Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
The Doctors Discussion
Topic Started: Mar 15 2010, 12:33 PM (6,420 Views)
Mason
Member Avatar

The Doctors
1963 - 1982

Discuss The Doctors here.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

This show never should have been canceled.
Quote Post Goto Top

Eric83
Member Avatar
"Relax nobody's having sex.... at least not yet"

Amello
Mar 15 2010, 12:35 PM
I would blame their cancellation on AW expanding to 90 minutes, and causing so much shifting in the NBC lineup. The show could have lasted longer had it not been for that.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

ga68153
Mar 15 2010, 08:27 PM
Amello
Mar 15 2010, 12:35 PM
I would blame their cancellation on AW expanding to 90 minutes, and causing so much shifting in the NBC lineup. The show could have lasted longer had it not been for that.
You shouldn't be blaming another show, IMO. Just the head of NBC daytime at that time who made such an idiotic decision.
Quote Post Goto Top

MichaelGL
Member Avatar
Sexy Jew

The show had the potential, a nice array of core characters and families.

Deleted User
Deleted User

MichaelGL
Mar 15 2010, 09:24 PM
Well it lasted for over 20 years, so I think you can safely assume it answered to it's potential, but as for a continued furture potential, then I very much agree with you. This soap, along with Search, Love of Life, Capitol, Santa Barbara, The Edge of Night, Where the Heart Is? (though I hate that title) and Ryan's Hope should have lasted longer, if not still be on the air today. (There may be some soaps I am forgetting on that list. And to be clear, Sunset Beach and Passions were left out ON PURPOSE! :)

Speaking of The Doctors, when the hell are YOU going to update The Heritage of Hope. I miss it!
Quote Post Goto Top

MichaelGL
Member Avatar
Sexy Jew

Amello
Mar 15 2010, 09:35 PM
MichaelGL
Mar 15 2010, 09:24 PM
Well it lasted for over 20 years, so I think you can safely assume it answered to it's potential, but as for a continued furture potential, then I very much agree with you. This soap, along with Search, Love of Life, Capitol, Santa Barbara, The Edge of Night, Where the Heart Is? (though I hate that title) and Ryan's Hope should have lasted longer, if not still be on the air today. (There may be some soaps I am forgetting on that list. And to be clear, Sunset Beach and Passions were left out ON PURPOSE! :)

Speaking of The Doctors, when the hell are YOU going to update The Heritage of Hope. I miss it!
Hehe, all I can say is good things come to those who wait. ;)

ImThatGirl

I was an avid fan of the Doctors, and have recently learned that the Hallmark Channel is going to resurrect the show -- does anyone know when it will begin airing? I heard 2009 and now I'm hearing later in 2010.

~bl~
Member Avatar

I never saw The Doctors, it went off the air before I was old enough to watch it. If the Hallmark channel thing ever happens, I do plan on watching the show. I wonder if they would start airing the episodes from the 60s or if they would start with more recent episodes.

*6Lee

The Doctors was uneven in the late 70's, but one very good storyline involved Sara Dancy's troubled marriage to Mike Powers. Mike was a straight arrow from a core family, a widower with a young son. Sara was the younger daughter of a more recent core family, the struggling Dancy's. The couple seemed well suited in values; Sara was certainly up to the task of being a stable stepmother. But their relationship lacked passion on Sara's part. She would not have a physical relationship with Mike during their engagement, supposedly to make their coupling more meaningful, but really because she could not cope with the prospect of being close with him. Sara's witheld the nature of the great physical love she had with a doctor in the Peace Corps. When Colin came to town, Sara's frustration grew stronger. Still, she went ahead with the wedding in July 1978. TD did a good job with this story arc- you saw the courtship play out over months and it was a real engagement- not like on many other soaps: there was a soapy engagement party (a fire broke out, killing Sara's mother), invitations, shower, etc. The wedding was in a church and a major event- sister Nola (Kathleen Turner) a scene-stealing matron of honor, an unmarried, teenage mother-to-be Greta Powers a bridesmaid- Carolee and MJ were possibly attendants as well. Stalwart Mike was well represented on his side. Sara bucked up and did well, one shot showed her and Mike walking in the door of their reception and a photographer snapping their picture.
Sara's anxieties soon became a reality. She was a nice person, a loyal sister, daughter and friend, but she just could not relate to her husband. She felt guilty and loathe to tell Mike-or anyone- the truth. Finally, after months, Mike physically fought with Colin in a nightclub. Back home with Sara, the argument boiled over. He challenged Sara's bad-boy attraction and acted that way himself. She was shocked to see her husband behave that way and frankly drawn to him. The credits rolled over the two of them post-sex, Sara curled up asleep on one side of the bed; Mike awake and looking sadly into space.
Who wrote this stuff? It was so good at times. If it were on now, I would immediately sit down and begin watching.

MichaelGL
Member Avatar
Sexy Jew

^Lee I read the much of the synopsis from magazines from that era on the show, and it seemed riveting to read.

The story itself seemingly was penned by three writing teams. Colin's arrival was penned by Ethel and Mel Brez. The story where Mike's anger towards his wife improved their love making, was penned by Linda Grover. Finally Nola's infidelity and questioning if the baby was Colin's or not was penned by Elizbaeth Levin and David Cherrill.

I remember being in awe by the triangle, because it didn't seem to be your typical soap triangle/affair of the heart storyline. Pair this with Colin falling for M.J., and Nola trying to stir the pot as well (uncertainty as to whether Jason or Colin was the father Jessica) it was all seemed like very good soapy drama. I only wish someone would upload episodes from that time on YouTube.

The show did seem to lose steam after this, with Sarah's untimely death, more focus on Luke, etc, etc.
Edited by MichaelGL, Sep 4 2010, 04:18 PM.

Grandpa Hughes
Member Avatar
"Dedicated to the brotherhood of healing. "

I remember those scenes and the actress playing Sara (whose name I forget) at the time was telling Nola about her improved sex life and accidentally laughed a little bit while making the speech and she even blushed a little! The show did flounder a bit after that but I'd still take most of the bad stuff from then over the stuff on today's soaps!

*6Lee

-Thanks for the writing credits. I never knew who penned it. There was such a turnover in writers on that show during the late 70's. I believe Douglas Marland created the Dancy's- they certainly had his "striving-family" flavor: brash father Barney ("Pop"), mother-keeping-everything-together Virginia, and varied children-ambitious Jerry, sensual Nola, sexy, bad boy Luke, good girl Sara, drug-addled Joan. They were interesting and seemed like people you might really know-supporting each other, but not infrequently at odds; rounded out character-wise. Nola was a contentious and self-absorbed diva, but there for her family in the clutch; Luke self-serving, but had strong shoulders when Sara or Nola sought him out at the Medicine Man, Barney blustery and outfoxed by his troubled children; Sara seethed with repressed passion.
-Once, Sara flashed back to her Peace Corps days and remembered an erotic encounter with Colin Wakefield- in a tent. You saw their shadows from outside.
-Dorothy Fielding was the second Sara and played the whole arc I recalled. Years later she appeared as Alison's mother on Melrose Place. DF had a very natural quality onscreen-similar to Catherine Hicks on Ryan's Hope. Impossible not to like.
-Nola had a drunken, adulterous fling with Colin. When husband Jason (Glenn Corbett, a fine soap actor, who had good chemistry with just about everyone) found out, he confronted Nola (Kathleen Turner). "We could have been good together!", he screamed at her, taking all of her dresses out of the closet and throwing them at her, one by one.
-Colin Wakefield got around. He also had an affair with MJ.
-Yes, Sara's death marked a turning point. The show was reasonably solid and some storylines really working. Mike and Sara had reams of good story potential with their rocky marriage. Suddenly, (new writers? It was that jarring)Sara was going to confront Colin in a hotel. She fainted in an elevator, the door opening and closing on her. She sat up in her hospital bed, looked at Mike and shivered. She was getting an ominous feeling- and so was the audience. Sara was dead within two weeks or so. What? This kind of thing was very vexing for viewers who wanted to be invested in the show.
-Nola was hysterical when her mother was killed in the fire at Sara's ill-fated engagement party. Kathleen Turner said she thought her acting was stellar at the time, but when she saw herself on-screen, realized she had gone over the top.
-I wish youtube would show episodes, too. One tiny clip they did show was the morning of Mike and Sara's wedding- Nola waking up, reveling in being matron of honor, being close with Jason.

MichaelGL
Member Avatar
Sexy Jew

Thanks so much for the info Lee, there is so little known about this little gem that is The Doctors. How long were you a viewer?

*6Lee

I soap hopped, but discovered The Doctors mid 78 or so. Sara died around August 1979, but I tried to keep with it-despite the writing/producing debacles. At one point you watched it at your own risk. You know, the frustration that accompanies wanting to be a viewer, offering your loyalty, but it not being returned or justified. Still, it was apparent The Doctors had a lot of inherent strengths:
Mona Aldrich was the classic, controlling matriarch and Meg Mundy played her to perfection. Characters like Mona were common in soap's glory days. Sometimes they were benevolent; other times they were terrors and Mona was one of the best- unshakably certain of right and wrong, always acting with moral certitude, a very formidable lady. She adored her handsome sons, attorney Jason and doctor Steve. No one was good enough for them. Millions of women have played that dynamic out for real, including Mona's daughter-in-laws, which made it an endless source of identifiable conflict- a story that never had to be resolved. Steve's wife Carolee was the suburban spouse viewers could idealize- warm, sympathetic, a 1970's earth mother. There was nothing objectionable about her, but Mona disapproved anyway (little did Mona know how good she had it until she drew Nola as the next in-law). She criticized Carolee's breeding, mothering, her wifely devotion, her career as a nurse. Carolee forbore Mona mightily; sometimes they united for a purpose and there was a truce; more often there were burrs in their relationship. Carolee could push back mightily and those scenes were glorious. Once, Carolee, stopped by to help with Nola, who was sequestered in her bedroom (after a drunken debacle). She and Mona were very civil; the elder woman grateful for the younger's concern. Then Mona noticed Carolee school notebook (she was taking a midwife course) and edgily asked if C was "still doing that". Carolee tried to impart the worth of what she was doing, but her mother-in-law was having none of it. Now Carolee was on the defensive, arguing that her children were "well taken care of". "Is that so?", Mona shot back frostily. She reminded Carolee that Erich had been acting out (setting a fire) and she strongly disapproved of Billy's teenage love affair- and impending fatherhood. Finally, Mona wondered if Carolee shouldn't just leave the "doctoring" to someone qualified- like Steve. Both actresses played countless variations of scenes like these- and they always brought it home. I wonder if they ever knew how much they were liked and appreciated. Jada Rowland grew up in front of daytime America- she had tremendous, in-born goodwill from her audience.

Grandpa Hughes
Member Avatar

She did indeed! I never thought the character would return unless the original actress, Carolee Campbell, returned! But Jada quickly made the role her own!

RogerNewcomb
Member Avatar

We did an interview with Sam McMurray about his guest appearance on the web series THEN WE GOT HELP! and he talked about having six month roles on Ryan's Hope and The Doctors. I didn't realize he had played a serial killer on The Doctors.
http://www.welovesoaps.net/2011/05/sammcmurray1.html

Grandpa Hughes
Member Avatar

I figured that this thread might start "popping" soon since RetroTV will be showing the series from the 1967 first color episodes on to, hopefully, the end of the show in 1982. I'm a little disappointed that we won't see the show from the beginning because I have some fond though vague memories of the earliest years. We won't see Maggie's sister, Nora, attempt to seduce Doctor Maggie's true love, Doctor Matt Powers. Or Maggie's nasty ,wheelchair bound second husband ,Kurt Van Allen, knocking over the Christmas tree in a rage while his wife tries to comfort their terrified and screaming infant daughter ,Greta. We'll miss Reverend Sam Shafer and his elderly housekeeper , Mrs Mcmurtrie , being held hostage at gunpoint in their home by a crazed drug addict or the romance between hospital chaplain Sam and Doctor Althea Davis. But we will see the steamy (for back then)
relationship between cool, sophisticated blond Althea and fiery Doctor Nick Bellini. The beginning of the unlikely but charming romance of playboy Doctor Steve Aldrich and plain, self deprecating nurse Carolee Simpson. The string of failed loves experienced by haunted young medic Mike Powers and the always troubled relationship he has with his upright and uptight father ,Chief Of Staff Matt Powers. Some quirky and fun supporting characters like custodian and aspiring doctor Jody Lee Bronson and wry ,warm,maternal lab tech Martha Allen. Plus some of the most memorable soap villains, neurotics and outright mad men who cross the paths of the staff at Hope Memorial Hospital. This show was one of the best written, acted and directed soaps of the 1960s and 70s, a serial aimed at a more sophisticated and adult soap audience. Unless of course my memory is clouded with nostalgia and I really don't believe that's the case. I will be watching this somehow for as long as it is being shown. Hopefully at least until the mid to late 1970s when it began to falter a bit but was still better than any current US soap on the air in the past 15 years if not more. Damn I'm excited.
Edited by Grandpa Hughes, Aug 13 2014, 08:49 PM.

jam6242
Member Avatar

I cannot wait for The Doctors to start airing. My earliest memories are probably from the late 60s. I was a child then so I'm excited about seeing it for the first time as an adult (not to mention, I could only see it previously when school was out). I would have liked to have seen the beginning too, especially to see Ann Williams (who was a favorite) playing Maggie. I stuck with The Doctors until the bitter end.

jam6242
Member Avatar

RetroTV has posted a promo on Facebook. My Nick Bellini being a hothead already, be still my heart! And that's Terry Kiser (Weekend at Bernie's, et al) playing the doctor who is fighting Nick. His character's name was John but I remember my mom, sister, & I calling him "Little Boy Doctor." Can't remember whether that was what he was called on the show or we came up with that ourselves. And every time I see him in anything that name still pops into my head, lol. I think the quality of the tape looks good too.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=902106763151309

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Soap Opera History & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply