Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member suffering succotash in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Weekly Discussion: 2/15 - 2/19
Topic Started: Feb 13 2010, 06:11 PM (15,420 Views)
Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

LawlyFan4ever
Feb 13 2010, 11:45 PM
Will DOOL be on even though the Olympics are airing right now? If they are can someone give me times so I can set my DvR?
The only day DAYS is officially pre-empted is this Monday. However, since NBC allows local affiliates to do whatever the hell they want, DAYS may get shifted to another time if your affiliate normally airs the show during the time NBC plans to broadcast the Olympics. If you normally watch the show in the later afternoon (3pm-ish or later), I'd check your local schedule just to make sure.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

Color me shocked, but I was *really* impressed with Nadia Bjorlin during those Daniel & Chloe scenes while he was trying to explain her hysterical pregnancy. That was the most passionate and honest performance I think Nadia's ever given.

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

I think another thing that hurts is how far ahead soaps tape now. Sometimes they're even a couple of months ahead! Back in the olden days, soaps were a week ahead (sometimes 2 or 3 if they were leading up to the holiday break). This led to much less chance of detailed story info to get out and storylines, etc. could be changed much easier based on fan reaction. Now, with a couple of months of stories in the can, you've got a couple of months of opportunity for important story details to get out (months in advance) and no opportunity to change a story if viewer reaction is negative and ratings take a nose dive. By the time the captain can get the ship turned away from the iceberg, it's too late because it's already sunk and under water.

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

Sindacco
Feb 17 2010, 03:23 PM
Matt
Feb 17 2010, 02:14 PM
I think another thing that hurts is how far ahead soaps tape now. Sometimes they're even a couple of months ahead! Back in the olden days, soaps were a week ahead (sometimes 2 or 3 if they were leading up to the holiday break). This led to much less chance of detailed story info to get out and storylines, etc. could be changed much easier based on fan reaction. Now, with a couple of months of stories in the can, you've got a couple of months of opportunity for important story details to get out (months in advance) and no opportunity to change a story if viewer reaction is negative and ratings take a nose dive. By the time the captain can get the ship turned away from the iceberg, it's too late because it's already sunk and under water.
I'm glad they aren't doing that. I don't want them to make last minute rewrites and drop stories left and right just because of fan backlash.
Well, there is good fan backlash and bad fan backlash. Unforunately, a lot of TPTB don't know which is which. Just because viewers are bitching and complaining doesn't mean they aren't watching every single day with rapt attention. It's when viewers are either so disgusted by what's happening or so bored and disinterested that they stop watching that's the issue. If ratings take a drastic drop during a specific storyline and viewer comments and reaction is negative, why would anyone even consider continuing it? If TPTB do decide to drop unpopular or ineffective storylines and characters and the show is 2 months ahead, by the time stories are altered (which could take weeks or a couple of months depending on how many things need to be changed) and then taped and then aired, it could be 6 months down the road where a show has been losing viewers the might not ever be able to get back.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply