Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Do they know something we don't?; Future of Days reference in Parade mag
Topic Started: Mar 15 2010, 04:37 PM (2,424 Views)
OneBadKitty
Member Avatar

Okay yes, it's Parade, but something caught my eye when someone wrote in and asked about Suzanne Rogers.

Parade magazine

At the end of the response was this:

Quote:

".....These are tough times for soap operas and Days may end it's 44-year run in September."

What do we make of this? Anything? :shrug:
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

I wouldn't.
Quote Post Goto Top

misch
Member Avatar

Wow. I wonder if will end with Alice's death and the parade of vets that will be brought in over the next 6 months to say goodbye. Wow.

Angie79
Member Avatar
Royal Reporter

I think they are just saying that since a renewal hasn't been offically announced yet. They wouldn't be having 45th anniversary plans going from summer through November if they show was ending in September.

lysie
Member Avatar

I'd think they're just going by the last official word.

dc cubs
Member Avatar

I read Parade yesterday as well. I don't think Parade has any inside sources at NBC. They are probably just speculating that Days may end since two soaps have recently been cancelled.

Also of note, Casey and Nadia were asked on Twitter recently if Days was ending in September. Both answered no. Crystal was asked about the Parade comment yesterday and her response was "I seriously doubt we're going anywhere for now..."

OneBadKitty
Member Avatar

Oh, so other people have already asked about it. No problem, I figured it had to be BS.

Case closed.

BradyB

They also already have the plans for the 45th anniversary tabletop hardbook book. So I really doubt they would be making that if Days was gonna get the boot.

dooldooldool

1. The affiliates need plenty of lead time to fill programming slots. That's one reason that Oprah announced her retirement so early (OK, yes, I know DOOL is no Oprah, ratings-wise). Even with a year-plus notice, stations are scrambling to fill that hour with what programming is out there. Other than the Dr Oz Show, there have been very few successful syndicated daytime programs launched lately. Two years ago, when Deal Or No Deal was so hot, I could have imagined DOOL being replaced by an NBC Daytime version of that. But even that program failed miserably in syndication.

2. NBC has had a devastating year in PrimeTime and LateNight. The only success they have is the 12-hour long Today Show (oops, I mean 4-hour). And that only works since they turned Hour Four into Regis And Kathie Lee v2.0, with Hoda playing curmudgeonly Regis. DOOL has had a ratings resurgence, so why would they slash that? And MSNBC is hardly the ratings juggernaut it thought it could be, way back during Election 2008, so doing even more hours of "daytime news" seems unlikely.

3. ABC has just admitted their ratings failure with OLTL. If NBC were to decide not to renew DOOL, I suspect Corday would be offered a deal with ABC/SoapNet. And NY-based OLTL would be cancelled and replaced with DOOL. Heck, even the CBS-Sony connection might come into play and DOOL could end up on CBS. There is no doubt that both CBS and ABC feel that they could "more successfully" market and promote DOOL than NBC ever has. As much as we all scorn and gag over Corday, it really helps that the show is not network- or advertiser-owned. By being nominally-independent, Corday Productions (and Sony) can take the show to other broadcast outlets.

I'll admit it's hugely unlikely, but wouldn't a nice surprise if NBC and Corday announced a new five-year deal that would guarantee a DOOL 50th. What a fitting tribute to Alice Horton that would be.
Edited by dooldooldool, Mar 15 2010, 06:00 PM.

kdmoma
Member Avatar

dooldooldool
Mar 15 2010, 05:59 PM
1. The affiliates need plenty of lead time to fill programming slots. That's one reason that Oprah announced her retirement so early (OK, yes, I know DOOL is no Oprah, ratings-wise). Even with a year-plus notice, stations are scrambling to fill that hour with what programming is out there. Other than the Dr Oz Show, there have been very few successful syndicated daytime programs launched lately. Two years ago, when Deal Or No Deal was so hot, I could have imagined DOOL being replaced by an NBC Daytime version of that. But even that program failed miserably in syndication.

2. NBC has had a devastating year in PrimeTime and LateNight. The only success they have is the 12-hour long Today Show (oops, I mean 4-hour). And that only works since they turned Hour Four into Regis And Kathie Lee v2.0, with Hoda playing curmudgeonly Regis. DOOL has had a ratings resurgence, so why would they slash that? And MSNBC is hardly the ratings juggernaut it thought it could be, way back during Election 2008, so doing even more hours of "daytime news" seems unlikely.

3. ABC has just admitted their ratings failure with OLTL. If NBC were to decide not to renew DOOL, I suspect Corday would be offered a deal with ABC/SoapNet. And NY-based OLTL would be cancelled and replaced with DOOL. Heck, even the CBS-Sony connection might come into play and DOOL could end up on CBS. There is no doubt that both CBS and ABC feel that they could "more successfully" market and promote DOOL than NBC ever has. As much as we all scorn and gag over Corday, it really helps that the show is not network- or advertiser-owned. By being nominally-independent, Corday Productions (and Sony) can take the show to other broadcast outlets.

I'll admit it's hugely unlikely, but wouldn't a nice surprise if NBC and Corday announced a new five-year deal that would guarantee a DOOL 50th. What a fitting tribute to Alice Horton that would be.
I have often thought that Days would try anything to get to 50. It would be quite a milestone. I think you are onto something here.

Alligato
Member Avatar

dooldooldool - you made me feel alot better. I also read that too, but doubted that Parade was anywhere near as plugged in as we were and we would have known if there has been some Days cancelling talk going on.

Eric83
Member Avatar
"Relax nobody's having sex.... at least not yet"

DAYS is safe for now. Nothing to worry about IMO.

Liz<3Days
Member Avatar

Quote:

I wonder, if this ever does happen, would NBC make AS quit? (Or AS stay on at NBC as the NBC spokesperson?) I know I shouldnt wish this option.....but OOOO the glasses of champagne I'll have if DAYS got picked up by either CBS or ABC and AS stayed at NBC!

rosered

Days is not ending in Sept, these are just crazy rumours.
I myself, asked Nadia on twitter, if Days was ending in Sept, and she said NO, Not True.
I noticed yesterday Casey and Allison also said this is not true. on twitter.
I would just ignore these crazy rumours, pretty sure Days will be renewed for another yr or 2!!
I think they should make an announcement soon of their renewel

:cheer:

dc cubs
Member Avatar

Judie the promo lady just tweeted this info.

Quote:

FYI...I saw a lot of posts on nbc.com from people quoting a news source saying that Days was finished in September...unequivocally not true!

In fact, it was an error on the part of the writer.
Edited by dc cubs, Mar 16 2010, 10:27 AM.

lysie
Member Avatar

It makes me sad that our confirmation for things lately has been coming from actors on the show that it would take time to play Six Degrees to the Horton Family with.

Keith
Member Avatar

Bad editing is bad.

Dr. Chip

I think the writer just mixed up "Days" with "As the World Turns."

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Is it really this hard to edit/fact check?

Ugh. Anyway, I wouldn't worry about Days, at least not until next March.

lastDays
Member Avatar

I think Parade got confused DOOL with ATWT

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply