Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Marcy Rylan Joins Y&R as Abby Recast; Courtesy of TV Guide Magazine
Topic Started: Mar 6 2010, 11:54 AM (4,586 Views)
dc cubs
Member Avatar

Guiding Light Vet Marcy Rylan Joins Y&R
by Michael Logan March 06, 2010 09:36 AM EST

Heads continue to roll at The Young and the Restless. Yesterday it was announced that the CBS soap had fired Vail Bloom as D.A. Heather Stevens and replaced her with former All My Children star Eden Riegel. Now comes word that Hayley Erin is out as teenager Abby Carlton. The character Ė to be aged a decade Ė will next be played by Marcy Rylan, a sensation as Guiding Lightís Lizzie Spaulding. This is the third high-profile replacement casting at Y&R in recent weeksóthe soap also axed William Russ as Tucker and gave the role to ex-Days of Our Lives heavyweight Stephen Nicholsm Russ as Tucker. TV Guide Magazine spoke with Rylan to get the scoop on her new gig in Genoa City.

Cool news! You just had your first baby. Now this! Were you ready to get back to work so soonóand on another soap?

Like 48 hours after we were done shooting GL last August, I moved to LA on the very last day I was allowed to fly because of my pregnancy. My son Jackson was born October 21 and then I took three months off before I started auditioning again. I definitely wanted to get back to work while people still know who I am and still care! [Laughs]

How did this Y&R thing happen?

I went in to meet with [executive producer-head writer] Maria Bellówho is just awesomeóbut I thought I was just having a general meeting. I didnít realize there was a part to discuss, so it was a huge surprise when she brought it up. I couldnít believe it! I went out to the parking lot and Iím like, ďOh, my God, I think Iím going to be on Y&R!Ē In my mind, this was always the soap I wanted to be on. Every time I would judge the Emmys, Y&R always had the best actors. UhÖafter GL of course! [Laughs]

When do you hit the air?

I start taping the week of April 5, then Iím on air sometime around May 10. The character wonít be on the show for a few weeks. Age wise, sheíll go from being a 15-year-old to early to mid-20s. They really raved about Hayley ErinóIíve watched her and sheís so gorgeous and talentedóbut it got to a point where there was only so much story to write for a teenager. I think a whole new world is going to open up for this character.

Are you ready to be Victor Newmanís spawn?

I canít even think about it! I donít even know how Iím going to introduce myself to Eric Braeden, Iím that nervous!

Well, this isnít the first time youíve been related to a bad-ass.

Thatís true. I was around Alan Spaulding [Ron Raines] on GL all the time, and Phillip Spaulding [Grant Alexander] was my father. Iím used to these powerful, bold men, you know? So that should help me from being completely terrified with Victor.

Actually, maybe Victorís the one who should be worried.

Yes, Iím sure heís freaked-out already! [Laughs] Heís amazing. And so is Eileen Davidson [Ashley], whoíll be my mom. Sheís so beautiful. And Iím coming from working with Beth Chamberlain [Beth] as my mom on GL. Dude, Iíve got really hot moms!

Are you hip to Abbyís bizarre history?

That sheís the product of Victor Newmanís stolen sperm? Yes! And that his sperm was stolen by my mother! [Laughs] I canít even believe Iím saying that out loud. Itís so wild!

Thatís gotta send a kid to therapy.

I hope so! I like playing Ďem demented. They havenít told me much, but I think this is going to be a very rebellious time for Abby. Iím over-the-moon excited!

Source: TV Guide Magazine
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

Oh, yippie! - End sarcasm!
Quote Post Goto Top

talbab1994
Member Avatar

Ok, not sure what to say yet.

MichaelGL
Member Avatar
Sexy Jew

Lesson learned...be careful for what you wish for!

I wanted Rylan on a soap, but particularly not Y&R.
Edited by MichaelGL, Mar 6 2010, 12:30 PM.

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

Whaaaaaaaa??

Grandpa Hughes
Member Avatar
WANDERING Minstrel!

What the HELL? Another strange casting choice! I have nothing against Ms Rylan but why? Guess she "POPPED" with MA Bell and old Pauly! :drunk:

Miss Rhi
Member Avatar
"If Sami can't find happiness with a Martian, then she can't find happiness with anyone."

OMG! (Not meant in a good way either)

I feel like I am REALLY living in the Twilight Zone and all these things are happening not just in soapland that I do not understand AT ALL.... :huh:

dc cubs
Member Avatar

I like Rylan but think she's too old for the part of Abby. How old will Noah be when he comes back to town?

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

Okay. Even after reading the article, I'm still just baffled. Are they going to age Noah too and get rid of Kevin Schmidt? This just seems so drastic and bizarre.

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

She really does resemble Davidson and she's talented. Rylan is a great choice for an Abby recast, maybe 5 or so years from now. But no way should the character be in her mid-20s this soon.

Drew
Member Avatar
#bbuk

This is all kinds of BULLSHIT.

So Abby is suddenly going to be older than Noah? And near 30 while Kyle Abbott is still only 10?

NavJLee8785
Member Avatar
Always the Panic Spreader

so...didn't someone say this yesteday here at this very board about Marcy Rylan to Y&R?!

Chilly Fan 25
Member Avatar

I loved Marcy Rylan as Lizzie. She's talented and I might actually like Abby for a change.

MichaelGL
Member Avatar
Sexy Jew

Oh at this point the timeline of everyone's births is messed up, most notably when they brought on Kyle who was like 10, while Abby is a teen in high school, but I agree this messes it up even more.

What I don't understand is why won't they SORAS Kyle? Do they not think the Abbotts are as important as the Newmans, which is shown by their SORASing the hell out out of Abby and potentially Noah? This is just all kinds of nonsense. It only fuels my belief that MAB has something against the Abbotts and perhaps even wants to phase them out soon.
Edited by MichaelGL, Mar 6 2010, 12:37 PM.

NavJLee8785
Member Avatar
Always the Panic Spreader

So now Abby is going to be older than Noah?

McMarley
Member Avatar

Chilly Fan 25
Mar 6 2010, 12:34 PM
I loved Marcy Rylan as Lizzie. She's talented and I might actually like Abby for a change.
I love Marcy Rylan as well. I still think that sorasing Abby that much is strange but I do understand that there isn't that much story to tell for a teenager on the Y&R of now.

I'm afraid that she will be playing a Lizzie clone even though I loved Lizzie.

Damnit! I wanted her on Gh as a recast Serena Baldwin.

Miss Rhi
Member Avatar
"If Sami can't find happiness with a Martian, then she can't find happiness with anyone."

MAB & Co. don't know how to write for teens at all so their solution is to age all the current teens to adults and keep all the characters off screen like Kyle kids so they won't have to write teen stories at all. If they age Noah and Eden that's going to screw up the whole shitty Daisy storyline since the bitch was/is the same age as Noah and Eden.

Nubia
Member Avatar
The Queen

Um.....okay Y&R. I just don't know what to say anymore.

Drew
Member Avatar
#bbuk

There are so many issues with their younger set, Daisy not being Noah/Eden's age wouldnt be the least of their problems.

Ryder certainly isnt in high school. And they havent played him as such. But he's Daisy's twin? And Daisy is at walnut grove? Even though she looks like she's much older when next to Eden. The only way that mess has worked out for me is to pretend Daisy is staying in COLLEGE dorms. And that would have been a better fit for Abby to befriend someone college aged during her rebellion. Plus - its pretty pathetic if Jana, art thieving terrorist or whatever, is getting beat up by a high school girl.

They really need to sort out Noah and Eden. Do these actors want to be on contract, yes or no. If no, then its time to replace them. As good as Kevin Schmidt is as Noah, his constant coming and going to do other projects is killing the character.

Leia
Member Avatar

This is so fucked up

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create your own social network with a free forum.
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · General Daytime News · Next Topic »
Add Reply