Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Days recasts Bill Horton for Frances Reid tribute
Topic Started: Apr 23 2010, 09:26 AM (4,395 Views)
HJBJDJ

I don't know why some people are so set and firm that John Clarke would have returned to shoot a few episodes for Alice's memorial if they didn't kill off Mickey. In the SOD article about the memorial for Frances Reid, it said that Suzanne read a statement from John who did not attend.

I read on some board over a year ago at least, of a poster who had happened to run into John and his wife. They commented that he had had a stroke, didn't walk well even with use of a cane and had some speech problems.

I like that they are going to have the presence of Bill there. Obviously they can't please everyone some are going to think Bill should be there, some are going to think if none of the principle Bill portrayers could be used none should. I happen to think more people will appreciate the effort to have Bill accounted for than not.

And just because we have other people in roles doesn't mean we can't have flashbacks with other people in those roles. Ed Mallory hadn't been Bill for 30 years, save a few episodes in '91 and '92. So what if the character looks a little different. He's also suppose to be 30-45 years younger in these flashbacks as well.

I remember when AW had their celebration of Victoria Wyndhams 25th Anniversary as Rachel. Even though there was a current Amanda and Matt (her children) on the show, (Jamie had been off the show a few years) they had flashbacks of every incarnation of Matt, Amanda, and Jamie. There was the Red head Amanda, Brunette Amanda, Blonde Amanda mulitple child Amandas, 3 or 4 Matt's, countless Jamie's.

And really this celebration of Alice's life, is for the long time fans NOT new fans. New Fans probably don't even know anything about Alice, except for the few mentions of her that pop up every so often. She hasn't been seen since 2007. That's 3 years now. And even in the few years before that, she was only seen sporatically. So it's not like 'newer' fans have a great connection to her. To them she's just Hope's unseen Grand, Maggie's unseen mother in law.

This is for the longtime fans so, who's face is in the flashbacks doesn't matter because the longtime fans know who's who and what's what. And they would appreciate that the show doesn't insult their intelligence by thinking they're to easily confused at the thought of more than one person playing a role.

And for those newer fans, it will be a good history lesson for them. They will be able to tell from the reactions of all their current favorites, the inflood of former characters, and the distress and sadness of everyone that Alice Horton meant a great deal to the characters and the show. Maybe I'm different but when I first started watching, I used to love seeing old flashbacks and learning about the history and characters of the shows years gone by.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

lysie
Member Avatar

HJBJDJ
Apr 23 2010, 09:47 PM
I don't know why some people are so set and firm that John Clarke would have returned to shoot a few episodes for Alice's memorial if they didn't kill off Mickey. In the SOD article about the memorial for Frances Reid, it said that Suzanne read a statement from John who did not attend.

I read on some board over a year ago at least, of a poster who had happened to run into John and his wife. They commented that he had had a stroke, didn't walk well even with use of a cane and had some speech problems.

I like that they are going to have the presence of Bill there. Obviously they can't please everyone some are going to think Bill should be there, some are going to think if none of the principle Bill portrayers could be used none should. I happen to think more people will appreciate the effort to have Bill accounted for than not.

And just because we have other people in roles doesn't mean we can't have flashbacks with other people in those roles. Ed Mallory hadn't been Bill for 30 years, save a few episodes in '91 and '92. So what if the character looks a little different. He's also suppose to be 30-45 years younger in these flashbacks as well.

I remember when AW had their celebration of Victoria Wyndhams 25th Anniversary as Rachel. Even though there was a current Amanda and Matt (her children) on the show, (Jamie had been off the show a few years) they had flashbacks of every incarnation of Matt, Amanda, and Jamie. There was the Red head Amanda, Brunette Amanda, Blonde Amanda mulitple child Amandas, 3 or 4 Matt's, countless Jamie's.

And really this celebration of Alice's life, is for the long time fans NOT new fans. New Fans probably don't even know anything about Alice, except for the few mentions of her that pop up every so often. She hasn't been seen since 2007. That's 3 years now. And even in the few years before that, she was only seen sporatically. So it's not like 'newer' fans have a great connection to her. To them she's just Hope's unseen Grand, Maggie's unseen mother in law.

This is for the longtime fans so, who's face is in the flashbacks doesn't matter because the longtime fans know who's who and what's what. And they would appreciate that the show doesn't insult their intelligence by thinking they're to easily confused at the thought of more than one person playing a role.

And for those newer fans, it will be a good history lesson for them. They will be able to tell from the reactions of all their current favorites, the inflood of former characters, and the distress and sadness of everyone that Alice Horton meant a great deal to the characters and the show. Maybe I'm different but when I first started watching, I used to love seeing old flashbacks and learning about the history and characters of the shows years gone by.
I don't think anyone is set and firm that he would have returned. I think he would have been more likely to return for this than anything else. But since they just killed off Mickey, we'll never know.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

DesignatedShelley
Member Avatar

HJBJDJ
Apr 23 2010, 09:47 PM
Maybe I'm different but when I first started watching, I used to love seeing old flashbacks and learning about the history and characters of the shows years gone by.
I still love flashbacks, there's so much of the show I've never seen at all before. I kind of dread that they're going to trot out every flashback we've all seen over the past ten years, but even then, they'll be new to someone. These occasions are like pulling out the family album for me, I want a million billion gajillion flashbacks!

Kevc1980
Member Avatar

I'm just so excited for this. I'm really impressed that Days seems to have gone all out for this memorial service. We are getting a ton of returns.

King
Member Avatar

Wow! loved him on SUN. Awesome.

Getting very excited for this.

morlock sevigny

The problem with all of this id Days ignoring the Horton family for years.

We should have seen many of these characters over the years,so that all viewers were aware of the family.Perhaps more visits at Xmas to keep us updated on those characters.

I understand that not every actor and character can be onscreen,but there have been a lot of wasted opportunities.

Firstly,Tommy should have been killed off when John Lupton died in 93.As the character had not been seen or mentioned much for 13 years,it would not have to have been a big deal.Maybe Mickey taking a call and informing Maggie.Them comforting Tom & Alice and stating that the Hortons were travelling to Hawaii for the funeral.(Was it ever stated that that was where Tommy was?)

A flashback scene and in memoriam card at the end.That would pretty much be it.

Then when Edward Mallory passed,the same thing could occur.Have the funeral take place elsewhere and depending on who they could get have a memorial gathering in Salem.

When Nick was introduced Marie and or Jessica should have been a part of that.Melissa should have popped in from time to time to be there for Hope and Maggie etc

It would have been great to have Gregg Marx,Stephen Schnetzer,Pam Roylance there for the funeral.I'm sure that they each had scenes with Alice.

That way all the Hortons wherabouts could be addressed for the 45th anni,

IMissAremid
Member Avatar
After all... tomorrow is another day!

morlock sevigny
Apr 26 2010, 04:10 AM

We should have seen many of these characters over the years,so that all viewers were aware of the family.Perhaps more visits at Xmas to keep us updated on those characters.

I understand that not every actor and character can be onscreen,but there have been a lot of wasted opportunities.

Firstly,Tommy should have been killed off when John Lupton died in 93.As the character had not been seen or mentioned much for 13 years,it would not have to have been a big deal.Maybe Mickey taking a call and informing Maggie.Them comforting Tom & Alice and stating that the Hortons were travelling to Hawaii for the funeral.(Was it ever stated that that was where Tommy was?)

Then when Edward Mallory passed,the same thing could occur.Have the funeral take place elsewhere and depending on who they could get have a memorial gathering in Salem.

When Nick was introduced Marie and or Jessica should have been a part of that.Melissa should have popped in from time to time to be there for Hope and Maggie etc

It would have been great to have Gregg Marx,Stephen Schnetzer,Pam Roylance there for the funeral.I'm sure that they each had scenes with Alice.

Great post.

The Horton neglect really has been unforgivable the last 15+ years.

Fafokahw
Member Avatar

morlock sevigny
Apr 26 2010, 04:10 AM

Great post :hail:
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply