Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
TV Guide interview with Suzanne Rogers
Topic Started: Feb 8 2010, 10:21 AM (3,775 Views)
Ellie

http://www.tvguidemagazine.com/soaps/suzanne-rogers-is-salems-ultimate-survivor-3994.html

Suzanne Rogers is Salem's Ultimate Survivor
by Michael Logan February 08, 2010

Suzanne Rogers is about to get a story line on Days of Our Lives that hits close to home. Maybe too close. Come March, her character, Maggie Horton, will be diagnosed with myasthenia gravis, a treatable but incurable neuromuscular disease that Rogers—a former Radio City Rockette—contracted in real life back in the mid-1980s. At the time, Days also gave the disease to Maggie to explain Rogers’ shocking appearance, which included considerable weight gain and facial bloating due to her medication. Rogers has been in remission for several years. The same goes for Maggie—until now. TV Guide Magazine spoke with the Emmy-winning Rogers about this surprising development.

It was you who pushed to have Maggie diagnosed with MG the first time. How do you feel about this second go-round?
When I heard they were bringing back Maggie’s myasthenia I was very hesitant because it’s an aspect of my life I don’t like revisiting. Of course, I’m thankful for the work, and for the opportunity to get the message out once again. But there’s a part of me that’s very nervous about this. Of course, they’re dealing with it in a different way this time. Before, Days decided to deal with it because I was dealing with it, and I looked very different from the neck up. This time, Maggie will be affected in the arms and the limbs. That’s another way people can get MG, or you can get it all over from head to foot. It’s a crapshoot as to what you get. I was lucky that the kind I got was not a degenerative one. Thank God.

Stress is considered one of the triggers of MG, right?
Oh, yes. And, Lord knows, Maggie’s had a lot of that recently! Her husband, Mickey, suddenly died. Her beloved Melanie [is about to] get shot. It’s been more than she can take. But I think—I hope!—she’s going to pull through this newest crisis. She always does. Stress is what brought it on for me. It came at a time when I was over 35 and dealing with that whole age stigma. Days was turning away those of us who’d been on the show for a while, and focusing on the new and the young. I was also going through a divorce at the time. Too much stress!

Is this recurrence of Maggie’s MG a good idea? You’ve become so vital on the show recently. This sounds like it could bring that to a halt.
Notoriously, the audience does not like [to watch] illness. I’m not sure where this is headed. I had a little talk with [Days exec producer] Gary Tomlin and he told me this is not going to be a myasthenia gravis storyline, per se. Maggie will be having symptoms that come and go.

Then what’s the point of this, dramatically speaking?
I think it’s basically so that Melanie and Philip will move back into the house with Maggie, which keeps her involved in their lives and vice versa. The kids don’t want Maggie to be by herself. I guess it’ll help her get through this first year of widowhood. I’m just surmising.

Does this mean Mel and Philip’s toxic in-laws will be showing up at Maggie’s house? The last thing you need when you’re trying to avoid stress is a visit from that nutburger Vivian [Louise Sorel]!
[Laughs] And you just know she’ll be dropping by! She thinks Philip is all hers.

Are you concerned about leaving this MG plot at work?
I can’t allow myself to take it home. That would just be too painful. I’m going to have to be an actress about it. It’ll help that the new symptoms are different from mine. It’ll be like playing an alcoholic when you’re not one.

You’ve been in remission since 1995. How often do you even think about MG these days?
Well, it’s always there but I don’t mention it much anymore. I don’t think about it every day anymore. When I see someone on TV being diagnosed with something, it pops back into my mind. And I’m always looking for outlets to help me deal with stress—cooking or exercising, playing with the animals or taking my mom out shopping. Anything to get beyond the stress and not let it fester. And you’ve known me a long time. I’m very religious. I prayed a lot when I got this disease. And I had a lot of people praying for me, as well. That’s not to say that’s what helped me through it, but my believing that it was going to help did help.

There are some fascinating studies being done on the power of prayer—in fact, the success statistics are throwing scientists for a loop. It would be interesting if Days took a spiritual route with this story. God tends to be off-limits on the soaps except for when you need to deliver a big dramatic monologue in the hospital chapel when somebody’s dying.
When I first got the symptoms, I went to eight or nine doctors and no one knew what I had. They’d say it’s not this, it’s not that. But what is it? I went to church and got up in the first pew—it was a weekday, nobody else was there—and I knelt down and said, “Please put a name on it, God, so that they can work on it, or cure it, or give me pills for it. Please name it.” I made promises to God that day, and to this day I still keep those promises. I think that’s how we have to do things. How rude of us to think we do these things all by ourselves, you know? [Laughs] Well, that’s my little bag o’ wind for today!

Let’s clear up a couple of things. What was the point of having Mickey drop dead?
I was stunned by that decision. They didn’t want to recast the role, so they needed to tie up that loose end. In the scripts, we kept talking about Mickey being out of town, or being in trial. He was always somewhere else. The audience that’s watched us a while knew who Mickey was, but the new viewers didn’t know who the devil we were talking about. It was hard, because John Clarke [the original Mickey] is still very much alive and well. I called him and said “I hope I do you proud.” There was one good thing about it—we could use those great old Mickey-and-Maggie flashbacks, because in later years when they recast the role with John Ingle, and then Kevin Dobson, we couldn’t go back and use any of my scenes with John. By removing the character from the page, we were able to go into the archives and pull out some really glorious stuff.

And what’s up with Maggie’s near-return to boozing? For a few episodes there, it looked like she was so torn up about Mickey’s death that she was heading back to the bottle. Then the story was abruptly aborted.
I think they might have gone ahead with it if they’d kept Lucas [Bryan Dattilo] around. Maggie was his AA sponsor, so it would have been a great story for him to have to pull himself out of all his Lucas craziness and help her for a change. At least, I thought that’s where the story was going, and then all of a sudden it wasn’t. You kind of learn to go with the punches.

It’s been so gratifying to see Maggie become the go-to gal when the young ones in Salem need some good common sense.
Isn’t it wonderful? I’m suddenly the woman in the shoe—I have so many children I don’t know what to do! Please notice that I didn’t put the “old” in there! The first time Nathan called me “Grandma” on the show I went, “Whaaat? That can’t be!” [Laughs] But then I realized he was right. I think Maggie and Lucas had a great dynamic. He needed someone to read him the riot act. Nobody had ever done that! Hell-ooo… we need more of that on the show! Right from wrong. Soaps used to care about that sort of thing.

To what do you credit your survival on Days? Not only did you escape the big purge of veterans in 2008, the writers have been showcasing you like crazy for the last year.
I never thought I’d still be here when Deidre Hall [Marlena] and Drake Hogestyn [John] and Mary Beth Evans [Kayla] and Stephen Nichols [Patch] are all gone! I was shocked by that. And it was the biggest surprise that they found me again because I’d always been here, lurking in the background. Gary Tomlin came in as producer and immediately said, “Why aren’t you working?” Now I feel like we’ve turned back the clock 30 years and I’m wanted again! I don’t know how this happened, but isn’t it lovely? You know, when you don’t work and use your gift for a while, you wonder, gee, is it still there? Do I still have it? Can I still tap into it? You can’t help but have that fear, but I’m glad to say it all came back. [Laughs] I can’t kick as high as I used to, but I can still kick butt!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

lysie
Member Avatar

What an interesting interview. She seems uncomfortable with this. Is it me or have all of the actors seemed uncomfortable with their stories lately?

Thanks, Ellie!

Days4Life

I just love her. I'll watch her in any storyline and, although I know a lot of people are going to say this isn't her story but Phelanie propping, at least she's a vet that's actually working and I really didn't want her to start drinking. It's silly, but I feel like she's MY Aunt Maggie, and I didn't want her to have to go through that.

Paxton
Member Avatar
Dreaming of a Melanie-free Days

Ellie
Feb 8 2010, 10:21 AM
http://www.tvguidemagazine.com/soaps/suzanne-rogers-is-salems-ultimate-survivor-3994.html

Is this recurrence of Maggie’s MG a good idea? You’ve become so vital on the show recently. This sounds like it could bring that to a halt.
Notoriously, the audience does not like [to watch] illness. I’m not sure where this is headed. I had a little talk with [Days exec producer] Gary Tomlin and he told me this is not going to be a myasthenia gravis storyline, per se. Maggie will be having symptoms that come and go.

Then what’s the point of this, dramatically speaking?
I think it’s basically so that Melanie and Philip will move back into the house with Maggie, which keeps her involved in their lives and vice versa. The kids don’t want Maggie to be by herself. I guess it’ll help her get through this first year of widowhood. I’m just surmising.
I'm sorry, but this seems ridiculous to me. I'm so sick of Melanie and the last thing I want to see is Maggie's life being all about Melanie. Maybe it won't turn out like that but I'm not holding my breath. I wish I could see whatever it is TPTB see in Molly Burnett because that would certainly make watching the show tolerable, not that I'm watching it at the moment anyway.

lysie, yes, it did seem like Suzanne was uncomfortable.

Good interview overall, though, with some decent questions--thanks for posting, Ellie!

peaches179

Paxton
Feb 8 2010, 10:45 AM

I'm sorry, but this seems ridiculous to me. I'm so sick of Melanie and the last thing I want to see is Maggie's life being all about Melanie. Maybe it won't turn out like that but I'm not holding my breath. I wish I could see whatever it is TPTB see in Molly Burnett because that would certainly make watching the show tolerable, not that I'm watching it at the moment anyway.

lysie, yes, it did seem like Suzanne was uncomfortable.

Good interview overall, though, with some decent questions--thanks for posting, Ellie!

ITA. The character is annoying.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Of course she is uncomfortable! They are telling a story that hits close to home for her. She's clearly tried to keep it out of her mind and is uneasy about this. Can't blame her.

I don't mind them doing this because it makes sense. It is brought on by stress and she's going through a great deal of it. However, I don't get Philip and Melanie moving in. Why not Nathan? Plus, Mia is still there. Unless this is setting up Philip and Melanie moving in temporarily while Nathan is there too and then we have tension with Mel and Nathan. That could be it.

I'm not sure the alcoholism story is something that got dropped just because of Bryan Dattilo. They didn't even play him during Maggie's temptation. I'm not sure it got dropped at all. I always felt they would toy with it and wait a little bit until they want to use it as there is alot going on right now. Suzanne didn't seem to know what was coming really and seemed to be guessing based on the questions so I will wait to see what happens before getting upset. Given they dug back into history for this MG arc, I'm would be shocked if they didn't go the alcoholism route at some point. If they don't, maybe it's a good thing. Some of the response in the mags and elsewhere didn't seem on board with it (or Mickey's death) but it did seem more people were supportive on both ends then not.

The other thing too is Maggie is supposed to be the new matriarch. The moral center, if you will. Now, they had no idea what would happen to poor Frances (although I'm sure they knew she wasn't doing well) but, if they don't go ahead with the alcoholism story, it may not be the worst thing. It's hard for Maggie to be dispensing advice and being the matriarch if she is drunk as hell for months and ends up doing something to hurt someone. It's a difficult balance.
Edited by PhoenixRising05, Feb 8 2010, 11:27 AM.

IMissAremid
Member Avatar
After all... tomorrow is another day!

lysie
Feb 8 2010, 10:32 AM
What an interesting interview. She seems uncomfortable with this. Is it me or have all of the actors seemed uncomfortable with their stories lately?

Thanks, Ellie!
I love Suzanne Rogers. Too bad she can't be in charge of this soap instead of GT. She really gets it.

And I agree that it seems like most of the characters are struggling to understand exactly what the point of their storylines are or what their motivations are.

Well except GG. :drunk:

Ellie

PhoenixRising05
Feb 8 2010, 11:23 AM
Of course she is uncomfortable! They are telling a story that hits close to home for her. She's clearly tried to keep it out of her mind and is uneasy about this. Can't blame her.
But why does the show have to do that? I find it incredibly disrespectful of them. Suzanne's illness is in remission, so now the writers decide to have Maggie again show symptoms? And, Suzanne was "surmising" that it had to do with Philip and Melanie. I can read between the lines there... I don't think she's thrilled to have to bring up a very sad and uncomfortable element of her own past just for the sake of advancing a shallow plotline.

lysie
Member Avatar

Ellie
Feb 8 2010, 11:42 AM
PhoenixRising05
But why does the show have to do that? I find it incredibly disrespectful of them. Suzanne's illness is in remission, so now the writers decide to have Maggie again show symptoms? And, Suzanne was "surmising" that it had to do with Philip and Melanie. I can read between the lines there... I don't think she's thrilled to have to bring up a very sad and uncomfortable element of her own past just for the sake of advancing a shallow plotline.

Exactly! I just don't understand why they do stuff like this. It wouldn't be the first time by any means, but reading her reaction makes me a little more irritated about it. It just seems so insensitive, and really pretty pointless considering it's not even going to be a huge story.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Ellie
PhoenixRising05

They don't have to but there is no way they would go through with it if she said no. They had to ask her and, if she didn't refuse, then that is on her. I feel bad for her too but they would've probably not went through with it if she refused given it's a personal issue.

I felt Suzanne was just unsure about everything but, then again she's unsure in most of her interviews. She doesn't seem like the type of actor/actress to push to know about what is coming. She waits to be informed.

Yes, she seems uneasy but I don't think she's upset with the show. I think she's worried about how she is going to deal with the story and if it will be portrayed as it should on her end and the show's end. She's a professional. She wants to do right by this and I felt she wasn't sure if she could handle it this time around given she's been in remission for so long and I think the whole Philip/Melanie aspect makes her rather unsure about how the show is handling this. Maybe she feels it's nothing but a plot point for Philip and Melanie. It probably is and I can't blame her for seeing a problem in that. On one hand, she's probably happy because the kids (Melanie and Mia) are still close and this means she will still get decent airtime. On the other hand, she feels they may not be handling a story about an illness she has right. I don't think her issues are with the illness story but, rather, the approach. I think she's just being cautious. She is just surmising so who knows.
Edited by PhoenixRising05, Feb 8 2010, 12:06 PM.

Sariah
Member Avatar

I'm sure they're moving in with Maggie to put Melanie and Nathan in close quarters - how else would they interact on a daily basis?

Which says to me they're relegating Philip to the background to put Melanie front and center with her conflicted feelings for Nathan. Blech.

sungrey

PhoenixRising05

I don't mind them doing this because it makes sense. It is brought on by stress and she's going through a great deal of it. However, I don't get Philip and Melanie moving in. Why not Nathan? Plus, Mia is still there. Unless this is setting up Philip and Melanie moving in temporarily while Nathan is there too and then we have tension with Mel and Nathan. That could be it.

I'm not sure the alcoholism story is something that got dropped just because of Bryan Dattilo. They didn't even play him during Maggie's temptation. I'm not sure it got dropped at all. I always felt they would toy with it and wait a little bit until they want to use it as there is alot going on right now. Suzanne didn't seem to know what was coming really and seemed to be guessing based on the questions so I will wait to see what happens before getting upset. Given they dug back into history for this MG arc, I'm would be shocked if they didn't go the alcoholism route at some point. If they don't, maybe it's a good thing. Some of the response in the mags and elsewhere didn't seem on board with it (or Mickey's death) but it did seem more people were supportive on both ends then not.

The other thing too is Maggie is supposed to be the new matriarch. The moral center, if you will. Now, they had no idea what would happen to poor Frances (although I'm sure they knew she wasn't doing well) but, if they don't go ahead with the alcoholism story, it may not be the worst thing. It's hard for Maggie to be dispensing advice and being the matriarch if she is drunk as hell for months and ends up doing something to hurt someone. It's a difficult balance.
I think GT dropped the ball here. I would have played the alcohol because losing a husband is definitely something that would trigger this. It's almost like they're afraid to play a story like that -- why?

That said, I think the MG story will work well IF THEY LET IT PLAY.

You don't have to draw the stories out for a couple years (oh hi Sydney!), but don't rush through the stories either. Execs think the stories have to be fast paced or the audience will lose interest. They will watch if it's a compelling plotline.

lysie
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Feb 8 2010, 12:04 PM
Ellie
PhoenixRising05

They don't have to but there is no way they would go through with it if she said no. They had to ask her and, if she didn't refuse, then that is on her. I feel bad for her too but they would've probably not went through with it if she refused given it's a personal issue.

I felt Suzanne was just unsure about everything but, then again she's unsure in most of her interviews. She doesn't seem like the type of actor/actress to push to know about what is coming. She waits to be informed.

Yes, she seems uneasy but I don't think she's upset with the show. I think she's worried about how she is going to deal with the story and if it will be portrayed as it should on her end and the show's end. She's a professional. She wants to do right by this and I felt she wasn't sure if she could handle it this time around given she's been in remission for so long and I think the whole Philip/Melanie aspect makes her rather unsure about how the show is handling this. Maybe she feels it's nothing but a plot point for Philip and Melanie. It probably is and I can't blame her for seeing a problem in that. On one hand, she's probably happy because the kids (Melanie and Mia) are still close and this means she will still get decent airtime. On the other hand, she feels they may not be handling a story about an illness she has right. I don't think her issues are with the illness story but, rather, the approach. I think she's just being cautious. She is just surmising so who knows.
Like she's gonna say no! She made it pretty clear she's happy/relieved to be working.

Ellie

PhoenixRising05
It doesn't say in the interview they asked her, and phrases like, "When I heard they were bringing back Maggie’s myasthenia", or, "I had a little talk with Gary Tomlin" do not imply that the show approached her first. Based on what they've done in the past, I'd guess they didn't ask her permission at all. And if she'd said she wouldn't do it, I bet her increased screentime would be a thing of the past.

peaches179

lysie
Feb 8 2010, 12:14 PM
PhoenixRising05
Ellie
PhoenixRising05

Like she's gonna say no! She made it pretty clear she's happy/relieved to be working.

Thank you!!

dc cubs
Member Avatar

I'm disappointed Days isn't going the alcoholism route with Maggie. However, as Tim said that if Maggie is seen as the moral center of the show its not good to have her go on a big bender.

I can understand Roger's hesitancy in the story. I give her props for doing this when it is such a personal matter to her. I do hope it is treated as more than just a plot point to bring Melanie and Phillip into her house.

I'm sure Suzanne will do very well in this story.

Paxton
Member Avatar
Dreaming of a Melanie-free Days

Ellie
Feb 8 2010, 12:16 PM
PhoenixRising05
It doesn't say in the interview they asked her, and phrases like, "When I heard they were bringing back Maggie’s myasthenia", or, "I had a little talk with Gary Tomlin" do not imply that the show approached her first. Based on what they've done in the past, I'd guess they didn't ask her permission at all. And if she'd said she wouldn't do it, I bet her increased screentime would be a thing of the past.

Exactly. It doesn't sound at all to me like they approached her first, and if I were her I'd be resentful that my real-life condition was being used as a plot point to likely further Melanie and Nathan and not as my story. No matter how much she loves Molly Burnett, and though I don't understand why I can see that Suzanne does, her condition being used for plot point purposes has to be irritating.

TINA222
Member Avatar

It sounds like its just a plot point to get Melanie and Phillip in her house. They arent going to take it any more seriously than Kate's cancer. I guess they dropped that rumored storyline about her getting drunk and hurting someone while driving. Hmmm. That would have been more interesting to be honest. At least it would have been character driven instead of plot driven. :rolleyes:

lysie
Member Avatar

TINA222
Feb 8 2010, 12:55 PM
It sounds like its just a plot point to get Melanie and Phillip in her house. They arent going to take it any more seriously than Kate's cancer. I guess they dropped that rumored storyline about her getting drunk and hurting someone while driving. Hmmm. That would have been more interesting to be honest. At least it would have been character driven instead of plot driven. :rolleyes:
I'm glad that they dropped that or that it turned out to be just a rumor. Way too remiscent of Chelsea/Zack, and since the rumor involved Sami's brood I know I wasn't interested in watching more of the same crap with a different kid.

peaches179

TINA222
Feb 8 2010, 12:55 PM
They arent going to take it any more seriously than Kate's cancer.

That's what I'm afraid of. :shame:

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply