Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
"Working Mother" interview with Ali Sweeney
Topic Started: Apr 13 2010, 01:25 PM (3,193 Views)
shytstarter
Member Avatar

Quote:

It's just not very team-player-y of her, because they are still centering the show around her, so her contributions are a pretty big part of the show's success,
Not only that but actor's that have to do scenes with her are a slave to whatever her schedule may be. If she was bringing her A game or even a solid B game to the table is one thing but her take on Sami seems to be that of a 13 year old in the body of 33 year old. Just lots of huffing, puffing and no subtext or subtle nuances to any of her performances. Epic fail.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

lysie
Member Avatar

Liz<3Days
Apr 13 2010, 02:20 PM
shytstarter
Apr 13 2010, 02:06 PM
Ellie, I don't know if this is a problem with my computer or not but the link led me to a blank page. I love the fact that you put the working mother bit in quotes.

Ali wants to work two jobs, three jobs, not take maternity leaves fine I respect her work ethic but I chafe at her trying to brand herself (which she most assuredly is doing) as some everyday workaday mother just like the rest of us slobs out here doing it all, trying to have it all and struggling to find the balance between work and family. There is just something so disingenuous about it and I just don't believe what she says especially when she lays out her schedule as she just did.

I often also wonder if this attempt to brand herself somehow coincides with the Marlenazination of Sami. Did Sami's whitewash happen around the same time Ali got the biggest loser gig?
Yes, her glitter got an extra dose around the time she got TBL gig.

Don't forget that ALL of us can lose the weight too...just have to go to 8987786 spin classes after your TWO jobs.

I wonder how's she going to squeeze in family time when she inevitably does a book tour when her book comes out. She could always QUIT DAYS!!!! (I know- wishful thinking!)
And cook straight from your garden.

DesignatedShelley
Member Avatar

shytstarter
Apr 13 2010, 02:23 PM
If she was bringing her A game or even a solid B game to the table is one thing but her take on Sami seems to be that of a 13 year old in the body of 33 year old. Just lots of huffing, puffing and no subtext or subtle nuances to any of her performances. Epic fail.
Well if it would make it easier for the show, IMO it would be better for Sami's PR if she took a vacation for a while, and then Ali wouldn't feel so torn.

lysie

Liz<3Days
Apr 13 2010, 02:20 PM
Don't forget that ALL of us can lose the weight too...just have to go to 8987786 spin classes after your TWO jobs.
And cook straight from your garden.

And hand wash the cloth diapers you made yourself from the cotton you planted out back.

Alligato
Member Avatar

^LMFAO!!!

IMissAremid
Member Avatar
After all... tomorrow is another day!

LOL. This thread made me go :peek: before clicking on it.

I actually didn't think she came off that bad in this interview in comparison to some others. I'm pretty sure the stuff about the time she took to head back to TBL and DAYS after Megan had come out before. The only part that made me go ^o) was the thing about when she is with the kids they always have her attention, because if that was totally the case then she wouldn't be using Twitter while with them ever would she?

But other than that I thought she had valid things to say like about how actors have a lot of help when it comes to getting their weight back to normal after a baby and I thought her answer to working-mom guilt was thoughtful. The self-deprecating firetruck anecdote also amused me.

Ally
Member Avatar
The Royal Princess

Um.. Wow.

They should have interviewed Lindsay Hartley - that's what I call a working mom. She works, but spends time with her daughter AND if I'm not mistaken, also flies out to BC to spend time with both her daughter and hubby.

Deleted User
Deleted User

Ally
Apr 13 2010, 03:45 PM
Um.. Wow.

They should have interviewed Lindsay Hartley - that's what I call a working mom. She works, but spends time with her daughter AND if I'm not mistaken, also flies out to BC to spend time with both her daughter and hubby.

They live in B.C.? Is that where Smallville is filmed or something?

Also, Sweeney probably PAID her publicist to get her in this magazine. She's a fame whore. Hartley obviously is not.
Quote Post Goto Top

Ally
Member Avatar
The Royal Princess

Amello
Apr 13 2010, 03:46 PM
Ally
Apr 13 2010, 03:45 PM
Um.. Wow.

They live in B.C.? Is that where Smallville is filmed or something?

Also, Sweeney probably PAID her publicist to get her in this magazine. She's a fame whore. Hartley obviously is not.
I think Justin is out there most of the time if I'm not mistaken to shoot Smallville.

I remember reading how Lindsay loved working with Days because she would be able to drop her daughter in the morning to school, and pick her up in the afternoon.

Halloween Family
Member Avatar

Thanks for posting. It was a nice interview. Sounds like she's happy. Cute story about the kisses.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Halloween Family
Member Avatar

michelle
Apr 13 2010, 02:02 PM
I was at an all day closing 8 days after my 2nd daughter was born. I'm in real estate and property management so I work a lot - nights, weekends, etc., but I still find plenty of quality time to spend with my kids. It's making the effort that counts AND when I'm with them I play with them constantly unlike many parents I know who may be there physically, but not really there there.

Everyone is different and support women/families to do whatever they seem fit. Thank goodness, it's left to the individual. :applause:
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

I'm not touching this one with a ten-foot pole......I have some REAL strong opinions about this........

Daysfanatic79
Member Avatar

I'm not going to bash Ali for her parenting skills or choices. It's her life and her family, so I cannot say what effect her choices are having on Megan and Ben. As a parent and a professional, I won't go there with her, or anyone for that matter. Being a parent should be a persons TOP priority, and God knows parenting is my life, but my occupation is also a major part of my life, and allows me to give my kids all they need, and most of the things they want.

Now on the Days front...yes the cheap comment was a shot at the production process. A comment like that is major folks, and really rare coming from a person working at Days. Most of the Days family will not discuss issues like that at all, so it must be getting bad behind the scenes, and there has to be some sort of negative talk taking place, just my take based on a pattern.
Edited by Daysfanatic79, Apr 13 2010, 09:20 PM.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Daysfanatic79
Apr 13 2010, 09:20 PM
I'm not going to bash Ali for her parenting skills or choices. It's her life and her family, so I cannot say what effect her choices are having on Megan and Ben. As a parent and a professional, I won't go there with her, or anyone for that matter. Being a parent should be a persons TOP priority, and God knows parenting is my life, but my occupation is also a major part of my life, and allows me to give my kids all they need, and most of the things they want.

Now on the Days front...yes the cheap comment was a shot at the production process. A comment like that is major folks, and really rare coming from a person working at Days. Most of the Days family will not discuss issues like that at all, so it must be getting bad behind the scenes, and there has to be some sort of negative talk taking place, just my take based on a pattern.
The show has been dirt cheap since October 2008 (and it was getting cheaper and cheaper before that). There were no questions about the morale last year and things were just as cheap now.

I think some are getting wrapped up in the PR and KA interviews lately where they talked about the writing. I don't think morale is down at all. They just got renewed. Everyone on Twitter seems in good spirit. In what universe does the mere mention of the word "cheap" mean bad morale? She's right. Soaps can succeed if the writing is there and the budget is kept in check and that is what Days has been doing the past year or so. That is what she seemed to be speaking too.

strawberry1971

Wow, thanks for the article. I love hearing about what Ali is up to and about her family :).

Manda1

PhoenixRising05
Apr 13 2010, 09:28 PM
Daysfanatic79
Apr 13 2010, 09:20 PM

The show has been dirt cheap since October 2008 (and it was getting cheaper and cheaper before that). There were no questions about the morale last year and things were just as cheap now.

I think some are getting wrapped up in the PR and KA interviews lately where they talked about the writing. I don't think morale is down at all. They just got renewed. Everyone on Twitter seems in good spirit. In what universe does the mere mention of the word "cheap" mean bad morale? She's right. Soaps can succeed if the writing is there and the budget is kept in check and that is what Days has been doing the past year or so. That is what she seemed to be speaking too.
I totally agree with you! I see no evidence that morale is down at all! Why would it me they just got renewed at a time when soaps are being cancelled. And a lot of the cast almost tweet daily about who is in the make-up room, who they are taping with, what days they are working etc.....and when they have the time they obviously have a lot of fun and even hang out together over the weekends and during the times when the studioís dark.

As far as Ali is concerned, more power to her. She obviously loves being busy, and active and seems to have a ton of energy to be a wife, raise two kids, have two jobs and then support the various bits of charity work, write books etc...

As far as those is storyline having to tape around her schedule I didnít see GG complaining about it in his recent family interview or James on his buzz worthy interview makes it easier for them to balance their lives too.

It seems that most get at least 1 or 2 days off a week or work half days unless they are on a heavy taping schedule which seems to be the case for Nadia, Shawn and Crystal at the moment but it does seem like swings and roundabouts for most cast members as to how much they work at different times.

She should be commended. I see nothing to criticize here!

Aurianne
Member Avatar

I have a question. What was Alison Sweeney's reasoning for why she wanted another pregnancy written in for the character of Sami? I don't understand.

She sounds like a workaholic. Maybe she's worried that she spends too much money, and she's worried about debt? Why don't they give Alison less hours on Days? That would seem to aleviate the problem of having such a crazy work schedule that also affects all the other actors. The show suffers. Maybe a sl where Sami stands on her own two feet, like Brady said. Wouldn't that be a switch? Sami would be on screen less and this could be a creative way to come up with something new for Sami to do.

Why is the character of Sami always in big storylines? Every other character and actor gets a break from big storylines. Many actors have left the show for a time and then are asked back. She's had the job straight for 17 years, without any absence from the show. What makes her the exception? I wish she would've gotten the axe instead of Bryan.

Ellie

Aurianne
Apr 13 2010, 10:17 PM
I have a question. What was Alison Sweeney's reasoning for why she wanted another pregnancy written in for the character of Sami? I don't understand.
Of course this is only a guess, but I'd think that any pregnant actress would be more comfortable playing a pregnant character. There is then no need for strategic wardrobe choices and/or camera angles to hide the pregnancy. I'm sure it's not appealing to any actress to look larger than normal for no apparent reason and only be shown from the chest up. However, not every actress would go to the writers and actually ask for a pregnancy storyline (and even fewer would get a 'yes') - and I'll just leave it at that.

IMissAremid
Member Avatar
After all... tomorrow is another day!

I totally missed the controversy over what AS said regarding cheapness.

She said if you can tell good stories cheaply you can stay on the air. We all know that what has kept DAYS from being canceled is being able to tell stories that the audience has responded to AND staying under budget.

I don't think mentioning the budget constraints all soaps are under is a morale issue, but maybe I'm missing something.

Kiren
Member Avatar
Some people are alive only because itís illegal to kill them.

billyjill
Apr 13 2010, 02:08 PM
I'm not really seeing much here to criticize her for about her mothering skills, it's not like one interview could give a very good picture and IMO moms are picked on for every little choice way too much. But I do agree with the sentiment that Days seems like it should be a bigger priority than TBL. If her time there is eating out of the resources she can invest in her role on Days, well it's her choice, but wow does it seem like biting the hand that feeds.
Exactly. I was surprised that people were nitpicking at these little things. She loves her family but she loves to work too, so sure her.
Edited by Kiren, Apr 14 2010, 12:21 AM.

Kiren
Member Avatar
Some people are alive only because itís illegal to kill them.

TINA222
Apr 13 2010, 01:43 PM
She sounds frightenly like Sami. mememememememememememememe.
This interview is about Ali. Please explain to me why it's so shocking that she talks about herself. I'm honestly curious. :huh:

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply