Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
"Days" Says Goodbye to Alice Horton: A Sneak Peek
Topic Started: Apr 29 2010, 06:47 PM (6,801 Views)
IMissAremid
Member Avatar
After all... tomorrow is another day!

PhoenixRising05
Apr 29 2010, 07:44 PM
DOOLFan85
Apr 29 2010, 07:39 PM
Kenny
Apr 29 2010, 07:15 PM

No funeral at the church? Lame.
Yeah that's my only disappointment. They could had gotten a lot of emotional stuff from that. At least everything else going to be promising.

Thanks Jason!
What difference does it make if it's in a church (especially since it seems the Horton's aren't Catholic)? Many people have outdoor funerals or funerals in the cemetery. As long as there is a service or memorial of some kind, which there clearly is, that is all that matters. Tom's was in a hospital chapel.

Now, if it ends up like Mickey's, then that would be horrible.
Where do you get that the Hortons weren't Catholic?

I can't find the clip itself outside of this montage, but it looks like Tom and Alice may have renewed their vows at a service officiated by a priest at St. Luke's when they got remarried. See 1:05.

Regardless, whether it's a service at St. Luke's or just something at the hospital chapel there SHOULD BE footage at a church for this.

It's also ridiculous that Mike doesn't appear much at all it seems and that Shane and Rafe being on a plane together takes up almost two whole episodes.

Bummed that we won't get any Anna/Carrie. :(

That said...
Looking forward to Carrie/Sami and Carrie/Sami/Roman
Ditto Shane/Kimberly
Ditto Bill/Kate
Ditto Adrienne/Justin/Kayla
Ditto Bo/Roman/Kayla/Kimberly
Ditto Kate/Lucas/Will
Ditto Hope/Jennifer
Ditto Maggie/Marie/Melissa/Nathan
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

IMissAremid
Apr 29 2010, 09:03 PM
PhoenixRising05
Apr 29 2010, 07:44 PM
DOOLFan85
Apr 29 2010, 07:39 PM

Quoting limited to 3 levels deep
What difference does it make if it's in a church (especially since it seems the Horton's aren't Catholic)? Many people have outdoor funerals or funerals in the cemetery. As long as there is a service or memorial of some kind, which there clearly is, that is all that matters. Tom's was in a hospital chapel.

Now, if it ends up like Mickey's, then that would be horrible.
Where do you get that the Hortons weren't Catholic?

I can't find the clip itself outside of this montage, but it looks like Tom and Alice may have renewed their vows at a service officiated by a priest at St. Luke's when they got remarried. See 1:05.

Regardless, whether it's a service at St. Luke's or just something at the hospital chapel there SHOULD BE footage at a church for this.

It's also ridiculous that Mike doesn't appear much at all it seems and that Shane and Rafe being on a plane together takes up almost two whole episodes.

Bummed that we won't get any Anna/Carrie. :(

That said...
Looking forward to Carrie/Sami and Carrie/Sami/Roman
Ditto Shane/Kimberly
Ditto Bill/Kate
Ditto Adrienne/Justin/Kayla
Ditto Bo/Roman/Kayla/Kimberly
Ditto Kate/Lucas/Will
Ditto Hope/Jennifer
Ditto Maggie/Marie/Melissa/Nathan
Honestly, I don't know LOL.

I've been told on the boards various times and even had someone comment in my old fan fiction at SON that the Horton's aren't Catholic (I had written a Christmas Eve episode taking place at St. Luke's). Actually, I think it was Drew Hamilton that made the comment and I remember doing some research and agreeing with him.

There doesn't have to be anything done at a church. There just needs to be a service. I would be just as happy if they did it in the hospital chapel again like they did Tom's. Alice and Tom gave so much to the hospital anyway. An outdoor service in the cemetery is just fine and something many people do. At least the memorial gets alot of focus and we seem to be getting alot of reminiscing between various people (and this just the memorial...we will definitely get more as she passes away).

I also don't mind the Shane/Rafe thing because, judging by the info (and also MBE's video posted earlier where CS was being instructed to look toward someone when Hope moves or something along those lines), it seems Shane shows up during the service and we will get a pretty good emotional moment as he and Kim come face to face. That has to be who they were telling him to look at. That could be a pretty heavy moment so whatever sets that up is fine by me.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Oh, and the fact that Kim and Shane spend the whole 6/25 episode together at Bope's after he seems to show up at the funeral in the 6/24 episode SCREAMS a quicky reunion and exit for them.

Deleted User
Deleted User

Aren't the Hortons Protestant? Which is basically Catholic light? LOL
Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

PhoenixRising05
Apr 29 2010, 09:18 PM
Oh, and the fact that Kim and Shane spend the whole 6/25 episode together at Bope's after he seems to show up at the funeral in the 6/24 episode SCREAMS a quicky reunion and exit for them.
I wish they'd reunite Bill and Laura as well. Or hell, just have them return already reunited. We're clearly never going to see them again.
Quote Post Goto Top

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Amello
Apr 29 2010, 09:19 PM
Probably. Regardless, I don't think it being in a church matters. It's all in how they do the service. They can give us the same thing in the cemetery that we could get in the church.

I also agree with you on Bill and Laura. At this point, you may as well reunite them or just have them come back reunited. I can see bringing back Kim and Shane apart because they can create a pretty big moment by reuniting them during this event.

Ellie

Two thoughts on the graveside/church issue:

1) A church service affords the characters the opportunity to give speeches. That's what was done at Tom Horton's funeral (and many many others.) I hope we'll hear those types of tributes and speeches in the scenes before the cemetery.

2) On Days, the church is almost always used for big funerals. Because of this, I hope the writers put in an explanation for why it isn't being used. Otherwise, it may look like less respect is being given to Alice's funeral than to that of other past characters.

IMissAremid
Member Avatar

Amello
Apr 29 2010, 09:19 PM
Different Protestant denominations are more like the Catholic church than others (like some have saints while others ignore the saints). But Catholics are the only ones with the pope and believe they are the one true church.

IMissAremid
Member Avatar

Another reason I call shenanigans on no funeral service for Alice:

Alice's funeral in 2004 was at St. Luke's!

It just seems like DAYS being silly with these funerals when we didn't have a church set for Mickey's funeral either. I don't get it. We had a funeral at a church for a baby who had only been alive for a few months and wasn't related to the main families on this show, but they couldn't give us a church service for the matriarch of DAYS of our LIVES?

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Ellie
Apr 29 2010, 09:26 PM
Two thoughts on the graveside/church issue:

1) A church service affords the characters the opportunity to give speeches. That's what was done at Tom Horton's funeral (and many many others.) I hope we'll hear those types of tributes and speeches in the scenes before the cemetery.

2) On Days, the church is almost always used for big funerals. Because of this, I hope the writers put in an explanation for why it isn't being used. Otherwise, it may look like less respect is being given to Alice's funeral than to that of other past characters.
Outdoor services can be just the same as church ones. They can easily give speeches in the cemetery. Hell, during Mickey's "gathering" at Maggie's, most of them gave speeches and it wasn't even the actual service. I fully expect many of the characters to speak.

As for the Church, no explanation is needed IMO. The service is just out in the cemetery LOL. There isn't a need to explain something like that. It's just like many families choose to do in real life. Some have the service in churches. Some have it outdoors in a special place or in the cemetery. Some don't have a service at all.

KMan101
Member Avatar

Loving all the interactions. Seems they're playing the right beats. I WILL be upset if Carrie and Sami act lovingly towards one another. They better remember the two aren't close. I know they'll probably bond in grief but I hope to see at least some tension between them, but I'm worried because they've diluted Sami so much with rarely a mention of her trecherous past.

I like that they're devoting time to Kim and Shane. I think they deserve a longer reunion, but who knows when or if there will ever be another opportunity, so I'll take it.

VERY weird that Mike is not really a part of anything. I don't get it? Was Roark just not available for anything but a brief cameo and so they have a throwaway scene where he deals with the death on his own at some random hospital? I find it strange. Hope we get some explanation.

I'm sad we won't get a Carrie/Anna scene because Leann wasn't taping at the time. Oh well.

LOVE all the flashbacks! I'm really glad that the tribute week really is jsut the tribute week with maybe a few scenes of the current storylines thrown in.

IMissAremid
Member Avatar

KMan101
Apr 29 2010, 09:33 PM
Loving all the interactions. Seems they're playing the right beats. I WILL be upset if Carrie and Sami act lovingly towards one another. They better remember the two aren't close. I know they'll probably bond in grief but I hope to see at least some tension between them, but I'm worried because they've diluted Sami so much with rarely a mention of her trecherous past.
I agree. I would think there would also have to be some discussion of what Carrie's mom did to Sami with Sydney.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

IMissAremid
Apr 29 2010, 09:31 PM
Another reason I call shenanigans on no funeral service for Alice:

Alice's funeral in 2004 was at St. Luke's!

It just seems like DAYS being silly with these funerals when we didn't have a church set for Mickey's funeral either. I don't get it. We had a funeral at a church for a baby who had only been alive for a few months and wasn't related to the main families on this show, but they couldn't give us a church service for the matriarch of DAYS of our LIVES?
Well, JER would never have it anywhere else given how strongly he held to his beliefs and how often those beliefs influenced his storytelling. I'm sure some may argue they didn't like that.

Mickey's was a mess but not because of having no service in the church. We got no service at all and it was all tied up in one episode. Given what they did with the returns for Alice's, there was no reason not to bring some more people back for his. I get Frances really passed away and John Clarke didn't but still. Mickey was an original character. He deserved better.

Personally, I could care less. They could have it in an alley for all I care LOL. Just as long as the right characters speak and we get a ton of flashbacks, it should be satisfying for the most part.

IMissAremid
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Apr 29 2010, 09:36 PM
Personally, I could care less. They could have it in an alley for all I care LOL. Just as long as the right characters speak and we get a ton of flashbacks, it should be satisfying for the most part.
You wouldn't care if the funeral for ALICE FUCKING HORTON was just held anywhere... like say they decided to hold the service on the same dingy pier death stairs where Tony DiMera died?

Obviously the flashbacks are more important, but jeez. Have some standards. ;)

Ellie

PhoenixRising05
It's just like many families choose to do in real life. Some have the service in churches. Some have it outdoors in a special place or in the cemetery. Some don't have a service at all.
Agree, BUT, we already know what this family almost always chooses to do, at least until Gary Tomlin joined the family lol. Where these episodes are trying to draw on history to such an extent, I think it needs to be explained if they deviate from their family (and Salem's!) tradition of a church service.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

IMissAremid
Apr 29 2010, 09:38 PM
PhoenixRising05
Apr 29 2010, 09:36 PM
You wouldn't care if the funeral for ALICE FUCKING HORTON was just held anywhere... like say they decided to hold the service on the same dingy pier death stairs where Tony DiMera died?

Obviously the flashbacks are more important, but jeez. Have some standards. ;)
Well, I do have standards LOL.

My point is it's not like they are having it at the pier or at the Brady Pub. It's in the cemetery, which is just fine for a funeral.

Hospital chapel, church, Horton house, Horton backyard, cemetery...all those choices work just fine.

KMan101
Member Avatar

I'm not upset it's not in a church. Not at all. They can have outdoor services. It happens all the time. Maybe Alice didn't want a church funeral? Why is it a MUST BE RULE that you have to pay your respects in a church or a funeral home?

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Ellie
Apr 29 2010, 09:40 PM
PhoenixRising05
It's just like many families choose to do in real life. Some have the service in churches. Some have it outdoors in a special place or in the cemetery. Some don't have a service at all.
Agree, BUT, we already know what this family almost always chooses to do, at least until Gary Tomlin joined the family lol. Where these episodes are trying to draw on history to such an extent, I think it needs to be explained if they deviate from their family (and Salem's!) tradition of a church service.
I doubt many people will even notice the difference, to be honest. We all do but I don't think people outside the Internet community and/or people who aren't ones to dissect everything and make comparisons will notice that some sort of tradition was broken.

People on this board and some others will because there are enough people to notice everything LOL. Many have been watching for a long time, watching old episodes/clips over and over again, and are obsessed enough to point things like that out.

I just think it's not something worth an explanation because if the point is brought up, it will make people wonder. Just leave it alone and most will just ride with it and assume they wanted an outdoor service.

Ellie

PhoenixRising05
Apr 29 2010, 09:49 PM
Ellie
Apr 29 2010, 09:40 PM
PhoenixRising05
I doubt many people will even notice the difference, to be honest. We all do but I don't think people outside the Internet community and/or people who aren't ones to dissect everything and make comparisons will notice that some sort of tradition was broken.

People on this board and some others will because there are enough people to notice everything LOL. Many have been watching for a long time, watching old episodes/clips over and over again, and are obsessed enough to point things like that out.

I just think it's not something worth an explanation because if the point is brought up, it will make people wonder. Just leave it alone and most will just ride with it and assume they wanted an outdoor service.
We are just going to have to completely disagree. I'm not sure why you think people who aren't on the internet don't have opinions about the show. My grandmother watches Days, and whenever I talk to her she tells me what she thinks of the show. Believe me, she notices things! It's my opinion, and I know you disagree, that people watching, whether or not they are members of a message board, will wonder why the funeral isn't in the church, unless it's explained on-air.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

KMan101
Apr 29 2010, 09:45 PM
I'm not upset it's not in a church. Not at all. They can have outdoor services. It happens all the time. Maybe Alice didn't want a church funeral? Why is it a MUST BE RULE that you have to pay your respects in a church or a funeral home?
I agree but I do see where people are coming from (although I don't see it as such a big deal it warrants an explanation).

Days has always had funerals in a Church for years so people are used to it. They should've varied it a bit, just like they did weddings.

The big deal IMO is the Mike situation. That is a bigger WTF that requires explanation.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply