Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
The 82nd Annual Academy Awards; Live @ 8:30 PM on ABC
Topic Started: Mar 7 2010, 03:59 PM (5,550 Views)
Red Mist
Member Avatar

NavJLee8785
Mar 8 2010, 12:33 AM
Did Clooney really look like a mess tonight?
Yes, and he seemed very unhappy...I dare say pissed off.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

NavJLee8785
Member Avatar
Always the Panic Spreader

You know, I have always thought this ever since I have been to an award ceremony, but I look at some of the publicists to those stars, and all I can say in my head is, "Which ones are only here to party w/ these people and not do their jobs?"

Drew
Member Avatar
Ewok

NavJLee8785
Mar 8 2010, 12:37 AM
You know, I have always thought this ever since I have been to an award ceremony, but I look at some of the publicists to those stars, and all I can say in my head is, "Which ones are only here to party w/ these people and not do their jobs?"
Well just look at the dead celebs to have your answer.

NavJLee8785
Member Avatar
Always the Panic Spreader

Drew
Mar 8 2010, 12:41 AM
NavJLee8785
Mar 8 2010, 12:37 AM
Well just look at the dead celebs to have your answer.
ha, I don't have to...I get told stories LoL

alphanguy
Member Avatar

I thought the set looked GORGEOUS, it's about time someone designed something NICE for a change. Monique is gonna be a bitch on wheels from now on, mark my words! She'll be so full of herself, nobody will be able to stand her. But it's not as if she has to come up with original material for her comedy act, since she steals half of it from Lawanda Page's comedy albums form the the 60's.

Angie79
Member Avatar
Royal Reporter

Kenny
Mar 8 2010, 12:14 AM
LoL! Oh my God. You know that press room director wants to get up there and smack the shit out of Monique.

"Actually sugar, we're gonna go to #85, then over there... THEN we'll wrap it up."

If you guys aren't watching E!, turn it on immediately.
I saw that. It was kinda funny. That woman had to pretty irritated about it.

I liked Steve and Alec as hosts. I would have liked to have seen even more of them.

I was suprised that 'The Hurt Locker' beat 'Avatar' for director and best picture. Kinda cool though! James has to be at least a little bit bothered by his ex-wife beating him.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Angie79
Member Avatar
Royal Reporter

Did anyone else see the 'Handsome Men's Club' skit that Jimmy Kimmel had on his special show after the awards show tonight? It was hilarious!!!

alphanguy
Member Avatar

Yes... I saw it, and it was GREAT! Kimmel and Affleck in bed was hilarious! Gilles is GORGEOUS, I wish he wouldn't wax his chest. But someone else tonight needed wax, im sure!!

Posted Image
Edited by alphanguy, Mar 8 2010, 02:33 AM.

Mateo
Member Avatar
Punk Cabaret is Freedom

Angie79
Mar 8 2010, 02:08 AM
I liked Steve and Alec as hosts. I would have liked to have seen even more of them.

I like both of them, they can be really funny, but they didn't seem to really get a chance to let loose here. Most of the time they came off stiff and awkward.

Manny
Member Avatar

I heard that Hurt Locker is extremely boring..

Rick
Member Avatar
Dreamlander

Kathryn Bigelow directed one of the best modern Vampire movies EVER!

Near Dark

lysie
Member Avatar

Dragonish1
Mar 8 2010, 12:36 AM
NavJLee8785
Mar 8 2010, 12:33 AM
Did Clooney really look like a mess tonight?
Yes, and he seemed very unhappy...I dare say pissed off.
I thought that was a bit they were doing.

Liz<3Days
Member Avatar

I thought it was a bit they were doing too. I bet he wasnt happy though knowing that his movie wasnt in the running but had to sit there for 4+ hours and the camera panning to him.

I saw the Monique stuff backstage and although I like that she picked the peeps that were nice to her before she "blew up" and became Ms. Oscar, she was full of herself doing it.

The E! afterparty was funny because they had that secret cam where the stars were waiting for their limos. You saw Mark Anthony puffing away with J-Lo and Lenny Kravitz, then Sean Penn walking all over Hollywood looking for a cab after he waited and waited. Sean, they closed about 4 blocks..only Limos got in...so he had to do some walking! Did you see how many cigs he puffed on?

Drew
Member Avatar
Ewok

The story behind Oscar's "Kanye moment"

We talk to the two filmmakers whose personal fight became one of the ceremony's weirdest moments
By Kerry Lauerman

Bigelow vs. Cameron? Streep vs. Bullock? Forget it. The most riveting face-off during Sunday's Oscar ceremony came early: When producer Elinor Burkett wrestled the microphone away from director-producer Roger Ross Williams after their film, "Music by Prudence," won for best documentary short. (Mediaite has the video.)

What really happened? We reached both shortly after by cell phone, and got both sides of the story. We first reached Burkett – a onetime Salon contributor who spends much of her time in Zimbabwe – as she took a smoking break as the proceedings continued inside:

People are already saying you "pulled a Kanye." What happened?

BURKETT: What happened was the director and I had a bad difference over the direction of the film that resulted in a lawsuit that has settled amicably out of court. But there have been all these events around the Oscars, and I wasn't invited to any of them. And he's not speaking to me. So we weren't even able to discuss ahead of the time who would be the one person allowed to speak if we won. And then, as I'm sure you saw, when we won, he raced up there to accept the award. And his mother took her cane and blocked me. So I couldn't get up there very fast.

Can you explain the reason behind the conflict?

BURKETT: The movie was supposed to be about the entire band, Liyana. And the [band members] were very clear they did not want to participate if it ended up being just about one person. The director and HBO decided to focus solely on Prudence . . .

And that led to the rift. But didn't you see him at other events to discuss what would happen if you won?

BURKETT: He won't talk to me! This whole week, there have been events thrown by the International Documentary Association, and he hasn't passed any of the invitations on to me.

The movie was my idea. I live in Zimbabwe. Roger had never even heard of Zimbabwe before I told him about this. And you know, I felt my role in this has been denigrated again and again, and it wasn't going to happen this time.

How do you feel about the final product?

BURKETT: The final product, it's not that it's bad. It's not what I envisioned when I came up with this project. And it's not what we promised the boys in the band. It's just not what we wanted it to be.

About 15 minutes later, Salon reached director-producer Roger Ross Williams by cell phone as he celebrated backstage with family and friends. We asked for his side of the story.

How did that happen?

WILLIAMS: Only one person is allowed to accept the award. I was the director, and she was removed from the project nearly a year ago, but she was able to still qualify as a producer on the project, and be an official nominee. But she was very angry -- she actually removed herself from the project – because she wanted more creative control.

But couldn't you decide ahead of time who would speak?

WILLIAMS: That was handled by the publicist for the academy. I don't know what they told her. The academy is very clear that only one person can speak. I own the film. She has no claim whatsoever. She has nothing to do with the movie. She just ambushed me. I was sort of in shock.

You seemed to run up there pretty fast. Didn't you see her coming up the aisle? What did you think was going to happen when she got there?

WILLIAMS: I just expected her to stand there. I had a speech prepared.

She claims she found the movie's story, that she brought it to you.

WILLIAMS: No, not at all. The truth is that she saw the band perform [in Zimbabwe], and told me about that, and then I opened up a dialogue with the [King George VI School & Centre for Children with Physical Disabilities] school and went on my own – which you would've heard about in my speech -- and spent $6,000 going to Africa shooting myself. And when people expressed interest in the film, I asked her to come on board. And then I regretted that decision. Then she sued.

It was quite a tussle. Does this diminish the Oscar at all?

WILLIAMS: Absolutely not. It's such a career achievement, to win an Academy Award. This is what the business is. There are times when there's disagreement and dispute and you always hope that people will rise up to the occasion. It doesn't diminish it. She disowns it and doesn't want any part of the film. I'm so proud of the movie .

OK, did your mother try and block her with her cane?

WILLIAMS: My mother got up to hug me. And my mother is 87 years old. She was excited.

What are people saying about it?

They're saying it looked like she pulled a Kanye.

WILLIAMS: She did! She pulled a Kanye. And it's a shame, because this is such positive, happy film.

http://www.salon.com/entertainment/movies/2010/03/07/music_by_prudence_burkett

Snowing Fan
Member Avatar

I noticed Farah Fawcett was left out of the tribute of celebrities that passed,she may have done mostly tv stuff,but she did do a few movies and Michael Jackson did one movie ''The Wiz'' and he was included.

Miley said it was her first time on the oscar stage,actually it's her third trip to the oscars.

Glade ''Hurt Locker'' won,its a very good film.
Edited by Snowing Fan, Mar 8 2010, 01:24 PM.

Drew
Member Avatar
Ewok

Fawcett, Bea Arthur, Ricardo Montalban. All forgotten. But we have to throw the obligitory Michael Jackson shot in there to appease his groupies. Even when he contributes nothing to the medium he's being memorialized in. :frustration:
Edited by Drew, Mar 8 2010, 02:19 PM.

Angie79
Member Avatar
Royal Reporter

I was wondering why Farrah was in there too.

That woman that took over and started talking during that acceptance speech seems like a total bitch. It was so rude of her.

I thought the woman that won the costume design was a bitch too. She started right out saying "I already have two of these...." Her whole speech sucked.

Angie79
Member Avatar
Royal Reporter

Academy Refuses to Apologize for Farrah Fawcett Snub
Today 11:09 AM PST by Whitney English and Ashley Fultz

We noticed it. You noticed it. Her friends noticed it. But apparently the powers that be weren't as clued in.

We're talking about Farrah Fawcett's omission from the In Memoriam segment at last night's Oscars, possibly the biggest snub of all at a ceremony that otherwise unfolded as expected.

"I would not say that it was an oversight," Leslie Unger, spokeswoman for the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, tells E! News. "No matter how carefully and how conscientiously people address who is included, there are people who just simply can't be."

But why was someone like Michael Jackson, with a far skimpier film résumé than Fawcett, whose film roles earned her both Golden Globe and Spirit Award nominations?

"In any given year there will always be some people that other people think should have been included and that there's more justification for one person versus another," says Unger. "It is impossible to include everybody."

Indeed, Bea Arthur and Ed McMahon, like Fawcett better remembered for their TV work than their movie roles, were also overlooked during the segment, which also included nods to Patrick Swayze, Brittany Murphy, Jean Simmons and Karl Malden.

"We were disappointed that she was not included," longtime companion Ryan O'Neal said through publicist Arnold Robinson.

"I think this is what Farrah struggled with her entire career," says Craig Nevius, Fawcett's close friend and producer of her documentary, Farrah's Story. "She struggled with respect and told me many times she felt she was put in a box.

"She loved television, and she was primarily a star on TV, but she was also a star on stage and film. You know, how you can discount Extremities [which earned her a Globe nom for Best Actress in a Drama], The Apostle [which earned her an Independent Spirit nom for Best Supporting Actress] and Dr. T and the Women, I don't know.

"I think it would be very big of them to own up to the mistake, but I also think it might set a dangerous precedent for them, which is why they probably won't do it," says Nevius of the Academy.

And it sounds like he's right.

"Every year there are many difficult decisions that have to be made and not everybody who passed during the year can be included," says Unger. "That's the unfortunate reality."

http://www.eonline.com/uberblog/detail.jsp?contentId=170673

Adam
Member Avatar

Classless, nothing else can possibly explain such a glarring snub. Also, the whole John Hughes thing dumbfounded me as well. He never was nominated for an Oscar, and yes he created alot of cultural phenomenons, but I mean.... a 8 minute tribute? A little much.

Miss Rhi
Member Avatar
"If Sami can't find happiness with a Martian, then she can't find happiness with anyone."

That's bullshit they include plenty of people in their "Memoriam" segments that aren't even actors, directors, producers and etc. I think they left her and the others out because to them they were "just" TV actors.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Primetime Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply