Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Soaps.com interview with James Scott
Topic Started: Apr 21 2010, 04:28 PM (15,127 Views)
Ellie

http://soaps.sheknows.com/daysofourlives/news/id/8313/

Soaps.com recently had the opportunity to chat with Days of Our Lives star James Scott, who plays the evil and manipulative, but still vulnerable, EJ DiMera. Read on as James discusses his views on what makes his character tick, whether EJ truly loves Sami, getting the best of Stefano, and much more!

Soaps.com: EJ DiMera is arguably the hottest character on Days right now. It seems like every second post on the Soaps.com message boards is about him. How is EJ so engaging?

James: That is very kind of you! [chuckles] I think the reason why EJ is so engaging is because he's such an interesting character. He's one of the few characters on the show that really has a lot going on. I try to make him interesting to watch because of this bad side he has. He has this side to him that's not entirely honest. I try to avoid making him out to be one of these characters that doesn't have some of the more vulnerable qualities that are easy to forget about when, every five minutes, you're just being a tough guy. And I think by doing that, by making him more human or by giving him some of these shortcomings, I'd like to think it makes him more interesting. You certainly don't always get somebody who's just a toughie. EJ lands on his face almost as much as he lands on his feet. And that's what I like about him! [laughs] But I did not know that he was so commented about on your website. I certainly need to go have a look!

Soaps.com: There are viewers who love EJ and viewers who love to hate EJ! Either way, it seems that everyone's got an opinion on your character. But according to you – what is EJ DeMira all about? What makes EJ tick?

James: That's a good question. That's kind of an interesting one. You see, EJ's pretty reactionary in his life. Often his deeds and actions are really defined by other people. For example, kidnapping Sydney is something EJ would not have done if not for the fact that he felt so betrayed by Samantha. Going after Samantha in the first place is not really something he would have done, or maybe he wouldn't have done, if not for the fact that he was instructed to do it by his father. I don't feel you often get a very strong sense as to who EJ really is. He's often reacting to situations which is really a sign of weakness. I don't think he's this super cool, strong character. He's somebody who's not as together as he might like to think he is. He has his moments and certainly learns a lot from his father. But he's not his father. He's coming into it in a way, but he has a long way to go before he's able to really be as calculated as Stefano.

Soaps.com: At this moment, does EJ really have good intentions where Sami is concerned?

James: He does, absolutely! But the fans have every reason to doubt EJ because he's not demonstrated that he's reliable. The one thing I have played consistently for a long time is that EJ loves Sami. Even when EJ hated Sami, he only really hated her because he loved her. So there is no doubt in my mind, as the actor who plays EJ, that the only person who has really shown EJ how love feels, or how it can feel, is Sami. And I think they're an obvious couple, you know. They're very similar to each other, which is the reason it works and also the reason why it hasn't worked so far. I would love very much for them to be able to get over some of the stuff they've done to each other. I think they could have a lot of fun as a couple. But I mean, really, for the last 18-24 months, Sami has been little innocent Sami Brady. The last 14 years? She's a bitch! [laughs]

Soaps.com: [laughs] Couldn't have said it any better myself!

James: [laughs] Exactly. Let's not forget who we're dealing with. But like I said, her and EJ have a great deal in common. They're cut from the same cloth. I believe that if they were given the opportunity to have that relationship, it would really be a good one.

Soaps.com: Are things going to work out for the two of them?

James: I don't know. And I say that because I really, really don't know! [chuckles] The show is keeping fairly tight-lipped over this. If it doesn't happen soon, or this time around, I would eventually like to see the writers write that story. And I think Alison (Sweeney, Sami Brady, DOOL) has said the same thing. You see, EJ and Sami have never really been together. Never. They've kissed a couple of times, they've had sex twice, once under a certain amount of duress, and another time when it was just a one-shot deal that was interrupted by Lucas! These characters have never really been allowed to breathe, but if they were given that opportunity, you would see something really special. I think the fact that there's this much support for a couple that's never really happened, it definitely speaks volumes.

Soaps.com: If Sami and EJ don't end up working out, what other character might we see EJ hook up with?

James: I don't know, really, to be honest ...

Soaps.com: Some fans have been throwing Arianna's name around ...

James: EJ doesn't really know Arianna. They don't really have a relationship, or even a friendship, other than a pocketful of scenes together here and there. So there's not a huge amount going on, although she's very attractive and seems very sweet. The writers would have to write something that would allow things to develop, and they haven't done that yet.

Soaps.com: Let's get back to what you said earlier about EJ's relationship with Stefano. Would you say that EJ one-upped him with the “Sydnapping?” And should we expect the power to shift anytime soon in this father/son duo?

James: Do I think EJ one-upped Stefano? Yes, he did. He pulled the wool over his father's eyes. It's not very often that you get to pull a fast one on Stefano! [Chuckles] But now Stefano knows and is working it to his own advantage. At the end of the day, it's EJ who's going to be led around by his short and curlies!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

SocRMum1
Member Avatar
Much prefers sweevil, snarky EJ over Father Figure Fucktard Eejiot.

I abso-freakin-lutely LOVE this interview! :cheer: :cheer:

I see no indication whatsoever that James is tired of the EJami story or would prefer to do something else. And I couldn't agree more with him on how great the EJami pairing could be.

Thanks for posting, Ellie! :D

SoapGal1
Member Avatar

Ahhh......James Scott!! :wub:

Loved it! :cheer:

Loved the last line.................by the short & curlies!! :laugh:

TINA222
Member Avatar

Quote:

She's a bitch.
Thank you James. :lol: Notice the present tense. I would love for them to explore EJ with Arianna.

gailwinters
Member Avatar

Now that's a good interview! :cheer: :cheer:

Sound like James has a good handle on EJ's character, as well as Sami's.

Edited by gailwinters, Apr 21 2010, 04:46 PM.

Aliaron
Member Avatar

You know why James is everywhere? They've been pimping his character for the last fucking 4 or 5 years! What other newbie character has had every character, especially the vets dumb down, to pimp him as much as EJ Dimera.

He's been a part of storylines he had no business in. Hell, most of the stuff written for him is horrible.

I seriously can't stand James Scott. Not so much the person but the who he represents. Because to me, he represents what's wrong with soaps in general. This pushing of the new "hot" guy to the point where the only people left watching are his fans. Not fans of the show in general.

To me, that's part of what killed GL. The Johnathan character and the actor who played him and his rabid fanbase. GL's PTB formed the entire show around this dude. And it ruined the show.

DOOL has done the same thing with EJ.

The pimping of EJ has destroyed some of my favorite characters. They rewrote Lucas to push him. Mickey was used to pimp him. They rewrote Sami. They rewrote Nicole. Heck, they rewrote Steve and half of the Bradys.

EJ is a character with no real history or characteristics. He is rewritten every year or so but we're supposed to believe he's a stable character.

James Scott does not know Sami Brady's character. The real Samantha Gene Brady would not be a love interest to EJ Dimera. She would be the one bringing down that entire family.

EJ is a poor version of a 16 year old Sami but in a grown ass man. Sami would feel pity and disgust, not love for such a character.
Edited by Aliaron, Apr 21 2010, 05:22 PM.

Liz<3Days
Member Avatar

This is pure comedy gold! Someone's afraid for their job?!

Thanks for posting!

Ponz
Member Avatar

Wow. That is the most shameless piece of pandering garbage I think I've ever read. Put down the crack pipe, James.

Zoe_Zeppelin
Member Avatar
It had been a wonderful evening and what I needed now, to give it the perfect ending, was a little of the Ludwig Van.

Aliaron
Apr 21 2010, 05:14 PM
You know why James is everywhere? They've been pimping his character for the last fucking 4 or 5 years! What other newbie character has had every character, especially the vets dumb down, to pimp him as much as EJ Dimera.

He's been a part of storylines he had no business in. Hell, most of the stuff written for him is horrible.

I seriously can't stand James Scott. Not so much the person but the who he represents. Because to me, he represents what's wrong with soaps in general. This pushing of the new "hot" guy to the point where the only people left watching are his fans. Not fans of the show in general.

To me, that's part of what killed GL. The Johnathan character and the actor who played him and his rabid fanbase. GL's PTB formed the entire show around this dude. And it ruined the show.

DOOL has done the same thing with EJ.

The pimping of EJ has destroyed some of my favorite characters. They rewrote Lucas to push him. Mickey was used to pimp him. They rewrote Sami. They rewrote Nicole. Heck, they rewrote Steve and half of the Bradys.

EJ is a character with no real history or characteristics. He is rewritten every year or so but we're supposed to believe he's a stable character.

James Scott does not know Sami Brady's character. The real Samantha Gene Brady would not be a love interest to EJ Dimera. She would be the one bringing down that entire family.
Bravo! :applause: I agree with everything you've said.

EDIT: Thanks Ellie! :)
Edited by Zoe_Zeppelin, Apr 21 2010, 05:23 PM.

aimees76
Member Avatar

What a jackass.

BH90210
Member Avatar

Why all the James hate? I love him. His character needs to be rid of Sami, absolute dead weight character. I do want him back with Nicole, James and Ari were :wub: :wub:

Sariah
Member Avatar

Aliaron
Apr 21 2010, 05:14 PM
Melanie Layton.

Aliaron
Member Avatar

Why the James hate? Because I, honestly, thinks he doesn't give a two bit shit about the history of DOOL or the show period. And it pisses me off that its being ruined for a guy who basically was like 'who cares' when all the vets got fired. If I'm going to be forced to love/hate someone at least make it someone worth carrying about it.

I also think he talks out of his butt about characters. Like when he gave that interview explaining Stephano (a newbie character explaing Stephano... WTF!?).

And not even Melanie has had as many vets rewritten to pimp her. When you think about it, she's not even spent that much time with vets in her storyline.

For EJ, they've had everyone except Alice (who I'm sure if she had been healthy at the time, they would have had her make donuts for the nice gentleman :eyeroll: ) pimp this guy.

People think its fans have a love/hate relationship with EJ Dimera. No. There was a love/hate relationship with GL's Roger Thorpe or DOOL's Stephano. Sometimes you loved them. Sometimes you hated them.

But I generally have come to hate EJ and the way he's sucking up all the air on Days.
Edited by Aliaron, Apr 21 2010, 05:49 PM.

Kiren
Member Avatar
Some people are alive only because it’s illegal to kill them.

Wow, we got us some bitter-bob's n' betty's up in here!

Love James, he cracks me up. Love it! been saying that a lot lately, Love it Love it Love it!Adore that James wants to explore Sami and EJ finally as a couple. It's only natural.

He has by view of EJ right on the money. Reactionary like Sami, vulnerable-like Sami- but they make themselves believe that they can hold the weight of the world on their shoulders. I can;t wait to see them together, from Scarlet's PBP of today's Canadian episode, EJami look like they're going to have a pretty amazing day!

How does he seem afraid for his job in this article, Ponz? he's talking about his character, the possibility of EJami, the current impossibility of Arianna and his relationship w/Stefano. I don't understand..

..short and curlies... teehee *blushes*

Zoe_Zeppelin
Member Avatar
It had been a wonderful evening and what I needed now, to give it the perfect ending, was a little of the Ludwig Van.

@ Serendipity - I can't speak for anyone else, but I don't hate JS. I promise. I've been a long-time fan since his pre-DOOL days. It just disheartening what TPTB have done to the character he portrays. EJ's anchored to dead weight and going no where fast. JS is a high-caliber actor with loads potential. Unfortunately, he's stuck with the same old recycled bullshit. James deserves better.

TINA222
Member Avatar

Sami is ruining EJ. when they decided to reform redeem whatever you want to call it. There was nothing wrong with the way EJ was with Kate. Or how he was with Nicole. That Sami is the most disgusting annoying unattractive glittery moron on the planet. and EJ wants THAT? Makes him look stupid and he has no brains. I hope they can fix it. James is very talented but even I who has supported him. its becoming harder and harder. I get that he has to pimp the storyline now. But Im not seeing any passion in his acting. I see it with Joe and Ari but AS? That woman is a blackhole and every actor who works with her suffers. James isnt going to get shine with her. I want him to work with real actors not famewhores who only want more screen time. Who rehearse over the phone.
Edited by TINA222, Apr 21 2010, 05:54 PM.

Criss33
Member Avatar

Great interview, he answered alot of questions people have been asking that last couple of days about where the story is heading and finally end to those EJ and Ari rumors. James is a big supporter of EJAMI from day one, and what James wants James will get, it is what alot of people have been thinking an EJAMI story done right this time around!!!! TFP
Can't wait!!!!

Kiren
Member Avatar
Some people are alive only because it’s illegal to kill them.

Aliaron
Apr 21 2010, 05:43 PM
Why the James hate? Because I, honestly, thinks he doesn't give a two bit shit about the history of DOOL or the show period. I think he talks out of his butt about characters. Like when he gave that interview explaining Stephano (a newbie character explaing Stephano... WTF!?).

And not even Melanie has had as many vets rewritten to pimp her. When you think about it, she's not even spent that much time with vets in her storyline.

For EJ, they've had everyone except Alice (who I'm sure if she had been healthy at the time, they would have had her make donuts for the nice gentleman :eyeroll: ) pimp this guy.

People think its fans have a love/hate relationship with EJ Dimera. No. There was a love/hate relationship with GL's Roger Thorpe or DOOL's Stephano. Sometimes you loved them. Sometimes you hated them.

But I generally have come to hate EJ and the way he's sucking up all the air on Days.
What interview?

And so he was asked to explain Stefano and he did to the best of his ability I assume.. It's not as if he has to go back and do research on all of DOOL's history.

Zoe_Zeppelin
Member Avatar

TINA222
Apr 21 2010, 05:47 PM
Sami is ruining EJ. when they decided to reform redeem whatever you want to call it. There was nothing wrong with the way EJ was with Kate. Or how he was with Nicole. That Sami is the most disgusting annoying unattractive glittery moron on the planet. and EJ wants THAT? Makes him look stupid and he has no brains. I hope they can fix it.
So very true Tina.

BH90210
Member Avatar

Zoe_Zeppelin
Apr 21 2010, 05:45 PM
@ Serendipity - I can't speak for anyone else, but I don't hate JS. I promise. I've been a long-time fan since his pre-DOOL days. It just disheartening what TPTB have done to the character he portrays. EJ's anchored to dead weight and going no where fast. JS is a high-caliber actor with loads potential. Unfortunately, he's stuck with the same old recycled bullshit. James deserves better.
I do agree he deserves better. And IMO that can be achieved if he gets away from that dead weight Sami Brady. In order to be the “wonderful and pure” Sami he will have to change. It looks like it’s already begun, and that takes away from the character.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create a free forum in seconds.
Learn More · Sign-up Now
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply