Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
SOW:A closer look:Maggie; March 16th issue; article summary
Topic Started: Mar 4 2010, 02:58 PM (1,479 Views)
Angie79
Member Avatar
Royal Reporter

Please link to DR.

Maggie learns her myasthenia gravis is no longer in remission. Suzanne Rogers developed the condition in 1984, so the plot hits close to home. When Suzanne found out about the twist she says, “I was a little stunned, because when we did the story before, I was in the throes of it. Now, I’ve been in remission since 1995. I’m approaching it as an actress having been told her character’s going to have some kind of disease.”

With Suzanne, the disease affected her throat and face. But, the disease will affect Maggie’s limbs. Her legs and hands get weak and she falls. Suzanne is glad about that because she can separate the two.

SOW asks if the story messed with her head a bit. Suzanne says, “It did. When I was told, I went ‘Ooooh! I’m not real thrilled about this.’ I mean, I like the work, and it’s nice to have a storyline that’s informative and can help people who have the disease. But if somebody had said, ‘Would this be a story you want to do?’ it would not have been at the top of my list.”

To prepare for the story, she called the Myasthenia Gravis Foundation and asked for the latest brochures. She read through it and wanted to find out more about it affecting the limbs. She did get a little stressed, but Suzanne said she thought “Just put your personal feelings aside and deal with it as Maggie.”

Suzanne talks about the disease and that you can stay in remission for the rest of your life or it can be triggered again. What triggered it for her was going through a divorce and that DAYS had an attitude of wanting young stars at that time and she was 35. She didn’t handle the trauma in her life well. She has been in remission for years and used to go around the country to give speeches about the disease.

Daniel persuades Maggie to see a doctor about it and to tell Melanie about it. When asked when the scene between her and Melanie is like, Suzanne says, “Very warm. Melanie says she wants to be there for Maggie. She and Phillip end up moving into Maggie’s house to take care of her, although Melanie doesn’t put it like that. She says they’re doing it to get away from Victor.”

Maggie doesn’t want to have rely on Melanie and doesn’t want to hold her back. Suzanne says that she is close with Molly. “Well, Molly and I are close, and we love to work together. The other day, I hadn’t gone on-set yet, when Molly came walking upstairs. I told her, ‘I’m going to kidnap and adopt you. You can tell that to your boyfriend Casey.’ That’s how we are with each other.”
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

lysie
Member Avatar

Angie79
Mar 4 2010, 02:58 PM
What triggered it for her was going through a divorce and that DAYS had an attitude of wanting young stars at that time and she was 35.
I just wanted this line and that age to show up again.

peaches179

Poor Suzanne! :( Thanks Angie!

Paxton
Member Avatar
Dreaming of a Melanie-free Days

This interview made me uncomfortable. For once, I'll keep my Melanie-related thoughts to myself.

Thanks for posting, Angie!

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

I had a feeling Rogers was uncomfotable with this storyline when she was first approached and spoke about it months ago. You could just tell by the way she talked about the whole thing. She wasn't fully behind it. However, she's a professional and she's going to do what she's supposed to do. She's an actress that acts out what the writers give her. Sometimes, you get material you're not fond of, but it's your job to sell it. She sounds like she's going to do just that.

SocRMum1
Member Avatar
Much prefers sweevil, snarky EJ over Father Figure Fucktard Eejiot.

Thanks for posting.

I feel for SR but applaud her professionalism. And I'm just happy they are giving her something to keep her on my screen. :)

Keith
Member Avatar

I have little hope this will be played as little more than a side plot for Melanie, but I'll enjoy seeing Maggie continually on screen as I have since January. Even if its been minimal, she's seemed to have been fleshed out into more of a character again this year and I love it.

Spencer Hastings
Member Avatar

I really feel for Suzanne. There's no way she should have to deal with this story line, especially considering how personal it is for her. It's obviously something she's had to deal with that she does not want to revisit. They should respect that, but kudos to her for going through with it. Truly a class act.

Ellie

DrewHamilton
Mar 4 2010, 03:36 PM
I had a feeling Rogers was uncomfotable with this storyline when she was first approached and spoke about it months ago. You could just tell by the way she talked about the whole thing. She wasn't fully behind it. However, she's a professional and she's going to do what she's supposed to do. She's an actress that acts out what the writers give her. Sometimes, you get material you're not fond of, but it's your job to sell it. She sounds like she's going to do just that.
Completely agree with all of this. I also feel bad for her. I often like the SOW 'closer look' articles more than the SOD articles; with the SOW articles, at the same time that the actor/actress is trying to sell the story, it's possible for the reader to tell how he/she really feels about it.

Thanks Angie for posting!

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

It sucks because I think Rogers was looking forward to an alcoholism storyline, but got this instead.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Nothing new here. We got all this from Navell's interview with her on Buzzworthy LOL.

I look forward to the story and the scenes sound good. I will just leave my comments at that.

Sariah
Member Avatar

So now Maggie and Philip can be props for the Nathan/Melanie storyline. Oh joy. :rolleyes:

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

I think it's hilarious to think that Philip would choose to live in Maggie's house rather than the mansion. Hell, he could probably buy his own mansion for himself and Melanie if he wants to get away from Victor and Vivian that much. Shows what the budget is doing to the show. :(

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Well, if Melanie is worried about Maggie and wants to stay there, then I can see Philip going along with that.

I know some will say why not Nathan move in? Well, Maggie would not want Nathan to do that and she wouldn't want Melanie too either but her and Philip need a place because of Victor not kicking Vivian out so it fits.

Is it budget related? Sure but to me it's no big deal.

sungrey

Think I would have liked the alcohol plot better... but I agree with her statement about wanting young people and she was 35. That wasn't a really good period for Days, because for a little bit the show veered away from stuff like Liz/Neil/Marie, Don was written off... it seemed like you were safe if you were young. Then along came Victor and his connection with Caroline and it was almost like the show discovered it could write old once again.
Edited by sungrey, Mar 4 2010, 05:43 PM.

Eric83
Member Avatar
"Relax nobody's having sex.... at least not yet"

Sounds good to me.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply