Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Locked Topic
Best behind the scenes drama?
Topic Started: May 21 2010, 12:44 AM (82,038 Views)
JSE
Member Avatar

Could anyone truly blame Melissa Reeves for hooking up with Jason Brooks?

Anyway, I like the whole Pat Faulken Smith saga.

Jason, did Corday Productions sue Bill Bell when he wanted to leave to concentrate on Y&R? I can't figure out how Corday got that piece of Y&R, unless Corday Productions gave Bell some cash, but I think there was a lawsuit.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Jason47
Member Avatar

JSE
May 22 2010, 10:00 PM
Jason, did Corday Productions sue Bill Bell when he wanted to leave to concentrate on Y&R? I can't figure out how Corday got that piece of Y&R, unless Corday Productions gave Bell some cash, but I think there was a lawsuit.
I'm not certain of all the particulars, I just know there were many lawsuits by all the main Days writers of the 60s and 70s. Irna Phillips sued Screen Gems to keep herself as a co-owner of the show. There was Bill Bell trying to leave and he ended up being forced to stay at Days through March 1978, five years after creating YR (and Corday Prods. got a percentage ownership perhaps to keep the suit from happening), and then there was the Pat Falken Smith suit, for firing her and breaching her $680,000 a year contract in 1977.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Emily

Could someone elaborate more on Ed Scott/Dena Higley? I know some major backstage drama occurred during November[?] 2008. What happened? What was the conflict? Thanks!
Offline Profile Goto Top

Kenny
Member Avatar

Emily
May 23 2010, 12:14 AM
Could someone elaborate more on Ed Scott/Dena Higley? I know some major backstage drama occurred during November[?] 2008. What happened? What was the conflict? Thanks!
Apparently Ed Scott was letting certain actors (like Ali Sweeney) re-write Dena Higley's shitty scripts without her permission. The actors would receive their sides and Ed would allow them to completely change their lines/stories/whatever on the fly. As a result, the show was in danger of being fined lots and lots of money because it went against the rules of the WGA or something.

Shortly after the scandal broke, Ed Scott was given the boot.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Kenny
Member Avatar

Also, I heard from a fairly reliable source that when all that went down, Ali was going around the set bragging to people about what she was getting away with, talking about how she had Ed Scott wrapped around her finger and how she could pretty much do whatever she wanted since she was so important to the network with The Biggest Loser, etc.

I was also told that Ken Corday was pissed because NBC wanted him to cater to Ali's every whim and do anything he could to make her happy -- basically treat her like she had all the seniority (even more than Corday himself) simply because the network considers her to be "the face of NBC Daytime." Corday was stuck between a rock and a hard place because of Ali's shenanigans. Ali knew she had the network in her back pocket as well as Ed Scott so she used it to her advantage to "get ahead" (we all know how career/goal-oriented she is) and she started re-writing scripts, walking around the studio with her nose in the air acting like she was completely invincible.

I don't know of any of this is actually true, but it was told to me by a reliable source.
Offline Profile Goto Top

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

^Seems about right LOL.

I also think (and I, too, don't know if this is true...just speculation based on various things heard around the net) NBC played a role in how the Vendetta story turned out in 2007. That was the beginning of Sami becoming the center of the show and that correlated with her debut on TBL. I would not be surprised if NBC got involved and forced Corday to make Days "The Sami Show," which led to Corday forcing HS to veer from his original plans again after asking him to veer from it before by telling him he could not use the four main vets (John, Marlena, Bo, and Hope).

It sickens me to see how much AS has taken over Days. I may still enjoy the show but I hate how they cater to her every whim by filming around her, which causes characters in her story to be isolated for long periods of time like this past winter. Days didn't even give this treatment to Deidre Hall. Then again, Dee left Days in 1987 but it was clear it wasn't working out. To me, this has never worked out but Days is probably afraid to lay down the law to Ali. I can't blame them. I still think a big reason why they were renewed in 2008 and given the chance to have the year they did in 2009 was AS and her being on TBL. That is probably what perhaps saved the show. NBC sees Days as a way to promote AS and, therefore, TBL, and maybe Ali used some pull to keep the show on the air. This may be why the show is still willing to cave to her every demand.
Edited by PhoenixRising05, May 23 2010, 12:53 AM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Emily

Ugh, I don't understand all the hype surrounding Alison Sweeney. I really don't think she's that attractive. Pretty, yes, but certainly not in Nadia Bjorlin or Arianne Zucker's league.

If that stuff about Ed Scott and DH is correct, then any episode before Fall 2008 is basically the actors acting to their own script/interpretation of events? Hahaha, think I'll visit YouTube tonight. ;)

Thanks Kenny and PhoenixRising!
Offline Profile Goto Top

Sindacco
Member Avatar

Emily
May 23 2010, 01:02 AM
If that stuff about Ed Scott and DH is correct, then any episode before Fall 2008 is basically the actors acting to their own script/interpretation of events? Hahaha, think I'll visit YouTube tonight. ;)
Not all actors. I haven't read anything about any of the other actors doing this. It was just Sweeney.
Online Profile Goto Top

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

Emily
May 23 2010, 01:02 AM
Ugh, I don't understand all the hype surrounding Alison Sweeney. I really don't think she's that attractive. Pretty, yes, but certainly not in Nadia Bjorlin or Arianne Zucker's league.

Thanks Kenny and PhoenixRising!
I definitely agree. And, if this is all true, then there is karma-"tic" justice in her not getting any Emmy nod this year. (Is there such a word as "karmatic"? LOL). For a long time, ever since JER was released the second time, there was scandal galore. And yes, we know how intelligent NBC is when they're trying to designate their "Star" performers. (Jay Leno, anyone?)
Offline Profile Goto Top

JSE
Member Avatar

Thanks Jason.

I'm curious about this Alison Sweeny stuff. I've never watched "The Biggest Loser". Is that show a big hit or something? So big that the network would demand that she be given "carte blanche" treatment? Seems strange to me.

I didn't watch the show between 2004 and 2009 so I missed the rise of Sami. I just figured it happened the way it does on all soaps. Bad girl is turned into a sympathetic character and the show is refocused around that character; she gets all the men to fall in love with her and all of the A storylines.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Harmony233

Wow I had never heard that stuff about AS.I mean I know the show seemed to love her but I had no idea she ws so diva like I guess is the word.
Offline Profile Goto Top

catsmeouch

The more they tried to sweeten up Sami, the more Alison Sweeney became the real Sami (circa 1993-97).
Offline Profile Goto Top

Paxton
Member Avatar
Dreaming of a Melanie-free Days

Kenny
May 23 2010, 12:43 AM
I was also told that Ken Corday was pissed because NBC wanted him to cater to Ali's every whim and do anything he could to make her happy -- basically treat her like she had all the seniority (even more than Corday himself) simply because the network considers her to be "the face of NBC Daytime." Corday was stuck between a rock and a hard place because of Ali's shenanigans. Ali knew she had the network in her back pocket as well as Ed Scott so she used it to her advantage to "get ahead" (we all know how career/goal-oriented she is) and she started re-writing scripts, walking around the studio with her nose in the air acting like she was completely invincible.

I don't know of any of this is actually true, but it was told to me by a reliable source.
And this was also around the time Ali got her pregnancy written in, is it not?

I'd like to be a fly on the wall for talks between Corday and NBC brass now, if it truly is the case that NBC is the one forcing the Days of Sami's Life. It would be pretty hard to dispute that the current terrible Sami triangle is the show's "A" story. Over the last two months during which ratings have been steadily dropping, GG and JS were tied in March for the most episodes (18) and JS clocked in as the leader in April with 19 (interestingly, GG only had 11 appearances in April). Ali had 16 eps in March and 17 in April. So far we don't have a chart for May but again those three are likely to be at or near the top in airtime.

http://www.jason47.com/days/castchart.html

Now, are people tuning out because of EJamucas II? I know of some who have, including me, but I have no way of saying how many in the audience did. What I think Corday could say firmly to NBC, though, is that featuring Sami as a romantic heroine in the middle of a triangle is not making viewers tune in.

In fact, if you really want to put your tinfoil hat on, here's a fun and purely speculative theory: what if Corday is getting his revenge on AS and NBC by featuring Sami's triangle while at the same time sabotaging all the other stories so that the entire show sucks? Maybe he unpacked Dena from the attic specifically to ensure the show would suck horribly during a time he promised NBC, as part of the renewal negotiations, that AS and Sami's life and loves would be prominently featured. I mean, it would certainly be a case of cutting off one's nose to spite one's own face, but for all Corday knew the show wouldn't have lost viewers during this time frame and if they did, as they have done, he could shrug and tell NBC, hey, I featured your golden girl and it didn't work out.

Again, sheer speculation, but perhaps not completely off the wall.
Offline Profile Goto Top

dooldooldool

JSE
May 23 2010, 10:12 AM
I've never watched "The Biggest Loser". Is that show a big hit or something? So big that the network would demand that she be given "carte blanche" treatment?
"The Biggest Loser" is typically NBC's second-highest rated prime-time show in the coveted 18-49 demographic. "The Office" is usually #1, but it's only a 30-minute program. TBL eats up two hours of primetime, so I would say that NBC places a high value on it and its stars.

Now, we are talking about low-rated NBC, with only 2 shows in the Top 25 in the demo. That makes each "hit" show even more important.

Oddly, AS is rarely featured in the promos, although she does quite a bit of publicity for the show. I did see that see was featured rather prominently in the commercials for the upcoming Season Finale. I've never watched the program, so I don't know how much time she is on-screen.
Offline Profile Goto Top

glfanalways

Shocking!!!! gossip about Ali, an she wonders why she's not nominated, Nbc may view AS, as their star but guess the judges on the emmy panel feel other wise. Karma anyone?
Offline Profile Goto Top

Sariah
Member Avatar

Since we're talking about Ed Scott...I'm curious how far his relationship with Kristen Renton (Morgan) went - there's a reason she got fired at the same time ES did, and the Morgan pimping under his tenure was unbelievable.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Mitchapalooza
Member Avatar
Killing myself slowly

Ed Scott deserved to be fired, especially if he was letting actors re-write scripts.

You cannot get any more unprofressional than that!
i
As for all this Alison Sweeney stuff, its all rumour and hearsay...people are acting like this is concrete news and its ridiculous...but oh wait "my reliable source" told me it was true...GMAFB...everyone on these sites seems to have a reliable source now a days :blah:
Edited by Mitchapalooza, May 24 2010, 06:44 PM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Kenny
Member Avatar

Quote:

As for all this Alison Sweeney stuff, its all rumour and hearsay...
I don't think anyone claimed it was the indisputable truth, LoL. I certainly didn't.
Quote:

but oh wait "my reliable source" told me it was true...GMAFB...everyone on these sites seems to have a reliable source now a days
I don't blame you in the least for having doubts, but the person who told me that was a reliable source. People talk.
Offline Profile Goto Top

DOOLFan85

I read somewhere Kristian and Peter didn't along much back in the 80s they hardly did appearances together. Sure didn't feel that way with all the chemistry on screen, but that makes for a fine recipe.

Another one Peter was hard on Kristian and Crystal when he first got them as leading ladies. He made both cry because they wasn't that good acting wise then.

Am I wrong about any?
Offline Profile Goto Top

Mitchapalooza
Member Avatar
Killing myself slowly

Kenny
May 24 2010, 09:08 PM
Quote:

As for all this Alison Sweeney stuff, its all rumour and hearsay...
I don't think anyone claimed it was the indisputable truth, LoL. I certainly didn't.
Quote:

but oh wait "my reliable source" told me it was true...GMAFB...everyone on these sites seems to have a reliable source now a days
I don't blame you in the least for having doubts, but the person who told me that was a reliable source. People talk.
My problem is not so much with the fact that there are rumours like this about Alison Sweeney, but it is the general disdain and hatred that people seem to be spewing at her constantly BECAUSE of all this hearsay...it's very high school to me.

I think that is VERY unfair towards the actress, who from my own views, has done nothing publicly to warrant such attacks.

I am not Sami cheerleader nor am I a fan of how she has been written for the last few years, but I find all of this bitterness towards Sweeney to be baseless, cruel and very unfair especially considering there is no concrete proof of anything.

I feel like people are just feeding off all of this and attack her constantly for it.

Its one thing to hate a character (due to lazy and or poor writing) or the show for shoving them in our faces constantly, but it is another to turn all that onto the actor themselves.
Edited by Mitchapalooza, May 25 2010, 04:09 PM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Locked Topic