Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Days recasts Bill Horton for Frances Reid tribute
Topic Started: Apr 23 2010, 09:26 AM (4,438 Views)
lysie
Member Avatar

SOD: DAYS Recasts Bill Horton

Soap Opera Digest can report exclusively that John Martin, who is best known to soap fans as Y&R's Frederick (2002-2005) and SUNSET BEACH's Hank (1997-1999), has been cast as Bill Horton for the upcoming on-air farewell to Frances Reid (ex-Alice) in June. The previous actors to play Bill Ed Mallory (1968-1976) and Christopher Stone (1987-88; 1994) have sadly both passed away. Martin briefly appeared in Salem in 1985 as a character named Robert.

http://soapoperadigest.com/news/breaking/
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Liz<3Days
Member Avatar

Interesting! I wonder after all these Hortons coming back, if DAYS would be willing to keep some of them on past the funeral/tribute? DAYS really needs some more Hortons!

Thanks for posting!

KMan101
Member Avatar

WOW! They actually recast! I'm impressed. I like John Martin. Good casting and he'll look great with Jaime Lyn Bauer. It is kinda interesting that Bill and Laura have both been so de-aged.

LovingDays

A good recast right now i would like to See Martha Madison back as Belle and fire :P Brandon Beemer from BB and comes back to play Shawn again
Edited by LovingDays, Apr 23 2010, 09:40 AM.

IMissAremid
Member Avatar
After all... tomorrow is another day!

Wow.

Does that just leave Tommy, Shawn D, the Bannings, the Fallons and Hope's brother out of the Horton mix?

darraholic
Member Avatar

Good casting choice. I still hope they show flashbacks of Bill though. If OLTL can do it with Asian Blair then DAYS can do it too.

SocRMum1
Member Avatar
Much prefers sweevil, snarky EJ over Father Figure Fucktard Eejiot.

Very cool! I'm glad they took the steps to recast the character and aren't glossing over it.

Thanks for posting, Lysie!

lysie
Member Avatar

IMissAremid
Apr 23 2010, 09:43 AM
Wow.

Does that just leave Tommy, Shawn D, the Bannings, the Fallons and Hope's brother out of the Horton mix?
Just? LOL. That was kind of a long list!

Drew
Member Avatar
#bbuk

Unless he's going to be a full time addition, why?????

Ellie

Drew
Apr 23 2010, 10:11 AM
Agree. Days is known for making lame excuses for every character in the world who can't be somewhere. People have missed their brothers'/sisters'/parents'/children's weddings and funerals and everything in between. Days has killed off characters like Mickey (whose portrayer is still alive!) without a second thought. But now they do a one-time recast??

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

Geez. John Martin is *way* too young to play Bill. He's the same age as Wesley Eure who played Bill's son Mike in the 1970s --- and he's younger than both Suzanne Rogers and Susan Seaforth Hayes.

dc cubs
Member Avatar

I'm glad they are addressing the Bill issue instead of saying he's in the kitchen. I'm not familiar with Martin but I look forward to seeing Bill interact with his family.

Kevc1980
Member Avatar

Great news. It will be nice to see a Bill Horton again. Wow Lucas will get to meet his father.

Deleted User
Deleted User

Kevc1980
Apr 23 2010, 11:32 AM
Great news. It will be nice to see a Bill Horton again. Wow Lucas will get to meet his father.
Lucas HAS met his father. Albeit not for very long, but ...
Quote Post Goto Top

lysie
Member Avatar

Amello
Apr 23 2010, 11:33 AM
Kevc1980
He's spent time with him in Africa, so they're seemingly well acquainted.

Deleted User
Deleted User

lysie
Apr 23 2010, 11:34 AM
Amello
Kevc1980
Plus, they plot pointed together in the nineties when the Lucas reveal first happened.
Quote Post Goto Top

lysie
Member Avatar

Amello
Apr 23 2010, 11:36 AM
lysie
Apr 23 2010, 11:34 AM
Amello

Quoting limited to 3 levels deep
Plus, they plot pointed together in the nineties when the Lucas reveal first happened.
:laugh: Yes, they did.

I am kind of excited about the prospect of Bill, Jennifer, Lucas, and Mike. "Excited" is really too strong of an adjective, though.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Ellie
Apr 23 2010, 10:13 AM
Drew
Apr 23 2010, 10:11 AM
Agree. Days is known for making lame excuses for every character in the world who can't be somewhere. People have missed their brothers'/sisters'/parents'/children's weddings and funerals and everything in between. Days has killed off characters like Mickey (whose portrayer is still alive!) without a second thought. But now they do a one-time recast??
But how often does the matriarch of the show die? This HAD to happen.

It's not like Bill is Tommy (although I wish they would acknowledge him too but it's been years and they didn't even mention him at Tom's funeral so you probably can just leave it be). Bill has been kept present by Jennifer and Lucas over the years. You always heard mentions of him whether Lucas was going to Africa to see him or (when Jen was on the show) he was calling her or sending her and Abby stuff.

He's Alice's son and he should be there. I wish they would bring some others in too like Marlena, Shawn, and Wayne's Roman too but I will give the show props for what it has done. They've covered most of the casting bases.

it's funny that even when Days does something right some have to question or bash. How can a decision like this be bashed? It boggles my mind. They want Bill Horton present, as it should be. Just because they've made excuses in the past doesn't man you do it now and you definitely don't do it in this instance when it's a tribute for Frances Reid. Days needs to as much as possible. If not, then it would be a travesty.

Anyway, not a big fan of John Martin (Tomlin clearly knew him from Sunset so he turned to a friend to step in) but he's not horrible and I don't think the age really matters. He looked about 60 the last time I seen him in anything so he can easily look much older now. They probably wouldn't be able to get big names like Jerry Douglas for this but, as long as the character is there, I'm good. I just hope they use as many flashbacks as possible, regardless of all the recasts.
Edited by PhoenixRising05, Apr 23 2010, 11:47 AM.

DesignatedShelley
Member Avatar

Very interesting, though I don't know how to feel. On the one hand, Bill, Laura, Mike, and Jennifer = pretty awesomesauce to me, even if it's not even my favorite Mike and I don't like JLB!Laura that much. On the other hand, I really wanted some Bill flashbacks and I feel like they're not going to go there if they're going to recast him with this guy. I don't get why, either. Are they going to actually do something with Bill? I suppose it's a gratifying gesture if you look at it as TPTB actually getting off their asses for this tribute, but ... yeah, I don't know. Guess we'll just see how well it turns out.

Does make me sad all over again that Ed Mallory is dead, though.

Ellie

PhoenixRising05
Apr 23 2010, 11:44 AM
it's funny that even when Days does something right some have to question or bash. How can a decision like this be bashed? It boggles my mind. They want Bill Horton present, as it should be. Just because they've made excuses in the past doesn't man you do it now and you definitely don't do it in this instance when it's a tribute for Frances Reid. Days needs to as much as possible. If not, then it would be a travesty.
Viewers won't identify with the character as Bill, it's poor casting in the first place, and my point in bringing up the past was to show that it doesn't even need to be done. Days has had emotional weddings/funerals/whatever without recasting. I don't see how a token recast like this will help at all. It's a tribute to Frances to do a one-time recast? I'll be honest: they must have known Frances was quite ill when they made the decision to kill off John Clarke's character. Did they care then? Do they care that they're not bringing back the other characters you mention? As BillyJill mentions, did they now prevent themselves from doing any flashbacks? I have a hard time crediting them for making a decision like this, and I'm sorry, I don't think it was motivated by the desire to honor Frances. I think this is a careless, quick decision just like all the others.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply