Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
"Days" Says Goodbye to Alice Horton: A Sneak Peek
Topic Started: Apr 29 2010, 06:47 PM (6,739 Views)
PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Ellie
Apr 29 2010, 09:51 PM
PhoenixRising05
Apr 29 2010, 09:49 PM
Ellie
Apr 29 2010, 09:40 PM

Quoting limited to 3 levels deep
I doubt many people will even notice the difference, to be honest. We all do but I don't think people outside the Internet community and/or people who aren't ones to dissect everything and make comparisons will notice that some sort of tradition was broken.

People on this board and some others will because there are enough people to notice everything LOL. Many have been watching for a long time, watching old episodes/clips over and over again, and are obsessed enough to point things like that out.

I just think it's not something worth an explanation because if the point is brought up, it will make people wonder. Just leave it alone and most will just ride with it and assume they wanted an outdoor service.
We are just going to have to completely disagree. I'm not sure why you think people who aren't on the internet don't have opinions about the show. My grandmother watches Days, and whenever I talk to her she tells me what she thinks of the show. Believe me, she notices things! It's my opinion, and I know you disagree, that people watching, whether or not they are members of a message board, will wonder why the funeral isn't in the church, unless it's explained on-air.
Honestly, your grandmother is probably one of the rare ones and it may be because you discuss these sorts of things with her.

In my experience over the years (people at work, friends and family at home, etc), people look at what we all discuss on message boards and think we're all nuts LOL. The things that are picked apart and discussed over and over makes some thing we should all be committed (I will withhold the thoughts that they say about me because it just depresses me LOL).

Before she passed, my grandmother always used to ask me why I posted on message boards (she called message boards "those looney places on the computer :laugh: ). I said I enjoyed it and she thought I should have my head examined because the few times she read the boards with me she rolled her eyes and said some things I probably shouldn't repeat :laugh: .
Edited by PhoenixRising05, Apr 29 2010, 09:58 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

SocRMum1
Member Avatar
Much prefers sweevil, snarky EJ over Father Figure Fucktard Eejiot.

Ellie
PhoenixRising05
Apr 29 2010, 09:49 PM
Ellie
Apr 29 2010, 09:40 PM

Quoting limited to 3 levels deep
I doubt many people will even notice the difference, to be honest. We all do but I don't think people outside the Internet community and/or people who aren't ones to dissect everything and make comparisons will notice that some sort of tradition was broken.

People on this board and some others will because there are enough people to notice everything LOL. Many have been watching for a long time, watching old episodes/clips over and over again, and are obsessed enough to point things like that out.

I just think it's not something worth an explanation because if the point is brought up, it will make people wonder. Just leave it alone and most will just ride with it and assume they wanted an outdoor service.
We are just going to have to completely disagree. I'm not sure why you think people who aren't on the internet don't have opinions about the show. My grandmother watches Days, and whenever I talk to her she tells me what she thinks of the show. Believe me, she notices things! It's my opinion, and I know you disagree, that people watching, whether or not they are members of a message board, will wonder why the funeral isn't in the church, unless it's explained on-air.
I agree. Given that this is a funeral for the true matriarch of the show...and that many Horton and Brady moments have utilized the church...it's glaring to me (and I will guess to others) that they aren't doing a funeral service in a church for Alice.

A couple of other misses...very bummed that we won't see a Carrie/Anna scene.

Not sure why they are bringing Mike back for such a tiny bit.

I expected we'd see something for Lumi together...but it doesn't look like it.

Otherwise, I'm very much looking forward to the tribute scenes and all the flashbacks. Definitely will need to stock up on tissues.

Thanks for posting, Jason!

IMissAremid
Member Avatar
After all... tomorrow is another day!

Ellie
THANK YOU!!!

At least Tim didn't use that dreadful "general audience" phrase but still... UGH!

Quote:

Well, JER would never have it anywhere else given how strongly he held to his beliefs and how often those beliefs influenced his storytelling. I'm sure some may argue they didn't like that.

So the history of this show doesn't count if it happened during the JER era? :rolleyes:

OK even if you discount the funeral in 2004 because JER wrote it, that still leaves her and Tom getting married before JER came on to the scene at a ceremony at St. Luke's.

To me it matters that there is no church service for Alice because she was always such a moral anchor for this show. And while I don't entirely equate morality with piety, I think they would be somewhat related for someone like Alice Horton, especially someone of her era. So for the character to not have a funeral service at church (after Mickey didn't get one too) either glares of the show just being fucking cheap as hell with its sets to the detriment of the product on screen or the TPTB currently in charge making some kind of political statement against organized religion that I don't really get.

Keith
Member Avatar

I'd almost venture to guess that the church set may be gone. When was the last time it was used?

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

So...

Mike Horton...yeah...what the hell is with his return? I wonder if Jason47 has any info on Roark's stint.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Keith
Apr 29 2010, 10:05 PM
I'd almost venture to guess that the church set may be gone. When was the last time it was used?
Grace's funeral last June.

I doubt it's gone. They used quite a bit before Grace's funeral too. I just think they wanted to do this outside, to be honest. Why? Who the hell knows.
Edited by PhoenixRising05, Apr 29 2010, 10:08 PM.

Keith
Member Avatar

I realize there haven't been many church-related things since last June, but I think its more than telling that they didn't utilize the church first for Mickey and now for Alice. With Mickey, the memorial sounded like it happened at the church but we didn't see it. That may have been because of all the people who were there but in the other room, but still. Even Chloe/Stephanie haven't been so dependent on their old friend Father Matt like they used to. lol

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Keith
Apr 29 2010, 10:12 PM
I realize there haven't been many church-related things since last June, but I think its more than telling that they didn't utilize the church first for Mickey and now for Alice. With Mickey, the memorial sounded like it happened at the church but we didn't see it. That may have been because of all the people who were there but in the other room, but still. Even Chloe/Stephanie haven't been so dependent on their old friend Father Matt like they used to. lol
Good points. With Mickey, I think they didn't do it because only Melissa was brought back and with so much family missing, they knew it would work horrible if they did it in church and they weren't there. Therefore, we were shown the gathering at Maggie's after and Bill, Marie, Alice, etc were in the kitchen.

Maybe it really is budget related. Maybe because of all the returns for multiple episodes they had to sacrifice something and it was the church set. I know, for me, I prefer having the returns over the church. They are more important.

IMissAremid
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Apr 29 2010, 10:06 PM
So...

Mike Horton...yeah...what the hell is with his return? I wonder if Jason47 has any info on Roark's stint.
That he's only having an interaction with a nurse in what we've seen so far makes me worry they will have Mike's "return" just be him on the phone at whatever hospital he is working at now with someone back in Salem learning the news and saying he's sorry he couldn't attend the funeral.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

IMissAremid
Apr 29 2010, 10:24 PM
PhoenixRising05
Apr 29 2010, 10:06 PM
So...

That he's only having an interaction with a nurse in what we've seen so far makes me worry they will have Mike's "return" just be him on the phone at whatever hospital he is working at now with someone back in Salem learning the news and saying he's sorry he couldn't attend the funeral.
If that is what it is, that's stupid.

This has me wondering if we see him come back to say goodbye to Alice as she is passing away and then he's not around for the funeral, which is stupid too but at least he is present for part of it.

Roark's return is just a big WTF from the scene of him in the promo to what we know based on this and the other information that has been posted. If this is due to Roark's availability, why couldn't they have just brought back one of the other actors as Mike?
Edited by PhoenixRising05, Apr 29 2010, 10:36 PM.

KMan101
Member Avatar

Or they could have just recasted Mike like they did for Bill. I really wish they'd bring back most of these folks and weave them back into the cavas but it will never happen :(
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Jason47
Member Avatar

Roark's been busy shooting "V." Do they tape that in Canada? Ali Sweeney posted the # 11364 script front page, and it lists Mike and Nurse U/5. The tape schedule I have for # 11364 was from last week and one script page was not taped last week (page 70) and Mike and Nurse U/5 were absent, so, they must be in the one scene not taped that day (the script states there is a post-tape on May 3). So May 3 would be the day Roark tapes that scene. And since a nurse is mentioned, I took an educated guess and put him in a hospital scene.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Thanks, Jason.

I have to assume V is done taping. The episodes airing now were filmed way back (they only ran like 6 episodes in the Fall before the hiatus and I think they are only doing 6-7 this spring run), I believe, and I doubt they are filming the second season (I'm not sure it's been announced the show was even renewed for a second season). Even so, Roark is recurring on that so I can't see what would prevent him from appearing more?

Do you know if he appeared before the 6/23 episode, perhaps to visit Alice before she dies?

dc cubs
Member Avatar

I agree with IMA that we may only get phone calls from Mike. It sounds like he was unavailable when they shot the memorial scenes. My guess is they will post tape the Mike phone calls and drop them in later. It does suck that Mike won't be present during the graveyard scenes.
Edited by dc cubs, Apr 29 2010, 10:54 PM.

Jason47
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Apr 29 2010, 10:51 PM
Thanks, Jason.

I have to assume V is done taping. The episodes airing now were filmed way back (they only ran like 6 episodes in the Fall before the hiatus and I think they are only doing 6-7 this spring run), I believe, and I doubt they are filming the second season (I'm not sure it's been announced the show was even renewed for a second season). Even so, Roark is recurring on that so I can't see what would prevent him from appearing more?

Do you know if he appeared before the 6/23 episode, perhaps to visit Alice before she dies?

I don't know if Roark shows up before, but there are some other scenes from Thursday 6/24 that I listed as N/A. Perhaps he is in those scenes, which were also taped on a different day than the rest of the episode.

There were a few other scenes taped for other episodes that I didn't list. For Shane & Kim fans, they have five scenes together (all by themselves) on Tuesday, June 29.
Edited by Jason47, Apr 29 2010, 10:59 PM.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Ah, ok. Thanks Jason.

So, with some scenes missing, maybe we will see more of Mike. Still sucks but definitely explains the group photo and no new scene of his in the promo.

So, we get more Kim and Shane stuff on the 29th? I do remember someone posting that Patsy was going to air until the 29th, I believe. Maybe we get more Mike that week since it seems the returns spill over into the following week.

IMissAremid
Member Avatar

Thanks so much for sharing your info and posting with us Jason!

dc cubs
Member Avatar

Its sounding more and more like there will be a reunion for Kim and Shane. I have to say I'm surprised about it. I didn't think this Days regime would care or take the time to reunite a couple that is so far removed from the show today. Kim and Shane were just OK to me but I'm happy for their fans that it sounds like they are reuniting.

Keith
Member Avatar

Oh, definitely the returns matter more than the set. It sure has the nostalgia, but its the people and flashbacks that matter.

Ellie

dc cubs
Apr 29 2010, 11:06 PM
Its sounding more and more like there will be a reunion for Kim and Shane. I have to say I'm surprised about it. I didn't think this Days regime would care or take the time to reunite a couple that is so far removed from the show today. Kim and Shane were just OK to me but I'm happy for their fans that it sounds like they are reuniting.
I wonder if Charles requested that or stipulated it as part of his return. He did say in that interview that he wasn't interested in coming back just for Alice's funeral (which came off as kind of rude imo.)

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create your own social network with a free forum.
Learn More · Sign-up Now
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply