Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Locked Topic
SOW: A closer look: Rafe; February 23rd issue; article summary
Topic Started: Feb 11 2010, 03:17 PM (6,486 Views)
Angie79
Member Avatar
Royal Reporter

Please link to DR

EJ dumps Sydney’s clothes in the harbor to convince Sami and Rafe that she is dead.

EJ tries to get Sami to believe that Sydney is probably dead and that Rafe is to blame. He steps up his plan by throwing Sydney’s bloody clothes in the river. After they are found, Rafe tells Sami the news. He tells Sami and EJ at the same time. Galen says, “He doesn’t necessarily think it means Sydney is gone. Certainly, it doesn’t look good, but Rafe is like, ‘Let’s not give up hope. We’re going to continue to look for her. The case is by no means closed.’ He’s still fighting a good fight.”

EJ helps Sami cling to hope while they wait for the DNA results. The results confirm that it is Sydney’s blood on the clothes. Sami is devastated and it is a shock to Rafe. Galen says, “He’s been preaching that they were going to get Sydney back for so long that it’s hard for him to admit she’s potentially gone. It’s just too horrible. And it means disastrous consequences for Sami and Rafe as well.”

Rafe doesn’t want to give up hope. Heading the investigation and being the boyfriend of the mother that lost the child puts a lot of pressure on him. Galen says, “He’s pinned between two extremes. All of this is causing a rift between Rafe and Sami. They’re drifting apart, because Sami’s not getting what she needs right now, which is emotional support from Rafe.”

Rafe doesn’t suspect that EJ is behind it. “What would be the point of kidnapping Sydney right after getting her back? It doesn’t really make sense,” says GG. That is the case though and Galen says, “To a certain degree, he feels guilty. He wanted to be the guy to save the day, to get Sami out of this horrific situation. Now, it doesn’t look good. I don’t know that Rafe has felt worse in a long time.” When asked what he thinks about EJ orchestrating everything Galen says, “It’s a great chess game, and Sydney is the pawn.” When Galen first heard about the twist he wondered how it was even plausible and why EJ would do it. Galen says, “It’s been a lot of fun to play and a testament to James. He’s brought a lot to his character, made him such an a-hole and so miserable. At the same time, EJ is still likable and clearly loves his child. I’m interested to see what’s going to happen.”
Offline Profile Goto Top

IMissAremid
Member Avatar
After all... tomorrow is another day!

Is there some show-mandated gag order on every other actor in this storyline except Galen Gering?

I have already had as close a look at Rafe over the past few months as I could possibly want, SOD/SOW. But thanks anyway.

eta:

I will say though, that when GG says

Quote:

“What would be the point of kidnapping Sydney right after getting her back? It doesn’t really make sense,”

Quote:

When Galen first heard about the twist he wondered how it was even plausible and why EJ would do it.

I agree.
Edited by IMissAremid, Feb 11 2010, 03:25 PM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Uh...James Scott did the SOD interview so it's not just GG.

It all depends on who is more accessible. Ali has a busy schedule and who knows about James. Ari Zucker and Galen Gering are always around so those two do more interviews. I doubt it's intentional, especially since many magazine stories usually quote multiple actors so I would think they try to get Ali and James to talk to when they can.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Angie79
Member Avatar
Royal Reporter

Galen seems to get the 'Closer look' interviews A LOT though, and they are actual interviews. JS only has a few comments in the short SOD article about the story.
Offline Profile Goto Top

lysie
Member Avatar

I don't think I can possibly look closer at Rafe.

Is it normal for the closer look article and a story article to be about the same storyline?
Edited by lysie, Feb 11 2010, 03:31 PM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Alligato
Member Avatar

Angie79
Feb 11 2010, 03:17 PM
“It’s been a lot of fun to play and a testament to James. He’s brought a lot to his character, made him such an a-hole and so miserable. At the same time, EJ is still likable and clearly loves his child. I’m interested to see what’s going to happen.”
Seriously? EJ is likable? When? EJ clearly loves his child? Is this what you do to the child you love? Fake her death and keep her away from the mother isolated in a playpen with no outside contact?
Whatev, GG!

Thanks for posting!
Offline Profile Goto Top

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Angie79
Feb 11 2010, 03:28 PM
Galen seems to get the 'Closer look' interviews A LOT though, and they are actual interviews. JS only has a few comments in the short SOD article about the story.
Oh, I know but I chalk that up to accessibility.

The mags would probably love to talk to Ali Sweeney giving how popular she is and James Scott. Ali's probably just too busy and who knows about James. Maybe he just doesn't want to talk to the media or he's busy or something. Who knows. I doubt it's intentional.
Offline Profile Goto Top

lene
Member Avatar

He wondered WHY Ej would do it? The reason is pretty obvious. He wanted them to feel the pain he felt when he found out Grace was 'his' and they had kept her from him.
Edited by lene, Feb 11 2010, 03:47 PM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

SocRMum1
Member Avatar
Much prefers sweevil, snarky EJ over Father Figure Fucktard Eejiot.

Jeezits...if I'm forced to look any closer at Rafe he's going to have to buy me dinner. Posted Image
Offline Profile Goto Top

mer4santo
Member Avatar

oh Rafe, you and your wacky obsession with Sami's children....I don't know what to say....it's too bad that seems to be your only connection to Sami. Without the kids it appears you've got a whole lot of bubkus. Probably should have thought about your conflict of interest before you got on the job, you know, just in case. ;)

And it's shocking to me that nobody suspects Stefano....he's 'killed' tons of people before.

ETA: There is no doubt EJ is being a horrific ass. I still like him though.
Edited by mer4santo, Feb 11 2010, 03:49 PM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

SoapGal1
Member Avatar

Angie79
Feb 11 2010, 03:28 PM
SOO TRUE!! I'm sick of every interview regarding this story to come from GG. If they can't get AS or JS they should just skip it instead of having a new article every week from GG.
Offline Profile Goto Top

SoapGal1
Member Avatar

lene
Feb 11 2010, 03:46 PM
He wondered WHY Ej would do it? The reason is pretty obvious. He wanted them to feel the pain he felt when he found out Grace was 'his' and they had kept her from him.
Exactly. Although I'm not loving the idea of EJ doing this, I get WHY he's doing it. But this is part of why I like EJ so much, he's complex. His reactions aren't just going to be exactly what you'd expect. Even though I may not like what he does, most of the time I get it on some level. He's very much like Sami of old, she would do incredibly heartless things, but I always got why she was doing them. Ah....I loved that Sami...
Offline Profile Goto Top

Paxton
Member Avatar
Dreaming of a Melanie-free Days

Alligato
Feb 11 2010, 03:31 PM
Seriously? EJ is likable? When? EJ clearly loves his child? Is this what you do to the child you love? Fake her death and keep her away from the mother isolated in a playpen with no outside contact?
Whatev, GG!

Thanks for posting!
No kidding. I've liked EJ through a lot of horrible things that he's done but this latest really takes the fruitcake. I'm really done making excuses for him, though I don't think I've made any excuses for him since he first uttered the "that" heard 'round the world. And yeah, the fact that he's making me feel sorry for Sami is truly inexcusable. I can put up with a lot . . . but not that!

Thanks for posting, Angie!
Offline Profile Goto Top

Alligato
Member Avatar

I don't get why EJ is doing this at all. This is not tit for tat. This is a total "I won't stop til I ruin you" to tat.
What he is doing isn't explainable, it is pretty unforgivable.

I think they feature GG because he is the only one that can explain his characters behavior. Because JS can't spin his for believablity after all that he has done in the past, and Sami looks like a loser in all of this, especially by actually trusting EJ.
Offline Profile Goto Top

kitkat
Member Avatar

mer4santo
Feb 11 2010, 03:48 PM
oh Rafe, you and your wacky obsession with Sami's children....I don't know what to say....it's too bad that seems to be your only connection to Sami. Without the kids it appears you've got a whole lot of bubkus. Probably should have thought about your conflict of interest before you got on the job, you know, just in case. ;)

And it's shocking to me that nobody suspects Stefano....he's 'killed' tons of people before.

Actually this is very understood, Rafe in the safehouse promised to protect her daughter and her. And this spells one word-- failure, that is enough to destroy anyone. Rafe can't be supportive, this baby is like his heart and I think he sees being her protector as his destiny. EJ can be protective but he's only faking pain. Sami and Rafe are really feeling it. When Grace died Sami leaned on Rafe and EJ leaned on Nicole. And when the problems occured with Safe, Ari let Rafe lean on her though he didn't. The wounds that never healed with Grace are just having salt poured into them. And Sami is on the ground, down, and EJ is kicking her. Then picking her up and soothing the pain he caused, what a creep.

Applause to James Scott, for great acting!
Edited by kitkat, Feb 11 2010, 04:26 PM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

mer4santo
Member Avatar

kitkat
Feb 11 2010, 04:25 PM
mer4santo

Actually this is very understood, Rafe in the safehouse promised to protect her daughter and her. And this spells one word-- failure, that is enough to destroy anyone. Rafe can't be supportive, this baby is like his heart and I think he sees being her protector as his destiny. EJ can be protective but he's only faking pain. Sami and Rafe are really feeling it. When Grace died Sami leaned on Rafe and EJ leaned on Nicole. And when the problems occured with Safe, Ari let Rafe lean on her though he didn't. The wounds that never healed with Grace are just having salt poured into them. And Sami is on the ground, down, and EJ is kicking her. Then picking her up and soothing the pain he caused, what a creep.

Grace was his heart, Sydney, not so much. I understand that he is upset that he has disappointed Sami by not finding the baby again, but I feel like their only connection is through the baby, baby, who's got the baby.

While Grace was not his biological child, he was the only 'father' she knew and he bonded with her. He has no bond with Sydney at all and she isn't his biological or step-kid.

I understand he is trying to champion Sami's loss but to me, having the baby be the keystone to their partnership makes their relationship seem weak and unattainable as long as there is no baby. I would have liked to see him support Sami more and be the 'hero' less in recent times so as to strengthen their relationship as two individuals, not as parents to a kid neither one knows.
Edited by mer4santo, Feb 11 2010, 04:36 PM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

kitkat
Member Avatar

And from something I read recently I don't think JS is the newspaper interviewer type. Just a theory of mine, it was just something he said.

"Here James opens up about leading a quiet life,"

It also spoke of him being a private person.

I just wonder if he's not the kind of guy who likes doing the interviews for SOD & SOW

http://boards.soapcentral.com/showthread.php?t=564310

GG has been shown to be more out going. There's nothing wrong with JS being private or GG being more out going. Alison seems to never have any time, she goes and tapes "Days" then rushes and films "BL". While doing television interviews and bit parts in commercials and TV shows. And PS, I've noticed for the most part, SOW usually does have the longer story. Not always, but usually...
Offline Profile Goto Top

kitkat
Member Avatar

mer4santo
Feb 11 2010, 04:34 PM
kitkat
Feb 11 2010, 04:25 PM
mer4santo

Grace was his heart, Sydney, not so much. I understand that he is upset that he has disappointed Sami by not finding the baby again, but I feel like their only connection is through the baby, baby, who's got the baby.

While Grace was not his biological child, he was the only 'father' she knew and he bonded with her. He has no bond with Sydney at all and she isn't his biological or step-kid.

I understand he is trying to champion Sami's loss but to me, having the baby be the keystone to their partnership makes their relationship seem weak and unattainable as long as there is no baby. I would have liked to see him support Sami more and be the 'hero' less in recent times so as to strengthen their relationship as two individuals, not as parents to a kid neither one knows.
More specific, that baby, he felt in her stomach, and watched grow in her belly. Became a part of his heart and soul... he thought it was Grace he now knows it was Sydney. And I think the keystone is the support they give to each other, and he's falling below the yellow line (using a Biggest Looser metaphor). He's falling apart and has nothing to give as support. I've said it before, she put him on a pedastal, and that's a hard place to stand and balance.
Edited by kitkat, Feb 11 2010, 04:50 PM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

lysie
Member Avatar

kitkat
Feb 11 2010, 04:43 PM
And from something I read recently I don't think JS is the newspaper interviewer type. Just a theory of mine, it was just something he said.

"Here James opens up about leading a quiet life,"

It also spoke of him being a private person.

I just wonder if he's not the kind of guy who likes doing the interviews for SOD & SOW

http://boards.soapcentral.com/showthread.php?t=564310

GG has been shown to be more out going. There's nothing wrong with JS being private or GG being more out going. Alison seems to never have any time, she goes and tapes "Days" then rushes and films "BL". While doing television interviews and bit parts in commercials and TV shows. And PS, I've noticed for the most part, SOW usually does have the longer story. Not always, but usually...
As far as the "A closer look..." interviews go, there the whole rest of the cast to choose from other than just these three actors. I think JS may be pretty private, and even if he's not I honestly find his interviews annoying. I don't care for GG's either. I'd actually like to hear from some of the minor characters/lesser used actors. A closer look: Henderson anyone? Or the kids (their parents probably) or anyone other than the same few people over and over.
Offline Profile Goto Top

mer4santo
Member Avatar

kitkat
Feb 11 2010, 04:46 PM
And I think the keystone is the support they give to each other, and he's falling below the yellow line (using a Biggest Looser metaphor). He's falling apart and has nothing to give as support. I've said it before, she put him on a pedastal, and that's a hard place to stand and balance.
nice! ;)
Edited by mer4santo, Feb 11 2010, 04:54 PM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Locked Topic