Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
TV Guide interview with Suzanne Rogers
Topic Started: Feb 8 2010, 10:21 AM (3,811 Views)
Keith
Member Avatar

All the talk about Maggie being the matriarch- its not like the show has written Alice out at this point. There were also storylines with Alice were she was hardly perfect and her and Tom clashed a lot about stuff she did in the 80's. I see no reason whatsoever that Maggie can't be imperfect in this different way and, eventually, fall off the wagon. I think between Mickey's death, coming out of remission, possibly topped off with Alice's passing, she could very well turn to drinking again. And that's the way I want to see it happen. Will it? Doubtful, but I hardly think the reason will be because she needs to be a perfect matriarch, which even Alice wasn't until the 90s.
Edited by Keith, Feb 9 2010, 07:29 AM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Keith
Feb 9 2010, 07:29 AM
All the talk about Maggie being the matriarch- its not like the show has written Alice out at this point. There were also storylines with Alice were she was hardly perfect and her and Tom clashed a lot about stuff she did in the 80's. I see no reason whatsoever that Maggie can't be imperfect in this different way and, eventually, fall off the wagon. I think between Mickey's death, coming out of remission, possibly topped off with Alice's passing, she could very well turn to drinking again. And that's the way I want to see it happen. Will it? Doubtful, but I hardly think the reason will be because she needs to be a perfect matriarch, which even Alice wasn't until the 90s.
They haven't written Alice out but they've spent a year setting up Maggie to be the matriarch and any new viewers who have tuned in would think of her in that role. Maggie doesn't have to be perfect but nothing Alice did took her out of the mode of the matriarch. She was involved in capers and legal issues at times as a result. She was involved in the action and she whatever it took to help her friends and family. That isn't really the same thing as falling off the wagon and being drunk and withdrawn. That would take Maggie out of that role. She wouldn't be in a position to be there for loved ones.

I'm not saying don't do it. They just need to be a bit more careful. I just want them to hold off until after they pay tribute to Alice. I don't want Maggie being a drunk taking focus away from Alice. That wouldn't be right IMO.

As you said, coming on the heels of Mickey and her illness returning, Alice's death could really push Maggie toward the bottle. I wouldn't mind seeing it after the show pays tribute to Alice. They would have to be careful IMO but I, personally, wouldn't have a problem with it.
Edited by PhoenixRising05, Feb 9 2010, 01:01 PM.

sungrey

Outing alert... I'm beginning to think Phoenix is either Gary Tomlin or Ken Corday. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

All right... while I have defended this writing team because it has an idea of what it's doing, some of the choices that have been made don't really make sense when it comes to long-term plotting. I think of Linda Dano on Another World. Granted, John Aprea chose to leave the show so they killed off Felicia's husband Lucas by having him get shot. The end result? Dano had a strong alcoholism story that culminated with a harrowing intervention and Dano won the damn Emmy. It was painful to watch a character everyone loved descend into madness. The story choice worked, in spades.

Sometimes I wish shows would take chances. Maggie as an alcoholic would have been perfectly acceptable given the circumstances. We'll see how she handles the MG.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

LOL Sungrey. I wish I was. That would mean I was living out in sunny LA making more money then I do.

I don't think it's about taking chances. I think it has more to do with too much going on already on the canvas and trying to line things up just right. They may have wanted to wait until a little later but now, with Frances, I have a feeling they are glad they did because I can't see Corday wanting Maggie involved in a alcoholism story at the time they deal with Alice's death.
Edited by PhoenixRising05, Feb 9 2010, 01:21 PM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply