Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
SOD: John Callahan returns to Days!; April 27th issue; article summary
Topic Started: Apr 14 2010, 12:06 PM (4,284 Views)
Ellie

Please link to DR.

This week's SOD features an interview with John Callahan describing his return to Days.

Callahan says that Marnie Saitta called him and asked him to come back, but she said, "if you tell anybody, it won't work." Callahan says, "I said, okay, we're working on the Manhattan Project here, looking for weapons of mass destruction.' I didn't think it was that big news, but I had kept it quiet."

SOD asks Callahan how Dr. Baker can possibly be alive. Callahan says that you have to watch the shows very carefully; "nuance is not usually a part of soaps, but they threw a curveball with that one." He says that there were "alternate endings", and "[Gary Tomlin] had it in his pocket in case he needed to pull it out."

Callahan says he's thrilled to be back on Days, and he will be working with Ari Zucker again, but first he'll be working with Kristian Alfonso. "[Dr. Baker] has just sort of found himself wedged between two strong women who have their own plans. And it's kind of interesting to see how he pinballs his way through this maze. Let's just say it's keeping me on my toes."

Callahan first airs April 22.

[Thanks to our member angmc for the article!]

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

aimees76
Member Avatar

:cheer: Yay! He will be working with AZ! Come on Sydole!! :cheer:

Paxton
Member Avatar
Dreaming of a Melanie-free Days

Ellie
Apr 14 2010, 12:06 PM
SOD asks Callahan how Dr. Baker can possibly be alive. Callahansays that you have to watch the shows very carefully; "nuance is not usually a part of soaps, but they threw a curveball with that one." He says that there were "alternate endings", and "[Gary Tomlin] had it in his pocket in case he needed to pull it out."
LOL to the bolded.

I'm not sure how much of a curveball it was, given that we all saw Dr. Baker's finger twitching plus death is so often not permanent in the Salemverse, but I'm interested at his comment about alternate endings being taped. How many could there be?

Thanks for posting!

Sariah
Member Avatar

Please let him be back so that we can find out Sydney is really Nicole's!

Ellie

Paxton
Apr 14 2010, 12:10 PM
I'm not sure how much of a curveball it was, given that we all saw Dr. Baker's finger twitching plus death is so often not permanent in the Salemverse, but I'm interested at his comment about alternate endings being taped. How many could there be?
I also found that comment interesting, but I don't think he necessarily meant that the endings were actually taped. Perhaps they told Callahan to move his finger, but they weren't sure at that point if it would mean anything or if they'd bring him back. Wonder what made them go this route, and wonder what the other option for the continuation of the story was....

Paxton
Member Avatar
Dreaming of a Melanie-free Days

Ellie
Apr 14 2010, 12:16 PM
Paxton
I also found that comment interesting, but I don't think he necessarily meant that the endings were actually taped. Perhaps they told Callahan to move his finger, but they weren't sure at that point if it would mean anything or if they'd bring him back. Wonder what made them go this route, and wonder what the other option for the continuation of the story was....
Yes, it's true he didn't come out and say different endings were taped--but what would Tomlin "have in his pocket" if there was only one ending actually taped, and that being the one where everybody figured there was a good chance we'd see Dr. Baker again? As usual, the backstage stuff (how the sausage is made) is much more interesting than the show often is, though in Dr. Baker's case I love him and look forward to all his scenes--a rare infusion of intentional wit. If he's not back to reveal Sydney is actually Nicole's I want a love triangle with him, Victor and Vivian. Or, we can do both!

Ellie

Paxton
Apr 14 2010, 12:20 PM
Yes, it's true he didn't come out and say different endings were taped--but what would Tomlin "have in his pocket" if there was only one ending actually taped, and that being the one where everybody figured there was a good chance we'd see Dr. Baker again?
True - perhaps they taped the identical scene with no finger twitch. There is definitely some info we're missing, like what criteria Tomlin was using to determine the route of the story. Perhaps he wanted to see how the KA/CC/PR triangle went? Or perhaps it was just a re-signing/salary issue with one of the actors? They have had the issues (whatever they are) recently with PR... hmm....

mer4santo
Member Avatar
I own you bitch.

Whoop to the whoop! I love Dr B!!!!

shytstarter
Member Avatar

Paxton
Apr 14 2010, 12:20 PM
Ellie
Apr 14 2010, 12:16 PM
Paxton
Yes, it's true he didn't come out and say different endings were taped--but what would Tomlin "have in his pocket" if there was only one ending actually taped, and that being the one where everybody figured there was a good chance we'd see Dr. Baker again? As usual, the backstage stuff (how the sausage is made) is much more interesting than the show often is, though in Dr. Baker's case I love him and look forward to all his scenes--a rare infusion of intentional wit. If he's not back to reveal Sydney is actually Nicole's I want a love triangle with him, Victor and Vivian. Or, we can do both!
I totally see where you are coming from Paxton but I doubt that they taped alternate endings. AS bad as the baby switch story has been in spots I don't think they are writing this as they go along. This has been the story with the most direction in years on this show, however I think they may have alternate endings overall story wise depending on a lot of factors and also due to unforeseen circumstances like Ari's pregnancy which incidentially to me is when the story starting going off the rails. They hardly do more than one take let alone alternate endings. My guess with all the budgets cuts it wasn't that big a deal. They probably filmed it all at once anyway because if you guys remember the finger twitch happened after a long shot and then zooming in on his hand to reveal movement. It could have just been the decision to either go the extra couple of seconds and show it or cut earlier and not show the twitch. Like I said, I think Tomlin likes the idea of having an out just in case. The bigger question to me is: an out for what? I would love to know what effected his decision to bring Dr. Baker back.

And I fluv the idea of Dr. Baker and Vivian.

Vicky4Mimi
Member Avatar

aimees76
Apr 14 2010, 12:09 PM
:cheer: You are reading my mind!! :cheer:

Liz<3Days
Member Avatar

WOOOHOOOOOOOOO

"alternate endings", = finger twitch= SYDOLE!!!

I remember when they filmed that and the camera really panned in to show the moving finger! I think this was GT's "curveball."

Finally, something to get excited about!!
Edited by Liz<3Days, Apr 14 2010, 01:34 PM.

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

I'm really excited for the upcoming weeks...except for this. Not needed.

LuvingLumi
Member Avatar
LUMI

aimees76
:cheer: I'm betting....Sydney is Nicole's baby! He WILL be working with Ari after KA....so common make it happen Tomlin...make one thing right :cheer: .....I also think that it will be Sooooooooo much more interesting if EJ somehow finds out that Stefano knew all along and the reason he held the information was because Stefano knew that Syd was NOT Sami's but Nicole's child with Ej. If EJ finds out and hold THAT little bit back from Sami in order to get closer to her it will end bad and it will be the 'longer story arc' for EJ.

mer4santo
Member Avatar
I own you bitch.

LuvingLumi
Apr 14 2010, 02:42 PM
aimees76
:cheer: I'm betting....Sydney is Nicole's baby! He WILL be working with Ari after KA....so common make it happen Tomlin...make one thing right :cheer: .....I also think that it will be Sooooooooo much more interesting if EJ somehow finds out that Stefano knew all along and the reason he held the information was because Stefano knew that Syd was NOT Sami's but Nicole's child with Ej. If EJ finds out and hold THAT little bit back from Sami in order to get closer to her it will end bad and it will be the 'longer story arc' for EJ.
I can't stand one more second of baby switch so please, no.

SocRMum1
Member Avatar
Much prefers sweevil, snarky EJ over Father Figure Fucktard Eejiot.

I had a good snort at his comment that the viewer had to watch carefully to see how Baker could be brought back. Really?? Did anyone miss the twitching finger?? :lol:

I'm glad he's back and working with AZ - the two of them are a lot of fun together. :D

Thanks for posting!

SocRMum1
Member Avatar

mer4santo
Apr 14 2010, 02:55 PM
LuvingLumi
aimees76
Ditto. I don't see it happening, but it never hurts to dream.

LuvingLumi
Member Avatar
LUMI

mer4santo
LuvingLumi
aimees76
Well this would officially END the baby switch....

Liz<3Days
Member Avatar

LuvingLumi
Apr 14 2010, 02:57 PM
mer4santo
LuvingLumi

Quoting limited to 3 levels deepwill
ITA..having Syd be Nicole's, would be a nice ending to it! Sydole were so sweet together and showed Nicole's heart!

SocRMum1
Member Avatar

Liz<3Days
Apr 14 2010, 03:00 PM
LuvingLumi
Apr 14 2010, 02:57 PM
mer4santo

Quoting limited to 3 levels deepwill
ITA..having Syd be Nicole's, would be a nice ending to it! Sydole were so sweet together and showed Nicole's heart!
But would really interfere with her current mission to wrestle Brady away from Arianna. You never know, though...

aimees76
Member Avatar

... and I think BECAUSE Nicole came back ready to let go of Syd, and said goodbye to her, makes it even more likely that she will be hers. :D
Sami has too many kids, she can't take care of them all, they can't keep having her shipping them all over the world to stay with various family members, so take one away and give her to Nicole! :cheer: Works for me!

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply