Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
SOW:Rafe Closes in on Anna - and EJ!; March 30th issue; article summary
Topic Started: Mar 18 2010, 02:13 PM (5,587 Views)
six
Member Avatar

Livie
Mar 18 2010, 03:12 PM
I have always wondered just exactly what is it that says the adoption papers were not legal? I have looked up several legal sites and asked if there is any law that says a woman has to inform the father of a child that she is pregnant. There is no LEGAL requirement, unless you are trying to get child support. As to moral requirements, from what this Ej has been like, I would give Sami a pass on that as well.

That being said, anyone can go to Nolo Press and get papers to file for adoption. Rafe did not need to get any illegal papers, this is just silly writing or silly supposition, as I do not remember this ever being said that Rafe had done anything illegal.

Once you fill out papers you go to the court and get them approved and filed. Rafe needed Sami's permission, and I think she gave it to him without reservation.

Grace was baptised under her mother's maiden name, so I do not even think there is an issue of a false birth certificate either.

Rafe and Sami did not do anything ILLEGAL, and it was never processed anyway.
For one thing, the papers would've been false because Sami was adopting a child who was actually hers, and you aren't allowed to submit false legal documents.

For another, according to some states, if the baby is conceived in a marriage, the baby is automatically legally the child of the husband, even if the marriage is invalid, so EJ already had rights to Sydney/Grace, that Sami attempted to take away from him.

As for Rafe, if he's going to suspect EJ, he should realize that there's a good chance that EJ's not over their scam, and being wronged by them.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Halloween Family
Member Avatar

Great points six!

Paxton
Member Avatar
Dreaming of a Melanie-free Days

IMissAremid
Mar 18 2010, 03:20 PM
Sami trusted EJ to keep Johnny safe the whole time she was in WP.

And that was stupid. The only way it was rationalized at all--and I think it was on the boards, not the show itself--was that Sami had given up on Johnny because EJ knew about him, indeed had been ordered to create him, and there really was nothing she could do at this point to prevent EJ from enforcing his parental rights. Once the show decided to gloss over the circumstances of Johnny's conception and have Sami agree that EJ would share custody any subsequent plan of Sami's to keep a child from him was going to look strange.

But, it really doesn't matter. I mean, we know what EJ's motive was for kidnapping Sydney and just because Rafe and Sami are not putting together the pieces now doesn't mean they won't eventually, at which point somebody's going to have to say the magic words, "Hey, EJ did to Safe what they tried to do to him." Or something similar. I don't know how else it will be explained, unless they just decide to pull a Lucas-in-the-freezer-truck and pretend it never happened.

lysie
Member Avatar

six
Mar 18 2010, 03:24 PM
Livie
I have always wondered just exactly what is it that says the adoption papers were not legal? I have looked up several legal sites and asked if there is any law that says a woman has to inform the father of a child that she is pregnant. There is no LEGAL requirement, unless you are trying to get child support. As to moral requirements, from what this Ej has been like, I would give Sami a pass on that as well.

That being said, anyone can go to Nolo Press and get papers to file for adoption. Rafe did not need to get any illegal papers, this is just silly writing or silly supposition, as I do not remember this ever being said that Rafe had done anything illegal.

Once you fill out papers you go to the court and get them approved and filed. Rafe needed Sami's permission, and I think she gave it to him without reservation.

Grace was baptised under her mother's maiden name, so I do not even think there is an issue of a false birth certificate either.

For one thing, the papers would've been false because Sami was adopting a child who was actually hers, and you aren't allowed to submit false legal documents.

For another, according to some states, if the baby is conceived in a marriage, the baby is automatically legally the child of the husband, even if the marriage is invalid, so EJ already had rights to Sydney/Grace, that Sami attempted to take away from him.

As for Rafe, if he's going to suspect EJ, he should realize that there's a good chance that EJ's not over their scam, and being wronged by them.
Did they actually submit adoption papers for Sami, though? I know they did for Rafe, but I can't remember if they did for Sami.

SocRMum1
Member Avatar
Much prefers sweevil, snarky EJ over Father Figure Fucktard Eejiot.

six
Livie

Exactly. The fact that Sami was falsely claiming to have adopted the baby in the first place is a big part of the problem.

And I don't know...I have a hunch the FBI would frown on one of their agents drawing up false/fraudulent adoption papers in just about any circumstance. :unsure:

shytstarter
Member Avatar

Quote:

The only way it was rationalized at all--and I think it was on the boards, not the show itself--was that Sami had given up on Johnny because EJ knew about him, indeed had been ordered to create him, and there really was nothing she could do at this point to prevent EJ from enforcing his parental rights.
I believe Sami actually did say aloud on the show that it was too late for her to save Johnny but she could protect her latest and greatest spawn from the Dimeras. Nice.

Livie

lysie
Mar 18 2010, 03:28 PM
six
Livie

Did they actually submit adoption papers for Sami, though? I know they did for Rafe, but I can't remember if they did for Sami.
What I got out of what was on screen was that Sami was faking that she was adopting the baby, but for every other record, birth certificate, baptismal certificate, she was listed as the real mother, so no need to do any adoption paperwork for her, only for Rafe.

As to Ej having parental rights due to marriage, that at least sounds reasonable. It is unreasonable to me to call Rafe an illegitimate FBI agent for "illegal" adoption papers.

What always made me pause was why Ej was so stupid he did not even think that Sami would have done this, he knew her history. He did not seem that interested in the fact that Sami all of a sudden finds a way to adopt a child.

Eric83
Member Avatar
"Relax nobody's having sex.... at least not yet"

I hope Rafe doesn't figure out everything, I want Nicole to do that so she can give EJ hell.

Paxton
Member Avatar
Dreaming of a Melanie-free Days

Livie
Mar 18 2010, 03:35 PM
What always made me pause was why Ej was so stupid he did not even think that Sami would have done this, he knew her history. He did not seem that interested in the fact that Sami all of a sudden finds a way to adopt a child.
When Sami told him about Grace he had to be reminded that they'd had sex roughly nine months prior to Grace's birth. Particularly curious in light of the retconning the show did that EJ had sex with Sami and Nicole within a day or so of each other. Knowing how he has a gift for knocking up the ladies with one shot you'd think this thought might have crossed his mind that maybe it was Sami's own baby.

IMissAremid
Member Avatar
After all... tomorrow is another day!

Livie

Drawing up fraudulent adoption papers is absolutely ILLEGAL, whether the show recognized it or not. A woman does not have to tell a man she is pregnant before giving birth for obvious reasons, like female reproductive freedom. But once that child is born, the biological father HAS RIGHTS.

Rafe and Sami had papers drawn up with the intention of falsifying Grace's parentage and I believe those were filed with Grace's original birth certificate when Sami first came back to Salem with the baby she claimed to everyone in town that she had adopted. Then subsequent to that they drew up additional phony papers to grant Rafe rights to the child, all the while they schemed to stomp all over the parental rights of EJ, without his consent.

Just because Rafe got Sami's permission as a mother for the scheme does not make their scheme LEGAL. And btw, according to this clip at around the 4 minute mark, Rafe claimed to have the papers notarized (which means he swore before a notary public that all he had said was true, when he knew it wasn't. That's ILLEGAL!) and claimed the adoption was then in "the state's hands."

So obviously he filed the paperwork.

Also, a religious baptism ceremony has nothing to do with the legality behind a birth certificate.
Edited by IMissAremid, Mar 18 2010, 03:46 PM.

six
Member Avatar

lysie
six
Livie

I don't remember, but if Sami actually allowed herself to be listed on the birth certificate as the bio mom, when Grace was born so close to Salem, and therefore to Stefano and EJ's influence, she has a few screws loose. That stuff being a matter of public record and all.

lysie
Member Avatar

six
Mar 18 2010, 03:45 PM
lysie
six

Quoting limited to 3 levels deep
I don't remember, but if Sami actually allowed herself to be listed on the birth certificate as the bio mom, when Grace was born so close to Salem, and therefore to Stefano and EJ's influence, she has a few screws loose. That stuff being a matter of public record and all.
It seems like there was something, other than a lack of the biological father's name, off about the birth certificate, too.

IMissAremid
Member Avatar

lysie
Mar 18 2010, 03:47 PM
six
lysie

It seems like there was something, other than a lack of the biological father's name, off about the birth certificate, too.
It was a "FALSE birth certificate" according to Sami.

She discusses it around the 5:55 mark of this clip along with her suspicions that Rafe was planning all along to adopt her kid because of all he did to draw up the phony paperwork from the get-go.

lysie
Member Avatar

shytstarter
Mar 18 2010, 03:30 PM
Quote:

The only way it was rationalized at all--and I think it was on the boards, not the show itself--was that Sami had given up on Johnny because EJ knew about him, indeed had been ordered to create him, and there really was nothing she could do at this point to prevent EJ from enforcing his parental rights.
I believe Sami actually did say aloud on the show that it was too late for her to save Johnny but she could protect her latest and greatest spawn from the Dimeras. Nice.
She did say that.

As for that defense coming from the boards, Sami didn't spell it out exactly like that. I mean, she didn't say "I am hiding this child and not my other DiMera child because of a. b. and c." But it was all over her dialogue any time she talked about Stefano and the baby she was pregnant with. Her issue with that baby was not wanting him to even know about it. I think she's a horrible mother who can only focus on one child at a time, but it also just so happens that her argument for hiding Grace/Sydney wouldn't have worked for Johnny anyway.

lysie
Member Avatar

IMissAremid
Mar 18 2010, 03:51 PM
lysie
Mar 18 2010, 03:47 PM
six

It was a "FALSE birth certificate" according to Sami.

She discusses it around the 5:55 mark of this clip along with her suspicions that Rafe was planning all along to adopt her kid because of all he did to draw up the phony paperwork from the get-go.

I can't watch it right now, but I wonder if it had another woman's name on it or if it was false so it didn't have to be filed. Rafe got it for her, yes?

IMissAremid
Member Avatar

Sami just says it was a FALSE birth certificate and thanks Rafe for getting it/taking care of it for her.

Livie

re the clip. Thank you for that, it was something I had never seen, and it really shows how great this couple is together. I was mesmerized by how the scene played, but I still did not see or hear anything other than Sami saying she wondered how they could go to court and not have everyone find out she was the real mother. To me, that meant they would have to show the actual birth certificate or baptismal certificate since Sami obviously had no adoption papers, since she did not adopt Grace.

As to a birth father having rights, that is up to the mother if she chooses to acknowledge him, thereby giving him a chance to exercise said rights.

FYI to anyone who may be in this type of dilemma, do not put the fathers name on the birth certificate unless you want to have to get his permission for adoption in the future.

Sami did not, so unless EJ managed to find his brain and calendar in the same desk drawer and went to her and demanded to see how she got Grace, Sami was not in any danger, and probably not doing anything illegal either as the scene played out.

Just re-listened. False birth certificate, well, I guess it could have shown that Rafe did that awful deed. Thanks for the scene again, god, they were good.
Edited by Livie, Mar 18 2010, 04:12 PM.

Keisha
Member Avatar
♥ Sabrina & Patrick ♥

thanks, hope he find out everything and tell sami.

Liz<3Days
Member Avatar

PARTY IN SANTO DOMINGO! LOL

GO RAFE GO!

EJ can stay home and talk to his current BFFs- Theo, Johnny and Syd!LOL

Kiren
Member Avatar
Some people are alive only because itís illegal to kill them.

At least the story's moving along. Love it, so what will Sami be doing while Rafey's away?

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply