Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
SOD: Mia OUT!; Taylor Spreitler Fired
Topic Started: Apr 14 2010, 01:13 PM (5,065 Views)
lazydazes
Member Avatar

:hail: Thanks to whoever had the guts to put an end to this dead-end character. Mia was going nowhere fast. Now, if we could rid of some of those other annoying, lackluster teens I'd be in soap heaven.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

DesignatedShelley
Member Avatar

It's also a problem to bring on teens that can't act. Of the Langan teen scene, only JKJ and Kirsten Storms really panned out on that front, and KS not really until she went over to GH (Martha Madison was not as popular but was definitely the best acted Belle). Fath is still a terrible actress, Nadia is usually pretty lackluster, and JC is really just *okay*. That teen scene benefited from heavy exposure, it really helped sell them to young/new viewers ... on the flip side it irritated a lot of older viewers.

Right now, I think the younger males are stronger than the younger females. Molly, Taylor and Nadia all could use a lot of improvement, the gal playing Gabi is tolerable but not much more as of yet, whereas only the actor who plays Will really gives me question marks at this point. Mark Hapka, JKJ and Casey are very watchable, while the only younger actress who I might actually not dread watching is Shelley, who has shit for storyline.

Keith
Member Avatar

HALLELUJAH!

King
Member Avatar

Mia has been a huge part of my disappointment with DAYS lately.

She had potential. Potential that the show nor Taylor ever capitalized on.

This is good news for the show.

designergirl777
Member Avatar

Angie79
Apr 14 2010, 01:13 PM
DAYS's Mia Out

Digest has learned that Taylor Spreitler (Mia) has been let go from the NBC sudser she joined in January 2009. "I have enjoyed playing such a fun and ever changing character on daytime television and it has been an incredibly gratifying experience both professionally and personally," she says. "My heart will always be in Salem. Wanted to say thank you to all my fans for your support. I would also like to say thank you to [DAYS] for letting Mia stay around in Salem longer than expected and for that I am grateful. I will be busy filming at [DAYS] the next few weeks so don't forget to tune-in to see how Mia will leave Salem. Looking forward to the next journey in my career."

http://soapoperadigest.com/news/breaking/

Thank you God!!!! I couldn't stand her...MB is 10,000 times better than this chick....

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

King
Apr 14 2010, 11:18 PM
Mia has been a huge part of my disappointment with DAYS lately.

She had potential. Potential that the show nor Taylor ever capitalized on.

This is good news for the show.
How? She hasn't even been on that much in the past few months LOL.

Getting rid of her is a great move but she's already been pretty much phased out.

Zoe_Zeppelin
Member Avatar
It had been a wonderful evening and what I needed now, to give it the perfect ending, was a little of the Ludwig Van.

I wish I could say I'll miss her, but the truth is I won't.

King
Member Avatar

It seems like she's on whenever I tune in, Tim. Albeit, I don't tune in a lot anymore.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

King
Apr 15 2010, 01:46 AM
It seems like she's on whenever I tune in, Tim. Albeit, I don't tune in a lot anymore.
Fair enough. I was just shocked because I think she was only like 4 episodes in March, if that and only a few more then that in February. January was really her last month of significant airtime.

Whatever. She's gone LOL.

missor88

I really think the whole Chad/Mia/Will triangle had a LOT of potential, with a very compelling backstory. The problem is, it was SO horribly acted that it was an absolute misery to watch.

That being said, I wish they were recasting instead of having Mia leave town. I still think her story (particularly with good girl going bad) and her history with Chad makes her the most potentially compelling of the teen scene. Given that we are still stuck with Gabby and Chad, I'd rather Mia (portrayed by a teen powerhouse) be in the mix than just the ones we're left with.

dooldooldool

missor88
Apr 15 2010, 02:22 AM
I really think the whole Chad/Mia/Will triangle had a LOT of potential........I wish they were recasting instead of having Mia leave town. I still think her story (particularly with good girl going bad) and her history with Chad makes her the most potentially compelling
Bad acting isn't the only excuse. There was bad plotting, bad scripting, and bad storyline in general. It's easy to forget that Mia McCormick was basically day-player-ish at the outset. She was never intended to be longterm and only because she fell into the sparkly orbit of Ari Zucker did Mia become a contract player.

Chad and Mia were never believable as a couple. Especially since Mia was basically a one-night-stand backseat score for playah Chad. Will and Mia were equally odd. They were never shown as having anything in common other than Grace. Mia was supposedly a cheerleader at Salem West. That pep squad must have been mighty dismal if Miss McCormick was leading their routines. Mia as bookish nerd would have been believable. As Miss Pep, not so much.

We'll never know if the writers/producers realized early on that 2/3rds of the 2009 Teen Scene were unsuited for Lead Teen Roles. Maybe that's why they were given absolutely nothing to do but have repetitive, meandering, worthless chats while staring at black screens on turned-off laptops and flinging empty coffee cups around the set. Which came first -- the bad acting or the bad scripts/plots/storyline?

I'm about a week behind in viewing, but the scenes with Chad and his parents are pretty horrific on all sides, acting-wise. Sadly, it seems that Casey has spent too much airtime with the deadweight. It's affected his performance.

Conversely, tossing NuNuWill with GrannyKate has really worked.

sungrey

LuvingLumi
Apr 14 2010, 06:57 PM
Heck...maybe it's the beginning of another serial killer, or strangler storyline...there are enough that can be wacked off and be off screen for at least 6 months.....
No no no no a thousand times no, don't even go there with the serial killer stories... :frustration:

oldschoolfan

She was still on Days? ^o) Just kidding, not sorry to see her go. Good luck to her.

jane1978

missor88
I really think the whole Chad/Mia/Will triangle had a LOT of potential, with a very compelling backstory. The problem is, it was SO horribly acted that it was an absolute misery to watch.

That being said, I wish they were recasting instead of having Mia leave town. I still think her story (particularly with good girl going bad) and her history with Chad makes her the most potentially compelling of the teen scene. Given that we are still stuck with Gabby and Chad, I'd rather Mia (portrayed by a teen powerhouse) be in the mix than just the ones we're left with.
Gabby is connected to Rafe and Arianna. And itīs only matter of time till some Salem connection is revealed for Chad. I think poor Mia lucked out because after they already did two stories to make their originally minor characters more relatable there was no way they could do the same yet again for her (which is too bad because I would really love if she was Nicholīs daughter and Taylor was at her best working with Ari and they had the same kind of friendship Molly has with Suzan). And it seems all their attempts to connect her otherway failed as well. They tried the same trick theyīve done with Mel and use Maggie as her "mum" but the chemistry was never there. And she and Will had trouble to connect as well. I think she and Chad worked well even with the age difference but neither of them have any connection in Salem (as of now) so it would be hard to make people care about them and their relationship.

Anyway, I think thatīs it for the teen departures. I think Gabby/Chad pairing is a sure go now and they will probably bring someone completely new and more Belle-like for Will after his story with Mia definitely ends. I think Joy Wesley is a good idea as she would the same for Chloe Gabby does for Arianna, but I wouldnīt be at all surprised if they aged Ciara come fall. It would give Bope something to do after Carly and they are certainly bulding a lot of issues for her to deal with lately.

Paxton
Member Avatar
Dreaming of a Melanie-free Days

I for one am beyond thrilled that there is now (presumably, hope I didn't jinx myself) absolutely no chance that the speculative fanwanking that Nicole was either Mia's or Melanie's mother will never happen, an idea I always found ridiculous since fathers not knowing they have a child is one thing, but mothers? Either of those two would have been the very definition of a booby prize had Nicole discovered that after her miracle pregnacy ended she actually had a daughter she couldn't remember conceiving, carrying, delivering or getting rid of.
Edited by Paxton, Apr 15 2010, 11:35 AM.

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

Mia was the wink link in the teen scene. She had no family and the connection they were trying to force with Maggie was too much to take. Even Melanie's connection with Maggie feels natural. That's not the same way with Mia. While Will, Chad and Gabi all have ties to Salem, Mia didn't and it showed. I hope that if they decide to bring on a new girl into the teen scene, it's someone like Joy Wesley or Jeannie Donovan. It needs to be someone with a connection, unless they're going to slowly phase her into the canvas. That way, it would work, even if she wasn't related to anyone. We would slowly see her interacting with the other teens, get a feel for her, get to know her and it would work. But if they're just going to bring on some random chick that apparently goes to Salem High that we've never seen before and then just throw her into a front-burning storyline, it's not going to work.

Halloween Family
Member Avatar

dooldooldool
Apr 15 2010, 06:06 AM
I'm about a week behind in viewing, but the scenes with Chad and his parents are pretty horrific on all sides, acting-wise. Sadly, it seems that Casey has spent too much airtime with the deadweight. It's affected his performance.
Casey does have a charm to him but I have the feeling once he's onscreen more, people are going to go from "he's a good actor" to "he's horrible". It just wasn't so noticeable in the beginnning when he wasn't on that much. What I am seeing now, is what I saw in the beginning. It's just, he's not improved.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

missor88

I agree. It all just fell apart after Grace's funeral. TS and DP were never the same. The story didn't get built right. TS was sick or something and they couldn't use her as much so none of the teens got used. The story fell off the rails and it picked back up a bit once the baby switch unraveled but then it fell off the rails again. By that time, DP was already being phased out. It was always two steps forward, five steps back. Mia was the only character with any development but then TS's acting was a mess so it negated it. Then, Will got recasted and the show had to ease him in. Way too much inconsistency and not enough story building and development. I can't blame them for starting fresh.

I always felt as if you could pull off one teen not having a connection to the canvas so I was fine with Mia being that once Chad got some family. Afterall, Mia we had gotten to know through the baby switch story and she was living with Maggie. The trouble was the show never really utilized Maggie and Mia much at all and, when they did, it was too late and then they stopped doing it. They stunted her development after awhile, which I guess meant they had resigned themselves to getting rid of her.

With Mia gone, we have Will who has alot of ties. Chad has a family now and he could be getting another connection. Gabi has ties. If I were them, I would bring on three characters. One should be a sweetheart. One should be a bitch. The other should be another male and he should be just a cookie cutter good guy. I say bring on one of Justin and Adrienne's kids and also bring on Joy Wesley and another female to be named. Then show them with the adults regularly and develop a story out of the older character's stories and run with it.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

You know, I think this is just Taylor's method. I saw her on an episode of Law and order SVU (the one with Martin Short), and she was several years younger. She had SOME animation as she pleaded with mom not to answer the phone because she was late to a dance or whatever, but not much. She had the same kind of clenched teeth speech she does now. The girl could really benefit from an acting coach. Plus her monotone......
maybe if we smushed her and "Orbit Super White Teeth" Molly Burnett together, we'd actually have the norm for a decent actress! :D

Kiren
Member Avatar
Some people are alive only because it’s illegal to kill them.

sungrey
Apr 15 2010, 07:06 AM
LuvingLumi
Apr 14 2010, 06:57 PM
Heck...maybe it's the beginning of another serial killer, or strangler storyline...there are enough that can be wacked off and be off screen for at least 6 months.....
No no no no a thousand times no, don't even go there with the serial killer stories... :frustration:
Actually, I would like that since I've never seen that before. I'm probably the only one that hasn't. I like a good Whodunnnit murder mystery as well where the whole town has a motive!

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply