Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Locked Topic
Galen Gering interview with Michael Fairman
Topic Started: Feb 19 2010, 11:41 AM (11,055 Views)
vinnmerc
Member Avatar

aimees76
Feb 19 2010, 12:43 PM
I, um, don't think I have anything to say.
I just cannot get in to Rafe at all.. :sleep: I look forward to Ej's scenes in whatever shape or form we get them .
Offline Profile Goto Top

Livie

^I thought the same thing until I took the time to watch them, and not FF them because I was listening to the chorus of people saying he was ugly, boring, one note, uncharismatic etc. I actually took an interest after watching a banner someone on NBC has of a scene in the safe house where he managed to get out of the bathroom window when Sami had locked him in, and he stopped her escape. It had the same feel to me of the EJ and Sami scenes in the old abandoned house. It was two people in a instant of total chemistry.

After that, I began to pay close attention, and to appreciate the acting style of Rafe. Once my pre judging of him was over, I took a look, and the fact is, Ali and Rafe are showing the same type of deep unconditional love as was seen with Marlena and John. (I still preferred Isabella and John, but went with the current since Isabella was not coming back out of the fog at the pier).

I sent a comment to the columnist about how I wanted to see some more light hearted stuff between the two of them and he wrote back that he really loved them together as well, and also looked forward to them having some fun scenes when all the dark and gloom is lifted, hopefully when EJ is dressed in an orange jumpsuit.
Offline Profile Goto Top

daisy132

Livie
Feb 28 2010, 01:39 PM
^I thought the same thing until I took the time to watch them, and not FF them because I was listening to the chorus of people saying he was ugly, boring, one note, uncharismatic etc. I actually took an interest after watching a banner someone on NBC has of a scene in the safe house where he managed to get out of the bathroom window when Sami had locked him in, and he stopped her escape. It had the same feel to me of the EJ and Sami scenes in the old abandoned house. It was two people in a instant of total chemistry.

After that, I began to pay close attention, and to appreciate the acting style of Rafe. Once my pre judging of him was over, I took a look, and the fact is, Ali and Rafe are showing the same type of deep unconditional love as was seen with Marlena and John. (I still preferred Isabella and John, but went with the current since Isabella was not coming back out of the fog at the pier).

I sent a comment to the columnist about how I wanted to see some more light hearted stuff between the two of them and he wrote back that he really loved them together as well, and also looked forward to them having some fun scenes when all the dark and gloom is lifted, hopefully when EJ is dressed in an orange jumpsuit.
See? I DO watch the scenes with Rafe when I watch the show, and see NOTHING but Luis Fernandez. There is nothing appealing to me about the character OR the actor. So I did give him a chance. He failed miserably. If you like him, to each his/her own.
Edited by daisy132, Feb 28 2010, 02:39 PM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Livie

^Watching EJ I see a lot of the old Ethan. Which now makes me realize why it ended up being Zendal.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Criss33
Member Avatar

Cupcake06
Feb 26 2010, 09:31 PM
GG is sexy and I think Rafe/Nicole would be soooo hot.
I 100% agree with you about about Nicole and Rafe. I think they will be good a couple. Nicole (bad girl) is the totally apposite of Rafe(FBI agent) we all know that opposites attract!! :wink:
Offline Profile Goto Top

IMissAremid
Member Avatar
After all... tomorrow is another day!

Livie
Feb 28 2010, 11:53 PM
^Watching EJ I see a lot of the old Ethan. Which now makes me realize why it ended up being Zendal.
Does that make Rafe the equivalent of Zach Slater?

Because as much as I've made my hatred of Rafe Hernandez known I would never insult him as much to say he was as bad as that humorless punk pompous thug Zach Slater. :lol:
Offline Profile Goto Top

Livie

IMissAremid
Mar 1 2010, 01:15 AM
Livie
Feb 28 2010, 11:53 PM
Does that make Rafe the equivalent of Zach Slater?

Because as much as I've made my hatred of Rafe Hernandez known I would never insult him as much to say he was as bad as that humorless punk pompous thug Zach Slater. :lol:
No as a matter of fact I do not care much for Zach either. I just see a dumb EJ which is equivalent to the dumb Ethan guy.

Offline Profile Goto Top

annie
Member Avatar

do not see anything remotely sexy about Rafe Hernandez, find him gross and so unappealing. his mega hairy armpits are disgusting, needs pruning shears and he has rolls of fat on him, stop eating the pie and go to the gym. he looks very middleaged like Bo and Roman . his voice is much worse.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Livie

I posted a comment for Mr. Fairman, and he wrote back that he loved Sami and Rafe together, and also hoped when this Goth type EJ obsession story was over, we could get some of those great lighthearted moments of the two of them together in stories.

Other bloggers are starting to take notice of Galen as well, per the latest Two Scoops,

"I thought Galen Gering's performance where Rafe broke down at his desk over Sydney's bloody clothes was excellent. I don't even care that they closed Tuesday's show and opened Wednesday's show with the same scene. It was so good, I wanted to see it twice. The one thing that I've always bought about Rafe's character was his skill as an agent. So, when he broke down because the one thing he's never doubted -- his ability to solve a case -- failed him, I finally believed his emotions. More scenes like this could do wonders for this Rafe-loathing scooper!"

The more people take the time to leave their prejudices behind, and actually look and listen to this guy, them more EJ is meh. I wonder if the Ejami base still loves Two Scoops this week?
Edited by Livie, Mar 3 2010, 05:58 PM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

SocRMum1
Member Avatar
Much prefers sweevil, snarky EJ over Father Figure Fucktard Eejiot.

Livie
Mar 3 2010, 05:57 PM
I posted a comment for Mr. Fairman, and he wrote back that he loved Sami and Rafe together, and also hoped when this Goth type EJ obsession story was over, we could get some of those great lighthearted moments of the two of them together in stories.

Other bloggers are starting to take notice of Galen as well, per the latest Two Scoops,

"I thought Galen Gering's performance where Rafe broke down at his desk over Sydney's bloody clothes was excellent. I don't even care that they closed Tuesday's show and opened Wednesday's show with the same scene. It was so good, I wanted to see it twice. The one thing that I've always bought about Rafe's character was his skill as an agent. So, when he broke down because the one thing he's never doubted -- his ability to solve a case -- failed him, I finally believed his emotions. More scenes like this could do wonders for this Rafe-loathing scooper!"

The more people take the time to leave their prejudices behind, and actually look and listen to this guy, them more EJ is meh. I wonder if the Ejami base still loves Two Scoops this week?
When the blogger refers to themselves as a "Rafe-loathing scooper" I'd say chances are good that most EJami fans won't be coming at them with torches. :eyeroll: But I'm only speculating because for what it's worth - I'm a proud member of the EJami fan base and don't read Two Scoops.

And I'm not sure why someone appreciating Rafe automatically equates to EJ being 'meh'. Is that like a rule or something?
Offline Profile Goto Top

Livie

^As he said, more scenes like those could change him. It was watching the scenes like those that got me to switch, or rather to admit that what I was holding onto for dear life was not worth the effort. It just was not any good any more.
Edited by Livie, Mar 3 2010, 06:08 PM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

SocRMum1
Member Avatar
Much prefers sweevil, snarky EJ over Father Figure Fucktard Eejiot.

Well I have to say I thought the scene was better than probably any other I've seen from GG, which frankly isn't a very high bar, but I give him credit for showing more than I've seen in the past.

But what killed the overall impact for me, and this was down to the writing and not the performance, was the fact that when Rafe started talking to Sami about it he made it abundantly clear that he was grieving for his disappointment in the failure to bring Sydney home, rather than for Sydney herself. Initially, when Sami got him to open up he said something about being upset that he broke his promise. Then later, makes it a point to ask her if everytime she looked at him she'd think about the fact that he had failed. Essentially, he made it all about him and not the fact that Sydney had 'died'.

I found it to be pretty self centered for such a heroic kind of guy. I get that EJ can be pretty self centered, but then they don't really paint him as (to borrow a phrase from IMiss) the hero-y-ist hero that ever hero-ed.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Livie

^Not how I got it, but I am not looking from Ejami pov anymore. When he fondled the bloodied clothing, he was not seeing a case anymore, he was seeing a infant girl, a living, breathing, child that he had held, and taken back to Sami. Sydney was like a gift from God, to heal the hole in both Sami and Rafes hearts about Grace.

He broke his promise, which was to bring her back to Sami's arms. A promise he had no idea that it would be the child's own bio-father (I cannot call EJ anything but a sperm donor as he is no more a father figure than Stefano is now, children are possessions, not something to cherish) would make impossible.

Rafes other scenes to me have shown a calm, professional, demeanor. He has a job, and he was doing it.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Kiren
Member Avatar
Some people are alive only because itís illegal to kill them.

Livie
Mar 3 2010, 06:25 PM
^Not how I got it, but I am not looking from Ejami pov anymore. When he fondled the bloodied clothing, he was not seeing a case anymore, he was seeing a infant girl, a living, breathing, child that he had held, and taken back to Sami. Sydney was like a gift from God, to heal the hole in both Sami and Rafes hearts about Grace.

He broke his promise, which was to bring her back to Sami's arms. A promise he had no idea that it would be the child's own bio-father (I cannot call EJ anything but a sperm donor as he is no more a father figure than Stefano is now, children are possessions, not something to cherish) would make impossible.

Rafes other scenes to me have shown a calm, professional, demeanor. He has a job, and he was doing it.
I don't see Sydney as a possession to EJ.. He loves his children so much and I love that about him. He may be using Syd to get revenge on Sami-(though James said EJ won't be finding the pleasure he thought he would) but he's always so endeering with Sydney. And another reason he was taking Syd and johnny away was so he could have a stable life with them where they aren't both confused and being pushed and pulled between Sami and EJ. EJ's kids are not merely possessions to him.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Livie

^I just do not feel that way. A father that would do this for the selfish reason he is saying is not thinking what is best for the children, but what he thinks is best for HIM. Both those kids need and love their mother.
Offline Profile Goto Top

SoapGal1
Member Avatar

Quote:

First, I completely agree with Tony's column last week. E.J. really isn't that out of line. I mean yes, he is in the kidnapping, blackmailing, and baby death-faking kind of way. But, whereas DiMeras usually pull out some total BS reason for hurting other people (see: Your sister broke my dad's heart so I'm going to make your family pay!), E.J. actually has a dang good reason for wanting revenge on some people. Thus, I'm not that mad at him. Does that make me a bad person? Before you answer I want you to know that I think all of you smell great and have excellent hair

Another comment by the infamous "Two Scoops" (from the same commentary)

I occasionally read them and enjoy what they have to say. However, that isn't going to change MY opinion on any storyline. Just like Michael Fairman's assessment won't affect my view of things. Everyone's entitled to their own opinions.

The scene that Two Scoops was referring to with GG actually made me laugh I thought it was so poorly acted, but that's just me. I will say that in as much as I love JS, there have been scenes that I think his acting wasn't up to par. I think that goes for any actor, some days they are just off, but for me, I'm still waiting for GG to have an "on" scene.

Offline Profile Goto Top

Kiren
Member Avatar
Some people are alive only because itís illegal to kill them.

JANALH
Mar 3 2010, 07:17 PM
Quote:

First, I completely agree with Tony's column last week. E.J. really isn't that out of line. I mean yes, he is in the kidnapping, blackmailing, and baby death-faking kind of way. But, whereas DiMeras usually pull out some total BS reason for hurting other people (see: Your sister broke my dad's heart so I'm going to make your family pay!), E.J. actually has a dang good reason for wanting revenge on some people. Thus, I'm not that mad at him. Does that make me a bad person? Before you answer I want you to know that I think all of you smell great and have excellent hair

Another comment by the infamous "Two Scoops" (from the same commentary)

I occasionally read them and enjoy what they have to say. However, that isn't going to change MY opinion on any storyline. Just like Michael Fairman's assessment won't affect my view of things. Everyone's entitled to their own opinions.

The scene that Two Scoops was referring to with GG actually made me laugh I thought it was so poorly acted, but that's just me. I will say that in as much as I love JS, there have been scenes that I think his acting wasn't up to par. I think that goes for any actor, some days they are just off, but for me, I'm still waiting for GG to have an "on" scene.

LOL ITA with everything. But I'm not expecting an "on" scene anytime soon. After ALi praised him so much about his emotional scenes at the po-po station- I expected something- anything.

But It was just laughable and I know it's not my hate for him clouding my judgment because I could always easily praise Arianne's acting abilities though I hated Nicole all year last year and watching a few scenes cause' it was so hard for me to endure.

All of these actors and actresses have "off" days in my opinion. Allison, Bryan, James, Arianne, Leanne, even Joe, etc but none as much so as the H-crew. I haven't seen one good scene from either of them-though it is just my opinion and I'm only 16 and use to think the acting on YTV shows were just topnotch. :wow:
Offline Profile Goto Top

six
Member Avatar

Livie
Mar 3 2010, 05:57 PM
Maybe for you, but all of aren't coming at this from the same angle, nor are we all going to come to the same conclusions. It's not like there's something so undeniably wonderful about Rafe that he can't have his own non fans, just like everyone else on the show. I gave Rafe as much of a chance as everyone else. Don't like him and I'm not impressed with GG. But then, my feelings about Rafe and my feelings about EJ are two separate things. I've never tried to convince myself to hate/like either one of them. Why would I? You can like both, and ship both couples if they appeal to you, as some do.

As for two scoops, never heard of it before today and I don't plan to track it down.
Edited by six, Mar 3 2010, 08:15 PM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

magicsteacher
Member Avatar

Livie
Mar 3 2010, 06:25 PM

Great post. Rafe was grieving for an infant that he had deep feelings for. Just watching him looking at and feeling her clothes was proof of that.
I thought the scenes were great. They showed the other side of Rafe that we do not often get to see b/c he is always being strong for Sami. Rafe truly loves (ed) Sydney. I think he said it all when he told Ari on the pier before he brought Sydney home that "it doesn't matter who the biological parents are, once you fall in love with that child, you will do anything for them, anything."
Offline Profile Goto Top

six
Member Avatar

You know, I don't really see how Rafe has deep feelings for a child he bonded with for all of fifteen minutes. As someone mentioned earlier, it was that same thing that drove him to harass Nicole, and accuse her of murdering Grace. In Rafe-logic, he should be a suspect in Sydney's kidnapping and death.
Offline Profile Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Locked Topic