Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
A chance to relive a summer story?; post on the sony board
Topic Started: Mar 17 2010, 03:22 PM (3,870 Views)
six
Member Avatar

Matt
Mar 22 2010, 11:04 AM
Personally, I'll take classic COD acting that "hasn't aged well" over Sami's hystrionics, Melanie's screeching, Rafe's monotone, and EJ's hand aerobatics any day of the week.
Hey, we all have our preferences. Some of the stuff today has been cringeworthy, and never having seen COD I can't say what it's like, but I've laughed and laughed through unintentionally funny "must see" clips, and cringed in classic scenes with actors everyone but me seems to love.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

lysie
Member Avatar

six
Mar 22 2010, 11:23 AM
Matt
Personally, I'll take classic COD acting that "hasn't aged well" over Sami's hystrionics, Melanie's screeching, Rafe's monotone, and EJ's hand aerobatics any day of the week.
Hey, we all have our preferences. Some of the stuff today has been cringeworthy, and never having seen COD I can't say what it's like, but I've laughed and laughed through unintentionally funny "must see" clips, and cringed in classic scenes with actors everyone but me seems to love.
I have a few of those myself, but I don't find it to be the norm for me. There's not a single episode anymore that I don't cringe at least part of the way through. Dang my loyalty to this stupid show!

lysie
Member Avatar

I've been thinking all along that the DiMera/Brady feud/Santeen crap would be the worst thing that could be picked, but actually...I think it might be the Film Noir. I liked it just fine, it was a great concept, and a pretty good story. But AS used that voice. I don't think I could handle having to hear it again. And while I realize it was just two episodes, I can see them using that as a cop out.

HJBJDJ

PhoenixRising05
Mar 22 2010, 02:22 AM
ilovemydays
Mar 22 2010, 02:15 AM
I wasn't watching back during the Cruise of Deception. It sounds awesome.

The only summer story I have enjoyed was Nicole's Film Noir daydream/pregnancy induced nightmare. The story in itself wasn't that great but it was, IMO, wonderfully executed.
I LOVED that but it wasn't really a story. It was two special episodes. I wouldn't mind seeing them again but at least Cruise of Deception goes way back to 1990. I still remember when Soapnet did that Bo and Hope marathon back in 2005 for Days' 40th anniversary and they showed the episode where Hope "died." I saw many people very intrigued and wanting to see more of what built up to that and the immediate aftermath. Hell, that story actually ties in to what is going on now at Days. Hope "dying" is what paved the way for Bo and Carly. It just makes so much sense on a number of levels to show that story.

Sadly, the show chose the wrong forum to go about this because now we are likely going to get Santeen or the 2007 vendetta story.
If they show the whole episodes, it would inchlude Carly's first scene. Justin and Adrienne's honeymoon was the same time. Everyone left for the cruise the day after Justin and Adrienne's wedding (second).
Then everyone could see that last time around Carly came to town with secrets to ruin everyones lives as well. She is SOoo the same old Carly to me. Never did really like her. She creates huge messes for everyone and always end up being totally forgiven by everyone for all the crap she puts everyone through. Sorry, didn't mean to go off on a tangent. :)

And in case there is anyone who does like Stephanie out there, Steve and Kayla would be on with baby Stephanie.

Anyone remember how Cruise of Deception had their own little promo type things.. the annoucer would say Day 3 Cruise of Deception and give a little hint what was going to be happening that day.

six
Member Avatar

lysie
Mar 22 2010, 11:26 AM
six
Mar 22 2010, 11:23 AM
Matt
I have a few of those myself, but I don't find it to be the norm for me. There's not a single episode anymore that I don't cringe at least part of the way through. Dang my loyalty to this stupid show!
IKWYM about today. I haven't watched huge amounts of old clips but anything before a certain era usually doesn't resonate with me the way it was supposed to.

I really hope they don't do the film noir, since we've already seen it twice on air. I did like the self contained arc about Stefano returning, but am still hoping they won't choose anything we could all easily find and download ourselves.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

lysie
Mar 22 2010, 10:36 AM
six
Mar 22 2010, 10:34 AM
lysie
Mar 22 2010, 10:28 AM

Quoting limited to 3 levels deepsome familiarity. If it's stuff we just saw live, what's the point?
I'll repost what I edited in:

I'm not saying they shouldn't show it (I voted for it), but a lot of soap acting hasn't really aged well, and might not pull in new people as much as something more recent would. If you saw it the first time around, and you're still watching now, you're pretty much hooked.

I think they're more likely to upload the summer island story. You have kids, some of whom are still around and it's an "old" story with a modern enough feel not to turn off the newer viewer.
Ah. I don't think there's any chance of pulling anyone in from this, lol. It's just going to be online, right? The only people watching are going to be Days fans anyway.
I agree with that. Yes, Days has brought in new viewers but how many of them are going to want to sit and watch something that already played out? Die-hard fans will and I think that is what this may be for. It's not like Days is going to air this live in place of the show for a few weeks. It's going to be put online and you choose whether you want to watch it or not. My feeling is they may already have some sort of idea in mind as to what they want to show and that it will have something to do with something coming up. I've noticed things like that have happened before.

I don't think this whole thing is about bringing in new viewers. I think the goal may be to remind viewers of a certain story or this may just be what it is on the surface...a neat feature to relive a good story. Days has done things like that before for both reasons. I believe they posted clips of Steve and Kayla's love story right before Steve and Kayla's return, for example. I've seen them do this numerous times.

And why go for something recent? There really isn't anything to go for. The Nicole film noir episodes, as good as they are, are not a story. They are two episodes. What good is reliving the 2007 Vendetta story? That would be a pain for the show to put up. That story started in May and went all the way into January of the following year. I could see them going with the EJ/Sami 2006 summer but I don't even know about that because it really wasn't a story as much as the starting point of one.

As far as complete summer stories that played out over a few months, they could go with alot of things from the 80's. The more I think about it the more I think they will go with Oak Alley to tie in with Bo and Hope's story somehow because I wonder if the show will deliberately steer clear of all things Steve/Kayla and John/Marlena (which would rule out other choices like Paris, Captive Island, and maybe even COD). Tropical Temptation is the only other complete summer story they could go with that is still self-contained enough but there is no one except for Chloe, Philip, and Brady (who has been recasted) left from that story and out of those three Philip is the only one who was on the island the whole time so why bother with that? No matter what the show does, the story will involve people no longer with the show so I don't think that matters in the scheme of things.

So, my thinking is we will see something out of the 80's, something that ties in with some of the upcoming returns or the Bo/Hope story. We'll see if I'm right LOL. I'm really hoping for COD though.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

HJBJDJ
Mar 22 2010, 11:45 AM
PhoenixRising05
Mar 22 2010, 02:22 AM
ilovemydays
Mar 22 2010, 02:15 AM
I wasn't watching back during the Cruise of Deception. It sounds awesome.

The only summer story I have enjoyed was Nicole's Film Noir daydream/pregnancy induced nightmare. The story in itself wasn't that great but it was, IMO, wonderfully executed.
I LOVED that but it wasn't really a story. It was two special episodes. I wouldn't mind seeing them again but at least Cruise of Deception goes way back to 1990. I still remember when Soapnet did that Bo and Hope marathon back in 2005 for Days' 40th anniversary and they showed the episode where Hope "died." I saw many people very intrigued and wanting to see more of what built up to that and the immediate aftermath. Hell, that story actually ties in to what is going on now at Days. Hope "dying" is what paved the way for Bo and Carly. It just makes so much sense on a number of levels to show that story.

Sadly, the show chose the wrong forum to go about this because now we are likely going to get Santeen or the 2007 vendetta story.
If they show the whole episodes, it would inchlude Carly's first scene. Justin and Adrienne's honeymoon was the same time. Everyone left for the cruise the day after Justin and Adrienne's wedding (second).
Then everyone could see that last time around Carly came to town with secrets to ruin everyones lives as well. She is SOoo the same old Carly to me. Never did really like her. She creates huge messes for everyone and always end up being totally forgiven by everyone for all the crap she puts everyone through. Sorry, didn't mean to go off on a tangent. :)

And in case there is anyone who does like Stephanie out there, Steve and Kayla would be on with baby Stephanie.

Anyone remember how Cruise of Deception had their own little promo type things.. the annoucer would say Day 3 Cruise of Deception and give a little hint what was going to be happening that day.
That is why I think that story is exactly something they are shooting for. It's the one story of all the summer stories that involves many familiar characters (Julie, Victor, Hope, Bo, and some side stuff with Carly, Justin, and Adrienne if they show the whole episodes) and some who are about to return (Jennifer, maybe Jack). Yes, there is the Roman/Isabella confusion but no matter what you show people will be confused with all the cast turnover over the years. And, as I said, the bulk of those who watch this are likely fans who have watched for long enough anyway to understand or are online enough to ask about something or research it themselves.

COD, Oak Alley, and MAYBE EJ/Sami 2006 (not sure it's self-contained enough) are the only three I think are good enough in terms of tying in with current stories and being far enough removed to enjoy them again.

Sindacco
Member Avatar

You're all missing the point. Sony is gonna post clips or episodes on their website, kind of like they did in 2007 with classic DiMera clips. Because of that it doesn't matter if

1. TPTB want to attract a younger audience.
2. Actors aren't on the show anymore.

Because it has nothing to do with the actual show on TV. At least that's how I see it after reading the little information we have.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Sindacco
Mar 22 2010, 02:12 PM
You're all missing the point. Sony is gonna post clips or episodes on their website, kind of like they did in 2007 with classic DiMera clips. Because of that it doesn't matter if

1. TPTB want to attract a younger audience.
2. Actors aren't on the show anymore.

Because it has nothing to do with the actual show on TV. At least that's how I see it after reading the little information we have.
Exactly.

six
Member Avatar

This is my first time hearing about them putting classic Dimera clips online. If they have a track record of doing that for the fans, then maybe COD does have a chance (assuming it gets the votes). I was looking at this as another form of advertisement (like a 'see the beginnings' of the characters who are around now) and not as a gift to the long term fans.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

six
Mar 22 2010, 02:30 PM
This is my first time hearing about them putting classic Dimera clips online. If they have a track record of doing that for the fans, then maybe COD does have a chance (assuming it gets the votes). I was looking at this as another form of advertisement (like a 'see the beginnings' of the characters who are around now) and not as a gift to the long term fans.
Not sure it could've ever been about seeing the beginnings of characters who are around now when many of them are fairly recent additions to the cast and many of them weren't featured in a summer story per se. EJ and Sami are really the only ones who fit the bill unless they wanted to go Oak Alley, which is where Bo and Hope came together truly as a couple.

lysie
Member Avatar

Which DiMera clips did they use?

six
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Mar 22 2010, 02:32 PM
six
Not sure it could've ever been about seeing the beginnings of characters who are around now when many of them are fairly recent additions to the cast and many of them weren't featured in a summer story per se. EJ and Sami are really the only ones who fit the bill unless they wanted to go Oak Alley, which is where Bo and Hope came together truly as a couple.
They'll never get to use a story with all of the people, but that's why I could see them showing episodes that have to do with the kids finding the ruby. Shelle is gone, but we had phloe, the beginnings of broe, with Chloe dealing with what happened to her adoptive parents and being given away (which could tie into giving her some reasons for disliking Carly). If they show full episodes, you also had Bo, Hope, Lexie, and Abe who were just starting to unravel their baby switch. I think Nicole had a big role in it all too, didn't she? Didn't she kill Paul around that time?
Edited by six, Mar 22 2010, 02:51 PM.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

six
Mar 22 2010, 02:51 PM
PhoenixRising05
six
They'll never get to use a story with all of the people, but that's why I could see them showing episodes that have to do with the kids finding the ruby. Shelle is gone, but we had phloe, the beginnings of broe, with Chloe dealing with what happened to her adoptive parents and being given away (which could tie into giving her some reasons for disliking Carly). If they show full episodes, you also had Bo, Hope, Lexie, and Abe who were just starting to unravel their baby switch. I think Nicole had a big role in it all too, didn't she? Didn't she kill Paul around that time?
Right but that version of Shelle may not be recognizable to people. Not to mention Broe wasn't even a part of that island story until the end. They were getting closer in Salem. Sure, they could show the full episodes and show all that but Brady has been recasted. Philip was on the island with Shelle and didn't interact at all with Chloe until he woke up in the hospital from his coma after the island story was over. Nicole got involved at the end when her, Victor, Brady, and Chloe went to Puerto Rico to help save the teens.

I think it would all be more confusing then any of the other stories and it wasn't exactly a story that went over well. Days' ratings plummeted. It's not like it really has any ties to the current canvas beyond Phloe but they are merely friends now. Chloe and Brady barely interact now and he's played by someone else. Nicole and Victor aren't together. Belle and Shawn got recasted twice and are no longer around.

I guess the same probably exist either way but given all the upcoming returns of 80's and 90's characters, I would try to go with something that would educate fans on those characters or go with something along those lines.

Sindacco
Member Avatar

lysie
Mar 22 2010, 02:33 PM
This was back in May/June 2007 when Stefano and Tony came back. So Sony posted some classic DiMera clips on their site.

Those I remember being posted were:
- Tony and Andre fight/Andre dies in the quicksand (1984)
- Stefano hypnotize RoJohn/Stefano taunts Diane (1988)
- Tony pretend being blind (1994)
- Tony kills himself in Aremid (1995)
- John sees Marlena and Stefano through visual goggles (1996)
- Stefano thinks back to creating Elvis with Susan (1997)
- Tony DiMera returns to Salem during John and Marlena's party at Penthouse Grill (2002)

lysie
Member Avatar

Sindacco
Mar 22 2010, 03:48 PM
lysie
Mar 22 2010, 02:33 PM
This was back in May/June 2007 when Stefano and Tony came back. So Sony posted some classic DiMera clips on their site.

Those I remember being posted were:
- Tony and Andre fight/Andre dies in the quicksand (1984)
- Stefano hypnotize RoJohn/Stefano taunts Diane (1988)
- Tony pretend being blind (1994)
- Tony kills himself in Aremid (1995)
- John sees Marlena and Stefano through visual goggles (1996)
- Stefano thinks back to creating Elvis with Susan (1997)
- Tony DiMera returns to Salem during John and Marlena's party at Penthouse Grill (2002)
I don't remember that at all!

Drew
Member Avatar
#bbuk

Sindacco
Mar 21 2010, 10:48 AM
What the fuck is wrong with those on Soapcity, lol. This is a chance to get Sony to post some classic clips or episodes and almost everyone there post shit about Santeen and the vendetta.

Because there is an active campaign on right now.

Sindacco
Member Avatar

Well someone must have downloaded them and later uploaded to Youtube because it's the same clips with the same titles.

Here they are:

Kenny
Member Avatar

Sindacco
Mar 22 2010, 03:59 PM
That was such a great scene! (Minus the flimsy wall, LoL)

six
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Mar 22 2010, 03:43 PM
six
Mar 22 2010, 02:51 PM
PhoenixRising05

Quoting limited to 3 levels deep
Right but that version of Shelle may not be recognizable to people. Not to mention Broe wasn't even a part of that island story until the end. They were getting closer in Salem. Sure, they could show the full episodes and show all that but Brady has been recasted. Philip was on the island with Shelle and didn't interact at all with Chloe until he woke up in the hospital from his coma after the island story was over. Nicole got involved at the end when her, Victor, Brady, and Chloe went to Puerto Rico to help save the teens.

I think it would all be more confusing then any of the other stories and it wasn't exactly a story that went over well. Days' ratings plummeted. It's not like it really has any ties to the current canvas beyond Phloe but they are merely friends now. Chloe and Brady barely interact now and he's played by someone else. Nicole and Victor aren't together. Belle and Shawn got recasted twice and are no longer around.

I guess the same probably exist either way but given all the upcoming returns of 80's and 90's characters, I would try to go with something that would educate fans on those characters or go with something along those lines.

I don't think recasts matter much when you know who the character is supposed to be, except in cases like John/Roman or nuRoman/guy he played before, where the actor has been in two prominent roles on the same show. Especially in the joman case since there ended up being a whole story based around it. As I said earlier, I already went over and cast my vote for COD, but idk if it has much of a chance, even if people weren't clamoring for santeen.
Edited by six, Mar 22 2010, 05:28 PM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply