Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Doctor Who
Topic Started: Feb 1 2010, 02:00 AM (6,235 Views)
Drew
Member Avatar
#bbuk

There's been some discussion of it in the movies thread, so I figured I'd start the thread.

I love the old series, definitely more than the new ones (tho I'm holding out hope for the upcoming 11th Doctor this year). I'm actually watching the Jon Pertwee story Inferno as I write this. I can never settle on which era I prefer the most, I usually fluctuate depending on mood. Having just come off a black & white era kick, I'm enjoying watching the UNIT stories of the Pertwee era. So, favourite Doctor, favourite villain, favourite monster, favourite story?

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Rick
Member Avatar
Dreamlander

I only recently started watching Doctor Who but so far 'The Ark in Space/Sontaran Experiment' (Which should have been one serial) Genesis of the Daleks and Brain of Morbius have been my favorites.

Drew
Member Avatar
#bbuk

I'm not as fond of The Sontaran Experiment. In only 2 episodes it feels like mostly filler and has very little connection to the Ark like it should. I hope they eventually get around to releasing the final part in that season long arc, Revenge of the Cybermen, soon. (They dont immediately return to the TARDIS upon using that ring at the end of Genesis).

Have you checked out Pyramids of Mars and Planet of Evil yet?

Rick
Member Avatar
Dreamlander

Just finished 'The Talons of Weng-Chiang' and have to say it's my favorite Baker serial yet.

Well acted, well written, intelligent, frightening and campy. Louise Jameson is awesome as the Zena-like female warrior. Especially being in proper Victorian era when women were seen as delicate, passive creatures. Of course it's a little politicaly incorrect but awesome none the less.

The normally bare boned budget sets and cheesy special effects are not obvious in this one. The show must have had a bigger budget for this story?

Drew
Member Avatar
#bbuk

Ah Talons, good story. The last of the Phillip Hinchcliffe horror era, moving to a more passive kid friendly Who. Damn Mary Whitehouse and her obsessive media watch groups.

I cant wait for you to get into the Pertwee and Troughton stuff.

Rick
Member Avatar
Dreamlander

Started the new series a few weeks ago and and I'm currently on Season 3

Just watched "Human Nature" and about to watch the second part. A ton of programs are available to stream instantly through Netflix via my Wii. Doctor Who, Torchwood, BSG, Sanctuary, Eureka, Sliders and Roswell to name a few. I've died and gone to Sci-Fi heaven.

Rick
Member Avatar
Dreamlander

I already thought statues were creepy, but now I am terrified of them. Do they appear in any more stories?

Drew
Member Avatar
#bbuk

The ones from Blink? Yes, in season 5.

Rick
Member Avatar
Dreamlander

Thanks Drew

Also have another question. I could google but I'm too lazy right now. Why is this Mr. Saxon trying to get info on the doctor from Martha's mum? It was last mentioned in "42" so is it just a dropped plot line or does it pick back up soon?

Drew
Member Avatar
#bbuk

I disliked Season 3 quite a bit. Particularly the end.

Drew
Member Avatar
#bbuk

I wont say. :lol:

Rick
Member Avatar
Dreamlander

So far season 3 has been hit and miss for me.

Gridlock was ok, for the fact I got to see the face of Boe one more time.

Evolution of the Daleks and Human Nature have been my favorites.

Didn't care for Smith & Jones, 42 or The Lazarus Experiment

Drew
Member Avatar
#bbuk

This was the year that cemented my Russell T. Davies hate. Over hyped, over produced stories with payoff that left you feeling lied to and cheated. Doomsday started it for me in a bad way ("this is the story of how I died").

I also hated Martha Jones with a passion. Love sick Rose wasnt enough, every companion now needs to throw herself shamelessly at the Doc?

Rick
Member Avatar
Dreamlander

Just finished the uneven season that was season three and was very underwhelmed. Hopefully Season four is better.

Captain Jack is The Face of Boe? :OhMy:

Goodbye Martha Jones, you will not be missed.

Okay if the TARDIS is indestructable how did the Titanic just smash it?

Drew
Member Avatar
#bbuk

Season 4 is just as uneven - maybe a bit better, however Donna Noble is the bright spot in the whole thing. I thought the Xmas special, season premiere and Sontaran two parter were especially horrendous. The Pompeii, Doctor's Daughter and Agatha Christie episodes were boring and throw aways. Moffatt's Library two parter, Midnight, and the final 3 I thought were good. The finale again suffers from unfulfilled promises that leave you feeling cheated, like the two before it did. By the end of season 4 I was so happy when RTD stepped down.

If you're going to watch the specials ... I wouldnt even bother with the Cybermen one and Planet of the Dead, both were awful and serve no purpose in the grand scheme of anything. The Waters of Mars was absolutely BRILLIANT, and then The End of Time was absolute utter SHITE but I suppose you still should see it for the end of 10.
Edited by Drew, Jun 29 2010, 01:14 AM.

Rick
Member Avatar
Dreamlander

After a whole season of Martha, I think I'll have a new apprecation for Donna lol

Drew
Member Avatar
#bbuk

Donna really was quite brilliant. After The Runaway Bride I wasnt looking forward to her, but she was such a breath of fresh air from the two love sick fools that came before her. Easily my favourite of the new companions ... until Amy Pond.

What were your thoughts on the season three finale? I was so put off by that ridiculous bit of the whole world calling out to the Doctor at once. Such a let down. And the future human bit (ugh, Utopia was such a waste of time).
Edited by Drew, Jun 29 2010, 01:16 AM.

Rick
Member Avatar
Dreamlander

Drew
Jun 29 2010, 01:15 AM
Donna really was quite brilliant. After The Runaway Bride I wasnt looking forward to her, but she was such a breath of fresh air from the two love sick fools that came before her. Easily my favourite of the new companions ... until Amy Pond.

What were your thoughts on the season three finale? I was so put off by that ridiculous bit of the whole world calling out to the Doctor at once. Such a let down. And the future human bit (ugh, Utopia was such a waste of time).
I have to agree that the finale was quite ridiculous, but I still enjoyed it.

What I hated was Martha coming on and insisting shes in love with the Doctor so quickly. I suppose the premise of falling for someone who is never going to look at you is realistic, but I found her quite annoying. The Scissor Sisters "I Can't Decide" playing while the master wheeled the doctor around was probably one of the cheesiest things I've ever seen on the show. The special effects of the 60's and 70's weren't even that cheesy.

I hated the new manifestation of the Master as well. Instead of a dark arch-nemesis, he became a tyrranical cartoon character trying to take over the world while singing songs.

Blink, Human Nature and The Family of Blood were the best of the season IMO

Drew
Member Avatar
#bbuk

wait till The End of Time ...

alphanguy
Member Avatar

I don't understand what posessed them to have "Season 1", "Season 2", etc... the show's been on for FORTY FIVE DAMN YEARS off and on... should this be season thiry-something?
Edited by alphanguy, Jul 13 2010, 12:23 AM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Fully Featured & Customizable Free Forums
Learn More · Register Now
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Retro TV Talk · Next Topic »
Add Reply