Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Possible Days Preemption on West Coast, other cities Fri 2/26; NBC to Carry USA Semi Final Hockey Game Live
Topic Started: Feb 24 2010, 06:13 PM (1,639 Views)
Drew
Member Avatar
#bbuk

Good! They should have been preempted for the entire two weeks! The American coverage has been absolute shit, which is surprising given this is the first games in a while to be in this timezone. Such an opportunity wasted.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

dooldooldool

SocRMum1
Feb 24 2010, 08:47 PM
I agree that it was ridiculous that they chose not to show the USA vs Canada men's hockey game on 'free' TV. A huge game and it gets shoved over to CNBC - just ridiculous!

It seems to me they tend to focus on individual athletes/sports rather than team sports.
The game was shown live on MSNBC and streamed live on nbcolympics.com. 8M viewers tuned to MSNBC (a record). Meanwhile NBC drew between 16M-26M during the same time frame. In other words, nearly 3X as many viewers watched the non-hockey Olympics. (http://tvbythenumbers.com/2010/02/22/tv-ratings-winter-olympics-golden-undercover-boss-still-working/42545)

No one can predict an "upset" and had the game been the blowout as expected, the game would have had the 3-5M viewers.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

evilD
Member Avatar

I'm almost feeling bad for you, Americans, complaining about the poor Olympic coverage on NBC. We don't have that problem in Canada: we have 6 different channels covering the entire competition. I have to sacrifice some events to watch what I really want!

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

dooldooldool
Feb 24 2010, 08:18 PM
PhoenixRising05
Feb 24 2010, 07:03 PM
My biggest issue is that Days never promoted the preemption last Monday and then planned all of it's sweeps stuff to go along with the Olympics when many people either had the show shifted around on their affiliate or they didn't get to see it at all unless they watch online or on Soapnet.
NBC is desperately trying to revive its prime time and late night ratings, so it's hardly surprising that DOOL gets zero promotion. That means endless promos for "Parenthood" and Jay Leno's return to "The Tonight Show", not for their sole daytime hour.

I know that some affiliates moved DOOL since NBC mandated Olympic coverage from 3-5PM (ET+PT) and 2-4PM (CT+MT). Whatever programming was scheduled for those hours had to be moved, whether it was Oprah or Ellen or DOOL.

I haven't seen that ANY market has "lost" DOOL during this time. And frankly, what is the percentage of viewers watching "live" each day? 80%? 50%? 20%? We will never really know, but I know I haven't watched it live since my first VCR in 1985 -- even on days when I am home with nothing to do. Maybe twice in ten years -- those rare "Big Event Days" -- I'll tape from 1-2PM, then start my tape at 202PM and be done at 242PM. Usually it's more likely I will cue up the recording at 6PM or 9PM or 1AM or on the weekend when I have 4-5 episodes stockpiled. The show is repeated 3 times a day on SoapNet and is now available online from multiple sources (nbc.com, aol, youtube), so viewers can see the show in many ways not available just a few years ago.

Friday's show will probably not be counted in the official ratings. We will find out shortly how the ratings have been during the Olympics. In past years, other programming on NBC has benefited mostly because a certain percentage of folks don't change the channel on their television sets (sounds bizarre, I know). It wouldn't surprise me if DOOL experienced the same bump.
I've seen responses from many on the boards saying they either have had Days shifted all over the place or don't have Days at all.

Your right that Days is hardly watched live but how does that make a difference? If it doesn't air in your market or you have no idea in advance when it's airing, there is still a problem which means the show will suffer. That is what I'm concerned about. Soapnet doesn't matter. That doesn't count in the ratings. Online is looked at but doesn't count in the ratings. If the show is DVRed and not watched until much later, it doesn't really count until the seasonal averages I believe.

And I wouldn't expect a bump. On one hand, during the past two winter Olympics the show had the same amount of viewers or better then that it does now (thanks to the recent surge on numbers) so maybe they can hold that much of an audience but the numbers have seen decreases the past two winter Olympics so it can go either way. However, the show didn't really handle the situation that good this time so I'm already accepting a bad two weeks for Days.

OneBadKitty
Member Avatar

Days had one scheduled pre-emption and one unscheduled one. At least we're not sitting through 2 whole weeks without Days.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

OneBadKitty
Feb 25 2010, 12:02 AM
Days had one scheduled pre-emption and one unscheduled one. At least we're not sitting through 2 whole weeks without Days.
True but they never really promoted the scheduled one enough. I mean, they gave the unscheduled one more promotion (see this very thread LOL). People may have tuned in last Monday and wondered where Days was and figured it was off for the entire Olympics. That's dumb.

I think they may regret not counting the whole two weeks. I think the show is going to drop a ton, which is a shame because they could've had a great sweeps coming off of last week's increases.

dooldooldool

PhoenixRising05
Feb 24 2010, 11:52 PM
Days is hardly watched live but how does that make a difference? If it doesn't air in your market or you have no idea in advance when it's airing, there is still a problem which means the show will suffer. That is what I'm concerned about. Soapnet doesn't matter. That doesn't count in the ratings. Online is looked at but doesn't count in the ratings. If the show is DVRed and not watched until much later, it doesn't really count until the seasonal averages I believe.

And I wouldn't expect a bump. ......the show didn't really handle the situation that good this time so I'm already accepting a bad two weeks for Days.
I do agree that NBC/CordayProductions/Sony dropped the ball on announcing their Presidents Day pre-emption. But that's how TV is run in 2010.

I recall the years and years of little 15-30 second promos that would air every July, just before the annual Wimbledon preemptions. There would usually be some witty repartee between a couple cast members breaking the fourth-wall, chuckling or horsing around that they had a few days off and they would be back the following week, but by all means to tune in and watch tennis or whatever. But that hasn't been done in years. Now, instead of that 30-second spot, that time is spent with a promo for some other program. I don't know if that's the fault of Sony or Corday or NBC (I vote NBC).

And it's not just DOOL. Nearly every primetime program that has "previews" at the end of the end of the show now simply "doesn't bother mentioning" that the show isn't on the following week. Desperate Housewives, Smallville, and Brothers+Sisters all do this. If the show isn't "new" the next week, then that 30 seconds of credits roll with some promo of some other program. Occasionally they will promote that the show "will be back with new episodes in X", but mostly it's a promotional spot for some other program, with no mention whether next week is a repeat or not show or some special programming.

As for episodes not being shown in certain markets, I think this is Urban Legend. It's being shown. Maybe at 10AM or at 12NOON or at 205AM or on the secondary digital feed that most NBC stations have. If a station was totally zapping it out of existence from their schedule, we would have seen a posting citing the station/city.

Ratings for last week come out on Friday AM (I think). NBC had a blockbuster Week One of the Vancouver Games. I suppose we will find out in 36 hours what that meant for DOOL.
Edited by dooldooldool, Feb 25 2010, 12:32 AM.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

dooldooldool
Feb 25 2010, 12:28 AM
PhoenixRising05
Feb 24 2010, 11:52 PM
Days is hardly watched live but how does that make a difference? If it doesn't air in your market or you have no idea in advance when it's airing, there is still a problem which means the show will suffer. That is what I'm concerned about. Soapnet doesn't matter. That doesn't count in the ratings. Online is looked at but doesn't count in the ratings. If the show is DVRed and not watched until much later, it doesn't really count until the seasonal averages I believe.

And I wouldn't expect a bump. ......the show didn't really handle the situation that good this time so I'm already accepting a bad two weeks for Days.
I do agree that NBC/CordayProductions/Sony dropped the ball on announcing their Presidents Day pre-emption. But that's how TV is run in 2010.

I recall the years and years of little 15-30 second promos that would air every July, just before the annual Wimbledon preemptions. There would usually be some witty repartee between a couple cast members breaking the fourth-wall, chuckling or horsing around that they had a few days off and they would be back the following week, but by all means to tune in and watch tennis or whatever. But that hasn't been done in years. Now, instead of that 30-second spot, that time is spent with a promo for some other program. I don't know if that's the fault of Sony or Corday or NBC (I vote NBC).

And it's not just DOOL. Nearly every primetime program that has "previews" at the end of the end of the show now simply "doesn't bother mentioning" that the show isn't on the following week. Desperate Housewives, Smallville, and Brothers+Sisters all do this. If the show isn't "new" the next week, then that 30 seconds of credits roll with some promo of some other program. Occasionally they will promote that the show "will be back with new episodes in X", but mostly it's a promotional spot for some other program, with no mention whether next week is a repeat or not show or some special programming.

As for episodes not being shown in certain markets, I think this is Urban Legend. It's being shown. Maybe at 10AM or at 12NOON or at 205AM or on the secondary digital feed that most NBC stations have. If a station was totally zapping it out of existence from their schedule, we would have seen a posting citing the station/city.

Ratings for last week come out on Friday AM (I think). NBC had a blockbuster Week One of the Vancouver Games. I suppose we will find out in 36 hours what that meant for DOOL.
I think your right but they could've easily had a little blurb on the bottom of the screen like they used to do from like 2001-2004 or even had a voiceover in the day ahead previews say "Tuesday February 16 on Days." Days did that during the Wimbledon preemption last year. It had AS do a voice over on Wednesday saying "Next week on Days." The Wimbledon preemption should be expected at this point anyway and Days always seems to suffer in the ratings during that week now so it's not as big a deal that they promote it anymore. All this needed to be promoted better because Days had a big sweeps going on. It saw major increases and jumped into 2nd in viewers and now they could piss it all away because they couldn't make a single blurb on the bottom of the screen? Dumb.

I also don't think it's an "urban legend." I've read numerous people online complaining or noting that they could not find Days on NBC or that they weren't getting it at all on NBC. People are busy now to begin with so you can't expect them to go looking for the show or to watch it some other way that they don't have time for can't do. It's just one big mess and I will pleasantly surprised if they manage to hold on to most of their gains. We'll see though.

Drew
Member Avatar
#bbuk

OneBadKitty
Feb 25 2010, 12:02 AM
You should be. Seriously, they have the games in this timezone for the first time in ages. Theres no reason to be doing all this tape delay garbage. They should have planned an olympic cliffhanger and returned next week.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

I remember during the 84 Summer Olympics in L.A. that aired on ABC, for those 2 weeks, Edge of Night, Loving, and Ryan's Hope were completely pre-empted (EDGE even took out full page ads reminding everyone to tune in after the Olympics) and AMC, OLTL, and GH aired 40 minute episodes crammed into the 1pm - 3pm time period. It was pretty much all Olympics all the time -- and the abbreviated versions of those 3 soaps were a compromise for affiliates who didn't want to lose their regular daytime programming! Originally, all of ABC soaps were supposed to be off for 2 weeks but the affiliates had a fit.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

You know, I don't think I would've minded a two week preemption. I hated it in 2004 but I think with the winter games it makes more sense because of sweeps and in the summer alot of people are home (Days skews younger and less people watch in summer anyway, at least live, it seems) so you can risk shifting it around and such. Look at summer 2008 and how well the show did.

This could end up hurting Days more and a two week preemption could've been promoted and a cliffhanger could've set things up just fine. Now, all the stuff they built up and the gains the show has could be for nothing.

IMissAremid
Member Avatar
After all... tomorrow is another day!

NBC's coverage of these games has simply been atrocious. For some reason the network isn't content to let the Olympics simply be about the sports themselves but has to make everything about the personalities. And not even always about personalities who even have anything to do with this games or the athletes, but like taking 10-20 minutes out of PRIMETIME coverage to do some segment on the mounted police or sit down with Michael Phelps or time wasted showing Bob Costas broadcasting ride while riding in a prop plane over Vancouver. WTF?

The only sport they've gotten totally right is curling, which has had every single second of a US match aired live and several other non-US games shown. How fucked up is that? Curling is the only one that gets the royal treatment. Other than the tape-delayed hockey and MSNBC not being in HD, their next best sport is probably hockey for all people are mad at them for what happened today and Sunday. They still have bothered to air every game even if it's been in the CNBC ghetto most of the time.

Unfortunately with things like figure skating and bobsled and skiing, every damn second is edited and packaged to remove all spontaneity or suspense and with the sports in many instances getting short shrift in that only a handful of competitors get shown.

It's just so stupid how they went about all of this. I mean how many networks are under the NBC Universal umbrella? At least half a dozen?

They could have done so many little things to make this better, starting with letting the USA network be a full-fledged Olympic channel during the games. I mean... it's the USA network? What better branding can you get?

With things like skiing, or speed skating or bobsledding where we only get bits and pieces of the events NBC could have aired the events live on NBC and then aired the edited packages with the main competitors and Americans in the evening. Would ratings really go down for that? I mean, I've watched the Olympics every damn night the last two weeks despite the fact that I read all the spoilers of who won events before they air in primetime AND have sought out live feed streams of many of the events (typically in a foreign language) just so I can see Lindsey Vonn wipe out on the slope or the American nordic combined team medal in real time.

I used to be a huge fan of NBC's Olympics coverage and I actually really loved their coverage of Beijing where I could watch live streams on NBC's website of a ton of different random things you'd never see on TV like judo or sailing at all hours of the night, but the Vancouver Olympics coverage has just totally blown.

cassie1013

I was so excited for NBC's coverage, even being Canadian. I thought a) it would be cool to see awesome high-budget production, and b) see how we're being seen through their eyes! But it's been bad. I'm very disappointed in them. CTV on the other hand has blown my mind. Their coverage has been phenomenal. I've never been so impressed with them as a network.

Ally
Member Avatar
The Royal Princess

cassie1013
Feb 25 2010, 02:26 AM
I was so excited for NBC's coverage, even being Canadian. I thought a) it would be cool to see awesome high-budget production, and b) see how we're being seen through their eyes! But it's been bad. I'm very disappointed in them. CTV on the other hand has blown my mind. Their coverage has been phenomenal. I've never been so impressed with them as a network.
CTV has been awesome.. It's so HARD to decide what to watch.. I was flipping between Hockey, Bobsled AND Speedskating - all of which were starting within 30 or so minute intervals.. I had to use a seperate TV from my parents because they knew I'd be flipping between the three.

NBC's coverage shocked me.. It starts at 3pm eastern (at least where I am) then goes to 5:30 or so, goes to the local news until seven. Then shows Entertainment Tonight, then resumes coverage at 8pm. At 7:30pm it's usually a recap of what has been happening.. Then it goes from 8 to 11:30, news again, then back to the Olympics at midnight And that's during the week... :shame:

With CTV, it tries to squeeze in news where it can, and they have a 30 minute one for local stuff where they can - and the national one has been edited down to 15 minutes or so. BUT if you still want the full version of the national news, you can flip over to their national news channel and get the full version. They shifted ALL their regular programing to their 'A' channel and focused 99.9% of their coverage to Olympics.. I LOVE it.. They tell you where you can catch what and when too.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

IMissAremid
Feb 25 2010, 01:05 AM
NBC's coverage of these games has simply been atrocious. For some reason the network isn't content to let the Olympics simply be about the sports themselves but has to make everything about the personalities. And not even always about personalities who even have anything to do with this games or the athletes, but like taking 10-20 minutes out of PRIMETIME coverage to do some segment on the mounted police or sit down with Michael Phelps or time wasted showing Bob Costas broadcasting ride while riding in a prop plane over Vancouver. WTF?

The only sport they've gotten totally right is curling, which has had every single second of a US match aired live and several other non-US games shown. How fucked up is that? Curling is the only one that gets the royal treatment. Other than the tape-delayed hockey and MSNBC not being in HD, their next best sport is probably hockey for all people are mad at them for what happened today and Sunday. They still have bothered to air every game even if it's been in the CNBC ghetto most of the time.

Unfortunately with things like figure skating and bobsled and skiing, every damn second is edited and packaged to remove all spontaneity or suspense and with the sports in many instances getting short shrift in that only a handful of competitors get shown.

It's just so stupid how they went about all of this. I mean how many networks are under the NBC Universal umbrella? At least half a dozen?

They could have done so many little things to make this better, starting with letting the USA network be a full-fledged Olympic channel during the games. I mean... it's the USA network? What better branding can you get?

With things like skiing, or speed skating or bobsledding where we only get bits and pieces of the events NBC could have aired the events live on NBC and then aired the edited packages with the main competitors and Americans in the evening. Would ratings really go down for that? I mean, I've watched the Olympics every damn night the last two weeks despite the fact that I read all the spoilers of who won events before they air in primetime AND have sought out live feed streams of many of the events (typically in a foreign language) just so I can see Lindsey Vonn wipe out on the slope or the American nordic combined team medal in real time.

I used to be a huge fan of NBC's Olympics coverage and I actually really loved their coverage of Beijing where I could watch live streams on NBC's website of a ton of different random things you'd never see on TV like judo or sailing at all hours of the night, but the Vancouver Olympics coverage has just totally blown.
Reading all that, it makes me see that your right.

I mean, to me, the Olympics coverage has been veering toward what it is now for some time. I guess in the summer it doesn't come off as bad because there is more coverage, probably because NBC doesn't care what it preempts then because it's summer and there is nothing on.

I'm thinking the best thing to do would've been to preempt everything from like 9AM-5PM. Provide a half hour of local news at 5PM and then nonstop Olympics from 5:30-midnight. Then a midnight local newscast and then re-run highlights and stuff in late night. Days could've been preempted two weeks and I think this kind of schedule would've helped alot.

dooldooldool

PhoenixRising05
Feb 25 2010, 02:00 PM
.... best thing to do would've been to preempt everything from like 9AM-5PM. Provide a half hour of local news at 5PM and then nonstop Olympics from 5:30-midnight. Then a midnight local newscast and then re-run highlights and stuff in late night. Days could've been preempted two weeks and I think this kind of schedule would've helped alot.
The affiliates would have a cow. Multiple cows. Giving up Oprah or Ellen or RachaelRay or their local news? Or those wonderful infomercials that are money right into their pockets? NBC only owns about a dozen of the nearly 200 stations. Those non-NBC-owned 180+ stations don't want the Olympics on their station 24/7. And the affiliates are powerful. NBC was making money on Jay Leno @10PM, but the affiliates demanded his return to 1135PM. In the current marketplace, affiliates have all the power. Heck, even the ABC station in Phoenix pre-empted LOST this week to show a one-hour Ford infomercial because they could make more money from Ford than by selling a few minutes of ads during ABC's highest rated scripted show.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

dooldooldool
Feb 25 2010, 04:30 PM
PhoenixRising05
Feb 25 2010, 02:00 PM
.... best thing to do would've been to preempt everything from like 9AM-5PM. Provide a half hour of local news at 5PM and then nonstop Olympics from 5:30-midnight. Then a midnight local newscast and then re-run highlights and stuff in late night. Days could've been preempted two weeks and I think this kind of schedule would've helped alot.
The affiliates would have a cow. Multiple cows. Giving up Oprah or Ellen or RachaelRay or their local news? Or those wonderful infomercials that are money right into their pockets? NBC only owns about a dozen of the nearly 200 stations. Those non-NBC-owned 180+ stations don't want the Olympics on their station 24/7. And the affiliates are powerful. NBC was making money on Jay Leno @10PM, but the affiliates demanded his return to 1135PM. In the current marketplace, affiliates have all the power. Heck, even the ABC station in Phoenix pre-empted LOST this week to show a one-hour Ford infomercial because they could make more money from Ford than by selling a few minutes of ads during ABC's highest rated scripted show.
Oh, I know but sometimes other things should take precedence. Then again, in the past ten years, the name of the game has become whatever makes the most money, even moreso then usual.

The schedule I proposed was merely an example. The fact is they should've handled all this better.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
ZetaBoards gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply