Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Fairman interview with Jim Romanovich on Emmys
Topic Started: Apr 27 2010, 12:29 PM (672 Views)
Ellie

http://michaelfairmansoaps.com/interviews/the-jim-romanovich-interview-37th-annual-daytime-emmys/2010/04/27/

April 27th, 2010
The Jim Romanovich Interview- 37th Annual Daytime Emmys

Associated Television International’s, Jim Romanovich, President, Worldwide Media and Entertainment spoke to On-Air On-Soaps to bring us up to date on the just announced plans for the telecast of the presentation of the 37th Annual Daytime Emmys. Soap fans were somewhat in a state of shock this past Friday, when it was revealed that CBS has agreed to air the broadcast this June, and so the Emmys are back on network television! However, one major difference; the show won’t be emanating from Los Angeles or New York, but “Sin City”…Las Vegas. Jim shares his thoughts, and gives us a peek at what went down behind-the-scenes with NATAS and CBS to give daytime fans another year to see their favorites honored and recognized. He also responds to issues concerning last year’s creative decisions and inherent problems, and how it may or may not be different this year.

MICHAEL:

What can you speak to, as far as special presentations and honors for the televised broadcast?

JIM:

I can’t give too many details, but one tribute we are planning is the Lifetime Achievement Award. We did not choose the recipient, but NATAS did and that person has not been contacted yet. If they agree, then they will be honored by it. I think a lot of people in the soaps would agree and will love it.

MICHAEL:

Why Vegas?

JIM:

The Vegas idea has been going and has been a done deal since November, because of the success we had in last August’s Emmy presentation. And, it’s the 40th Anniversary of the Las Vegas Hilton. It’s a big milestone for them. I think Vegas and Daytime have a synergy about fashion, glitz and glamour, and all that. We did not want to repeat what we did last year. We thought we brought something back, and we are taking it to the next step. CBS took a while and NATAS took a while for all this to become a reality.

MICHAEL:

What were the stumbling blocks that dragged out the confirmation of a televised broadcast?

JIM:

The stumbling block with NATAS was the same thing it always has been, which is money, because their survival is always on ticket sales. Did it make sense to do a TV show in Las Vegas? Or, did it make sense just to have a dinner at the Beverly Hills Hotel in Los Angeles, and keep their overhead low and get a bunch of people to come? Our feeling is, and still is, that the Daytime Emmys deserve to be on television, and it’s important for NATAS’s survival be on TV. It was a long process because you are dealing with board members, and trustees, and everything is by committee.

MICHAEL:

Vegas seems a very odd choice. Are you going to fly people there, when last year it was hard to get people to LA from the NY shows?

JIM:

Well, first of all, there are less people in the soaps now in New York. (Laughs) Listen; if we were living in a perfect world, everything should be in New York, in my opinion. LA was never supposed to be the soap town; it was always supposed to be New York. What we are trying to do is rebuild it for what today’s realities are, and that is the daytime community is really more west coast based now.

MICHAEL:

Was it somehow a cost effective move, deciding to mount the show in Vegas?

JIM:

No, not really. It can be more expensive. Last year we wanted to make a point with the Orpheum. We wanted to give it a sense of grandeur. The location was not ideal by any stretch of the imagination. Would we have rather been in the Kodak Theatre? Absolutely, but the Kodak was not available. So what we tried to do is improvise it and make it a mini-Radio City Music Hall feel. And because of that, we are now taking it to the next level of showmanship and entertainment. The CBS deal would have never happened had it not been for Las Vegas. It gave them another angle to promote. They wanted a real show, and they wanted something that they felt would boost the ratings.

MICHAEL:

People were shocked that CBS was going to air the show when they canceled two of their soaps, As the World Turns and Guiding Light within the last year and a half. What would you say to those that are feeling that CBS is sending out a mixed message to the soap fans?

JIM:

CBS is a business. They are not emotionally involved in anything, and that includes Let’s Make A Deal, or if 20,000 Pyramid or Password comes back. What they are looking at is money. They want to be in the business of making good shows and making money. Unfortunately, As the World Turns – as great as the strides have been the last year – they had been declining for the past several years. TeleNext tells me they would have loved to continue it. I know CBS is not looking to get out of the soap business, and that is not their mantra. They have two of the top rated soaps. B&B is the number one show internationally, and Y&R is the number one daytime show, and does better ratings then many primetime dramas. Daytime is very important to them, and everything that goes along with it. They want to boost their morning show, and all of that.

MICHAEL:

So what will be the theme of the show?

JIM:

I can’t talk specifically because we don’t have any thing set in stone, but the feel is Vegas Salutes Daytime. So, I know our hard-core Daytime Emmy viewers like award, award, award, and then credits. I think that is why the ratings have been slipping because that had been the case. We started to bring in some entertainment value last year and that pissed off some of the diehards, who would have rather have had another award category. But for the people watching in primetime that are flicking channels, they are going to stop and watch if there is some entertainment. The Oscars, Grammys, and the Tonys do it. I guarantee you, if we had not done the entertainment value like we did this last year; we were not going to be able to save the Daytime Emmys being televised.

MICHAEL:

What can you say to people who want to see their favorite soap stars glammed up and getting more time on primetime? Last year you got pushback when viewers saw host Vanessa Williams and Gilles Marini in a dance number, instead. Soap fans felt the show became more diluted then in the past.

JIM:

That is valid because it’s very personal to them, and soaps second to sports, I think have the most vehement fans in the world. I am the same way. You have to look at it from a perspective that there are seven, soon to be six, soaps. And even so, 85% of the viewing time of the Daytime Emmys is about the soaps, even though there is only six hours of daytime television devoted to the genre. We don’t spend that much time on children’s shows or half the amount of time on court shows, and there are a ton of those. The soaps are really the reason the Emmys exist, but we have to acknowledge the other types of shows. I look at this as a celebration of daytime in which everyone is represented, but because ATI is involved, and me personally, we are going to make sure that the soaps are very well represented.

MICHAEL:

Good to reiterate you are a champion and friend to the soap genre. Now, after last year’s broadcast and feedback, and memorable incidents that did not sit well with the viewing audience, what changes is ATI going to make? Or, what have they learned from last year’s show?

JIM:

One thing we are going to try to do is to get CBS to agree not to cut us off at ten o’ clock! (Laugh) This time we are on from 9pm-11pm, which I think will improve the amount of viewers, and this time we are on Sunday instead of Friday. Remember, CBS scheduled this on Sunday, as opposed to Friday as it had been. And, Friday is next to the graveyard on television because no one is home on Friday night. Sunday night is a great night for award night. We did the last show as if it was the last one, and we are doing this show as if it is the last one. I believe we now have the option for one more year because of this. It all depends if we can improve upon what we did, and if there is enough support, and I look at the soap fans for this. I read a lot of stuff they say. Some I don’t agree with, and some I do. There are others who write, “If Crystal Chappell doesn’t win they will never watch this show again.” She is a wonderful actress, but you have that fan base. They will crucify you if their person doesn’t win…because sometimes fans think politics is a factor… and they say, it’s a joke, and the show’s a joke. And it is like you said, Michael, why show Vanessa and Gilles dancing when you could show soap stars? Our point of view is because of the entertainment we brought last time out, CBS agreed to do it.

MICHAEL:

But you are looking to tailor the show to the broadest primetime audience, correct?

JIM:

I am a huge soap and daytime fan, but if you are running in primetime, you have to cater to a primetime audience. That is just the way it is. There was a time in the late 80’s and early 90’s, where the daytime audience was eclipsing the primetime audience, and when you had Liz Taylor on GH. Back then daytime was the money mill. It’s a shame it’s not anymore.

MICHAEL:

One of the things that was a big issue last year was viewers were hard pressed to find any on-air promos to properly promote tune-in. Will there be more promos this time?

JIM:

We were very upset about that last year, because we took a lot of care to bring this thing back, and the network treated it like we were lucky to be there… when in fact they were lucky to have us! CBS said they would help us with on-air promos, and it’s in their best interest.

MICHAEL:

Will you be having a Daytime Gives Back segment like you did last year?

JIM:

We do have a Daytime Gives Back again this year. And this time it’s Americans Feeding America for a change. We are going to do a food drop in South Central L.A. We are putting another contingent together where we are going to be giving back to soldier’s families, and these are soldiers that are just back from Afghanistan and Iraq. They come back and they find their homes and life is different. It’s a frightening and sad thing that these men and women come back and have all these debts. I think it’s a positive message for daytime to be involved in.

MICHAEL:

So, is there a game plan in place to move forward with a tribute, in some fashion, to As the World Turns? Previously, you had stated that it didn’t look like that was a reality, but instead you were thinking the show would do a tribute to All My Children celebrating their 40th anniversary? Where does this all stand?

JIM:

I don’t have a game plan yet, because we are waiting on those who make those decisions to tell us. I met with TeleNext in Cannes. I said, “We are planning to do the Daytime Emmys on June 27th, and I wanted to talk about getting the ATWT cast there so the possibility of a tribute can be done.” And they said, “It’s a bad week. We are shooting our last episodes right around that time. I don’t know if we can even make it.” So, we are trying to figure out what to do there.

MICHAEL:

Why not have one star, Julianne Moore, come out and just introduce a clip package befitting the show?

JIM:

I mentioned Julianne Moore to the Academy and CBS. I would love her to do this. We are going to do everything we can to do something for As the World Turns. I think there may be an acknowledgment with All My Children for their 40th anniversary, but I think the most important thing with AMC is to document their move west, which was the most important thing that happened to them, and what it meant, but that may be part of something else. All of these things are on the plate. I did not think there would be an ATWT tribute for these reasons: One, the cost value of getting everybody out there. Two, P&G, TeleNext and NATAS wanting it to happen… and three, CBS wanting it to happen.

MICHAEL:

If CBS is involved and P&G is packing up boxes and closing shop in Oakdale, why can’t CBS supply ATWT clips to your Emmy production team?

JIM:

I do not think it was a clip issue. You saw the interview with the P&G guy who said, “We are out of the soap business,” and that does not bode well for helping with the Daytime Emmys. I think people that watch the Emmys are soap people. I know that. I am pushing for things involving the soaps really hard.

MICHAEL:

Is there going to be a Pre-Show this year?

JIM:

CBS is not going to do a Pre-Show. I have talked to a variety of cable networks – and no, not SOAPnet - they are just not interested. I am talking to the E’s and TV Guide Network’s, and telling them we are going to have a red carpet and in Las Vegas. I know the ET’s and Access Hollywood’s will be there, but we will not do gavel to gavel coverage like last year. We produced that third hour last year because we wanted to expand our show. CBS is not going to do that. They are not going to use a red carpet meet and greet when they can run Undercover Boss. Actually, I would rather have them run Undercover Boss because I want that lead in. (Laughs)

MICHAEL:

What about host candidates?

JIM:

There have been some bantered around. However, I do think that the person chosen will have a “Vanessa Williams” quality… meaning they have to have an appeal and be an entertainer.

MICHAEL:

Final question that many fans want to know: Does NATAS dictate the awards that are presented, or do you, as the production entity, have a say in what makes it to air and what categories get cut?

JIM:

ATI does not decide. The two entities that decide what categories absolutely have to be on the air, are NATAS and the broadcaster. Then we plot the show around that. I don’t feel for a moment that it won’t be an entertaining show. I think there will be moments of hilarity, song and dance, sadness and nostalgia. I think all of those things will be there. We do this with the sense that if this is the last one, lets go out with something memorable… and if it’s not the last, then we gave them a great show.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

alstonboy4315
Member Avatar
"Even iron bends"..Victoria Rowell

Les Moonves is almost CERTAINLY emotionally involved in getting his dull wife, Julie Chen, that hosting job on that upcoming talk show that's in the works!! When it comes to nepotism, there's ALWAYS an emotional involvement. Just ask Bradley Bell and Maria Arena Bell!!!

I don't care WHERE the Daytime Emmys are or WHICH network hosts them!! I just want to see deserving actors get nominated, and my favorite actors win!! I don't want to see the same actors who always win in the past win again. I want to see the nominations widespread among the remaining soaps, and I want to see CLIPS of the shows that the actors submit!!

No singing and dancing!! No primetime stars, and for the love of all things golden----NO NEIL PATRICK HARRIS. I like the guy, but I am on NPH overload!!!!

lysie
Member Avatar

Do we have any guess on whose being approached about the lifetime achievement? And by "we" I mean "anyone but me". I have no clue.

And as far as his comment about Emmy viewers wanting it to be award award credits....well, I complained about the "entertainment' last year, but I'm not opposed to entertainment, lol. Entertain us with someone or something relevant to the genre.
Edited by lysie, Apr 27 2010, 12:51 PM.

Liz<3Days
Member Avatar

Thanks for posting. IDK, this guys always good at selling the broadcast, but it just falls short. I dont mind Vegas, but in June? The heat was CRAZY last year, unusually hot, like VEGAS weather! I also want to see a red carpet (thats half the fun of these shows!)

I guess we'll see how this goes, but it should look better then last years because of the location.

McMarley
Member Avatar

Ellie
Apr 27 2010, 12:29 PM

write, “If Crystal Chappell doesn’t win they will never watch this show again.” She is a wonderful actress, but you have that fan base. They will crucify you if their person doesn’t win…because sometimes fans think politics is a factor… and they say, it’s a joke, and the show’s a joke.
:laugh: Jim should stop reading all the comments on Welovesoaps from the BSC Chappell fans who had no idea who she was pre Otalia and could care even less about daytime.

Quote:

. IDK, this guys always good at selling the broadcast, but it just falls short.

he talks a good game but last year was just awful, I mean it was just so darn unproffessional.

Only thing I want is the crazy screaming fans (who used to annoy the heck out of me before) and clips of the nominated actors, that's all I ask.

~bl~
Member Avatar

The thing I want most is the "in Memory of" segment. That is one time that having a singer that has *nothing* to do with soaps or other daytime programming (and being a talk show guest is not enough) wouldn't bother me.

Why do the CC fans who behave that way even have to be mentioned? They are just a subset of one group of people and if they were all that powerful wouldn't GL's ratings have gone through the roof staving off cancellation.
Edited by ~bl~, Apr 27 2010, 06:34 PM.

juniorz1
Member Avatar
The Royal Stoner

If they don't acknowledge the end of ATWT, then it will be a travesty. But in all honesty, they didn't do a tribute for AW when it went off the air and that really hurt, because I was a fan of that show for 18 years. I remember the only mention of it was by Stephen Schnetzer & Lisa Peluso when they presented an award and I highly doubt it was in the script. Shame on the Emmys if they don't do it.

That being said, I absolutely cannot wait until June- the Daytime Emmys are still my fave award show by FAR, and I watch all of the entertainment awards.

Here's hoping that Maura West wins for the final season of ATWT. There's no better actress on daytime right now- she's simply the best and deserves the curtain call.

NavJLee8785
Member Avatar
Always the Panic Spreader

I did an interview with Jim on Friday, and he said in the interview that they are planning on doing an ATWT tribute, by packaging up some clips and wanting to air it during the telecast. No word on who may present the clips yet, and such, but he IS going to do something for ATWT.

Deleted User
Deleted User

NavJLee8785
May 2 2010, 10:57 AM
I did an interview with Jim on Friday, and he said in the interview that they are planning on doing an ATWT tribute, by packaging up some clips and wanting to air it during the telecast. No word on who may present the clips yet, and such, but he IS going to do something for ATWT.
Thank God.
Quote Post Goto Top

NavJLee8785
Member Avatar
Always the Panic Spreader

http://www.buzzworthyradio.net/podcasts/jimromanovich2.mp3

Here is my link for my interview w/ him...if you want to take a listen.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · General Daytime News · Next Topic »
Add Reply