Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
"Working Mother" interview with Ali Sweeney
Topic Started: Apr 13 2010, 01:25 PM (3,191 Views)
Kiren
Member Avatar
Some people are alive only because itís illegal to kill them.

Manda1
Apr 13 2010, 10:00 PM
PhoenixRising05
Apr 13 2010, 09:28 PM
Daysfanatic79
Apr 13 2010, 09:20 PM
I'm not going to bash Ali for her parenting skills or choices. It's her life and her family, so I cannot say what effect her choices are having on Megan and Ben. As a parent and a professional, I won't go there with her, or anyone for that matter. Being a parent should be a persons TOP priority, and God knows parenting is my life, but my occupation is also a major part of my life, and allows me to give my kids all they need, and most of the things they want.

Now on the Days front...yes the cheap comment was a shot at the production process. A comment like that is major folks, and really rare coming from a person working at Days. Most of the Days family will not discuss issues like that at all, so it must be getting bad behind the scenes, and there has to be some sort of negative talk taking place, just my take based on a pattern.
The show has been dirt cheap since October 2008 (and it was getting cheaper and cheaper before that). There were no questions about the morale last year and things were just as cheap now.

I think some are getting wrapped up in the PR and KA interviews lately where they talked about the writing. I don't think morale is down at all. They just got renewed. Everyone on Twitter seems in good spirit. In what universe does the mere mention of the word "cheap" mean bad morale? She's right. Soaps can succeed if the writing is there and the budget is kept in check and that is what Days has been doing the past year or so. That is what she seemed to be speaking too.
I totally agree with you! I see no evidence that morale is down at all! Why would it me they just got renewed at a time when soaps are being cancelled. And a lot of the cast almost tweet daily about who is in the make-up room, who they are taping with, what days they are working etc.....and when they have the time they obviously have a lot of fun and even hang out together over the weekends and during the times when the studioís dark.

As far as Ali is concerned, more power to her. She obviously loves being busy, and active and seems to have a ton of energy to be a wife, raise two kids, have two jobs and then support the various bits of charity work, write books etc...

As far as those is storyline having to tape around her schedule I didnít see GG complaining about it in his recent family interview or James on his buzz worthy interview makes it easier for them to balance their lives too.

It seems that most get at least 1 or 2 days off a week or work half days unless they are on a heavy taping schedule which seems to be the case for Nadia, Shawn and Crystal at the moment but it does seem like swings and roundabouts for most cast members as to how much they work at different times.

She should be commended. I see nothing to criticize here!
I felt almost physically exhausted just reading all that! She balances it out pretty well, it seems.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

missor88

I got to admit, I am pretty horrified reading a lot of these responses.

Criticizing her because she chose not to take a long maternity leave? Seriously??? Do you all also question fathers who go back to work right after their children are born? The comment about how LH flies up to spend time with her husband clearly seemed to take no issue with the fact that that father works hundreds of miles away from his child. Apparently, it's fine for dads. But for mothers, it's disgusting. Give me a break.

This is ridiculous. If she loves her work, then she should be free to pursue that. She clearly tries to be there for her kids, as well, and they certainly don't appear to be lacking for affection.

I hope this is just people confusing their dislike for the character with the actress. Because otherwise, people need to pull themselves out of the 60s.
Edited by missor88, Apr 14 2010, 01:18 AM.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

missor88
Apr 14 2010, 01:18 AM
I got to admit, I am pretty horrified reading a lot of these responses.

Criticizing her because she chose not to take a long maternity leave? Seriously??? Do you all also question fathers who go back to work right after their children are born? The comment about how LH flies up to spend time with her husband clearly seemed to take no issue with the fact that that father works hundreds of miles away from his child. Apparently, it's fine for dads. But for mothers, it's disgusting. Give me a break.

This is ridiculous. If she loves her work, then she should be free to pursue that. She clearly tries to be there for her kids, as well, and they certainly don't appear to be lacking for affection.

I hope this is just people confusing their dislike for the character with the actress. Because otherwise, people need to pull themselves out of the 60s.
Hmmmm. The difference is, well, the mother has PHYSICAL reasons for not returning early????????? And honestly, I'd like to know if the dad took time off. If the dad took more time off than she did, then that's a whole 'nother ball of wax. There would be a parent who woud be the parent, instead of the nanny being the parent. True, we don't know the bills they have, but, I'm sorry. I know a lot of middle class women who have bills AND no husband and still make sure they spend time with their kids.
The story and opinions could probably be more balanced if we knew that. As it is, she tries to come across as the woman who has everything, but it just seems too much. I mean, come on.She works these two shows, raises her own garden, has time to work out, flies across the coast to do guest spot, Twitters non-stop, and has time to give interviews? SERIOUSLY? And at the risk of stepping on the toes of any mom here who "has that schedule", it increases the chances of problem kids later. I'm not saying it GUARANTEES it, and if her kid grow up to solve world problems, kudos to her. I've also read enough about other actors and have had experience with other parents who SEEM to have the same attitude of "I can have it all", and something gives. Drastically. Often, it's the kids. Plus, despite her obvious health, you don't think this is going to take a toll on her after a while? When was the woman off screen for any significant length of time JUST to have some downtime? When was the last time she took a vacation that wasn't a working vacation?
Let's just say, to me, her interviews read TOO much into the whole "Hey, look at me, I'm Perfect Mrs. Supermom". And, I'm sorry, but to me, this isn't a good example of momdom. And that's my opinion, and I'm sticking to it.
Let's not forget that, like someone mentioned, this crazy schedule seems to come at the cost of the show and the work schedule of the OTHER actors. It's already been noted on this board that storylines involving Sami seem enclosed and disjointed, and it was rare she shared scenes with anyone besides GG and JS, with the occasional Will actor and Sydney twins. I would think, after a while, some of these actors might start to resent that just a little?
AS someone who struggled while her kids were younger so my husband and I COULD spend more time with them. We're both teachers, and my husband is retired. It can happen. Having it all doesn't mean you have to have it all at the same time. Now, I do work almost 12 hour days with school and lessons AND am going back to get my PhD AND do web design on the side, but my kids are grown. So it's not like I don't understand the schedule aspect of it.
We have to remember these people are human AND actors. Yes, she might actually have it all and be one of those rare women whose life honestly just glitters. More than likely, she's putting on a facade, and it might be the best acting of her career.
And damn, I got sucked into it. I wish I could put a whole thread on "ignore", but I just feel too strongly about this topic.
As for being in the 60's, well, I deal with the results every day of the attitudes of the 70's, 80's, and 90's. Maybe the 60's had it right? :shrug:
Edited by ladyofthelake, Apr 14 2010, 06:02 AM.

Faye

Quote:

With Megan I was back to The Biggest Loser eight days after I gave birth and back to Days of Our Lives after two weeks. That was really hard. Both shows offered me more time. I was in a heavy story line at Days, though, and I didnít want to break the story.

Ali mentioned how her children always come first - and here she's saying how hard it was for her to get back at work, after only 8 days (after Megan's birth)! Well, Ali doesn't really need to work 24/7 because she does have the money to support her family, and of course ppl would've understood if she had taken a longer maternity leave! Gosh, it is up to her how long she wants to stay home!
Yea, your children come first... :eyeroll:

luvpumpkns
Member Avatar

Ellie

However, not every actress would go to the writers and actually ask for a pregnancy storyline (and even fewer would get a 'yes') - and I'll just leave it at that.

even fewer than that would get a yes if their character had just had twins not that long ago by two different fathers. i will never understand the person that green lighted the pregnancy and witness protection story. the only good things to come out of that mess were arianne zucker's acting and that baby, who's as cute as the day is long.

i'm not going to pass judgment on alison's parenting skills, tho. all i know is that i want her to spend more time with her kids because that will translate into less time have to see her on days.

Ellie

You know what I just realized... so Ali says she "didn't want to break story", which is why she came back after 2 weeks. However, as someone in the thread brought up, Ali herself asked for her pregnancy to be written in to the show! Clearly she wasn't at all concerned with "breaking story" then, though some of the stories did a 180 to accommodate her. Makes me think that the "story" was not really her primary concern after she had the baby... sounds to me like her screen time was.

Liz<3Days
Member Avatar

Well, this topic does sour me because of all the celebs that "brand" themselves as great moms and in reality, this is not done without multiple nannies, assistants who cater to their needs and TONS of money. AS brands herself as the everyday working mom w/a CHP hubby and things she gets to do YOU can do too!

(All you need is a nanny, assistant, boss that works around YOUR schedule, and money.)

I work with mothers that have ONE JOB, several kids, that live in a insect-infested apartment (only thing they can afford) leave their kids at school from 6am to 6pm, you think they arent suffering? Yet you have this article BRAGGING about the life she has...then has the GALL to tell us that YOU TOO can do it!

If you put yourself out there as being this "supermom" then you damn well are going to be criticized..in ANY ERA!

It's pretty obvious her children DONT come first- appearances in NYC, guest spots in other shows (that SHE requested and was granted) stuff beyond TBL and DAYS sounds like they take up a HUGE part of her life...maybe she'll cut back when they're older, maybe not, but if you have regular days like 6-11pm, where's the Mommie time?

Liz<3Days
Member Avatar

Ellie
Apr 14 2010, 07:24 AM
You know what I just realized... so Ali says she "didn't want to break story", which is why she came back after 2 weeks. However, as someone in the thread brought up, Ali herself asked for her pregnancy to be written in to the show! Clearly she wasn't at all concerned with "breaking story" then, though some of the stories did a 180 to accommodate her. Makes me think that the "story" was not really her primary concern after she had the baby... sounds to me like her screen time was.
ITA! In Hollywood, you're forgotten as soon as you're not on. She was more worried about her jobs then re-cooperating from labor and spending time with her daughter.

I give her credit, shes a very smart woman going out there and getting her name in all sorts of things.

LuvingLumi
Member Avatar
♥ Jax Teller♥

IMissAremid
Apr 13 2010, 11:22 PM
I totally missed the controversy over what AS said regarding cheapness.

She said if you can tell good stories cheaply you can stay on the air. We all know that what has kept DAYS from being canceled is being able to tell stories that the audience has responded to AND staying under budget.

I don't think mentioning the budget constraints all soaps are under is a morale issue, but maybe I'm missing something.
I just think people are putting together the latest interviews by KA and PR discussing the writing and the lack of direction for their characters and this latest comment by Ali regarding the "cheapness" and putting them together. Let's face it, Ali NEVER says anything negative about ANYTHING. She's always gone with the party line and she promotes whatever her latest pairing is and whatever the latest story is. She doesn't go toe to toe with execs and she's the darling of Days/NBC now. She could have said what she wanted to say differently, but the fact that she actually pointed that word out have some people thinking.

annie
Member Avatar

kind of have to admire her for doing what she wants, when she wants and how she pleases. unlike her screen character who can't seem to stand on her own two feet, she is making her choices on how to live her life. In an industry where you can be here today and gone tomorrow cant fault her for seizing opptys to help provide for herself and family. her husband is a highway patrol officer, lots of risks, maybe the extra she makes goes towards their kids future education. Its really up to her and her husband to make their family decisions. the interviewer asked questions about her so it was about ''''me me". most of us have enough problems making our own personal choices without criticizing another person's choices. thanks for posting the article here as I wouldnt have bothered to buy the magazine. whether I agree or disagree with her choices I respect her right to make them and she didnt say others should do as she did.

SoapGal1
Member Avatar

I didn't have a problem with this interview. If her and her husband are okay with her workload, who am I to say anything about it. It does seem as though she's got her plate full, but in some ways I can't blame her.

The industry she is in would forget her in a second if she didn't plaster herself all over the place. As she said, she started acting when she was 16. She's been on a soap all her life it's the only qualifications she's got. She's not going to be a big movie star, she's about as big as she's going to get so I guess she wants to milk it for everything she can get out of it. Heck, in another ten years we may never hear from her....she'll be past her prime in Hollywood terms.

Her children are really cute and the pics I saw looked like they were having a really good time. She and her children looked comfortable together. I know that can be manufactured, but I've seen several pics of her with Ben and he always looks happy, so I won't judge her parenting decisions.

I do think, however, when you put yourself out there as much as she has you open yourself up to the critism and not everyone will give her a pass. That's just the way it is and she and her fans need to be able to deal with it.

mer4santo
Member Avatar

Her manager and publicist are branding geniuses.

Ponz
Member Avatar

Are we supposed to believe that Ali and Dave float in and out of the house in perfect synchrony? I don't dispute that she has legitimate advice to offer working mothers but failure to acknowledge the role of nannies, agents etc. and other logistical benefits of wealth renders her insight completely fraudulent.

Halloween Family
Member Avatar

Aurianne
Apr 13 2010, 10:17 PM
I have a question. What was Alison Sweeney's reasoning for why she wanted another pregnancy written in for the character of Sami? I don't understand.
In an interview, she mentioned about it being easier on the crew. Maybe not wanting to look fat was an issue but imo she didn't look fat from the chest up, except her boobs were big. Ali has mentioned the crew in the past before too. It makes sense that she wants to cultivate a good working relationship with the crew. "I'll scratch your back, you scratch my back" is not a new concept, lots of sucessful people utilize it.

Red Mist
Member Avatar

I am a working Mother, and though I like Ali, and enjoy her, I do not feel she represents the majority of working Mothers in this world.

EjsGaGirl
Member Avatar

I think Ali realizes she wont be in demand forever..and if her family is happy with what she does,I guess thats all that matters to her..thanks for posting

Deleted User
Deleted User

It's a puff piece, nothing more -- harmless. These magazines interview famous people because those are the faces that increase circulation. People are curious to hear about what stars do in their lives. I don't understand why this woman is being criticized for making a living. An actress' shelf-life in Hollywood is short, and for soap opera actresses, it is worse. Why shouldn't she take advantage of every opportunity thrown her way? After she reaches 40, the opportunities will dwindle to nothing.
Quote Post Goto Top

Livie

miou07
Apr 14 2010, 05:34 PM
It's a puff piece, nothing more -- harmless. These magazines interview famous people because those are the faces that increase circulation. People are curious to hear about what stars do in their lives. I don't understand why this woman is being criticized for making a living. An actress' shelf-life in Hollywood is short, and for soap opera actresses, it is worse. Why shouldn't she take advantage of every opportunity thrown her way? After she reaches 40, the opportunities will dwindle to nothing.
Due to the fact I often get my head handed to me when I defend Ali, thank you for saying it for me.

lysie
Member Avatar

I know that it's been well documented here that I don't like Alison's hair and I especially don't like the way the Days' stylists make it look. But let's talk about make-up for a second. In her magazine photo shoots, I always hate her make-up. It's only in magazines that I notice her looking that way, and it's true again in this one. It's the same look, too, and she never looks that way anywhere else except in magazines. Her make-up on TBL and Days is done differently, and while TBL is definitely better than Days, I don't recall either bothering me (there may be exceptions). What are these magazines doing to her? Is that her normal make-up routine?

Liz<3Days
Member Avatar

I have seen her up close and she looks younger then on both shows. Maybe they put on too much foundation or just heavy makeup. I think she looks better without or very little makeup.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply