Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Locked Topic
Best behind the scenes drama?
Topic Started: May 21 2010, 12:44 AM (79,390 Views)
cassie1013

What are your guys best memories of behind-the-scenes drama at DAYS? I know there's been plenty...

I'm compiling a list of the top 10 for a column, and would love your insights.
Offline Profile Goto Top

dooldooldool

Sanctimonious, uber-Christian Melissa Reeves boinking co-star Jason Brooks, getting caught by her husband while allegedly demonstrating The Monica Lewinsky Technique on Mr Brooks, forcing Mrs Reeves to leave the show with moment's notice, and giving us the oh-so-not-stellar Stephanie Cameron in an emergency recast of the show's Main Lead Female Character.
Offline Profile Goto Top

talbab1994
Member Avatar

Ed Scott vs Dena Higley
Corday's decision to keep Dena and who was the actor/actress that was writing?
Offline Profile Goto Top

titan1978
Member Avatar

Popular Bo Brady recast Robert Kelker Kelly is replaced with Peter for what reason? Relationship with underage actress? Difficulty on set? Problems with Kristian Alfanso? Lisa Rinna? Take your pick. Anyone know what really happened?

NBC forces Reilly round 2 on Days in order to keep the show on the air.

The Melissa Reeves one has to be the best one though. Backstage that viewers learned about right away, in the press, a lawsuit, and awful recasts and aborted storylines.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Jason47
Member Avatar

Here's one of the earliest behind-the-scenes dramas: the lawsuit filed by Irna Phillips against Screen Gems:

"On November 1, 1961, Irna Phillips, Theodore Corday and Allan Chase entered into a so-called ownership agreement. On September 15, 1964, Corday alone entered into a so-called agency agreement with Screen Gems. The first agreement recited that each of the parties owned a one-third interest in a dramatic serial composition which they wished to have presented and disseminated to various media for public presentation. Each party was to be entitled to one third of fees received in connection with this property resulting from any type of exploitation. In event of an outright sale, each party was to be entitled to one third of the net price but there would be no sale or other exploitation without unanimous written consent. Each party agreed not to sell or assign his or her interest without giving the others a right of first refusal to purchase such interest upon the terms proffered. This provision was not to impair the right of any party to transfer his or her interest to a corporation which such party controlled. Phillips agreed to serve as story editor of the project with Corday to serve as executive producer and Chase to be editor of the script. The agreement also contained provisions which would reduce the interest of any party in event of his or her failure to perform under certain circumstances with such diminution to accrue to the benefit of the remaining parties. The so-called agency agreement of September 15, 1964 was prepared upon the letterhead of Screen Gems showing an address in Hollywood, California. This letter was signed by Screen Gems, addressed to Theodore Corday and accepted by him in writing. In this letter agreement, Corday warranted that he, Phillips and Chase were the co-owners of the dramatic, literary property in question and that Corday had full written authority from co-owners to enter into the agreement. The letter granted Screen Gems sole and exclusive right to offer the property for sale and license in any manner in any medium. Screen Gems was to receive a stated percentage of proceeds from licensing for daytime television use. For television licensing, Corday was to receive $750 per week for each week of the first year of such broadcasts, which was to be paid on behalf of all co-owners, with an increase to $1000 per week for each week after the first year. The agreement also contained provisions for compensation to Phillips and Corday for certain sums specified as having been advanced by them. Screen Gems' rights to distribute and license were to continue for one year, but in the event that it caused a 'pilot' program to be produced, its right to distribute was to be extended for an additional year after completion of production of said pilot. And, if Screen Gems licensed the television program to a national network, it should retain its rights 'in and to the property in perpetuity.' Plaintiff's complaint alleged that Phillips had been informed that offers had been made for purchase of the television serial. By her attorney she had requested advice of existence of said offers and defendant Screen Gems had refused. The complaint alleged that Screen Gems considers itself to be the owner of the production to the exclusion of the agreement which identified Phillips as a co-owner. It alleged that Phillips was informed that Screen Gems may have received remuneration in excess of the percentage provided in the agency agreement and, if such were the case, plaintiff as one co-owner would be entitled to the excess thus received. The complaint prayed for declaratory relief and an accounting for plaintiff's portion as one of the co-owners. After the court had rule that Corday and Chase were necessary parties, Phillips filed an amended complaint. The administrator of the estate of Corday and Chase were added as parties. The amended complaint alleged that numerous meetings, conferences and creative and contractual activities took place in Chicago, Illinois, where Phillips lived, in connection with the development of the serial program and that the program was being broadcast to television viewers within Illinois."
Online Profile Goto Top

sungrey

Whether all of the axed actors in the SSK story were supposed to come back or not. (Slight spoiler ahead if you haven't read Corday's book) Ken Corday says they were always supposed to return, but he might be covering his ass.

What really happened with Brenda Benet and Susan Seaforth Hayes.

Robert S. Woods coming on DAYS with great fanfare in 1987, only to leave a few months later and hightail it back to OLTL. What happened?

John Clarke leaving DAYS in 2003. Health reasons or did he tell Corday to stick it?
Offline Profile Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

Wow Jason, I didn't understand any of that. LoL
Goto Top

dc cubs
Member Avatar

The two biggest for me were Missy Reeves leaving amid rumors of an affair with Jason Brooks and Robert Kelker Kelly being fired for his conduct with actresses behind the scenes.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Jason47
Member Avatar

Amello
May 21 2010, 10:01 AM
Wow Jason, I didn't understand any of that. LoL
Legalese, always a fun language to read, lol. The newspaper articles at the time stated that Irna Phillips sued Screen Gems because Screen Gems' officials were claiming then (1968) that Screen Gems owned "Days of Our Lives." Phillips was asking the court to enforce the 1961 agreement which stated the she, Ted Corday and Allan Chase were the rightful co-owners of "Days."

I'd consider that one of the biggest behind-the-scenes dramas of the series as Screen Gems was trying to illegally assume ownership of the show.
Online Profile Goto Top

IMissAremid
Member Avatar
After all... tomorrow is another day!

Kola Boof.
Offline Profile Goto Top

catsmeouch

My favourite is Melissa Reeves ditching Days because of the Jason Brooks affair.
Offline Profile Goto Top

catsmeouch

dc cubs
May 21 2010, 10:33 AM
The two biggest for me were Missy Reeves leaving amid rumors of an affair with Jason Brooks and Robert Kelker Kelly being fired for his conduct with actresses behind the scenes.
I thought RKK was let go because Kristian Alfonso only wanted to play Hope opposite Peter's Bo. (Remember, Gina opened the puzzle box and proved she was Hope during the couple of weeks when RKK left and PR returned).
Offline Profile Goto Top

IMissAremid
Member Avatar
After all... tomorrow is another day!

catsmeouch
May 21 2010, 02:37 PM
dc cubs
I thought RKK was let go because Kristian Alfonso only wanted to play Hope opposite Peter's Bo. (Remember, Gina opened the puzzle box and proved she was Hope during the couple of weeks when RKK left and PR returned).
There was way more to RKK's leaving than that... at least... allegedly.

Offline Profile Goto Top

catsmeouch

RKK married Miriam Parrish (ex-Jamie), and her IMDB bio says she started dating him in May 1995 when she turned 18.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Harmony233

catsmeouch
May 21 2010, 02:37 PM
dc cubs
RKK didn't get along with any of his leading ladies.
Offline Profile Goto Top

TINA222
Member Avatar

Didnt he hit on AS? I thought I read that somewhere? he did like them young. ewwww.
Edited by TINA222, May 21 2010, 03:14 PM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

catsmeouch

Thaao hit on Alison.
Offline Profile Goto Top

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

RKK/PR and the Bo controversy

Missy Reeves leaving and the Jason Brooks rumors.

Higley/Scott/diva

The Hogan Sheffer mess.

JER's return and firing from Days.

The mysterious ghost writer of 2006/Kola Boof

The current state of Days which has me wondering if Tomlin and Whitesell are off on vacation or something and Higley has taken over things.

There is way too many scandals and backstage happenings on this show LOL.

Offline Profile Goto Top

catsmeouch

Regarding the Salem Stalker, there was a scene in September 2003 (before any of the murders) in which Tony/Andre is at the DiMera mansion and there's a map of an island on the table surrounded by scattered pictures of Salemites, many who ended up dead.
So what do you think? Were they meant to stay dead? Did JER have another idea in mind for Tony's island? Or did JER have two endings in mind, one where they stayed dead and one where they were alive?
Offline Profile Goto Top

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

catsmeouch
May 21 2010, 03:21 PM
Regarding the Salem Stalker, there was a scene in September 2003 (before any of the murders) in which Tony/Andre is at the DiMera mansion and there's a map of an island on the table surrounded by scattered pictures of Salemites, many who ended up dead.
So what do you think? Were they meant to stay dead? Did JER have another idea in mind for Tony's island? Or did JER have two endings in mind, one where they stayed dead and one where they were alive?
I think he had alot more in mind and I think his story was changed multiple times because Corday panicked multiple times, which led to the stuff we did get. In other words. Corday made him re-write everything so damned much that it all became a watered down mess and that set the stage for all the problems that were to come.

When JER returned, Wyman should've been axed. JER and Langan made for a better team in the 90's and JER needed someone who he trusted and liked to reign him in. Tomlin actually would've been great, especially back then because Days had a much better budget. Tomlin and JER worked on Passions and they both look campy stuff. Tomlin could've brought Whitesell over too and it really could've been something good. Instead, we got Wyman, who sucks. JER had to deviate from his original plan and then everything snowballed from there.
Offline Profile Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Locked Topic