Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Y&R Star to be...Captain America?; Actor is a contender to play comic superhero
Topic Started: Mar 9 2010, 11:32 PM (586 Views)
Nubia
Member Avatar
The Queen

Who wields the shield? 'Captain America' casting update

Posted Image

The answer of whom will hold Captain America’s shield and play alter ego Steve Rogers is still in Marvel’s hands, but the list of actors is being whittled down.

Wilson Bethel, who starred in HBO’s “Generation Kill” and currently appearing in “The Young and the Restless,” [as Ryder] is still in the running as is Mike Vogel, who appeared in “Cloverfield” and CBS’ “Miami Medical.”

Meanwhile, Chris Evans, currently shooting "Safety Point" in Texas, has read for the part and has a test offer which may come to fruition next week. Garrett Hedlund has not tested yet though Marvel is very keen on him.

Actors previously reported as testing including John Krasinski, Michael Cassidy, Chace Crawford, among others, are no longer on the list.

The part calls for a nine-picture deal, the second of which would be the “Avengers” movie. That project could start shooting as soon as January 2011.

Taking a shot on relative unknowns such as Bethel and Vogel is not out of the realm of possibility as many tentpoles and franchises are handing out the keys to up-and-comers. Paramount and J.J. Abrams took a chance on Chris Pine to play Capt. Kirk while James Cameron put his trust in Sam Worthington

source: THR.com
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

I absolutely LOVE Mike Vogel. I'm hoping he gets the part, considering I have no actual interest in these movies. LOL
Quote Post Goto Top

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

Even though I really dislike the state of Marvel these days and haven't picked up a Marvel comic in over 20 years (and have no plans to do so), I love Marvel's movies (yes, even Fantastic Four), so I'm eagerly awaiting Captain American and The Avengers movie which are set to come out next year. That said, I'm really amped for DC/Warner's 'Green Lantern' with Ryan Reynolds, Blake Lively, & Peter Sarsgaard.

alphanguy
Member Avatar

He better have enough goodies to fill those tights, that's all i got to say!

Kevc1980
Member Avatar

I prefer John Krasinski

Drew
Member Avatar
#bbuk

John Krasinski is the anti-Steve Rogers. If he were 10 years younger, he'd make an acceptable Bucky Barnes.

Vogel is my ideal choice, he's the best visual fit, and not bad in the acting dept given what these films will call for. He was good in Texas Chainsaw Massacre (especially his death scene) and Cloverfield. The Y&R dude .... eeh. He'd need to bulk up alot.

A 9 picture deal though? Um, wow. What could they need him in for that many pics? 3 Cap movies, 3 Avenger flicks .. what more?? I'd be shocked if Chris Evans went for that, he seems to be trying to do more than just "genre" roles and this would eat up a huge chunk of his time.

Drew
Member Avatar
#bbuk

Matt
Mar 9 2010, 11:42 PM
Even though I really dislike the state of Marvel these days and haven't picked up a Marvel comic in over 20 years (and have no plans to do so), I love Marvel's movies (yes, even Fantastic Four), so I'm eagerly awaiting Captain American and The Avengers movie which are set to come out next year. That said, I'm really amped for DC/Warner's 'Green Lantern' with Ryan Reynolds, Blake Lively, & Peter Sarsgaard.
It is ironic that DC has the overall better books compared to Marvel, but Marvel almost always out do them when it comes to the films. Other than the Nolan Bat flicks, and the first Superman movie they've all been clusterfucks.

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

Drew
Mar 10 2010, 01:30 AM
Matt
Mar 9 2010, 11:42 PM
It is ironic that DC has the overall better books compared to Marvel, but Marvel almost always out do them when it comes to the films. Other than the Nolan Bat flicks, and the first Superman movie they've all been clusterfucks.
Well, to be honest, the thing that really helps Marvel is that they formed their own move studio and actually have some sort of direct control over the product. DC's primary problem has always been that the films are produced by Warner Bros which is a subsidiary company of Time/Warner just like DC (I suppose you could consider the two companies step-siblings). DC has no control over Warner. Once the film rights go to Warner, Warner simply does what it wants to. Hopefully, with the reorganization of DC Comics as DC Entertainment (or whatever the exact title is now), there'll be more direct control over the product. I hear Green Lantern is going to be 3D and I've seen production design sketches of the aliens -- freaking wow. The Guardians look like the shit and Kilowog looks badass!

Drew
Member Avatar
#bbuk

The studio formation is new though. Sony and FOX were the driving forces behind the X-Men,Spider-Man, Fantastic Four and Daredevil franchises.

JDB

As long as it doesn't suck as bad as the first Cap film, it will at least be watchable. So -kind of- looking forward to it, and seeing who they finally cast.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create your own social network with a free forum.
« Previous Topic · General Daytime News · Next Topic »
Add Reply