Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
SOW: A closer look: Daniel; March 2nd issue; article summary
Topic Started: Feb 18 2010, 05:29 PM (2,237 Views)
Angie79
Member Avatar
Royal Reporter

Please link to DR.

Daniel learns he is a dad when Carly reveals that Melanie is his daughter.

He gains a daughter just as Chloe has to accept that she won’t have children with Daniel. Chloe is his primary concern and he suggests that she see a therapist. He makes an appointment for her, but she doesn’t go and lies to Daniel about it. He reminds her that he didn’t fall in love with her so she could give him a child.

Carly tells Daniel about Melanie when they are on the pier. He puts the pieces together and comes to the conclusion that the one night they were together, Melanie could have been conceived. He is enraged and horrified. He ran into Carly over the years at medical conventions and she never did tell him he had a child. Also, he knows how Melanie grew up with an evil father that pimped her out. Daniel could have given her a decent childhood. Daniel leaves in a rage and goes to see Melanie.

When he gets there, he still hasn’t come to grips with any of it. Shawn says, “He doesn’t think he has the tools or understands what it takes to be a father. He stares at Melanie. He doesn’t have the courage to tell her he’s her father. There’s a sense of hopelessness about it all.” How does he make up for all of the horrific things that have happened to Melanie? He has to figure out how to make this right and to protect her from Vivian. Shawn says, “That becomes his priority.”

Shawn said it was a surprise to him, he didn’t see it coming. “These are the kinds of stories that I like, the ones that are unpredictable and complex on multiple levels.” Daniel has the love of his life, a daughter now, and the mother of that daughter. Shawn says, “He’s trying to balance this tsunami of information and figure out where to go with it all.

Shawn and Molly talked about the fact they each have a dimple on their chin. Shawn says, “I used that when Daniel initially went to see her (after learning she was his daughter).”
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

aimees76
Member Avatar

He didn't see this coming? Really? Cuz the rest of us did, lol.

esp13
Member Avatar

Well, Shawn clearly hasn't been watching Days if this came as a surprise to him. You gotta love a show where a man fathers a daughter who just married the high school sweetheart of the woman he claims is the love of his life.

Paxton
Member Avatar
Dreaming of a Melanie-free Days

Angie79
Feb 18 2010, 05:29 PM
He stares at Melanie. He doesn’t have the courage to tell her he’s her father. There’s a sense of hopelessness about it all.
Tell me about it, Shawn. I too have a sense of hopelessness about never, ever being free from Melanie.

I also like how suddenly now Carly and Daniel have been seeing each other off and on over the years at medical conferences, and also how it's Carly's fault for never telling him he had a baby. Maybe if he had kept in better touch with his one night stand he'd have known sooner. Same shit that bugged me with Chad's OTT pouty rage over Mia, though even that was somewhat more understandable since she sold their baby and wasn't trying to protect her from krazykakes Lawrence.

Thanks for posting, Angie!

lene
Member Avatar

SOOO excited!
When is this suppose to happen? :)

jane1978

Paxton
Feb 18 2010, 05:43 PM
Angie79
Feb 18 2010, 05:29 PM
He stares at Melanie. He doesn’t have the courage to tell her he’s her father. There’s a sense of hopelessness about it all.
Tell me about it, Shawn. I too have a sense of hopelessness about never, ever being free from Melanie.

I also like how suddenly now Carly and Daniel have been seeing each other off and on over the years at medical conferences, and also how it's Carly's fault for never telling him he had a baby. Maybe if he had kept in better touch with his one night stand he'd have known sooner. Same shit that bugged me with Chad's OTT pouty rage over Mia, though even that was somewhat more understandable since she sold their baby and wasn't trying to protect her from krazykakes Lawrence.

Thanks for posting, Angie!
Chad left without saying goodbay. Daniel and Carly continued to meet probably for years, she even helped him to know his future wife, and Carly never told him anything. She was probably ordered by Lawrence but still itīs completely her fault. There is some more in the other article and she apparently didnīt bother to mention she is married until after either so it probably took time till they overcame awkwardness of that. And meantime Lawrence already took the matters in his hands.

Anyway, I like they arenīt trying to portray it as some big lost love from years ago. I really donīt want Daniel and Carly trying to play family just because they had drunk one night stand 20 years ago and accidentaly produced now adult (and married) daughter.

Paxton
Member Avatar
Dreaming of a Melanie-free Days

jane1978
Feb 18 2010, 05:58 PM
Daniel and Carly continued to meet probably for years, she even helped him to know his future wife, and Carly never told him anything. She was probably ordered by Lawrence but still itīs completely her fault. There is some more in the other article and she apparently didnīt bother to mention she is married until after either so it probably took time till they overcame awkwardness of that. And meantime Lawrence already took the matters in his hands.

Anyway, I like they arenīt trying to portray it as some big lost love from years ago. I really donīt want Daniel and Carly trying to play family just because they had drunk one night stand 20 years ago and accidentaly produced now adult (and married) daughter.
My point is that this feels like tacked-on details that don't quite jibe with their original meeting. Perhaps I wasn't paying close enough attention, and undoubtedly you will correct me if I'm wrong, but my impression of Carly and Daniel's first meeting upon her return to Salem was not of people who had seen each other often. I don't even care for Carly but I still don't like her being blamed for not telling Daniel about the baby under the circumstances that have been presented to us, i.e. psycho crazy Lawrence who was a real threat to kill Melanie if anybody knew about Carly's betrayal.

jane1978

Paxton
Feb 18 2010, 06:05 PM
jane1978
Daniel and Carly continued to meet probably for years, she even helped him to know his future wife, and Carly never told him anything. She was probably ordered by Lawrence but still itīs completely her fault. There is some more in the other article and she apparently didnīt bother to mention she is married until after either so it probably took time till they overcame awkwardness of that. And meantime Lawrence already took the matters in his hands.

My point is that this feels like tacked-on details that don't quite jibe with their original meeting. Perhaps I wasn't paying close enough attention, and undoubtedly you will correct me if I'm wrong, but my impression of Carly and Daniel's first meeting upon her return to Salem was not of people who had seen each other often. I don't even care for Carly but I still don't like her being blamed for not telling Daniel about the baby under the circumstances that have been presented to us, i.e. psycho crazy Lawrence who was a real threat to kill Melanie if anybody knew about Carly's betrayal.
Carly knew about Rebecca. When Rebecca died? Few years before Daniel arrived in Salem? Iīm not sure but it seems they stayed in contact atleast till some time before Rebecca died. I do think they havenīt seen each other ever since.

The timelines are sketchy but the way I see it is Daniel and Carly meet at some conference, have their romp, next morning she tells him she is married and both goes their way. Few years later they meet again, Daniel is still free, they laugh over what happened years ago, became friends and Carly eventually introduces him to Rebecca. Daniel and Rebecca fall in love and the trio continues to spend time together. Meantime the relationship between Carly and Lawrence get uglier and uglier till he finally locks her in his house. Some time after Rebecca dies, Carly hears from someone, but she never sees Daniel till she returns to Salem.

lily20

jane1978
Feb 18 2010, 06:23 PM
Paxton
jane1978

Carly knew about Rebecca. When Rebecca died? Few years before Daniel arrived in Salem? Iīm not sure but it seems they stayed in contact atleast till some time before Rebecca died. I do think they havenīt seen each other ever since.

The timelines are sketchy but the way I see it is Daniel and Carly meet at some conference, have their romp, next morning she tells him she is married and both goes their way. Few years later they meet again, Daniel is still free, they laugh over what happened years ago, became friends and Carly eventually introduces him to Rebecca. Daniel and Rebecca fall in love and the trio continues to spend time together. Meantime the relationship between Carly and Lawrence get uglier and uglier till he finally locks her in his house. Some time after Rebecca dies, Carly hears from someone, but she never sees Daniel till she returns to Salem.
that or Daniel cheated on his dying wife.

lily20

Also:
SC is an idiot. Unpredictable??

It's stupid how it plays/Played onscreeen. Carly never showed any guilt in her scenes with Daniel. Maybe CC was told to play it that way, but then again Days can't afford directors.
stupid either way.

Daniel will keep the truth from chloe now and this lame storyline will drag out for another 6 months until the truth is finally revealed to her and melanie.
I rather they break up Danloe with this crap right away so I don't have to sit through the torture of watching this shitty storyline.
Edited by lily20, Feb 18 2010, 06:43 PM.

Annaj

Poor Melanie, being the product of a one night stand!

Mirage75
Member Avatar

Poor Carly having those two idiots in her already complicated life. She better off without Melanie and Dr. Sleaze.

This whole story is so stupid period. Free Carly, Chloe!!!

Liz<3Days
Member Avatar

Just playin devil's advocate...would we have known Daniel was involved with Carly had it not been spoiled by KC himself way back when CC decided to join DAYS?

Maybe the GA wouldnt of pieced that together until it was said that Dan and Carly knew each other?

I really don't know? (And havent paid that much attention to CC and her SLs.)

Wonder if Bo will feel the "odd man out" after being there for Carly.

Halloween Family
Member Avatar

Yah Paxton! Men need to have some accountability too for their sexual encounters.

I'm excited for this s/l for Danloe. I'm trying not to hinge too many hopes and I'm a bit weary of Chloe lying to Dan but I could see this causing problems for Danloe. I'm not rooting for them to break up necessarily, just less humping, but Nadia needs some material to run with. Shawn too.

six
Member Avatar

I'm actually kind of looking forward to this story. IMO, Carly had the responsibility to say something. I understand she had other things going on with Lawrence, and was afraid he'd kill Melanie and Daniel, and that's a valid reason to keep quiet, but no one is going track everyone down and keep count on every one night stand.
Liz<3Days
Feb 18 2010, 07:08 PM
Just playin devil's advocate...would we have known Daniel was involved with Carly had it not been spoiled by KC himself way back when CC decided to join DAYS?

Maybe the GA wouldnt of pieced that together until it was said that Dan and Carly knew each other?

I really don't know? (And havent paid that much attention to CC and her SLs.)

Wonder if Bo will feel the "odd man out" after being there for Carly.

I think anyone who hadn't figured it out should have as soon as they told us Carly met the father at a medical conference, since it was so predictable.

I don't expect the actors to piece everything together though, since if they only read their own lines, they aren't seeing the huge anvils that the other character in the story are dropping. SC probably had no idea what was going on in CC and PR's scenes that were used to let Carly's secret out piece by piece, and wouldn't have seen MB's scenes where they kept mentioning her lack of a mother all of a sudden.

Plus even if the actors do figure things out, who's going to go to an interview and say 'Yea, I rolled my eyes when I read the script, and saw the so called 'twist.' I know we all saw that coming a mile away." ^o)
Edited by six, Feb 18 2010, 07:28 PM.

Sariah
Member Avatar

Anything that gets Danloe finished I'm all for.

It sounds like the show's going to play it just the way I figured they would - Daniel becoming very protective of Melanie (and probably, by extension, Carly) and all of his time, energy and emotion are going to be devoted to his newly-found daughter. Which I don't necessarily blame him for - I just think with as fragile as Chloe's feeling right now that she won't take to it too well.

So Phloe should just reunite and then everything will be all better. ;)

(And P.S. - I do find it this side of icky that Philip's first love is planning on getting married to his father-in-law.)

Kenny
Member Avatar

LoL @ Shawn calling this plot twist "unpredictable." Anyone with a brain could've figured this out months ago.

Regardless, I'm glad the truth is finally revealed. Now we can get on to the next leg of this story. Oh, and watching Daniel try to protect Melanie from Vivian should be humorous, LoL.

Thanks Angie!

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

It may be predictable to us because we're on a message board with rumors and spoilers all around us. To the unspoiled and those off the net, I doubt very many guessed it. Sure, some did but alot of times you see the most obvious results not guessed properly by the unspoiled or offline fans. I can understand why SC didn't see it coming. Maybe he felt it could happen but Days definitely didn't drop too many hints. It's not like we got a ton of Daniel and Melanie scenes. Only recently we did. Other then that, she helped him save Chloe and that was it. Carly and Daniel had scenes here and there but they talked about his wife and their being friends. We never got an indication of them having sex. Sure, this board figured it out but we had plenty more to go on then some other fans may.

I like the bit about the dimple that SC mentioned. That's neat. This sounds good. Glad Daniel is finally getting more to do.

lastDays
Member Avatar

I have felt sorry for melanie.Its a wonder she hadn't turned into a homicidal maniac.So much shit has been put on her starting with Trent. Daniel being her dad will be a turning point for her.She finally has a sense of belonging to a real family.Shell probably be pissed at Carly for a long time,though.I see Danloe unraveling.Chloe is going to fake therapist meetings,and Daniel will be trying to find the right time to tell her-probably when he thinks she is strong enough to deal with it.Chloe will be leaning more and more on Phillip which opens up another can of worms

IMissAremid
Member Avatar
After all... tomorrow is another day!

Paxton
jane1978

I actually thought the way SC described things jibed up pretty well with my sense of Daniel and Carly's first encounter with the hospital and I agree with him it was pretty shitty of Carly to keep his fathering Melanie a secret from him despite the fact that I'm not a huge Daniel fan at all and have no particular reason other than the story to sympathize with him.

What I remember from the first meeting at the hospital was this: Daniel and Carly were friends who saw each other regularly at medical conferences. Maybe this wasn't super often meetings, but the sense was that they saw each other at least once a year if not multiple times a year during their friendship. At one point during their friendship they had a one night stand and shortly after that Daniel met Rebecca. Carly made the decision to never tell Daniel about the pregnancy because 1) Psycho Lawrence and 2) she didn't want to mess up his relationship with Rebecca. Then over time Carly withdrew more and more into Alamainland giving up her medical practice and no longer going to the conferences and thus making the decision herself to cut off contact with Daniel. It wasn't like Daniel just knocked her up wham bam thank you maam and never talked to her again or somehow abandoned her. He never knew the extent of things because Carly never let him know.

Even if Carly was well-intentioned in keeping this a secret, which I think she was, it still doesn't totally justify her denying Daniel from ever having a chance to know his daughter and never giving him a chance to know what Melanie was facing and try to find a way to protect her himself either using his own resources or the Kiriakis resources that could've protected her from both Trent and the Alamains.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply