Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Weekly Discussion: 5/24-5/28
Topic Started: May 22 2010, 03:38 AM (14,539 Views)
Sindacco
Member Avatar

DAYS OF OUR LIVES
Weekly Discussion
Week of May 24th

Classic clips: Shane returns to Salem (2002).

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

IMissAremid
Member Avatar
After all... tomorrow is another day!

I just noticed Brady's skateboard ramp hair I don't like now resembles John's in this clip. So maybe that haircut actually has some logic to it?

And Lisa Rinna's Billie trying to play cop cracks me up.

TFP, Sindacco!

Sindacco
Member Avatar

IMissAremid
May 22 2010, 10:06 AM
I just noticed Brady's skateboard ramp hair I don't like now resembles John's in this clip. So maybe that haircut actually has some logic to it?
I like that haircut on John but I think it looks ridicules on Brady.

IMissAremid
Member Avatar
After all... tomorrow is another day!

OK it looks like a lot of discussion about Monday's show has taken over the spoiler threads but hopefully we can move some of that over here...

I really don't get what the show thinks it's accomplishing with how they are writing Sami. I mean as an EJami fan I enjoy them kissing and the sexual tension between them after the kiss, and at the same obviously am not really excited about her declaring her love for Rafe and wanting to give her kids to him STILL, but I don't even know where to begin in processing what the hell these two things being in the same episode is supposed to mean. I guess I'm used to Sami being in denial about her feelings for EJ and resisting him at the same time she's strongly attracted to him so I get that but if Safe is supposed to be the rooting couple, which I actually think they are, what is rootable about Sami and Rafe being together when Sami is being written so fickle or bipolar or sex-crazed that she can't just share a seat on the couch with her ex without trying to jump him, even if after she heads upstairs after being cockblocked by Stefano she says the right things toward Rafe when she has a monologue fantasizing about some unrealistic picture perfect scenario with Rafe and her playing house.

Now I don't claim to have any certainty that the show will actually give me any sort of real EJami payoff based on what we have seen, but Monday's show has given me the impression that Rafe is more of a fantasy than a real love for her. I mean what the hell is she talking about how things will be "perfect" if Rafe is back and they have a family together? If Rafe comes back she'll be splitting up her kids from each other because she won't be living in the mansion any more and her kids will no longer have their parents under the same roof and Sami will have to go back to sharing custody. That's not perfect. She'll also no longer be living in a huge fabulous house with 24/7 maid/cooking service. Sorry, but DAYS hasn't sold me on Rafe's other perfections with his math whiz and FBI jacket-purchasing shit we've only been told about but not actually seen on screen so it just doesn't make any sense to me based on what we've seen why Rafe is such a "perfect" alternative to EJ based on what Sami knows (or doesn't know) about EJ at this point.

It's almost like they are writing Sami fixated on this fantasy to the point that she will drag this on and on and I wonder if by the time she comes around to actually admitting her feelings for EJ we'll be hearing him say, "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn."

I also wonder what will come of Rafe's big fantasy sequence about finding Sami at the mansion and declaring his love for her given what we know about Sami and Rafe sharing scenes at the DiMansion the week of Alice's funeral according to those scripts that Jason posted. Will things come down like Rafe hoped with him actually having info on EJ or will he come back to find Sami less receptive?
Edited by IMissAremid, May 23 2010, 06:32 PM.

peaches179

The writers are trying to please both fanbases. In process they're making Sami pathetic. I have a feeling as long as all the actors are on the show, there're going to drag this out for a long time to come.

jackie1133

IMissAremid
May 23 2010, 04:56 PM
OK it looks like a lot of discussion about Monday's show has taken over the spoiler threads but hopefully we can move some of that over here...

I really don't get what the show thinks it's accomplishing with how they are writing Sami. I mean as an EJami fan I enjoy them kissing and the sexual tension between them after the kiss, and at the same obviously am not really excited about her declaring her love for Rafe and wanting to give her kids to him STILL, but I don't even know where to begin in processing what the hell these two things being in the same episode is supposed to mean. I guess I'm used to Sami being in denial about her feelings for EJ and resisting him at the same time she's strongly attracted to him so I get that but if Safe is supposed to be the rooting couple, which I actually think they are, what is rootable about Sami and Rafe being together when Sami is being written so fickle or bipolar or sex-crazed that she can't just share a seat on the couch with her ex without trying to jump him, even if after she heads upstairs after being cockblocked by Stefano she says the right things toward Rafe when she has a monologue fantasizing about some unrealistic picture perfect scenario with Rafe and her playing house.

Now I don't claim to have any certainty that the show will actually give me any sort of real EJami payoff based on what we have seen, but Monday's show has given me the impression that Rafe is more of a fantasy than a real love for her. I mean what the hell is she talking about how things will be "perfect" if Rafe is back and they have a family together? If Rafe comes back she'll be splitting up her kids from each other because she won't be living in the mansion any more and her kids will no longer have their parents under the same roof and Sami will have to go back to sharing custody. That's not perfect. She'll also no longer be living in a huge fabulous house with 24/7 maid/cooking service. Sorry, but DAYS hasn't sold me on Rafe's other perfections with his math whiz and FBI jacket-purchasing shit we've only been told about but not actually seen on screen so it just doesn't make any sense to me based on what we've seen why Rafe is such a "perfect" alternative to EJ based on what Sami knows (or doesn't know) about EJ at this point.

It's almost like they are writing Sami fixated on this fantasy to the point that she will drag this on and on and I wonder if by the time she comes around to actually admitting her feelings for EJ we'll be hearing him say, "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn."

I also wonder what will come of Rafe's big fantasy sequence about finding Sami at the mansion and declaring his love for her given what we know about Sami and Rafe sharing scenes at the DiMansion the week of Alice's funeral according to those scripts that Jason posted. Will things come down like Rafe hoped with him actually having info on EJ or will he come back to find Sami less receptive?
I think Safe stopped being the root for couple the moment Sami started initiating emotional and romantic intimacy with EJ. It's akin to Chloe sleeping with Daniel but still living with Lucas and saying ILU, same thing in my book. Luloe were no longer the root for couple no matter how long it took for the official split to occur, and I now see Safe in that same light. Whether Ejami eventually morph into full couple status or not.

My impression of Sami in Monday's show is that she felt the sting of Rejection when EJ brought issues like "regret the next morning" to the table after their kiss. And in a defensive reaction, she threw her so called love for Rafe in his face, then slammed the door on the way out, a clear indication that she was angry. After which, she then backtrack to clinging to the Rafe fantasy like it's a life jacket.

Rafe's dream implied to me that his fantasy will not match his Reality and what he's expecting to find when he return to town.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

IMissAremid

This is an excellent post. And, you brought to light something I've noticed about Sami for a while now...she likes to consistently use the word "perfect".
"When Rafe comes back, things will be perfect." "When Carrie leaves austin, things will be perfect." She uses it a lot, like a teen very unrealistic about relationships.

lysie
Member Avatar

IMissAremid

Good post!

I actually see pretty much the same Sami onscreen now that has always been onscreen. It's amazing how much less appealing it is in a thirtysomething mother of four. It's past time for this character to grow up, and it is possible to do that without making her lose her personality. I think it's kind of sad now that whenever she has scenes with Kate all I can think about is how out of her league she is. That wasn't the case five years ago.

Paxton
Member Avatar
Dreaming of a Melanie-free Days

Quote:

If Rafe comes back she'll be splitting up her kids from each other because she won't be living in the mansion any more and her kids will no longer have their parents under the same roof and Sami will have to go back to sharing custody.

Two of her kids already don't have their parents under the same roof, a little fact that keeps getting swept under the rug and which makes this contrived move into DiMansion even more irritating than it would already be to me. If Will and Allie have feelings and desires to have the same nuclear family unit Sami herself always dreamed of then too bad for them, apparently.
Edited by Paxton, May 23 2010, 08:31 PM.

jackie1133

Paxton
May 23 2010, 08:30 PM
Quote:

If Rafe comes back she'll be splitting up her kids from each other because she won't be living in the mansion any more and her kids will no longer have their parents under the same roof and Sami will have to go back to sharing custody.

Two of her kids already don't have their parents under the same roof, a little fact that keeps getting swept under the rug and which makes this contrived move into DiMansion even more irritating than it would already be to me. If Will and Allie have feelings and desires to have the same nuclear family unit Sami herself always dreamed of then too bad for them, apparently.
But Sami claimed that one of the reasons she moved into the mansion was because shuffling Sydney (specifically) back and forth was making it difficult for her to begin to form a mother/daughter bond with the baby, following the Baby Switch/Sydnapping. Her bond with Will/Allie is already established, plus with Lucas off the show, unless Sami is moving to Hong Kong too, there's no way she could provide the nuclear family unit for them regardless..

lysie
Member Avatar

jackie1133
May 23 2010, 08:54 PM
Paxton
May 23 2010, 08:30 PM
Quote:

But Sami claimed that one of the reasons she moved into the mansion was because shuffling Sydney (specifically) back and forth was making it difficult for her to begin to form a mother/daughter bond with the baby, following the Baby Switch/Sydnapping. Her bond with Will/Allie is already established, plus with Lucas off the show, unless Sami is moving to Hong Kong too, there's no way she could provide the nuclear family unit for them regardless..
LOL. I think we've more than seen that her bond with Will is not more than established.

jackie1133

lysie
May 23 2010, 08:59 PM
LOL. I think we've more than seen that her bond with Will is not more than established.
Actually, I think Will and Sami love each other very much, it's the reason why they bump heads because they are a lot alike IMO. I don't see where she doesn't have a bond with her son just because he has entered the puberty stage, LOL.

Paxton
Member Avatar
Dreaming of a Melanie-free Days

Quote:

unless Sami is moving to Hong Kong too

How I would celebrate then--not because she would be reunited with Lucas, as I couldn't give a fuck about Lumi, but maybe I could watch the show again without that waste of space clogging up screentime.

I really don't give a fuck about Sami's "reasoning," because it's all bullshit. The point is that the show skips over 95% of all emotional beats and/or anything that stands in the way of the plot. I just find it very, very irritating that Sami--who spent years whining and bitching and crying about how her bio parents should be together and only got over it when she was, like, 30--is completely oblivious to the impact her own multi-baby daddies is having on the two kids whose daddy is conveniently offscreen. Because she's a selfish, immature hypocrite whose major interest is ensuring that, unlike most of her teens and twenties, some dick is interested in her.

Edited by Paxton, May 23 2010, 09:09 PM.

lysie
Member Avatar

jackie1133
May 23 2010, 09:01 PM
lysie
Actually, I think Will and Sami love each other very much, it's the reason why they bump heads because they are a lot alike IMO. I don't see where she doesn't have a bond with her son just because he has entered the puberty stage, LOL.
Eh. You see bond, I see sense of obligation. They also made a point of showing that her bond with Johnny isn't the greatest, so I have no reason to believe she has a good bond with Allie either. But far be it for me to stand in the way of a move to China.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

Paxton
May 23 2010, 09:07 PM
Quote:

How I would celebrate then--not because she would be reunited with Lucas, as I couldn't give a fuck about Lumi, but maybe I could watch the show again without that waste of space clogging up screentime.

I really don't give a fuck about Sami's "reasoning," because it's all bullshit. The point is that the show skips over 95% of all emotional beats and/or anything that stands in the way of the plot. I just find it very, very irritating that Sami--who spent years whining and bitching and crying about how her bio parents should be together and only got over it when she was, like, 30--is completely oblivious to the impact her own multi-baby daddies is having on the two kids whose daddy is conveniently offscreen. Because she's a selfish, immature hypocrite whose major interest is ensuring that, unlike most of her teens and twenties, some dick is interested in her.
Posted Image

jackie1133

lysie
May 23 2010, 09:11 PM
jackie1133
lysie
Eh. You see bond, I see sense of obligation. They also made a point of showing that her bond with Johnny isn't the greatest, so I have no reason to believe she has a good bond with Allie either. But far be it for me to stand in the way of a move to China.
If you really believe that Sami does not love all of her children, but is merely obligated to them, that's the end of the debate... :laugh:

lysie
Member Avatar

jackie1133
May 23 2010, 09:15 PM
lysie
jackie1133

Quoting limited to 3 levels deep
If you really believe that Sami does not love all of her children, but is merely obligated to them, that's the end of the debate... :laugh:
I wasn't talking about Sami. I don't think Sami feels a sense of obligation to them at all, lol. I also think that Sami may love her kids about as much as she's capable of loving anyone that's not herself.

jackie1133

Paxton
May 23 2010, 09:07 PM
Quote:

But of course, the Plot rule. Days isn't all that different from how any other soap is written in that regard though...

In the current plot, I think Sami is getting a taste of her own medicine from Will, but instead of him ranting about having a nuclear family with Lucas/Allie, Rafe/Safe has become his "stand in" substitute.

Because YES, it's always about the Plot.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

lysie
May 23 2010, 09:16 PM
jackie1133
May 23 2010, 09:15 PM
lysie

Quoting limited to 3 levels deep
I wasn't talking about Sami. I don't think Sami feels a sense of obligation to them at all, lol. I also think that Sami may love her kids about as much as she's capable of loving anyone that's not herself.
Or what she perceives as love...to whit: how they fulfill HER and make HER feel about HERSELF.

Manda1

IMissAremid

Rafe dreamed of reunions with Sami when he was on the boat after almost drowning and those scenes were tame in comparison to the real reunion after she caught him leaving her apartment on November 4th :wub: So I don't think that there is any reason to believe their reunion is going to be disappointing or horrible...based on GGs interviews although they have not been explicit I think they will be still very much in love by the time Rafe returns and may want to get back together but its not going to be automatic or simple....as they have a ton of issues to work through.....

I like that Sami was talking and thinking about a reunion with Rafe whilst all alone in bed at night, she first realised she was in love with him when she was all alone too. I think her talk of feelings, thoughts and desired in private have a definite ring of truth to it because shes saying she wants to get back to Rafe which is her dream whilst acknowledging that EJs been nice too and that she is grateful to him. JMO

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply