Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
DAYS RENEWED! Through 2010-2011 season.
Topic Started: Mar 19 2010, 02:16 PM (4,014 Views)
jdawg1077

Per a tweet from entertainment reporter M. Ausiello

EWAusielloFiles This Just In: NBC renews DAYS OF OUR LIVES through 2010-2011 season.

NBC renews 'Days of our Lives'
At least one daytime soap is safe for another year.

NBC has picked up “Days of our Lives” for its 45th season, keeping the show on the air through 2011.

“‘Days of our Lives’ continues to be a favorite of the daytime audience and we are thrilled to keep it going through its 45th season,” said Marc Graboff, chairman, NBC Entertainment. “‘Days’ has shown year-to-year increases in key female demographics and remains both relevant and fresh creatively.”

"Lives" is NBC's last remaining soap. Titles such as "Guiding Light" and "As the World Turns" recently were cancelled last year after decades on the air.

"Lives" first premiered as a half-hour show in 1965 and expanded to an hour 10 years later.

Source: The Hollywood Reporter's Live Feed

'Days Of Our Lives' Renewed Through 2010-11 Season

March 19, 2010 12:17 PM

Hit Series Will Celebrate Its 45th Anniversary in November

UNIVERSAL CITY, Calif. - March 19, 2010 - NBC has picked up hit daytime drama "Days of our Lives" for its 45th season, keeping the long-running show on the network through the 2010-11 television season, it was announced today by Marc Graboff, Chairman, NBC Entertainment and Universal Media Studios.

"'Days of our Lives' continues to be a favorite of the daytime audience and we are thrilled to keep it going through its 45th season," said Graboff. "'Days' has shown year-to-year increases in key female demographics and remains both relevant and fresh creatively."

Bruce Evans, Senior Vice President, Drama Programming, NBC Entertainment, added, "The producers, cast and crew have worked tirelessly to make 'Days' the ratings success it is today. Today's renewal is a true testament to all of their hard work. We could not be more delighted for them and for the multiple generations of fiercely loyal 'Days of our Lives' fans."

The acclaimed daytime drama will celebrate its 45th anniversary on Monday, November 8.

"Days of our Lives" (Monday-Friday, 1-2 p.m. in most markets; check local listings) first premiered as a half-hour drama in 1965 and expanded to an hour 10 years later. Today, it remains a consistent favorite among viewers of daytime television serials and is currently tied for #2 for the season among all daytime dramas in women 18-49 and women 18-34. Through 25 weeks of the 2009-10 season, "Days" is averaging 3.3 million viewers, its highest average at this point in the season in three years and a 10 percent increase over its audience of one year ago, according to Nielsen Media Research. "Days" is also delivering year-to-year gains among women 18-49 and women 25-54.

In its 44-plus years, "Days of our Lives" has garnered numerous Emmy Awards and nominations, as well as multiple Soap Opera Digest and People's Choice Awards. "Days of our Lives" is set in the fictitious Midwestern town of Salem. The core families are the Bradys, the Hortons and the DiMeras, and the multi-layered storylines involve elements of romance, adventure, mystery, comedy and drama.

"Days of our Lives" is produced by Corday Productions Inc., in association with Sony Pictures Television. Executive producer Ken Corday is following in the tradition of his parents, Betty and Ted Corday, who co-created "Days of our Lives" and helmed the series for many years. Gary Tomlin is also executive producer. Dena Higley is the head writer and Christopher Whitesell is co-head writer.

Source: NBC.com
Edited by ¤ Rhi ¤, Mar 19 2010, 02:57 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

downwhtone
Member Avatar

Here's the link: http://twitter.com/EWAusielloFiles/status/10736921303

Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wish it was a longer renewal, but I'll take it! One year is better than none.
Edited by downwhtone, Mar 19 2010, 02:25 PM.

Paxton
Member Avatar
Dreaming of a Melanie-free Days

When is a season considered to begin?

jane1978

Paxton
Mar 19 2010, 02:23 PM
September.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Paxton
Mar 19 2010, 02:23 PM
September.

All this means is that the one year option from the last deal was picked up. I'm sad that it wasn't a multi-year renewal. Guess that SON tweet was wrong.

My worry now is that knowing NBC, they will want to up the ante and want Days to do even more then they have and I'm not sure how much higher it can get the numbers beyond what it's already done in this climate.

This must be what the promo woman on Twitter was talking about.
Edited by PhoenixRising05, Mar 19 2010, 02:26 PM.

salempc
Member Avatar

Only one year? I'm sure they're relieved to be renewed, but it's got to be a shock for them (but not me) to not get more than one year.

six
Member Avatar

That's good news. Just one year, though? Is that normal for Days' renewals?

Ellie

Thanks for posting. My guess is NBC feels kind of stuck... they probably were planning to cancel Days, but the numbers really haven't been that bad, especially as compared to ATWT and GL. I think if they only renewed it for one year now, it won't be renewed another time after that. As Phoenix said, there does seem to be a ratings ceiling at this point, even for Y&R.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

six
Mar 19 2010, 02:28 PM
Well, back in the 90's and early 2000's, 3-4 year renewals were conventional (although there was usually a period halfway through where the show or network could get out of it, at least I think that was the case). No show is going to get that now. Most primetime shows are renewed now season to season. I think networks prefer this because it motivates the show to perform.

I always figured the one year option was a lock. However, when SON tweeted that it may be more, I got my hopes up figuring a year may be tacked on after that.

Criss33
Member Avatar

TFP!! It is kind good and bad news, good they have one more year but bad it's only one year!! But i will take that one year cause i love Dool....

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Ellie
Mar 19 2010, 02:29 PM
Thanks for posting. My guess is NBC feels kind of stuck... they probably were planning to cancel Days, but the numbers really haven't been that bad, especially as compared to ATWT and GL. I think if they only renewed it for one year now, it won't be renewed another time after that. As Phoenix said, there does seem to be a ratings ceiling at this point, even for Y&R.
I wouldn't say that.

People didn't believe they would be renewed in 2008 (especially after Zucker's 2007 statements) and they were and that was when the show had an out of control budget and wasn't doing as well. I think what we will see is year to year renewals, just like Passions was getting for a few years.

Of course, it all depends on performance and if NBC chooses to raise the stakes necessary to obtain renewal. I think Days stands a good chance as long as it maintains what it's been doing at the very least. I think the biggest thing in Days' favor is that NBC has bigger issues. I think those issues really gave Days the chance to do what it has done the past year or else it may not have. NBC needs to focus on primetime and they need to keep hold of any consistent performers they have. As long as Days stays within budget and makes a profit, then it will be fine. I would worry more if and when NBC improves because they may not see Days as beneficial to them anymore at that point.

Also, Days seems to do extremely well on the NBC web site. It looks like alot of people check it out on there.

jdawg1077

six
Typically, no. But it's a new era now. For a soap to be renewed at all, particularly by a network that has actively sought to get out of the business, is quite a boon in my opinion. It is the modern equivelant to a 4 year extension in the 90s. Even NBC couldn't argue with Days' numbers. Ken Corday previously indicated that the numbers from Sept-March would determine whether the show was renewed, and they delivered. The same will probably happen this year for a potential renewal next year. I think this is just the new reality for Days, and one year extensions will become the norm if they keep their average viewership above the 3M mark.
Edited by jdawg1077, Mar 19 2010, 02:42 PM.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

jdawg1077
Mar 19 2010, 02:38 PM
six
Typically, no. But it's a new era now. For a soap to be renewed at all, particularly by a network that has actively sought to get out of the business, is quite a boon in my opinion. It is the 90s equivelant to a 4 year extension. Even NBC couldn't argue with Days' numbers. Ken Corday previously indicated that the numbers from Sept-March would determine whether the show was renewed, and they delivered. The same will probably happen this year for a potential renewal next year. I think this is just the new reality for Days, and one year extensions will become the norm if they keep their average viewership above the 3M mark.
Exactly.

I think the show and network pretty much write the summer off now because Days skews so young that it tends to suffer major losses. Therefore, they focus in on September-March to get the numbers up and make the yearly average look pretty good, especially by today's standards.

My only concern is NBC wanting more from Days. I'm not sure I can see them really doing much better then they have.

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

Great news!

jdawg1077

PhoenixRising05
Ellie
Mar 19 2010, 02:29 PM
I think the biggest thing in Days' favor is that NBC has bigger issues. I think those issues really gave Days the chance to do what it has done the past year or else it may not have. NBC needs to focus on primetime and they need to keep hold of any consistent performers they have. As long as Days stays within budget and makes a profit, then it will be fine. I would worry more if and when NBC improves because they may not see Days as beneficial to them anymore at that point.

Also, Days seems to do extremely well on the NBC web site. It looks like alot of people check it out on there.
This is SO true. NBC is a mess right now, overall. Days might be the only show on the entire network that can claim to have seen it's ratings *rise* from year-to-year. Not to mention the work they've done to reign in the budget. If it ain't broke...

six
Member Avatar

jdawg1077
six
Typically, no. But it's a new era now. For a soap to be renewed at all, particularly by a network that has actively sought to get out of the business, is quite a boon in my opinion. It is the 90s equivelant to a 4 year extension. Even NBC couldn't argue with Days' numbers. Ken Corday previously indicated that the numbers from Sept-March would determine whether the show was renewed, and they delivered. The same will probably happen this year for a potential renewal next year. I think this is just the new reality for Days, and one year extensions will become the norm if they keep their average viewership above the 3M mark.
Oh, I agree about the new issues that plague soaps. I meant is it typical for the current era. Did Days get a 2+ year renewal in say 2006-2008, or have they been at one year renewals all this time? In other words, have things gotten worse even in the past couple of years, or are they about the same?

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

six
Mar 19 2010, 02:44 PM
jdawg1077
six
Oh, I agree about the new issues that plague soaps. I meant is it typical for the current era. Did Days get a 2+ year renewal in say 2006-2008, or have they been at one year renewals all this time? In other words, have things gotten worse even in the past couple of years, or are they about the same?
Well, in 2006, it kind of was an extension of the deal that was put in place in 2003. In 2003, Days was renewed for 5 years and JER returned as HW as part of the deal. However, there was some sort of option that needed to be picked up in 2006 and it was along with HS coming on as HW. That kept the show on the air until March 2009. Then we have the latest deal (up until this one), which was announced in November 2008 that kept the show on through September 2010 so I guess it's no better or worse. Days and NBC have had issues with each other going back to the late 90's. Days nearly left NBC in 1998 and that was when Days was doing really well and was in second place.

Eric83
Member Avatar
"Relax nobody's having sex.... at least not yet"

Wonderful news!

Never had a doubt in my mind.

px780
Member Avatar
Streetcorner Philosopher

This is good, even if I'm not a huge fan of the show anymore. It's just nice to read about a soap getting picked up.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

I just read the article at the start of the thread. I like that someone from NBC gave a statement. That is an even better sign then the actual renewal. I remember from like 2005-2008 you never heard anything out of anyone at NBC unless you want to count Jeff Zucker's stupid 2007 comments.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply