Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
TVGC Interview with Drake Hogestyn
Topic Started: Feb 3 2010, 03:35 PM (8,279 Views)
DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

Great interview, Nelson! A lot of great insight. I miss Hogestyn!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

I was always wondering if Y&R approached Drake to play Tucker. They wanted a big name and Drake is a huge name but, perhaps they felt he would always be seen as John Black. SN actually left Days and had success with other roles so it's likely that was a big reason they went with someone like him over Drake.

Taelyn

I think Dee has no bad feelings for Drake, or visa versa.. aside from any stressful working relationship.
I believe I heard they had "something" before his marriage ( but it was just a rumor) but afterwards it was a friendship and respectful working relationship...
But I also know Dee also Loves seeing the Jarlena montages from her comments on facebook, and has confessed to getting emotional watching them.. So clearly if not before, even she see's what all Jarlena fans have always known about the amazing chemistry between them.
Edited by Taelyn, Feb 3 2010, 05:08 PM.

Sindacco
Member Avatar

Taelyn
Feb 3 2010, 04:41 PM
I know the problem is that they think evryone will stil see him as John Black.
But this man wants to work, I wish that some one would take advantage of his huge following.
I dont see him returning to DAYS ever because of obvious bad blood and Tomlin clearly does not like him.. But Id love to have a soap I could turn to and watch him daily..
But is it really "obvious bad blood"? I sure didn't see any while reading this.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

hunterforrester
Feb 3 2010, 04:47 PM
I will forward Drake this thread on DR. It was such a pleasure to speak to him again. Especially out of character ó†LOL! I really meant it when I said he is a huge bookmark in my life. One for soaps and one for me as a person. And he's still sexy as hell. And SMART!
You should tell him to feel free to post with us LOL.

I would love to hear more about him. He was so open about so many things. I would love his thoughts on some of John's other loves, Hogan's run, the whole two Roman's arc, etc.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Sindacco
Feb 3 2010, 04:51 PM
Taelyn
But this man wants to work, I wish that some one would take advantage of his huge following.
I dont see him returning to DAYS ever because of obvious bad blood and Tomlin clearly does not like him.. But Id love to have a soap I could turn to and watch him daily..
I didn't detect anything bad either. I'm sure Drake and Dee didn't like alot of how it ended but Drake noted that Gary and him had an open relationship and he even said that he felt Gary had no idea their exit was coming when he mentioned a big story coming for him. It didn't seem at all tense to me.

Angie79
Member Avatar
Royal Reporter

From SOD:

Drake Hogestyn: "Never Say Never" to DAYS Return
Drake Hogestyn, who sat down with Digest on the recent Soap Cruise, has no hard feelings toward DAYS, which released him from his contract after 23 years as John. "The Yankees fired me," he grins, "and I still root for the Yankees!" Would he consider a return to the show, even on a guest-star basis? "Never say never," he says. "DAYS gave me a great 23 years." In the meantime, Hogestyn is focused on the producing side of show biz, working on reality/game show ideas. In fact, a project he developed with son Ben (ex-Lucas, GH) was recently given a greenlight. "Itís an exciting time," he enthuses.

http://soapoperadigest.com/news/breaking/

hunterforrester
Member Avatar

Do u guys think if DAYS brought D&D back for even a short time that the ratings would spike again? Clearly, it's not about money if you read this interview and my interview with Dee a month ago. Could DAYS overtake B&B or Y&R if they brought back Jarlena and pushed it big time?

Taelyn

Sindacco
Taelyn
Maybe not, maybe its just business... But to just dispose of such a character as John Black, and brush of Drakes questions about the character change came from somewhere. Im not claiming it as fact, just my take on the information from the interview.

Taelyn

hunterforrester
Feb 3 2010, 04:58 PM
Do u guys think if DAYS brought D&D back for even a short time that the ratings would spike again? Clearly, it's not about money if you read this interview and my interview with Dee a month ago. Could DAYS overtake B&B or Y&R if they brought back Jarlena and pushed it big time?
Id turn on every tv in my house, ask my friends and family, and neighbors, and strangers to do the same .. hell Id petition a campaign for everyone to tune in LOL

Eric83
Member Avatar
"Relax nobody's having sex.... at least not yet"

hunterforrester
Yes, with the right amount of promotion on NBC's part.

Taelyn

PhoenixRising05
Feb 3 2010, 04:54 PM
Sindacco
Taelyn
I didn't detect anything bad either. I'm sure Drake and Dee didn't like alot of how it ended but Drake noted that Gary and him had an open relationship and he even said that he felt Gary had no idea their exit was coming when he mentioned a big story coming for him. It didn't seem at all tense to me.
"Bad blood" might have been a strong term, and it was mine and certainly Not Drakes.
And its been a YEAR .. so no doubt things have calmed down.. Im only stating my opinion of what wa said.
And while it took an entire year, Im so so so so so very glad to finally hear from Drake.

esp13
Member Avatar

hunterforrester
Not without a good story. The fact that the ratings didn't change when the DHs left shows that those characters were no longer driving the show. I think you'd get some initial interest if they were brought back, but it wouldn't make a damn bit of difference in the long run (and I mean anything over a few weeks) if the writing and the story isn't there for them. If it's a good story, people will follow it and it might bring some viewers back. If it's a short term "ratings grab" and then backburned or whatever, it won't make a bit of difference at all.

Ana75
Member Avatar

I loved that interview. I am shocked that he offered to go back to his 1986 salary. Just WOW!!

hunterforrester
Member Avatar

They both avoided my question about their reported feud. But I don't think there is any bad blood anymore, at the very least. I think their firing has made them see the bigger picture. And would probably love to see each other again!

Taelyn

PhoenixRising05
Feb 3 2010, 04:49 PM
I was always wondering if Y&R approached Drake to play Tucker. They wanted a big name and Drake is a huge name but, perhaps they felt he would always be seen as John Black. SN actually left Days and had success with other roles so it's likely that was a big reason they went with someone like him over Drake.
I was hopeful that they would when I heard of the part.. But I am very happy for Stephen N who I also love.

hunterforrester
Member Avatar

The thing is the writing is so much better now, so it would be cool to see what Gary and Chris do with Jarlena. Did you catch when Drake said, "a writer change," in the interview.....?

Eric83
Member Avatar
"Relax nobody's having sex.... at least not yet"

Did you also mean if they were brought back for a short-term story or just to come back in town? It would be nice to have a little 2 month story arc, and maybe give them some proper closure, but nothing long term.

Sindacco
Member Avatar

I would love to see him back even if it was just short-term. And I think there are more storyline potentials now than when he left with Vivian being back and all, and for all we know Lawrence might still be alive.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

hunterforrester
Maybe a little but not much.

The audience Days has cashed in on seems like a combination of new audience/lapsed soap viewers who move from show to show depending on enjoyment. Days has managed to attract those viewers and keep them. I don't think the bulk of those viewers care enough and, considering Days' numbers didn't seem to be doing very well in the last days of J&M (I mean, John's resurrection did nothing for the ratings...it took a plane crash to get big results), I wouldn't expect Days to get much of an increase at all from their return.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply