Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Molly Burnett on the Loves of Melanie; Sony interview
Topic Started: Feb 9 2010, 06:59 PM (3,720 Views)
Angie79
Member Avatar
Royal Reporter

The Wedding Belle: Molly Burnett on the Loves of Melanie

Melanie has gone through a lot lately. Her tumultuous relationship with Nathan and her continued attraction to him. Her even more tumultuous relationship with Philip, whom she really does love, has led to an engagement and an upcoming wedding ceremony. Whether or not she makes it to the altar remains to be seen. "Melanie loves Philip," Molly told us, "but it's probably a little fast. Part of it might be because Melanie is so mature. She has such an old soul that she probably thinks that getting married is the next thing to do, even though in reality she should probably just chill out and live her life a little bit." Of course, Molly continued, "she'll go back to Philip until the day she dies, probably, if it weren't to work out. There's just something that doesn't quite fit."

What, we wondered, is that thing that "doesn't quite fit"? Part of it, as she said, comes from the fact that he did choose Stephanie. After all, what girl wants to see the man she is desperately in love with go for another girl? "There's just that part of her that was really hurt by him," Molly told us. "I don't know how to totally explain it. When Philip absolutely would not have anything to do with her, she found Nathan. She fell for Nathan. And Nathan wanted her to be something that she couldn't quite be. Kind of like Stephanie wanted Philip to be something that he couldn't quite be? So he went with Melanie and they love each other for who they are but there's just something that's just not quite right. Unfortunately." Which is, as she explained, why "the wedding can't just be a done deal." Will Melanie make it to the altar, or is Molly more worried about what might happen when (and if) the ceremony takes place?

One person who can hardly wait for the wedding – even more than either the bride or groom – is Vivian, who has made big plans around the ceremony, and has been another sort of thorn in Melanie's side of late. "Melanie is torn because she likes Vivian but she doesn't really trust her," Molly said, "so she tries to find the middle ground between how far she can trust Vivian and how much of her is just kind of loony! Is that just who she is or is there an ulterior motive?" Smart girl, that Melanie, to have figured out that, yes, in fact, Vivian does have an ulterior motive. After all, when does Vivian not have an ulterior motive?

"The cool thing," Molly continued, "is Louise played it – Louise is so talented and so amazing – in such a fun way that you can see it hurting her to hurt Melanie. Because Vivian and Melanie do get along and we have some really sweet moments and you get to see that. That comes across on the screen. So that makes all the things she has to do to get back at Carly even more heartbreaking."

Speaking of Carly … How is Melanie feeling about her? "Melanie is still on her toes about Carly," Molly told us, "but she gets a motherly vibe from her and that's one of the big reasons she hasn't let herself like her. Because Melanie has grown up without a mother, assuming that she does not need one, even though she does just as everyone needs a mom. I think she finally lets that feeling that she has go."

That sounds like things could get ugly when – as is bound to happen - Melanie learns the truth. "Oh, my God, yeah!" Molly exclaimed. "Not only did she have this weird feeling about this woman, but you have to remember, Melanie's childhood and all the things that happened. Melanie isn't going to understand for a long time why Carly did what she did. That it was to save her. Because she's young and because she's immature and because she's impulsive and a bit of a drama queen she's just going to remember 'this is what I had to grow up with because of you.' Crystal's done a phenomenal job. These are going to be some seriously cool scenes."

We have those scenes to look forward to, when Melanie learns the truth about Carly. But what about the earlier scenes in which Melanie was already treating her mother so poorly? Melanie told us how Executive Producer Gary Tomlin revealed the truth to her. "I remember there was one scene where I was with Carly and I'm yelling at her," Molly told us. "And I said 'I'm sorry, but why am I being so mean to her?' And he comes up to me and he whispers in my ear, 'you're mean to her because she's your mom.' And I'm like, what?! So he's really good at being secretive. Because had I known she was my mom filming some of the scenes beforehand, it might have shown. I might have anticipated the plot or whatever. He's just so particular in when he tells you the information and how he tells you the information and makes sure not to tell you too much information so that it hurts your choices as an actor. He's just phenomenal."

We all know who Melanie's mother is, but what about her father? Molly teased us with a little – a very little – information. "It's kind of unexpected," Molly teased. "The father has done a phenomenal job. And it's super-unexpected and what's cool is that the writers have done such a good job of making it come out of nowhere and be really kind of interesting to watch. You genuinely want to see what happens. I know that because as an actor, every time I would have a script downstairs I would be so excited to read it because I wanted to know what was going to happen!"

We can't wait to see what happens, either, as this story continues with its unexpected twists and turns.

http://www.sonypictures.com/tv/shows/daysofourlives/specials/interviews_detail_4317.html
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Mason
Member Avatar

Angie79
Feb 9 2010, 06:59 PM
"Melanie loves Philip," Molly told us, "but it's probably a little fast. Part of it might be because Melanie is so mature."
Melanie? Mature? Are we talking about the same character here?

Molly, if you really want me to buy Philip and Melanie's "mature" relationship, I would advise you to start by not playing Melanie like she's a toddler.
Edited by Mason, Feb 9 2010, 07:03 PM.

King
Member Avatar

I love Molly Burnett and the DAYS of Melanie's lives!

She is a great character

esp13
Member Avatar

Angie79
Part of it might be because Melanie is so mature. She has such an old soul that she probably thinks that getting married is the next thing to do, even though in reality she should probably just chill out and live her life a little bit."

Because she's young and because she's immature and because she's impulsive and a bit of a drama queen she's just going to remember 'this is what I had to grow up with because of you.'

So Melanie is so mature and an old soul, but she's really young and immature and impulsive. Huh? Pick a story and stick to it. Personally, I'm going with option number 2.

Also, Molly clearly isn't seeing a Nathan/Melanie love story in any of this. Interesting.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

Mason
Feb 9 2010, 07:00 PM
Angie79
"Melanie loves Philip," Molly told us, "but it's probably a little fast. Part of it might be because Melanie is so mature."
Melanie? Mature? Are we talking about the same character here?

Molly, if you really want me to buy Philip and Melanie's "mature" relationship, I would advise you to start by not playing Melanie like she's a toddler.
To paraphrase Forrest Gump "Mature is as mature does", I guess. Although...... LOL. If she thinks Melanie is mature, what the heck does she consider immature behavior?
Also, I'd hardly call her relationship with Nathan "tumultous". And, didn't she dump HIM?
OK, so if Daniel's not the father, then it's Victor. :P

Now, to be fair, Melanie does have her moments when she mutes it down a few notches. The past couple of days were not those moments. But, then again, I can only take Melanie Griffith in small doses. She just might not be able to help the voice thing. I heard Melissa Gilbert on the radio promoting "This Old House The Musical", and I swear she sounds the same she did when she was 12.

I guess the Betty Boops of the world can't help it.

Kenny
Member Avatar

LoL @ Molly calling Melanie "mature." :lol:

The identity of Melanie's father is unexpected? Doubt it. (Clearly it's Daniel.) Maybe it was unexpected to Molly because she only reads her parts of the scripts, but to anyone who watched the Carly/Daniel scenes, I think the truth was pretty obvious.

I hate that we're gonna be going right back to Melanie hating Carly. It wouldn't bother me so much if it didn't seem so contrived the first go 'round, but by this point it feels like "been there, done that." It's such an expected route. So predictable. And thus... boring.

I also hate that Vivian shows remorse for trying to kill Melanie. The fact that the writers have even bothered to build this weird connection between Vivian and Melanie pisses me off. Melanie is the type of character that Vivian should be severely annoyed with -- not charmed by.

Kenny
Member Avatar

Mason
A-fucking-men!

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

I agree King. Love her.

I like that Vivian is showing remorse. She's human. Vivian is loony and eccentric and so is Melanie. I don't want Vivian to be batshit crazy. This is a bit more layered and makes her human and interesting.

I enjoyed the little bit about Tomlin too.
Edited by PhoenixRising05, Feb 9 2010, 07:44 PM.

Kenny
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Feb 9 2010, 07:43 PM
I like that Vivian is showing remorse.
Not me. I WANT her to WANT Melanie dead just as much as I do, LoL. This little "connection" between them is contrived. If it were anyone else (not including Mia) I wouldn't mind if Vivian showed remorse, but Melanie is one character that no one should feel sorry for offing.

Mason
Member Avatar

Kenny
Feb 9 2010, 07:55 PM
PhoenixRising05
Not me. I WANT her to WANT Melanie dead just as much as I do, LoL. This little "connection" between them is contrived. If it were anyone else (not including Mia) I wouldn't mind if Vivian showed remorse, but Melanie is one character that no one should feel sorry for offing.
I hate it, too. For God's sake, we even have the woman who's trying to KILL Melanie simultaneously propping her. It's stupid. I just about gagged when Vivian said that Melanie reminded her of herself.

King
Member Avatar

Disagree. Love their relationship!

Harmony233

I don't mind Melanie although I think she should be in the teens.Not really looking forward to Melanie blaming Carly for her terrible childhood though even though thats more dramtic.I really don't get what the heck viv thinks mel reminds her of herself though.Vivian never liked them naive girls.Vivian liked to scheme.One of the reasons she never liked Carly was because she didn't want Lawrence to go on the straight and narrow.She wanted him to be evil with her.LOL

mer4santo
Member Avatar

Mature? Old soul? BWAH!!!!!

Every time I see her she regresses a tiny bit more. Perhaps she is the soap version of Benjamin Button.

Kevc1980
Member Avatar

I see why Vivian would be torn at first. She started to like Melanie before she knew she was Carly's daughter. At least she has decided to go through with her plan. I'm really enjoying Melanie being front and center, mainly because the story involves all of my favorite characters.

Mason
Member Avatar

Kevc1980
Feb 9 2010, 08:23 PM
I'm really enjoying Melanie being front and center, mainly because the story involves all of my favorite characters.
And that's what I hate, LoL. All these characters that I love are just playing backup to a character I've come to despise.

Mirage75
Member Avatar

Mason
AMEN! One of the many reasons I don't like the character and why I'm not impressed with Molly. If she wants us to buy this suppose maturity that Melanie has, then Molly needs to play it that way. Because she fails miserably. Molly's version of Melanie needs to play with the teens. Leave Phillip, Nathan and Stephanie along.
Edited by Mirage75, Feb 9 2010, 08:33 PM.

Mirage75
Member Avatar

Kenny
Feb 9 2010, 07:55 PM
PhoenixRising05
I loathe it too. I want that little twit dead. Vivian needs to just show her evil side like she did with Carly when she buried her alive. Screw this having remorse crap.

jane1978

Mason
Feb 9 2010, 08:25 PM
Kevc1980
Feb 9 2010, 08:23 PM
I'm really enjoying Melanie being front and center, mainly because the story involves all of my favorite characters.
And that's what I hate, LoL. All these characters that I love are just playing backup to a character I've come to despise.
I think it´s a good story and good decision from the show. I mean if Carly came back just to be with Bo that would be very old. And if she and Vivian for some reason decided to have their fight in Salem there wouldn´t be really much reasons why to care. Melanie as the daughter gives everybody involved a reason and connect them to Salem, to Phillip and Victor, to Kate and Stefano, to everything. And it will only get better after the father is revealed as well.

It gives the characters reason to interact with people and stories which matters now and not just continue some fight about things which happened two decades ago.

Mason
Member Avatar

jane1978
Feb 9 2010, 08:37 PM
And it will only get better after the father is revealed as well.
Since I loathe Daniel even more than I do Melanie, I'll have to beg to differ with you on that, LoL.

Quote:

It gives the characters reason to interact with people and stories which matters now and not just continue some fight about things which happened two decades ago.

That's all fine and dandy, but do they need Melanie for that?

OneBadKitty
Member Avatar

Damn, I wish she had been half as talkative when I interviewed her last week. :jedi:

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
ZetaBoards gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.
Learn More · Sign-up Now
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply