Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
TVGC Interview with Drake Hogestyn
Topic Started: Feb 3 2010, 03:35 PM (8,366 Views)
Ellie

http://tvguide.ca/Soaps/Features/Articles/100203_drake_hogestyn_NB.htm
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Alligato
Member Avatar

Wow! That was long, but I loved it!
Loved how he talked about how calming the Days theme is because it reminds you of being at home when you were young with your mom. I totally agree! I can remember being 5 and hearing that theme song.
Love the behind the scenes snippets he shared. So cool!

I miss you, Drake! Totally miss you! Hope you do well! Thanks for the interview!

Paxton
Member Avatar
Dreaming of a Melanie-free Days

Wow--I'm not finished reading the article yet but I was immediately struck by his comment that he offered to go back to his 1986 salary???!!! Wow.

Thanks for posting, Ellie!

Sindacco
Member Avatar

Wow, that was a great interview. But the last part just confirms what an ass JER was to John Aniston for speaking up.

Angie79
Member Avatar
Royal Reporter

Wow, long interview. Interesting and informative though.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

lysie
Member Avatar

I'm not even gonna hide it...I got a little teary at one point.

There's some good information in that interview. Wow.

Paxton
Member Avatar
Dreaming of a Melanie-free Days

Ok, I finished it now, and I don't even know where to start. That really was a very interesting interview--candid but without an air of sour grapes and informative without sounding like he was just gossiping with an agenda. I thought the part about how he sees the J & M chemistry in the fan montages was really sweet. Just a really good read all the way around.

dc cubs
Member Avatar

Great interview. I was never a big John fan but I always thought Drake was a good guy. He has a great attitude and it would be easy for him to be bitter but he's not. Drake is very appreciative of the time he got to spend on Days. I was shocked when he said he offered to go back to his 1986 salary.

I did notice on the question about rumors that Drake didn't get along with Corday and Hall that he only mentioned Corday. Not talking about Hall says it all without putting it into words.

So now we know why Aniston got the shaft from JER. Not surprising there.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

First, I just have to say this...

WELCOME BACK, DRAKE HOGESTYN!!

This is the Drake I loved as a person. Open, honest, genuine, down to earth...Drake was always a guy that you sensed was very approachable even through interviews in magazines. I didn't get that sense so much in his final few years on the show (2005-present). The most interesting part of the interview for me was when Nelson brought up Drake veering into method acting when he returned to Days and how he was in character all over, even in the makeup room. Drake apologized for that and that, to me, explained to me why he had been acting the way he had for so long. He had thrown himself completely into the character and it can be hard to dig yourself back out, especially if he is still on set when being interviewed. He also seemed to see the writing on the wall for soaps and himself long before he had a reason to, really. That really does help me to understand why he said many of the things he did in the way/tone he did.

The other interesting point for me was how he can see the chemistry and magic he and Dee had now. He always seemed to want to escape the John/Marlena pairing for a long time and maybe the reason why is he never saw what J&M fans saw. Now that he's detached, he does. That was pretty enlightening.

I couldn't believe he brought up John shaving right in the middle of the Maison Blanche story. I remember that. It was so weird at the time and I couldn't understand why on earth Stefano would want to shave John LOL. His comments indicate JER was on set back then. I still think a big reason JER's writing went downhill was him not being around set more. I know he wanted not to know the actors and all but it makes a difference.

I can't believe that John Aniston story. JER really did have a short fuse for that kind of thing. He did seem to not like JA, MA, and TP. I wonder what Matt and Thaoo did to get on his bad side. Drake seemed to indicate that breaking the actor/character line or questioning what JER wrote was what did it so I'm guessing Matt and Thaoo must have done something like that to get the treatment they did.

It seems Corday and him have buried the hatchet. That's nice to hear. This makes me think we could see Drake and Dee sometime down the road. He has a good attitude about everything. He gets it and the business. The show wanted a new direction. It did for awhile. No pay cut would've stopped that and J&M were the biggest thing standing in the way. I never doubted Drake and Dee would take a cut. I wasn't sure how big of a cut they would take but I knew they would. It just seemed like the show was ready to cut them and move into a new era. I do think it helps that it's a year later. I'm sure there was some anger with how it happened a year ago. It was nice to hear the reason why Drake and Dee kept mum during the exit and for so long. It was probably smart of Corday to ask them to keep things quiet as everything was rough enough. It does seem Drake and Dee got a little party or something outside the studio, which Drake seemed to say was alot of fun LOL.

I'm interested in the stuff he and his son are doing. Those game shows sound fun! Hope it works out for him.

Very good interview. I wish there was a little bit about John's other loves and maybe a bit more about the SSK and how it unfolded. It also feels like the interview was cut off at the end. Was was the stuff about JER possibly coming back to Days before his passing?

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

dc cubs
Feb 3 2010, 04:15 PM
I did notice on the question about rumors that Drake didn't get along with Corday and Hall that he only mentioned Corday. Not talking about Hall says it all without putting it into words.

I almost get the sense there may have been an issue (and maybe there still is) but that they are at a point where they respect each other and are able to work together. That is what it seemed like to me. He was very complimentary to her and even admitted her road on her "dresstails" so I don't think it's a bitter hatred or anything.

Sindacco
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
I can't believe that John Aniston story. JER really did have a short fuse for that kind of thing. He did seem to not like JA, MA, and TP. I wonder what Matt and Thaoo did to get on his bad side. Drake seemed to indicate that breaking the actor/character line or questioning what JER wrote was what did it so I'm guessing Matt and Thaoo must have done something like that to get the treatment they did.
I can. John Aniston, Thaao Penghlis, Matthew Ashford, notice a pattern here? And not just in the 90s but in 2003-2006 as well.

Jarlena4Eva
Member Avatar
Jarlena-Holic

Ah man....I miss him on my screen!! Both him and Marlena! As well as the show is doing right now, it's still not the same without John and Marlena.

Angie79
Member Avatar
Royal Reporter

dc cubs

I noticed that too, but two questions later when talking about working with Deidre he says they loved each other.

"Dee and I had so much chemistry. We loved each other, seriously. We both had each otherís back."
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Eric83
Member Avatar
"Relax nobody's having sex.... at least not yet"

Great interview! I loved it.

dc cubs
Member Avatar

Angie79
Feb 3 2010, 04:29 PM
dc cubs

I noticed that too, but two questions later when talking about working with Deidre he says they loved each other.

"Dee and I had so much chemistry. We loved each other, seriously. We both had each otherís back."
Maybe, I'm off base, but I think in the beginning and for quite a long time they had a great relationship. They did love working together. I just think that towards the end something may have happened to change things. I don't have any info but it's just a sense I get about it.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Sindacco
Feb 3 2010, 04:22 PM
PhoenixRising05
I can. John Aniston, Thaao Penghlis, Matthew Ashford, notice a pattern here? And not just in the 90s but in 2003-2006 as well.
Oh, I know. I just can't believe he turned on John because of something like that and the fact that he basically eliminated Victor as an active member of the canvas that quickly was pretty surprising to me. That's what stunned me. I know all about those he disliked.

JER lived in his own world. He knew the actors as their characters and it seems like anything that broke that divide angered him because it made it difficult to write for them after that. Hence why Drake felt it was smart to stay as close to character as possible when he was around back then.

Taelyn

OMG ... WOW ! I miss him soooooo much
Im so upset that Y&R didnt want him for Tucker, even though I LOVE SN and am glad he is there.

I know the problem is that they think evryone will stil see him as John Black.
But this man wants to work, I wish that some one would take advantage of his huge following.
I dont see him returning to DAYS ever because of obvious bad blood and Tomlin clearly does not like him, or perhaps want to write for him .. "what a fool".. But Id love to have a soap I could turn to and watch him daily. Id follow him anywhere..

GOD I Miss him.. If anyone knows of a fanclub, or official site or email please leave it here.

And thank thank thank you for this wonderful Interview.. If you speak with him again let him know his fans are still here and would love a way to contact him.
Edited by Taelyn, Feb 3 2010, 04:53 PM.

peaches179

Thanks Ellie! Nice interview.

Tammy
Member Avatar

That was an awesome interview! It's nice to know he's still around lmao.

I think that part about him finally recognizing what the fans saw in John and Marlena was very nice. Considering we J&M fans new that for a time there he wasn't all that interested in the paring of J&M lol.

hunterforrester
Member Avatar

I will forward Drake this thread on DR. It was such a pleasure to speak to him again. Especially out of character ó†LOL! I really meant it when I said he is a huge bookmark in my life. One for soaps and one for me as a person. And he's still sexy as hell. And SMART!

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply