Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Peter Reckell update: Not working in February or March
Topic Started: Mar 8 2010, 01:42 PM (9,661 Views)
lysie
Member Avatar

I think one thing Days has done right has been pacing the exits/returns with the stories. I hate the stories, but anytime there's some kind of change in the cast in seems to work very well with how the stories are either dragging or gearing up. For example, when the DHs left the following week was when the babies were born and the baby switch happened. People tune in for babies being born generally, and that was the "start" of a big story that's just now seeing one of the babies make it home. That was good planning, IMO. Also, CC and LS came to the show right as some stories were winding down. So while the ratings normally would have been tapering off more, people tuned in to see them, and then the stories eventually picked back up (once any new or returning viewers had gotten the feel for what was going on). Again, I think the stories overall have blown...but the pacing has actually really worked in the show's favor, IMO.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Keith
Member Avatar

I agree about the show. The stories aren't the best, but technically speaking, the show appears better than its been in at least five years. It's more consistent. I actually enjoy the show, no matter what I feel about the stories. It's far from perfect, but lysie hit it right over the head: the pacing really has made the shoe when in the past it broke it. A lot.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

lysie
Mar 9 2010, 02:26 PM
I think one thing Days has done right has been pacing the exits/returns with the stories. I hate the stories, but anytime there's some kind of change in the cast in seems to work very well with how the stories are either dragging or gearing up. For example, when the DHs left the following week was when the babies were born and the baby switch happened. People tune in for babies being born generally, and that was the "start" of a big story that's just now seeing one of the babies make it home. That was good planning, IMO. Also, CC and LS came to the show right as some stories were winding down. So while the ratings normally would have been tapering off more, people tuned in to see them, and then the stories eventually picked back up (once any new or returning viewers had gotten the feel for what was going on). Again, I think the stories overall have blown...but the pacing has actually really worked in the show's favor, IMO.
Definitely. They played it very smart. It truly is all about the planning. If it were 2006-2008, it wouldn't have worked out that way.

sungrey

You get the feeling this writing team knows what it is doing. There will always be one perfect writer for me for Days, but I'll take Whitesell. He at least has a long-term vision and isn't afraid to shake the tree a little bit. Is every story perfect? No frickin' way... but it's good enough.

I guess I'm not sold on Tomlin as an EP all the way, but he appeared to be managing the budget a little better until this happened. And it's not even likely his fault. We'll never know who let PR's episode count get out of hand. :)

UKDaysFan
Member Avatar

sungrey
Mar 9 2010, 04:43 PM
You get the feeling this writing team knows what it is doing. There will always be one perfect writer for me for Days, but I'll take Whitesell. He at least has a long-term vision and isn't afraid to shake the tree a little bit. Is every story perfect? No frickin' way... but it's good enough.

I guess I'm not sold on Tomlin as an EP all the way, but he appeared to be managing the budget a little better until this happened. And it's not even likely his fault. We'll never know who let PR's episode count get out of hand. :)
Sorry, but I have to disagree with that statement.

In my opinion the writing has been all over the place. I'll try and give them the benefit of the doubt and say they may have a very clear storyboard and know where each is going, but this just doesn't translate for me into the detailed scripting.

IMO the standard of writing for the majority of characters is poor and the attention to detail sloopy. Just in the last week we've had Melanie's age been inferred over 20 and then told she's 18. Which is it? And don't get me started on the dialogue, which seems to be "cut and paste" and not even wholly on point quite often.

Maybe the writers spend too much time working on the bigger picture? :shrug: But for me, the devil really is in the detail and I think they're missing a lot of opportunities to tell the stories in a richer and more substantial way. As far as I'm concerned, they suck!

Halloween Family
Member Avatar

UKDaysFan
Mar 9 2010, 06:28 PM
sungrey

In my opinion the writing has been all over the place. I'll try and give them the benefit of the doubt and say they may have a very clear storyboard and know where each is going, but this just doesn't translate for me into the detailed scripting.

IMO the standard of writing for the majority of characters is poor and the attention to detail sloopy. Just in the last week we've had Melanie's age been inferred over 20 and then told she's 18. Which is it? And don't get me started on the dialogue, which seems to be "cut and paste" and not even wholly on point quite often.

Maybe the writers spend too much time working on the bigger picture? :shrug: But for me, the devil really is in the detail and I think they're missing a lot of opportunities to tell the stories in a richer and more substantial way. As far as I'm concerned, they suck!
I agree w/ a lot of what you are saying but at the same time it's all relative. The summer of 2008 was a hot holy fucking mess, Tomlin came along I think and now it's less of a mess with good days sprinkled in there. (When did they say Melanie was 18?)
Edited by Halloween Family, Mar 9 2010, 07:47 PM.

AlisonLou

UKDaysFan
sungrey

I agree with you on that! The stories are a mess! Right now the only sl that gets my interest is the Bo/Hope/Carly sl. And it's barely keeping my interest at the moment. The EJ/Sami/Rafe baby sl gets a little bit of my attention but only when it's good!
I don't like Melanie's crying lately it puts me off her sl and character!
The sl's are crap! And are dragging on too much to the point where people are getting bored! I feel like there should be some more action or drama! Bold and Y&R have better sl's at the moment. I don't see days overtaking them at all in the next 4 months especially when Peter isn't on screen!
The characters on this show are a mess! One minute they are becoming unrecognizable the next minute they are the characters we have grown to love. The actors and actresses seem to be having trouble lately understanding what is motivating their character to behave a certain way and do certain things. And that is not their fault. It's the directors fault.

Anyway back to the topic of this thread Peter should be on screen not off it for 2 months! What happens if it turns into more?
And when he comes back are they going to turn him into Roman who barely gets airtime as it is?
It just isn't right!

SocRMum1
Member Avatar
Much prefers sweevil, snarky EJ over Father Figure Fucktard Eejiot.

UKDaysFan
sungrey

:cheers: Great post!

Keith
Member Avatar

Oh, the day-to-day is inconsistent as my hair. But the overall picture and pacing has been markedly improved from past years, especially like lysie said with returns. Carly/Vivian actually felt planned.

dooldooldool

AlisonLou
Mar 9 2010, 08:21 PM
....Peter should be on screen not off it for 2 months! What happens if it turns into more? And when he comes back are they going to turn him into Roman who barely gets airtime as it is? It just isn't right!
It's economics. And negotiation. Clearly, an actor wants to work, and for more money. In the current environment, that means "episode guarantees". The producers want to minimize expenses, which means two choices: lots of episodes at a lower rate or fewer episodes at a higher rate. I do not understand why folks don't understand this.

Television is a business. It's not produced so viewers can lounge on the sofa and FF through scenes. It's not produced to support countless message boards. It's not produced to employ actors. It is produced to Make Money.

If an actor is in high demand, he will be more costly. PR tried to have a "career" outside DOOL. It fizzled. Like many other long-term performers, he recognized that he could have a solid, lengthy, productive, financially-rewarding career on daytime. And I imagine there were a few years when he didn't even appear in his guaranteed episodes, which in effect becomes getting paid for Not Working.

The economics of DOOL seem to be working for the show. I doubt other daytime shows are salivating at hiring away "Bo Brady". I also imagine that the PR family have banked away enough money to last for decades. A break from any character should be welcome. Just imagine the giddy wet-dream exclamations we would be reading if certain other actors (hack, hack, AS, hack, hack, MB) were given nice two-month breaks from our screens.

I think taking a "break" is part of good storytelling. I doubt this break was as "sudden" as it appears. The pointy-headed geeks running the show's finances probably keep the episode tally fresh in everyone's minds.

As for Josh Taylor's "Roman", it's been hinted that his contract is merely a result of his ongoing friendship with Mr Corday. I imagine he has an extremely low guarantee. He appeared 56 times in 2009. Smells like a one-ep-a-week-er to me.

sungrey

Hey guys, don't shoot me, I'm just the messenger. lol

Reilly didn't know what the hell he was doing (the second go-round, at least). Langan turned the show into Salem High Days. Hogan never got a chance (and no, he wasn't the writer I referred to in my initial post). This team at least has some sort of a vision. Compared to some writing teams we've had in the past, anyway. Whitesell and Higley aren't Pat Falken Smith, but they're not Black and Stern either. :)
Edited by sungrey, Mar 10 2010, 08:51 AM.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

AlisonLou
Mar 9 2010, 05:34 AM
Hey people!
Someone has started a petition for Peter to let the writers and TPTB know we want Peter to stay on the show!
Please feel free to sign!
http://www.petitiononline.com/KeepPPR/petition.html
I really doubt TPTB pay attention to online polls. They can be spammed.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

I think the soaps and the entertainment industry, like any other organization, is more worried about the dollar bottom line right now than experience. This seems so ironically reflective of school situations and school budgets, with highly qualified, experienced teachers being encouraged or shamed into retiring so younger teachers can be hired. And no reflection on anyone beginning, because I was in that state once, and my oldest child will be soon. However, sometimes, the bottom dollar is ALL that's considered, not loyalty and longevity. (Although, to be honest, PR did leave at one period. That was a couple of decades ago, almost). Honestly, sometimes, when someone is the person counting the beans, they don't consider the quality. They consider the bottom line.
The points about Carly (besides the one saying she is the sole reason for ratings increases) are good ones. And, really, I'm tired of Wally getting slammed. I love Wally. No, Justin is no Peter, but it's not as if Wally is some greenhorn. Same for Crystal.
In all honesty, I do not feel anyone of us with any certainty can say whether or not Peter will remain. We've already discovered that Tomlin will remove who he wants to remove. He saw that getting rid of the DHs really did no detriment to the ratings.
Would I miss Peter? Of course! But, we need to be realistic about the way things are right now. And I doubt that any on-line petition, or even letters, for that matter means anything if Tomlin has his mind made up. I hope Peter's back in a couple of months. But, right now, I honestly think bosses all over are not thinking human; they're thinking revenue and budgets.

AlisonLou

We'll the shows this week have been pretty boring and not worth watching. I've been reading the recaps and I've barely read them because the show is not interesting this week and pretty boring. Days are going downhill again. The ratings will start to slide. I feel this week Days has gone backwards. Peter is a huge asset to days. It's stupid stunts like these that can get a show cancelled.

sungrey

ladyofthelake
Mar 10 2010, 06:26 AM
I think the soaps and the entertainment industry, like any other organization, is more worried about the dollar bottom line right now than experience. This seems so ironically reflective of school situations and school budgets, with highly qualified, experienced teachers being encouraged or shamed into retiring so younger teachers can be hired. And no reflection on anyone beginning, because I was in that state once, and my oldest child will be soon. However, sometimes, the bottom dollar is ALL that's considered, not loyalty and longevity. (Although, to be honest, PR did leave at one period. That was a couple of decades ago, almost). Honestly, sometimes, when someone is the person counting the beans, they don't consider the quality. They consider the bottom line.
The points about Carly (besides the one saying she is the sole reason for ratings increases) are good ones. And, really, I'm tired of Wally getting slammed. I love Wally. No, Justin is no Peter, but it's not as if Wally is some greenhorn. Same for Crystal.
In all honesty, I do not feel anyone of us with any certainty can say whether or not Peter will remain. We've already discovered that Tomlin will remove who he wants to remove. He saw that getting rid of the DHs really did no detriment to the ratings.
Would I miss Peter? Of course! But, we need to be realistic about the way things are right now. And I doubt that any on-line petition, or even letters, for that matter means anything if Tomlin has his mind made up. I hope Peter's back in a couple of months. But, right now, I honestly think bosses all over are not thinking human; they're thinking revenue and budgets.
GREAT post. To which I say, see NBC and Jay Leno. ;)

cassie1013

AlisonLou
Hey people!
Someone has started a petition for Peter to let the writers and TPTB know we want Peter to stay on the show!
He's not leaving.

Why do people always jump off the deep end to save their faves?! So over the top.

fancyface78
Member Avatar

cassie1013
Mar 10 2010, 06:27 PM
AlisonLou
Hey people!
He's not leaving.

Why do people always jump off the deep end to save their faves?! So over the top.
No one said he was leaving...but it never hurts to show support for your faves as a proactive measure. I think the main point of the petition is to let TPTB know we support Peter... JMO!! :wave:

AlisonLou

Exactly! And I didn't start the petition someone else did! There is alot of people who respect Peter and don't want to see him off the show! The person who did the petition did it to show that there is support for Peter and to let the show know.

Q Steph
Member Avatar
Put your hands up for Obama

Just pay the man overtime.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

sungrey
Mar 10 2010, 06:21 PM
ladyofthelake
Mar 10 2010, 06:26 AM
GREAT post. To which I say, see NBC and Jay Leno. ;)
UGH! No one says they make SMART financials choices, LOL!

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
ZetaBoards gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.
Learn More · Sign-up Now
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply