Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
What's Going On at Y&R? (MAB Interview); SOD Article Summary
Topic Started: Mar 19 2010, 02:55 AM (4,442 Views)
Kenny
Member Avatar

Please link to DR only. Thank you! :)

What's Going On at Y&R?

In this week's issue of Soap Opera Digest, Maria Arena Bell talks about the recent casting changes at Y&R.

In just the last two months, William Russ was fired as Tucker McCall and Stephen Nichols was hired to take his place, Eden Riegel has been hired to replace Vail Bloom as Heather, and now Marcy Rylan has been snatched up to take over the role of Abby, formerly played by Hayley Erin.

Maria Bell denies that these recent casting decisions have been made to generate publicity for the show. She says that these actors (Nichols, Riegel, Rylan) all have proven track records and they simply fit the roles they were hired for. She also acknowledges that they have loyal fans and she hopes those fans will enjoy seeing their favorite actors working in daytime again.

Maria promises that Heather will be taken in a "new direction" with Riegel in the role. She says Vail Bloom was a great actress, but she thinks Eden Riegel will bring a "different texture" to the character in a very exciting way. "Heather was wronged by Adam in a dramatic way," explains MAB. "We'd like to see her emerge and have her changed by those experiences. This is a great time to take the character in a whole new direction. It may be a tough sell, but I think Eden is going to own this role and be terrific."

Maria says the fact that Eden Riegel and Elizabeth Hendrickson were a popular lesbian couple on All My Children never factored into her decision to hire Riegel. "Eden was a long time coming. She's such a great actress, but I didn't do this with the idea in mind of seeing her in scenes with Elizabeth. They will certainly be playing opposite each other though, as well as other people."

As for the role of Abby, MAB says she loved Hayley Erin, but "it's tricky to tell a sophisticated story with her because she's just a teenager." MAB loves that Abby is half Abbott/half Newman and she promises that Marcy Rylan will encompass the characteristics of both families in a great way. "She will be the catalyst for lots of explosive, great story."

When it comes to Tucker, MAB says it was easier to recast that role because William Russ hadn't been in the role for long before Stephen Nichols took over. She says the audience hadn't grown attached to William Russ so it made the transition much less jarring. The reason for the recast? MAB claims they wanted to make the character more romantic and Stephen was the right man for the job.

With all these casting changes, does this mean we can expect to see even more upheaval in the coming weeks and months on Y&R? "You never know," giggles MAB. "We like to keep you guessing!"

Stay tuned...
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Manny
Member Avatar

Yawn...

Thanks, Kenny! ;)

Drew
Member Avatar
#bbuk

What a load of horse shit.

Its difficult to tell sofisticated stories because she's a teenager. Fuck off! GH is doing an abuse story right now with a girl only 17 years old, not to even mention all the many trailblazing stories teens have done in daytime in the past. She's just too weak a writer to be able to do it herself.
Edited by Drew, Mar 19 2010, 03:21 AM.

Manny
Member Avatar

The "she's too young/teens can't have good stories" is really a stupid excuse.. And coming from someone on Y&R is even funnier, considering they did some of the best teen stories ever.. Now, if Haley Erin could ACT out good material or not is something else... I say she couldn't.. I don't think she is a good actress. But they could have recasted her with another teen actress and do a good teen storyline, rather than aging her so much.
Edited by Manny, Mar 19 2010, 03:25 AM.

cassie1013

Zzzz.

Someone needs to get a handle on Y&R, fast. It's treading into LML territory (again).

cassie1013

Manny
Mar 19 2010, 03:23 AM
The "she's too young/teens can't have good stories" is really a stupid excuse.. And coming from someone on Y&R is even funnier, considering they did some of the best teen stories ever..
I was thinking the same thing, LOL. What about when JT and co. were in high school? Maybe I'm biased because, at the time, I was in grade 6-7 but IMO, it was good story.

Maybe the problem with the actress is she's too "young." They could have recasted someone in their late teens to still portray 16/17.

Manny
Member Avatar

cassie1013
Mar 19 2010, 03:25 AM
Manny
The "she's too young/teens can't have good stories" is really a stupid excuse.. And coming from someone on Y&R is even funnier, considering they did some of the best teen stories ever..
I was thinking the same thing, LOL. What about when JT and co. were in high school? Maybe I'm biased because, at the time, I was in grade 6-7 but IMO, it was good story.

Maybe the problem with the actress is she's too "young." They could have recasted someone in their late teens to still portray 16/17.
Sure, I liked that period too. But I was also thinking of teenage Victoria Newman maybe... I really liked what they did with her falling for an older Ryan and their storyline...

Sinny
Member Avatar

WOW how freaking boring.. MAB sure likes herself LOL :soapbox:

Sinny
Member Avatar

cassie1013
Mar 19 2010, 03:24 AM
Zzzz.

Someone needs to get a handle on Y&R, fast. It's treading into LML territory (again).
I think MAB makes LML look like the second coming of Christ. :rockon:

Manny
Member Avatar

Sinny
Mar 19 2010, 03:46 AM
cassie1013
Mar 19 2010, 03:24 AM
Zzzz.

I think MAB makes LML look like the second coming of Christ. :rockon:
I wouldn't go that far.. lol But MAB has become really bad too.

JDB

Maria Bell denies that these recent casting decisions have been made to generate publicity for the show.
Bullshit lie number 1 for this interview.

She also acknowledges that they have loyal fans and she hopes those fans will enjoy seeing their favorite actors working in daytime again.
The difference between viewers and publicity is what again?

Maria promises that Heather will be taken in a "new direction" with Riegel in the role. She says Vail Bloom was a great actress, but she thinks Eden Riegel will bring a "different texture" to the character in a very exciting way.
Victoria is the one who should have got a 'new direction' with a 'different texture' when Vail is on at least she doesn't seem like she's sleepwalking to me.

This is a great time to take the character in a whole new direction. It may be a tough sell, but I think Eden is going to own this role and be terrific."
Eddie Winslow is a tough sell, this is a needless recast, not exactly the same thing.

Maria says the fact that Eden Riegel and Elizabeth Hendrickson were a popular lesbian couple on All My Children never factored into her decision to hire Riegel.
Bullshit interview lie number 2, anybody want to guess the odds on a lesbian flip reworking of the Adam/Rafe deal somehow if the ratings get low enough?

"Eden was a long time coming. I didn't do this with the idea in mind of seeing her in scenes with Elizabeth. They will certainly be playing opposite each other though
Bullshit interview lie number 3, she's lying for the sake of lying at this point. Maybe MAB gets off on it???

"it's tricky to tell a sophisticated story with her because she's just a teenager."
So Teenage characters (never mind the actor's real age) can't be used for sophisticated story, she could at least have had her tweek out and put a chipmunk mascot head on teen Abby. Maybe another soap rip off of Romeo and Juliet could have worked?

MAB loves that Abby is half Abbott/half Newman
That just means that even though she's legal she can't fuck most anyone in town without it being incest. There goes the Romeo and Juliet idea...

MAB claims they wanted to make the character more romantic and Stephen was the right man for the job.
Bullshit interview lie number 5... er wait number 4... starting to lose count here...

"You never know," giggles MAB. "We like to keep you guessing!"
[she's lying for the sake of lying at this point. Maybe MAB gets off on it???]
I knew it, she giggles when she cumz.

Manny
Member Avatar

JDB
Mar 19 2010, 04:23 AM

"You never know," giggles MAB. "We like to keep you guessing!"
[she's lying for the sake of lying at this point. Maybe MAB gets off on it???]
I knew it, she giggles when she cumz.

:lol:

cassie1013

I'm seeing some of this more for what it is now. I think Y&R is letting it go to their head that they're above and beyond the other soaps (which, OK, they are for the most part) and are #1, so they went to the route of casting ex-primetime stars for that 'higher caliber' of talent. Obviously backfired, but now they just want big daytime names.

To say any of this casting isn't a publicity stunt is RIDICULOUS. Are they seriously trying to say that if some no-name was better suited the role, they would pick her over the AMC chick (who already has/had massive publicity around her for playing Susan Lucci's gay daughter?).

And on the Malcolm recast, there's definitely political reasoning for the choice they made. I wasn't seeing it before, but now it's a lot clearer. Y&R is obviously driven to an extent by it's black viewership/demographic. The character was meant to appeal there, and I know there's been controversy etc. around the fact that the majority of Y&R's black cast is mixed (I think at one point everyone except for Tonya Lee Williams was half white or something else). Perhaps this was meant to rectify that ongoing 'issue' some have with the show. The problem with these kinds of choices is that the actor is often not the right fit an in turn, affects character history and storyline.

I haven't figured it out yet, but there's a reason whatsherface is still in the role of Victoria, as well. It's political, and I'm not sure what the connection is yet. Either her ex-husband is respected in the entertainment industry, or there's the relationship between her and Thad...and Thad has gotten some primetime roles, too...
Edited by cassie1013, Mar 19 2010, 04:51 AM.

Y&RWorldTurner
Member Avatar
Sharongate, bitches!

This woman needs to stop living in denial about this show. It suck and it's all her fault.

It amazes me how in interview after interview Maria Arena Bell ALWAYS manages to put her foot in her mouth and come off as nothing but arrogant. How out of touch with her audience can she be?
Edited by Y&RWorldTurner, Mar 19 2010, 03:50 PM.

Y&RWorldTurner
Member Avatar
Sharongate, bitches!

Drew
Mar 19 2010, 03:20 AM
What a load of horse shit.

Its difficult to tell sofisticated stories because she's a teenager. Fuck off! GH is doing an abuse story right now with a girl only 17 years old, not to even mention all the many trailblazing stories teens have done in daytime in the past. She's just too weak a writer to be able to do it herself.
Not to mention, isn't this the same show that hired a 15 year old Heather Tom and gave her heavy front burner stories from her debut?

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

I completely disagree with Bell about the character of Abby being played by Erin. She was perfect for the role. While she wasn't the best actress, she was only 15 and had all the time in the world to improve her skill working next to greats like Eric Braeden, Eileen Davidson, Peter Bergman, etc. She could've gone far, I think. There was potential there compared to when she first started back in December 2008. No need to recast and age the role so drastically. What does this mean for Noah and Eden? Are they even going to be brought back? I mean, I could do without Eden for sure. Never liked her. But Noah needs to come back aged as well for this to make any sense. After all, he's a teenager and this show doesn't seem to want to write teenage storylines. :eyeroll:

I think Rylan would've made a better Heather. I just can't see Riegel in this role. Maybe that will change one she starts appearing on-screen. Doubt it though.

KiDCuDi
Member Avatar

Quote:

Maria says the fact that Eden Riegel and Elizabeth Hendrickson were a popular lesbian couple on All My Children never factored into her decision to hire Riegel. "Eden was a long time coming. She's such a great actress, but I didn't do this with the idea in mind of seeing her in scenes with Elizabeth. They will certainly be playing opposite each other though, as well as other people."
This part is too funny. Lies, and more lies...

into_the_skyline
Member Avatar

STEPHEN NICHOLS IS MORE ROMANTIC?!?! Don't make me shit on myself! That is hilarious! LOL! He treated Jill like catshyt. I thought Russ was very good at the romantic/family aspect. I'm surprised she gave THAT as the reason for axing him.

Drew
Member Avatar
#bbuk

Manny
Mar 19 2010, 03:26 AM
cassie1013
Manny

Sure, I liked that period too. But I was also thinking of teenage Victoria Newman maybe... I really liked what they did with her falling for an older Ryan and their storyline...
Screw all of that, LOL. Someone page Tricia Cast to beat some sense into that woman.

"You stole my BABY!!!!!"

Manny
Member Avatar

Drew
Mar 19 2010, 01:03 PM
Manny
Mar 19 2010, 03:26 AM
cassie1013

Quoting limited to 3 levels deep
Screw all of that, LOL. Someone page Tricia Cast to beat some sense into that woman.

"You stole my BABY!!!!!"
Sure, or teenage Nina! That works as an example too! :D

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · GH: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply