days through September 2011 is pretty much a certainty to get picked up. However, I have heard there has been discussion concerning NBC keeping Days beyond that but Days would have to continue to keep their budget in check and ratings and demos would have to continue to be above a certain point (2.0 in HH and 2nd/3rd place in demos at the very least). NBC just wants to continue to make a profit off of it. Believe it or not, the whole Days book deal may play a huge role because that is another stream of revenue for Days and that can only help the budget. NBC is very happy with it right now, though. It gets a heavy amount of viewing online too and NBC has enough other issues to worry about. They have no interest in messing with daytime too much and if a profit is being made, then they are pleased.

Another rumor I've heard off and on the past few years is that Corday is just trying to get Days to 50 years on the air and then call it quits but I would take that one with a grain of salt at this point because this is Corday we're talking about.

dc cubs
Member Avatar

Does anyone know the status of that additional year option for the current contract? The option said if Days met certain requirements the current contract would be extended until September, 2011. It was never publicly stated what those requirements were but it probably had to do with budget and ratings. Will that option get picked up and then the new contract starts after that option?
Edited by dc cubs, Feb 2 2010, 01:45 AM.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

dc cubs
Jan 28 2010, 01:56 PM
Does anyone know the status of that six month option for the current contract? The option said if Days met certain requirements the current contract would be extended until March, 2011. It was never publicly stated what those requirements were but it probably had to do with budget and ratings. Will that option get picked up and then the new contract starts after that option?
Once it gets picked up, the option kicks in in September 2010. The show should be notified anywhere between now and April about the option. My feeling was that NBC would let sweeps help them make the final decision but given how well the show has done, I would not be surprised if they let them know sooner. NBC doesn't need anymore bad PR and Days has gotten alot of buzz with what they've done so they may want to make themselves look good by announcing it sooner.

All I've heard about the requirements is Days needs to reach the top 3 in 18-49 and 18-34 regularly and maintain at least a 2.0 or better in HH regularly along with keeping it's budget in check to ensure a certain profit. I think there may be other factors too but those are the only ones I've ever heard about.

ljacks13
Member Avatar

Before anyone has faith in NBC. I have two words: Conan O'Brien. Networks have no loyalty to anything, and the only reason they are keeping on DAYS is because every other part of schedule daytime and primetime are a complete. They are lucky to still have DAYS performing as well as has been. God forbid those ratings go down.

sungrey

I sense Days' immediate ratings are a bit shaky at the moment, but the big thing is the demos are up and it's still top three. And Days should stay there, barring GH getting back either Genie Francis or Vanessa Marcil.

I wouldn't be too worried. NBC's already fucked its late night lineup up beyond belief and they came to their senses with the prime-time lineup (more dramas, scripted shows at 10, etc.). I would not think NBC would be THIS stupid when it came to Days.

Eric83
Member Avatar
"Relax nobody's having sex.... at least not yet"

NBC wouldn't dare cancel DAYS after the late night fiasco. This soap has the most rabid fanbase of all the soaps, and they would go crazy.

A multiple season renewal for DAYS would be fantastic. I so hope this happens. It's nice to finally not have cancellation rumors around a soap for once.

jane1978

ga68153
Jan 28 2010, 05:55 PM
NBC wouldn't dare cancel DAYS after the late night fiasco. This soap has the most rabid fanbase of all the soaps, and they would go crazy.

A multiple season renewal for DAYS would be fantastic. I so hope this happens. It's nice to finally not have cancellation rumors around a soap for once.
Multiple season renewal would be wonderfull and maybe Sony/Corday would be willing to invest into the show again. I know the budget is small but I still suspect there is a moratorium on all spending because they donīt want to invest into it anything more than necesseraly when they show may end this year. If they had a longer perspective and some support from the network I think we could see some changes, possibly even new sets and technology update into full digital HD processing.

Kevc1980
Member Avatar

I would love for Days to go HD.

dc cubs
Member Avatar

sungrey
Jan 28 2010, 04:52 PM
I sense Days' immediate ratings are a bit shaky at the moment, but the big thing is the demos are up and it's still top three. And Days should stay there, barring GH getting back either Genie Francis or Vanessa Marcil.

I wouldn't be too worried. NBC's already fucked its late night lineup up beyond belief and they came to their senses with the prime-time lineup (more dramas, scripted shows at 10, etc.). I would not think NBC would be THIS stupid when it came to Days.
Full ratings for last week aren't out yet but Toups at SON said Days had a good week. Plus I think Days will get a nice bump in February from the Olympics. The show got a huge bump from the Summer Olympics in 2008.

Eric83
Member Avatar

Kevc1980
Jan 28 2010, 06:13 PM
Me too! That would be fantastic.

IMissAremid
Member Avatar
After all... tomorrow is another day!

I heard that apparently Martha Stewart is joining the ranks of Oprah in taking her show to cable TV.

Maybe Days and other soaps can be an unexpected beneficiary of the extra profitability of cable TV vs. networks as affiliates have less ratings grabbers to choose from in the syndication market.

Apparently there were hardly any new daytime syndication offerings at a big conference that just happened. The only big thing was some judge show with Nancy Grace.

AngelOB
Member Avatar
Life is awesome

Would love it if Days got renewed for at least 2 years. That would give me a good year before I'd have to worry again about it getting canceled .

AllmyDaysatGh
Member Avatar

I have faith that DAYS will be renewed, the show has been great and was the comeback story of 2009.

As for going HD, I am all for it. I hope the show considers that at some point this year.

Go DAYS.

Eric83
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Jan 28 2010, 02:13 PM
dc cubs
Does anyone know the status of that six month option for the current contract? The option said if Days met certain requirements the current contract would be extended until March, 2011. It was never publicly stated what those requirements were but it probably had to do with budget and ratings. Will that option get picked up and then the new contract starts after that option?
Once it gets picked up, the option kicks in in September 2010. The show should be notified anywhere between now and April about the option. My feeling was that NBC would let sweeps help them make the final decision but given how well the show has done, I would not be surprised if they let them know sooner. NBC doesn't need anymore bad PR and Days has gotten alot of buzz with what they've done so they may want to make themselves look good by announcing it sooner.

All I've heard about the requirements is Days needs to reach the top 3 in 18-49 and 18-34 regularly and maintain at least a 2.0 or better in HH regularly along with keeping it's budget in check to ensure a certain profit. I think there may be other factors too but those are the only ones I've ever heard about.
So are you saying that this possible renewal would take effect after the option/extension that was placed in their last renewal. Would this mean the multiple renewal would start in 2011, or will it start after September 2010?

sungrey

dc cubs
Jan 28 2010, 06:21 PM
sungrey
Jan 28 2010, 04:52 PM

Full ratings for last week aren't out yet but Toups at SON said Days had a good week. Plus I think Days will get a nice bump in February from the Olympics. The show got a huge bump from the Summer Olympics in 2008.
I saw they gained about 90,000 viewers last week just after I posted that. Bully for them!! :)

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

ga68153
Jan 29 2010, 08:24 AM
PhoenixRising05
Jan 28 2010, 02:13 PM
dc cubs

So are you saying that this possible renewal would take effect after the option/extension that was placed in their last renewal. Would this mean the multiple renewal would start in 2011, or will it start after September 2010?
So far, all I've heard is the one year option (which is an option that would kick in beginning in September 2010 and keep Days on NBC until September 2011) that NBC provided for Days if they fulfill certain requirements is pretty much certain to be picked up unless something drastic happens. Given Days' ratings, I can't see anything stopping this.

As far as renewing the show past the one year option, it would seem it will be a separate kind of deal/option where they have another year or two that would kick in after the one year option expires in September 2011 unless they renegotiate and just turn the proposed one year option into two years with an option for a third. There will be incentives involved though. I know for a fact Days would have to regularly keep itself over 2.0 and in the top 3 in 18-34 and 18-49 and the budget would have to continue to be under control. That is the only way NBC can be assured of a profit.

As I said, the only thing that I'm 99.9% (I would say 100% but this is NBC) sure about is Days getting that one year option picked up to keep them with NBC until September 2011. Yes, the possibility of a multiple year renewal of some kind is very real and is being discussed alot but I doubt it would be beyond a year or two on top of the one year option. I can't see NBC committing past three years to it. In fact, I have my doubts they will commit past an additional year on top of the one year option. Even Y&R only got a two year pickup from CBS so I can't see NBC going beyond that with Days. One or two years will be the standard pickups now for everyone in soaps so it will always be stressful going forward.

I hope that helps because it can be confusing LOL.

pspcindy
Member Avatar

ga68153
Jan 28 2010, 06:28 PM
Kevc1980
Me too! That would be fantastic.
Me three!

I dvr off SoapNet because the quality is so much better. The one drawback is the large network logo and the everlasting pop-up adverts for other programming.

As much as I miss many of the things about the old Days, I can see how the show has worked to keep itself viable. I would love to see a multiple year renewal.

desertgal

Kevc1980
Is this why there are black borders on either side of the screen because Days isn't filming in HD?

CapeSafe

desertgal
Feb 4 2010, 03:29 PM
Kevc1980
Is this why there are black borders on either side of the screen because Days isn't filming in HD?
That's the reason. I soooo wish it were in HD

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create your own social network with a free forum.
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply