Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Logan Rave: The Phoenix Rises Again; Courtesy of TV Guide Print Magazine
Topic Started: Apr 20 2010, 03:20 PM (1,009 Views)
dc cubs
Member Avatar

Logan Rave: "The Phoenix" Rises Again!

Joe Mascolo has played Days of Our Lives' unstoppable, unkillable crime lord Stefano Dimera on and off since 1982, and you'd think that the actor --who is 81-- might be starting to lose his mojo. Oh, hell no! Stefano has stunningly reclaimed his power in Salem and, now that the writing is so much richer and smarter, Mascolo is doing the work of a lifetime -- especially in that recent love-hate battle when Stefano reduced his evil son EJ (James Scott) to baby tears. Breathtaking! Of course, we're a little leery because this NBC soap hasn't always treated Mascolo well. In fact, one time he got so mad he fled to The Bold and the Beautiful. Let's hope those Days are over!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Kenny
Member Avatar

Quote:

Mascolo is doing the work of a lifetime -- especially in that recent love-hate battle when Stefano reduced his evil son EJ (James Scott) to baby tears. Breathtaking!
I disagree.

This stuff with Stefano and EJ has been good, but it's hardly the "work of a lifetime." Stefano has been much more menacing and enjoyable in the past.
Quote:

Of course, we're a little leery because this NBC soap hasn't always treated Mascolo well. In fact, one time he got so mad he fled to The Bold and the Beautiful.
That's not quite how I remember it. He didn't "flee" to B&B. Days gave him a pink slip and Brad Bell took advantage of Ken Corday's stupidity. It's not as if Mascolo just got pissed and decided to quit the show and head for greener pastures. Was B&B really greener pastures, anyway?

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Kenny
Apr 20 2010, 03:30 PM
Quote:

Mascolo is doing the work of a lifetime -- especially in that recent love-hate battle when Stefano reduced his evil son EJ (James Scott) to baby tears. Breathtaking!
I disagree.

This stuff with Stefano and EJ has been good, but it's hardly the "work of a lifetime." Stefano has been much more menacing and enjoyable in the past.
Quote:

Of course, we're a little leery because this NBC soap hasn't always treated Mascolo well. In fact, one time he got so mad he fled to The Bold and the Beautiful.
That's not quite how I remember it. He didn't "flee" to B&B. Days gave him a pink slip and Brad Bell took advantage of Ken Corday's stupidity. It's not as if Mascolo just got pissed and decided to quit the show and head for greener pastures. Was B&B really greener pastures, anyway?
Actually, I believe he quit. The show balked at his salary demands and he was already unhappy with how Stefano was being written so he quit and went to B&B.

I agree Joe has been great but you gotta love Logan and his acting like this is some sort of new development. Stefano's been written this way since Tony died last year. He's really no different. Sure, we didn't see him much from January-March (and it was absurd to have Stefano be the last one to know everything during that period) but, for some reason, that always seems to happen and then Joe gets ample work the rest of the year. I don't get what the hell he is raving about. The only scene I felt was Emmy worthy was the scene where EJ broke down and then the scene later when he latched on to Stefano's arm.

lysie
Member Avatar

dc cubs
Apr 20 2010, 03:20 PM
now that the writing is so much richer and smarter
I didn't make it past this.

:laugh:

Kenny
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Apr 20 2010, 03:33 PM
Actually, I believe he quit. The show balked at his salary demands and he was already unhappy with how Stefano was being written so he quit and went to B&B.
Really? I could've sworn the show shit-canned him.

Clearly my memory isn't as good as it used to be, LoL.

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

I will agree that it's nice seeing Stefano back in control of things on the show. EJ can be dastardly, but he'll never be his father and Stefano will always be one step ahead of him eventually. Glad to see that played out that way.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Kenny
Apr 20 2010, 03:42 PM
PhoenixRising05
Really? I could've sworn that the show shit-canned him.

Clearly my memory isn't as good as it used to be, LoL.
Yeah. I remember the negotiations dragged out over like 5 months and like every other week there was an update on it. I remember one headline had Joe saying "The ball was in their court." In late April, they had no agreement and then it was confirmed that he would be leaving. I think that is why his exit was somewhat rushed. The show held out hope until the last minute that he would stay and he didn't.

TINA222
Member Avatar

Joe has always been awsome. Sometimes he doesnt get the material to work with. Like when they stupidly put him in a coma and kept him out of the kidnapping storyline. His scenes with James have been the highlight though. I like this Stefano.

SocRMum1
Member Avatar
Much prefers sweevil, snarky EJ over Father Figure Fucktard Eejiot.

PhoenixRising05
I don't get what the hell he is raving about. The only scene I felt was Emmy worthy was the scene where EJ broke down and then the scene later when he latched on to Stefano's arm.
And that was so compelling primarily because of JS's performance - although I do think Joe was stellar, too.

sungrey

Now that the writing is so much richer and smarter. Logan, Logan, Logan... tsk tsk, how much were you paid to say that?

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply